The Gift Of Tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

SophieT

The only biblical answers we can get are gleaned from the book of acts. But it appears to be the supernatural ability to speak in some kind of language.
No. Paul actually explains more in his first letter to the Corinthians.

S

SophieT

Tongues are for a sign .They are languages . Jews seek after a sign .
So why did the Holy Spirit also fall on Gentiles? (book of Acts)

So if you are not Jewish, then the Holy Spirit passes you over?

1The apostles and brothers throughout Judea soon heard that the Gentiles also had received the word of God. 2So when Peter went up to Jerusalem, the circumcised believersa took issue with him 3and said, “You visited uncircumcised men and ate with them.”

4But Peter began and explained to them the whole sequence of events: 5“I was in the city of Joppa praying, and in a trance I saw a vision of something like a large sheet being let down from heaven by its four corners, and it came right down to me. 6I looked at it closely and saw four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, reptiles, and birds of the air. 7Then I heard a voice saying to me, ‘Get up, Peter, kill and eat.’

8‘No, Lord,’ I said, ‘for nothing impure or unclean has ever entered my mouth.’

9But the voice spoke from heaven a second time, ‘Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.’

10This happened three times, and everything was drawn back up into heaven.

11Just then three men sent to me from Caesarea stopped at the house where I was staying. 12The Spirit told me to accompany them without hesitation. These six brothers also went with me, and we entered the man’s home. 13He told us how he had seen an angel standing in his house and saying, ‘Send to Joppa for Simon who is called Peter. 14He will convey to you a message by which you and all your household will be saved.’

15As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them, just as He had fallen upon us at the beginning. 16Then I remembered the word of the Lord, as He used to say, ‘John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’c 17So if God gave them the same gift He gave us who believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to hinder the work of God?”

18When they heard this, their objections were put to rest, and they glorified God, saying, “So then, God has granted even the Gentiles repentance unto life.” Acts 11

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
So why did the Holy Spirit also fall on Gentiles? (book of Acts)

So if you are not Jewish, then the Holy Spirit passes you over?

1The apostles and brothers throughout Judea soon heard that the Gentiles also had received the word of God. 2So when Peter went up to Jerusalem, the circumcised believersa took issue with him 3and said, “You visited uncircumcised men and ate with them.”

4But Peter began and explained to them the whole sequence of events: 5“I was in the city of Joppa praying, and in a trance I saw a vision of something like a large sheet being let down from heaven by its four corners, and it came right down to me. 6I looked at it closely and saw four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, reptiles, and birds of the air. 7Then I heard a voice saying to me, ‘Get up, Peter, kill and eat.’

8‘No, Lord,’ I said, ‘for nothing impure or unclean has ever entered my mouth.’

9But the voice spoke from heaven a second time, ‘Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.’

10This happened three times, and everything was drawn back up into heaven.

11Just then three men sent to me from Caesarea stopped at the house where I was staying. 12The Spirit told me to accompany them without hesitation. These six brothers also went with me, and we entered the man’s home. 13He told us how he had seen an angel standing in his house and saying, ‘Send to Joppa for Simon who is called Peter. 14He will convey to you a message by which you and all your household will be saved.’

15As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them, just as He had fallen upon us at the beginning. 16Then I remembered the word of the Lord, as He used to say, ‘John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’c 17So if God gave them the same gift He gave us who believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to hinder the work of God?”

18When they heard this, their objections were put to rest, and they glorified God, saying, “So then, God has granted even the Gentiles repentance unto life.” Acts 11
What has this got to do with sign gifts ? I believe everyone receives the Holy spirit after they believe. Eph 1 .12 -13

S

SophieT

How does the charismatic churches rectify this?
First of all, the church is the body of Christ. Second, how are Baptist and other churches that teach cessationism going to rectify that?

There are many leaders in Charismatic circles that actually ARE trying to deal with excess and blatantly wrong behavior

I'm not Charasmatic and not Pentecostal but also not a cessationist. There are thousands who speak in tongues or have gifts of the Spirit that are not within the named denoms.

S

SophieT

What has this got to do with sign gifts ?
smh

The Gentiles received the Holy Spirit with speaking in tongues. Your wrong understanding does not provide for that with regard to tongues.

Paul explains the different types of tongues. I Corinthians 14. Tongues is a gift with different usage beside sign. As this is plainly explained in scripture, I'm not going to address any continued objections. You apparently are not aware of what Paul teaches, or you choose to disregard it. So again, the Bible speaks plainly of the different types of tongues. Therefore, I don't need to play back and forth.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
if you have a problem with people praising God in languages you dont know, you dont belong in a multicultural church.

restrict it to BBC english speaking men only lol. No children either, they just talk baby talk. Who understands what they are on about?!

B

Blackpowderduelist

I was talking in specific about occasions or occurrences. In answering the question as to what speaking in tongues is.

B

Blackpowderduelist

First of all, the church is the body of Christ. Second, how are Baptist and other churches that teach cessationism going to rectify that?
Cessationists have their explanations and their scriptural position from which they make their arguement.
There are many leaders in Charismatic circles that actually ARE trying to deal with excess and blatantly wrong behavior
Please point me to one, because I haven't seen or heard of them.
I'm not Charasmatic and not Pentecostal but also not a cessationist. There are thousands who speak in tongues or have gifts of the Spirit that are not within the named denoms.
The more I witness the more I tend to want to agree with the cessationists.

S

Scribe

Cessationists have their explanations and their scriptural position from which they make their arguement.

The more I read the Book of Acts the more I want infillings of the Holy Spirit and power to be a witness.

