The Feast of Booths, the Feast of Tabernacles, Sukkot, Succot.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 10, 2023
Didn't you say that the new covenant will be coming in the future? I thought that you related the new covenant to people going up to the feast of tabernacles?
What I meant is that, assuming the Zechariah passage is referencing a future event, it would clearly be occuring after the establishment of the new covenant.

Sep 25, 2023
Washington State
The Feast of Tabernacles, the New Covenant, and Israel and the New Covenant.

Is the following future to Zechariah?

Israel has a new covenant in Jesus. It is day four of the feast of tabernacles. Not sure what to think. I have been in the last chapter of Zechariah.

https://www.quora.com/Why-didnt-ancient-Egypt-invade-the-ancient-state-of-Israel Profile photo for Bob Smith
Bob Smith

Studied Archaeology & Egyptian (language) at Hebrew University of JerusalemAuthor has 1.9K answers and 537.4K answer views2y

Egypt did invade ancient Israel on several occasions, beginning in about 1207 B.C., with the invasion of King Merneptah (he mentions Israel in his famous stele, line 27), then with the invasion of Judah by King Shishaq I in 926 B.C. (I Ki 14:25, II Chron 12:1-12). A little later, King Osorkon I apparently tried to invade, but failed. King Neco invaded in 612 B.C. and killed King Josiah of Judah (II Ki 23:29, II Chron 35:20 - 36:1).

Sep 25, 2023
Washington State
The Feast of Tabernacles, the New Covenant, and Israel and the New Covenant.

Is the following future to Zechariah?

Israel has a new covenant in Jesus. It is day four of the feast of tabernacles. Not sure what to think. I have been in the last chapter of Zechariah.

https://www.quora.com/Why-didnt-ancient-Egypt-invade-the-ancient-state-of-Israel Profile photo for Bob Smith
Bob Smith

Studied Archaeology & Egyptian (language) at Hebrew University of JerusalemAuthor has 1.9K answers and 537.4K answer views2y

Egypt did invade ancient Israel on several occasions, beginning in about 1207 B.C., with the invasion of King Merneptah (he mentions Israel in his famous stele, line 27), then with the invasion of Judah by King Shishaq I in 926 B.C. (I Ki 14:25, II Chron 12:1-12). A little later, King Osorkon I apparently tried to invade, but failed. King Neco invaded in 612 B.C. and killed King Josiah of Judah (II Ki 23:29, II Chron 35:20 - 36:1).
Here are the scriptures from this.

1 Kings 14:25 NASB20 - Now it happened in the fifth year of King Rehoboam, that Shishak the king of Egypt marched against Jerusalem.

2 Chronicles 12:1-12 NASB20 - When the kingdom of Rehoboam was established and strong, he and all Israel with him abandoned the Law of the LORD. And it came about in King Rehoboam's fifth year, because they had been unfaithful to the LORD, that Shishak king of Egypt came up against Jerusalem with 1,200 chariots and sixty thousand horsemen. And the people who came with him from Egypt were innumerable: the Lubim, the Sukkiim, and the Ethiopians. And he captured the fortified cities of Judah and came as far as Jerusalem. Then Shemaiah the prophet came to Rehoboam and the princes of Judah who had gathered at Jerusalem because of Shishak, and he said to them, "This is what the LORD says: 'You have abandoned Me, so I also have abandoned you to Shishak.'" So the princes of Israel and the king humbled themselves and said, "The LORD is righteous." When the LORD saw that they had humbled themselves, the word of the LORD came to Shemaiah, saying, "They have humbled themselves, [so] I will not destroy them; and I will grant them a little deliverance, and My wrath will not be poured out on Jerusalem by means of Shishak. "But they will become his slaves, so that they may learn [the difference between] My service and the service of the kingdoms of the countries." So Shishak king of Egypt went up against Jerusalem, and he took the treasures of the house of the LORD and the treasures of the king's palace. He took everything; he even took the gold shields which Solomon had made. Then King Rehoboam made shields of bronze in their place and committed them to the care of the commanders of the guards who guarded the entrance of the king's house. As often as the king entered the house of the LORD, the guards came and carried them and [then] brought them back into the guards' room. And when he humbled himself, the anger of the LORD turned away from him, so as not to destroy [him] completely; and conditions were also good in Judah.

2 Kings 23:29 NASB20 - In his days Pharaoh Neco king of Egypt went up to the king of Assyria at the river Euphrates. And King Josiah went to meet him, and when [Pharaoh Neco] saw him he killed him at Megiddo.

2 Chronicles 35:20-27 NASB20 - After all this, when Josiah had set the temple in order, Neco king of Egypt came up to wage war at Carchemish on the Euphrates, and Josiah went out to engage him. But Neco sent messengers to him, saying, "What business do you have with me, King of Judah? [I am] not [coming] against you today, but against the house with which I am at war, and God has told me to hurry. For your own sake, stop [interfering with] God who is with me, so that He does not destroy you." However, Josiah would not turn away from him, but disguised himself in order to fight against him; nor did he listen to the words of Neco from the mouth of God, but he came to wage war on the plain of Megiddo. The archers shot King Josiah, and the king said to his servants, "Take me away, for I am badly wounded." So his servants took him out of the chariot and carried him on the second chariot which he had, and brought him to Jerusalem where he died and was buried in the tombs of his fathers. All Judah and Jerusalem mourned for Josiah. Then Jeremiah chanted a song of mourning for Josiah. And all the male and female singers speak about Josiah in their songs of mourning to this day. And they made them an ordinance in Israel; behold, they are also written in the Lamentations. Now the rest of the acts of Josiah and his deeds of devotion as written in the Law of the LORD, and his acts, the first to the last, behold, they are written in the Book of the Kings of Israel and Judah.

