The Galations incident.

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
The words 'confidence' and 'assurance' are not "feeling words" - they are based on knowledge and understanding - not 'feeling' or 'emotion'.

Having a knowledge and understanding of what God says - plus belief and faith - cultivates confidence and assurance - because, God does not lie.

To be legitimate in matters of faith, anything that is 'feeling' or 'emotion' is a by-product; in 'cause and effect' terms, it is always 'effect' and never 'cause'. If it is made to be 'cause', it becomes very dangerous.

You don't 'feel' belief and faith - you 'think' it, 'will' it, and 'know' it.
GaryA, can you tell me the source of your info? Maybe I can learn from that, too.
 
"It is pretty much impossible to honestly offer others healing, when you are virtually certain that the Holy Spirit isn't with you". Then Jesus is a liar when he said he would never leave you nor forsake you?
Get your mind off you- that is so important for all of us.
 
No, I don't think that Jesus is a liar. He tells the truth always.
What I fear is that He had never accepted me: that He didn't have to leave, because H was never with me to begin with.
I should remain silent...all that I am doing is making people angry.
I'm sorry. :(
 
GaryA, can you tell me the source of your info? Maybe I can learn from that, too.
Life in general? My understanding of the grammar and culture of the English language? The Bible?

Several things "come into play" as the 'total-sum' of my experience - from which the words of that post were drawn.

Of course, I am more than happy to point you to the Bible as the best place to learn from.
 
Thank you, Gary. I misunderstood. I thought that you were saying that the original Greek had been mistranslated. Returning to silence.
 
The words 'confidence' and 'assurance' are not "feeling words" - they are based on knowledge and understanding - not 'feeling' or 'emotion'.
Well, just this. It's the sort of thing a Biblical scholar might have said about a word or phrase that had been mistranslated, in his or her opinion. Of course, you made no such claim, and now I feel silly.
GaryA, I'm afraid that your experience and mine are quite different: the people that I grew up with always used the words "confidence" and "assurance" to describe emotions.
Returning to silence, now.
 
I owe shittim, Scribe, GaryA and all of you others a humble apology. It took me long enough, but I finally got around to buying a King James Bible and dragging out my Strong's Concordance. Going by the original Greek, The words translated as "confidence" and "assurance" in the NIV have more to do with substance or foundation in the first case, and proof in the second. I was wrong, and I hope that you folks will forgive me.
Shittim, I am trying to follow your advice, but it is an uphill battle. Please pray for me, if you are willing.
God's blessings on all of you!
 
You seem to have a heck of a pity party going, Jesus paid everything for all of us, restoration healing blessing, favor, etc.
we must leave ALL our negative life experiences behind, He tells us clearly "ALL things become new".
His mercies are NEW every morning.
You owe me no apology, focus on Christ and Christ alone.
blessings