The Gospel??

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Platosgal

Mar 17, 2020
Ever wonder why the only time repentance was ever linked to Paul was in Acts, and not anywhere in Romans to Philemon?

Read Romans

"Let not SIN therefore reign in your MIND and mortal body..."
"So then they that are in the flesh CAN NOT please God..."

T
Rom 12 - 1 -I beseech you therefore brethren BY the mercies of GOD
That you present your Bodies a living sacrifice
Holy acceptable unto GOD
which is your reasonable service

Who taught you such a flimsy grace?? What teacher will you listen to to make you comfortable enough to miss all the goodness GOD
Has in real salvation??

Read it yourself!!

The Romans he was addressing already experienced the original Repent be baptized and be saved revival
But now they were living the old way

Paul was telling them to straighten up and fly right

God requires Repentance - its all there in every book

Jan 12, 2019
Read Romans

"Let not SIN therefore reign in your MIND and mortal body..."
"So then they that are in the flesh CAN NOT please God..."

T
Rom 12 - 1 -I beseech you therefore brethren BY the mercies of GOD
That you present your Bodies a living sacrifice
Holy acceptable unto GOD
which is your reasonable service

Who taught you such a flimsy grace?? What teacher will you listen to to make you comfortable enough to miss all the goodness GOD
Has in real salvation??

Read it yourself!!

The Romans he was addressing already experienced the original Repent be baptized and be saved revival
But now they were living the old way

Paul was telling them to straighten up and fly right

There is no mention of repentance in those verses you used.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
There is no mention of repentance in those verses you used.

When Paul wrote his letters to the churches he was writing to address certain questions or problems that had arose within the church..Notice that he was writing to those who where already 'saved' so there was no need to repent and believe.. they already had. He was writing to those who were already brothers and sisters in Christ.

So in the epistles, Paul writing to believers, but God in his wisdom has shown us how Paul spoke to unbelievers:

In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent (17:30).

This was part of the message that Paul had previously delivered to those in his letters (to those he evangelized):

You know that I have not hesitated to preach anything that would be helpful to you but have taught you publicly and from house to house. I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus (Acts 20:20-21).

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Repentance was needed from Israel under the gospel of the kingdom (Acts 2:38, etc).

For us under Paul's gospel of grace, its not needed, as stated in 1 Cor 15:1-4, Romans 10:9, Romans 4:5 etc.
I don't think there is any scripture that justifies your preaching that we do not have one true God, but there is a different God for Israel who gives a different message to mankind. Paul spoke from the one true God. Not a God who was separate.

Simona1988

Mar 15, 2021
The whole New Testament is crossed from the beginning until the end by the summon to repentance.

B

Blackpowderduelist

What IS " The Gospel"?
I am musing on Christ " Pre Cross" sending 70 disciples out to " Preach the Gospel"
I have the idea ( and I can be wrong - please correct me if so)
I am thinking " The Gospel" may be the very Presence of Christ
And that the repentance of sins PLUS Christs presence is the good news that we can escape the curse of sin?
Help me out smartie biblical scholars..I find this a very important bit of information to get right.
In a nut shell

Jan 12, 2019
I don't think there is any scripture that justifies your preaching that we do not have one true God, but there is a different God for Israel who gives a different message to mankind. Paul spoke from the one true God. Not a God who was separate.
I just read the Bible literally. I have provided all the necessary scripture in that post.

Jan 12, 2019
When Paul wrote his letters to the churches he was writing to address certain questions or problems that had arose within the church..Notice that he was writing to those who where already 'saved' so there was no need to repent and believe.. they already had. He was writing to those who were already brothers and sisters in Christ.

So in the epistles, Paul writing to believers, but God in his wisdom has shown us how Paul spoke to unbelievers:

In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent (17:30).

This was part of the message that Paul had previously delivered to those in his letters (to those he evangelized):

You know that I have not hesitated to preach anything that would be helpful to you but have taught you publicly and from house to house. I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus (Acts 20:20-21).
You are supporting my point. When unbelievers believe the gospel found in 1 Cor 15:1-4, from God's perspective, they have repented.

