B
bap
Guest
Acts 7: 51-60
I love Stephen's final words before he is stoned to death. He says, "Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye."
First of all, I think there is a lot of hidden meaning in the phrase, "uncircumcised of heart." I haven't looked enough into it, but thus far I think it denotes tenderness of heart, humility and submissiveness, and an obedient heart -- one that follows the will and commandments of God, just as circumcision was a law for the believers.
Mainly, I love that he points out our natural tendencies to follow in the footsteps of our parents (whether for good or for evil, in this case it is evil though). I love this statement because it shows that we have to be aware of traditions of our parents and be able to distinguish what traditions are in harmony with God's teachings and what traditions pull us away from God.
In addition to these great principles, these verses also point out a vital doctrine/principle. As Stephen was dying he saw a vision of God and Jesus Christ. The account says, " But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up steadfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God, And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God." Here Stephen sees God AND Jesus Christ, implying that they were separate and distinct. Stephen not only testified and saw vision that God exists, but that God and Jesus Christ are separate beings.
I love Stephen's final words before he is stoned to death. He says, "Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye."
First of all, I think there is a lot of hidden meaning in the phrase, "uncircumcised of heart." I haven't looked enough into it, but thus far I think it denotes tenderness of heart, humility and submissiveness, and an obedient heart -- one that follows the will and commandments of God, just as circumcision was a law for the believers.
Mainly, I love that he points out our natural tendencies to follow in the footsteps of our parents (whether for good or for evil, in this case it is evil though). I love this statement because it shows that we have to be aware of traditions of our parents and be able to distinguish what traditions are in harmony with God's teachings and what traditions pull us away from God.
In addition to these great principles, these verses also point out a vital doctrine/principle. As Stephen was dying he saw a vision of God and Jesus Christ. The account says, " But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up steadfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God, And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God." Here Stephen sees God AND Jesus Christ, implying that they were separate and distinct. Stephen not only testified and saw vision that God exists, but that God and Jesus Christ are separate beings.