B

Blackpowderduelist

The more I read the Book of Acts the more I want infillings of the Holy Spirit and power to be a witness.
I am filled with the Holy Spirit, and am empowered to be a witness.

soberxp

May 3, 2018
Tongues I always thought it was, for example, English, French, Italian, German,
I can't imagine how Hebrew speakers communicate with other languages, or how they transmit the word of God to people in different dialects In the early stage.
or
Were all the early apostles language geniuses?

I understand that God has directly given them the power of language/ Tongues ?

S

SophieT

The only biblical answers we can get are gleaned from the book of acts. But it appears to be the supernatural ability to speak in some kind of language.
To which I replied:

Your response to IndianGirl was that the only answers regarding unknown tongues are in the book of Acts and I replied that Paul actually explains more in Corinthians.

Now, you say
I was talking in specific about occasions or occurrences. In answering the question as to what speaking in tongues is.
So when you said that Acts was the only place to find biblical answers, what you actually meant was that Acts is the only place to find biblical answers.

Except for the teaching of Paul who was not there on the day of Pentecost.

My answer is the same. It is not just Acts.

S

SophieT

You know, I have the kind of impression you do already reside with the cessationists but just in case they are wrong, well, you make an arguement for both. You have the Bible as do they. If you have not heard anyone who does in speak in tongues disagreeing with the craziness, then I would suggest you go looking. That's what I did. The internet is a big big place and there are books out as well you can purchase from Amazon or whoever. The fact you have not done or heard or whatever, does not mean no one else has either.

Further, if you were wanting to go beyond the crazy videos, you would. We act on our beliefs and of course there is an endless supply from cessationists on the internet to further create chaos. To which you and those who enjoy those videos, are welcome. :)

People here who speak in tongues and do know all the Bible says about it, have repeatedly said the bad actors in the videos are not behaving properly. But I guess that is not good enough for some and we are just ignored. Not my problem.

S

SophieT

The gift of tongues is certainly not gibberish.
That's the bottom line right there.

People are not even responding to the op, which was admittedly over long, but just doing what they always do. Giving their own opinion and trying to force it into the text.

If someone were actually even just curious about the subject, they have plenty of good info of which to avail themselves.

Otherwise, y'all are just howling at the moon.

B

Blackpowderduelist

You know, I have the kind of impression you do already reside with the cessationists but just in case they are wrong, well, you make an arguement for both. You have the Bible as do they. If you have not heard anyone who does in speak in tongues disagreeing with the craziness, then I would suggest you go looking. That's what I did. The internet is a big big place and there are books out as well you can purchase from Amazon or whoever. The fact you have not done or heard or whatever, does not mean no one else has either.

Further, if you were wanting to go beyond the crazy videos, you would. We act on our beliefs and of course there is an endless supply from cessationists on the internet to further create chaos. To which you and those who enjoy those videos, are welcome. :)

People here who speak in tongues and do know all the Bible says about it, have repeatedly said the bad actors in the videos are not behaving properly. But I guess that is not good enough for some and we are just ignored. Not my problem.
So you won't supply a link, or a name of a teacher to look up their teaching?

S

SophieT

So you won't supply a link, or a name of a teacher to look up their teaching?
I never said anything about teaching. I said the nonsense is being refuted. If you are interested, and not just interested in somehow making it seem I am all mixed up because I won't give you a list, you can search yourself. Which, I maintain, you would have done or will do.

See, you don't really ask for a list. Instead your approach is negative and you say that I wont. I bet you have turned the tables on people with that little immature trick, but I find it sad. And now you will say I said I won't and it will go on and on because that is how you approach things apparently. Questions supply answers. Demands cause people to back off.

Have you actually read the op? If you say yes I won't believe you because you have offered NOTHING to indicate that you have.

I have a difficult time talking to someone who just constantly looks for something they think they can point to with the desire to be right no matter what. Sorry to say, that is about where I am at with you. I do not agree with the way you think generally speaking anyway, so I think I will leave it at that. And you can have the last word.

GiveThanks

God Will Make A Way
Dec 6, 2020
I think we need to define what is tongues? Simple question - must it be another known language?
Is tongues a special language/form of communication (code talk) between the person speaking tongues and God? If that is the case, it makes sense why other people may not understand the tongues someone is speaking.

What is the purpose of tongues?

What is a language that is not known (unknown)?
This is my understanding of tongues. There are two of them. One which only God can understand which is spoken when you are alone with God, and the other tongue is a known language that if the people from other nations heard it, they would understsnd it without the need of an interpreter.

Scripure says clearly tongues must be spoken with interpreter. But i see a lot of Christians blatantly going against this command. If everyone in the church speaks English, im not sure why someone will start speaking in tongues that no one understands🤷🏾‍♀️.

S

SophieT

This is my understanding of tongues. There are two of them. One which only God can understand which is spoken when you are alone with God, and the other tongue is a known language that if the people from other nations heard it, they would understsnd it without the need of an interpreter.

Scripure says clearly tongues must be spoken with interpreter. But i see a lot of Christians blatantly going against this command. If everyone in the church speaks English, im not sure why someone will start speaking in tongues that no one understands🤷🏾‍♀️.

You didn't read the op either, huh? The blatant disregard is on the part of those who answer a question they do not actually have an answer for.

I Corinthians 14 for a better understand. Paul has some excellent instruction going on there.

GiveThanks

God Will Make A Way
Dec 6, 2020
You didn't read the op either, huh? The blatant disregard is on the part of those who answer a question they do not actually have an answer for.

I Corinthians 14 for a better understand. Paul has some excellent instruction going on there.
The OP was rather long...

GiveThanks

God Will Make A Way
Dec 6, 2020

Did you read it?