So if you want to insist on repentance, I am fine, that is when repentance automatically happens.

As I have already noted, the only time the word repent or repentance was linked to Paul was in the Book of Acts.

You can never find the term repent or repentance in any of his letters Romans to Philemon. And quite a number of these books (Thess, Romans to 2 Corinthians) were written before Acts 20.

You would think that when he was addressing those carnal Christians of Corinth, who were sleeping with temple prostitutes and other "terrible sins" that it would be the best opportunity for him to use that word repentance, but he never did, not even once. Nuff said.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
The problem is wilful blindness. The first words out of the mouth of John the Baptist included "Repent". Ditto for Christ. And ditto for Peter on the day of Pentecost. And it must have been true for Paul also, since he tells us that that is what he had been preaching all along (Acts 20:21). So those who deny this are wilfully blind but also wilfully opposing the true Gospel.

Platosgal

Mar 17, 2020
Read acts 2 properly, especially Peter’s conclusion in acts 2:36

Peter did not say Christ died for the sins of Israel. He died because he was crucified by the Jews.

Peter did not say Christ was resurrected because Israel sins are put away. He was resurrected because he is the son of God.
I smell the aroma of Antisemitic whine

Jan 12, 2019
I smell the aroma of Antisemitic whine
Have you read Acts 2 properly, to either verify or disagree with my claim on what Peter was actually preaching to the Men of Israel?

Platosgal

Mar 17, 2020
Have you read Acts 2 properly, to either verify or disagree with my claim on what Peter was actually preaching to the Men of Israel?
You sir are in error

And you know you are in error
And I will not debate error.
Its absurd

Jan 12, 2019
You sir are in error

And you know you are in error
And I will not debate error.
Its absurd
If you don’t intend to read, of course no one can make you.

Nice discussing doctrine with you.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
The gospel is the "good news" of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) and is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that BELIEVES.. (Romans 1:16) To "believe" the gospel is to trust in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of our salvation.

Platosgal

Mar 17, 2020
The gospel is the "good news" of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) and is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that BELIEVES.. (Romans 1:16) To "believe" the gospel is to trust in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of our salvation.
The power of the Good News is more than
Believing
I think the power in the Gospel
Is Repentance

"Repent and be baptized"

Abandon self interest
Self rationalizations
Self Direction
And turn from sin
And follow Christ
For me this is energizing and more freeing than I can express

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
The power of the Good News is more than
Believing
I think the power in the Gospel
Is Repentance

"Repent and be baptized"

Abandon self interest
Self rationalizations
Self Direction
And turn from sin
And follow Christ
For me this is energizing and more freeing than I can express
Those who have truly repented believe the gospel/have placed their faith in Jesus Christ for salvation and those who believe the gospel have already repented in the process of changing their mind and choosing to believe the gospel/place their faith in Jesus Christ for salvation.

Mark 1:15 - ..“The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel.”

Luke 24:47 - and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Acts 3:19 - Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord.

Acts 11:17 - If therefore God gave them the same gift as He gave us when we believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could withstand God? 18 When they heard these things they became silent; and they glorified God, saying, “Then God has also granted to the Gentiles repentance unto life.”

Acts 20:21 - testifying both to Jews and to Greeks of repentance toward God and of faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019
What IS " The Gospel"?
I am musing on Christ " Pre Cross" sending 70 disciples out to " Preach the Gospel"
I have the idea ( and I can be wrong - please correct me if so)
I am thinking " The Gospel" may be the very Presence of Christ
And that the repentance of sins PLUS Christs presence is the good news that we can escape the curse of sin?
Help me out smartie biblical scholars..I find this a very important bit of information to get right.
I see the gospel as saying Jesus endured the unjust hate of mankind, being lied about and abused physicall, the sins of mankind, and is still willing to give people time to repent and forgive sinners. This is how God showed himself throughout the Bible.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
What IS " The Gospel"?
The word "gospel" means "good news." Jesus preached the gospel of the kingdom to Israel. John the Baptist also preached the gospel of the kingdom, which was, "..Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." (Matthew 3:2)

Jesus Christ sent the twelve to preach only to Israel. Matthew 10:5 - These twelve Jesus sent out and commanded them, saying: “Do not go into the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter a city of the Samaritans. 6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 7 And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ The disciples were specifically told to go only to the people of Israel, and "Pre Cross" they were not yet preaching anything about the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ.