2 Chronicles 36:1 NASB20 - Then the people of the land took Joahaz the son of Josiah and made him king in place of his father in Jerusalem.

KohenMatt

Jun 28, 2013
It's definitely a blessing for Believers to celebrate Sukkot (and all of the other Biblical Feasts for that matter.) The blessing comes in the context in which you celebrate it. God tells His people to celebrate Sukkot forever (I see all Believers as "God's people.) So there is the element of being obedient to the instructions God gives His people. But we also need to remember that we are now not required to obey the commands for any hope of atonement or salvation, but to remember and celebrate how God took care of His people.

Our church has been celebrating Sukkot for almost 20 years(#18 for me). As we've done most of those years, our congregation camped out on our church property in tents, campers, RV's and even hammocks for 8 days. We shared 3 meals a day together, had 1-3 teachings, workshops or services each day, and had various fun activities for everyone.

birdie

Sep 16, 2014
In Zechariah... the Feast of Tabernacles (or, the Feast of Booths) is spoken of with Gentile involvement.

Since there is a new covenant for Israel, and since this was a prophecy that may have already had it's fulfillment, is this still for today?

Leviticus 23:34 NASB20 - "Speak to the sons of Israel, saying, 'On the fifteenth of this seventh month is the Feast of Booths for seven days to the LORD.

Deuteronomy 16:13, 16 NASB20 - "You shall celebrate the Feast of Booths for seven days when you have gathered in from your threshing floor and your wine vat; ... "Three times a year all your males shall appear before the LORD your God at the place which He chooses: at the Feast of Unleavened Bread, at the Feast of Weeks, and at the Feast of Booths; and they are not to appear before the LORD empty-handed.

Deuteronomy 31:10 NASB20 - Then Moses commanded them, saying, "At the end of [every] seven years, at the time of the year of the release of debts, at the Feast of Booths,

2 Chronicles 8:13 NASB20 - and [he did so] according to the daily rule, offering [them] up according to the commandment of Moses, for the Sabbaths, the new moons, and the three annual feasts--the Feast of Unleavened Bread, the Feast of Weeks, and the Feast of Booths.

Ezra 3:4 NASB20 - They also celebrated the Feast of Booths, as it is written, and [offered] the prescribed number of burnt offerings daily, according to the ordinance, as each day required;

Zechariah 14:16, 18-19 NASB20 - Then it will come about that any who are left of all the nations that came against Jerusalem will go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of armies, and to celebrate the Feast of Booths. ... And if the family of Egypt does not go up or enter, then no [rain will fall] on them; it will be the plague with which the LORD strikes the nations that do not go up to celebrate the Feast of Booths. This will be the punishment of Egypt, and the punishment of all the nations that do not go up to celebrate the Feast of Booths.

John 7:2 NASB20 - Now the feast of the Jews, the Feast of Booths, was near.

Nehemiah 8:14 NASB20 - And they found written in the Law how the LORD had commanded through Moses that the sons of Israel were to live in booths during the feast of the seventh month.
Thank you JacobMartinMertens for your question about: "And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles...And if the family of Egypt go not up, and come not, that have no rain; there shall be the plague, wherewith the LORD will smite the heathen that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles. This shall be the punishment of Egypt, and the punishment of all nations that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles. " KJV

The Bible uses parable language to describe believers and non-believers (Psalm 78:1-2, Mark 4:34). The Feast of Tabernacles is along those lines. For example, Jesus tabernacled amongst us (John 1:14). We read: "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us". The word used for dwelt here is defined in the concordance as:
  1. to fix one's tabernacle, have one's tabernacle, abide (or live) in a tabernacle (or tent), tabernacle
  2. to dwell
So the feast of tabernacles is about the word dwelling among us. If we have God's word in us, if we receive Jesus in that sense, then we are living in the word, that is living in tabernacles, living in Jesus. If we do not receive the word, the gospel, then we are called heathen in parable language. In that case we would be the unsaved. Egypt is a picture of this, parable language for the unsaved, in the Zechariah verses you mention. Notice that those nations that were against Jerusalem (against saved people, in parable language) have become saved such that they go up (spiritually speaking) to worship the Lord who is now able to tabernacle or dwell amongst them. They are able to live in his words, if you will. But those who are unsaved, do not live or 'tabernacle' in his word, and so have a plague so to speak. That plague is that they are unsaved.

The Old Testament is not disregarded as a part of the Bible since Jesus has come, but it speaks of Jesus and his new covenant. It just does so using parable language. For example, In Leviticus 14 we read about a ritual: "Then shall the priest command to take for him that is to be cleansed two birds alive and clean, and cedar wood, and scarlet, and hyssop: And the priest shall command that one of the birds be killed in an earthen vessel over running water: As for the living bird, he shall take it, and the cedar wood, and the scarlet, and the hyssop, and shall dip them and the living bird in the blood of the bird that was killed over the running water: And he shall sprinkle upon him that is to be cleansed from the leprosy seven times, and shall pronounce him clean, and shall let the living bird loose into the open field.
"
Here is a ritual that almost sounds like voodoo if you just do it for the ceremony. But if you realize it is using parable language to describe Jesus' sacrifice to cleanse a sinner and send him into the world with the gospel, then you realize that you don't need to do the ritual any longer. You just need to be cleansed from sin by Jesus.