Simona1988

Mar 15, 2021
The word repentance triggers different meanings in the mind of Christians. The most common being regret for past actions and way of living your life prior to accepting Christ as your Savior. And this person would be correct.

However, repentance means way much more than that. The greek word for repentance is 'metanoia', meta= beyond and noia (nous)= mind, thought.

In 1 Corinthians 2:16, Saint Paul says that we have the mind of Christ. So, a repented person is a person who acquired the mind/thought of God. Why must a Christian repent/change his mind with God's mind? Because this is the only way you can do God's will. There is a close relation between the way you live your life and the way you think. Don't think like the world! Don't be of the world because our God is not of this world! The mind of God is comprised in the Gospel.

At the Terrifying Last Judgment each one will present the fruits of his faith to the Judge (Jesus Christ). Some people believe but don't bring fruits because their faith is dead, some people don't believe in God, they think this is a joke, a bednight story. Let's analyse ourselves and bring fruits worthy of repentance because our God is ALIVE and is NOT JOKING.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
The word repentance triggers different meanings in the mind of Christians. The most common being regret for past actions and way of living your life prior to accepting Christ as your Savior. And this person would be correct.

However, repentance means way much more than that. The greek word for repentance is 'metanoia', meta= beyond and noia (nous)= mind, thought.

In 1 Corinthians 2:16, Saint Paul says that we have the mind of Christ. So, a repented person is a person who acquired the mind/thought of God. Why must a Christian repent/change his mind with God's mind? Because this is the only way you can do God's will. There is a close relation between the way you live your life and the way you think. Don't think like the world! Don't be of the world because our God is not of this world! The mind of God is comprised in the Gospel.

At the Terrifying Last Judgment each one will present the fruits of his faith to the Judge (Jesus Christ). Some people believe but don't bring fruits because their faith is dead, some people don't believe in God, they think this is a joke, a bednight story. Let's analyse ourselves and bring fruits worthy of repentance because our God is ALIVE and is NOT JOKING.
Yes, the Greek word for "repent" is "metanoia" (noun) and "matanoeo" (verb) you see as defined in the Strongs #3340, 3341: to think differently or afterwards, reconsider. After thought, change of mind. Repentance basically means a "change of mind" and the context must determine what is involved in this change of mind. Where salvation is in view, repentance actually precedes saving faith in Christ and is not a totally separate act from faith. It is actually the same coin with two sides. Repentance is on one side (what you change your mind about) and faith in Christ is on the positive side, (the new direction of this change of mind). Repentance and faith are two sides of the same experience of receiving Christ.

In the context of Luke 13:3, Jesus challenged the people's notion that they were morally superior to those who suffered in such catastrophes. He called all to repent or perish. For some people though, prior to coming to the end result of repentance in receiving salvation (faith in Christ), they must change their minds about other specific things in order to get there. Repentance, metanoia, focuses on changing one's mind about his previous concept of God (as in Acts 17:30) and disbelief in God or false beliefs (polytheism and idolatry) about God (1 Thessalonians 1:9). On the other hand, this change of mind, focuses on the new direction that change about God must ultimately take, namely, trusting in Jesus Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of our salvation.

The Bible also tells us that true repentance will result in a change of actions. Acts 26:20 declares, "I preached that they should repent and turn to God and prove their repentance by their deeds." This is the fruit of repentance (Matthew 3:8) and not the essence of repentance (change of mind). Certain people confuse the "fruit of repentance" with the "essence of repentance" (and also do the same thing with faith) and end up teaching salvation by works. All genuine believers are fruitful, yet not all are equally fruitful. (Matthew 13:23) We are not saved by an empty profession of faith that demonstrates by the lack of works that it's dead. (James 2:14)