The Great Commission

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 30, 2020
If we look to the history of the church to see what is most effective in spreading the word of the Lord, it was through showing love to each other that brought in the most people to go to the Lord for salvation.

I have read posts that say that when people don't agree with the poster she/he sees them as---and here the post goes into terrible accusations against that person. Most posters just love to speak about their Lord, and love those who will discuss Him, but there are those who express anything but love for each other. It is the opposite of the great commission.
I agree wholeheartedly. You must have read my post.

S

Scribe

I don't follow any cult and I am not a hyperdispensationalist. I just follow the bible and use the scriptures to make my points realizing that God has to open the eyes to see and understand. Did you read all of the scriptures that I wrote?
One of the common claims of most cults is that one has to have a special "revelation" or a burning in the bosom. It is that "event" when the person suddenly decides that the twisted interpretation that did not make logical sense must be accepted as a DIVINE special interpretation. A secret code. And then they have been initiated into the enlightened club of those who have special knowledge. That water baptism meant some other kind of baptism instead of water baptism has been presented many times in CC.

S

Scribe

It's a shame how many people think of pastoring as an employment opportunity.
Did they tell you that or are you judging their motives? These many people that you speak of.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Matt 28: 19 Go ye, therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, ...
They are baptizing through their TEACHING when people repent, put their trust in Jesus and get filled with the Holy Spirit.
The great commission given by Jesus to his apostles was to go out and teach all nations baptizing them in the name of the Father and in the name of the Son, and in the name of the Holy Spirit. Most people and church denominations think that this means one baptism with water in the name of three persons. That is not the case. It is three different baptisms. You are baptized in the name of the Father when He chooses you by granting the repentance necessary for salvation. You are baptized in the name of the Son when you put your faith and trust in Jesus' death for our salvation. You are baptized in the name of the Holy Spirit when you get filled with the Holy Spirit. It is when you receive the Holy Spirit that you are born again, become part of the body of Christ, and become One with the Father and Son. The Holy Spirit of God fills us with the same love that is shared by the Father and Son. Jesus said that the greatest commandment is to love God with all your heart, mind, and soul. The second is just like it. Love your neighbors as you love yourself. All the commandments are based on these two. So God has made it easier on us. If all our choices are made with love in our hearts, we will be obeying His commandments. At the end, Jesus will be presenting all of us perfect in love. Baptism is not something that we do. It is something that our God in three persons does for those He chooses.
1 Cor 1: 21 For after that, in the wisdom of God, the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

The Father chooses who will be saved by granting them the repentance which will open their hearts to believing and trusting in Jesus ( for the forgiveness of sins) and getting filled with His Holy Spirit who perfects us in love.
I have always felt the commission for the body of Christ is the same as Paul’s found in Acts 26.

16 But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee;
17 Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee,
18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

S

Scribe

I don't follow any cult and I am not a hyperdispensationalist. I just follow the bible and use the scriptures to make my points realizing that God has to open the eyes to see and understand. Did you read all of the scriptures that I wrote?
No matter how passionate you are about this idea that water baptism was not intended by the great commission verse you're still wrong.

S

Scribe

I have always felt the commission for the body of Christ is the same as Paul’s found in Acts 26.

16 But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee;
17 Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee,
18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.
Amen

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Matt 28: 19 Go ye, therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, ...
They are baptizing through their TEACHING when people repent, put their trust in Jesus and get filled with the Holy Spirit.
The great commission given by Jesus to his apostles was to go out and teach all nations baptizing them in the name of the Father and in the name of the Son, and in the name of the Holy Spirit. Most people and church denominations think that this means one baptism with water in the name of three persons. That is not the case. It is three different baptisms. You are baptized in the name of the Father when He chooses you by granting the repentance necessary for salvation. You are baptized in the name of the Son when you put your faith and trust in Jesus' death for our salvation. You are baptized in the name of the Holy Spirit when you get filled with the Holy Spirit. It is when you receive the Holy Spirit that you are born again, become part of the body of Christ, and become One with the Father and Son. The Holy Spirit of God fills us with the same love that is shared by the Father and Son. Jesus said that the greatest commandment is to love God with all your heart, mind, and soul. The second is just like it. Love your neighbors as you love yourself. All the commandments are based on these two. So God has made it easier on us. If all our choices are made with love in our hearts, we will be obeying His commandments. At the end, Jesus will be presenting all of us perfect in love. Baptism is not something that we do. It is something that our God in three persons does for those He chooses.
1 Cor 1: 21 For after that, in the wisdom of God, the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

The Father chooses who will be saved by granting them the repentance which will open their hearts to believing and trusting in Jesus ( for the forgiveness of sins) and getting filled with His Holy Spirit who perfects us in love.
No one is chosen to salvation. God chose the foolishness of preaching to save those that believe . Thats very different . God is not so insecure that he has to choose people to be saved .

Dec 30, 2020
Well since you are not qualified biblically speaking to pastor a church I guess it really doesn't matter what position you take. Not that the husband of one wife being taught as a requirement to pastor a church is any impediment to your aspirations. I would love to see what an ordination examination would expose about your true doctrinal beliefs. The influence of DTS and SBC are quite evident. Both of those institutions have questioned Gods word for decades.

One should not receive water baptism without proper teaching of the what, why and how it is to be administered.

I have known more than a few men who waited until they were married to take on a church pastorate. God sometimes makes His child wait before launching into ministry. Many missionaries have waited for some time until God supplied the support money they required to get on the field. All of them in retrospect said they could see Gods hand at work in what they thought was delay when it was for their good in the end.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
What does DTS and SBC stand for? Thanks.

Dec 30, 2020
Did they tell you that or are you judging their motives? These many people that you speak of.
To be honest , it was just 1 person. He straight out told me that he was waiting for approval and the worldly advantages of pastoring. I just assumed there are other people like him that just see pastoring as a good employment opportunity. This person cusses a lot and once told me, seriously, how he enjoys beating up people. He didn't make the pastorship. Even 1 is too many.

S

Scribe

To be honest , it was just 1 person. He straight out told me that he was waiting for approval and the worldly advantages of pastoring. I just assumed there are other people like him that just see pastoring as a good employment opportunity. This person cusses a lot and once told me, seriously, how he enjoys beating up people. He didn't make the pastorship. Even 1 is too many.
LOL. Well I am glad he did not make it.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
When I pastor I will offer baptism in water the same day a person get's born again.
How will you know what day that happens? Or that you will even be present to offer such?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
People who teach that Baptism in water is no longer commanded eventually get banned from the site.
In over five years here, I have seen no evidence for this.

I have witnessed the issue being hotly contested many, many times.

It is an issue of, is water baptism a requirement for salvation?

Or is the baptism that saves accomplished/performed by the Holy Spirit of God?

S

Scribe

Not the same topic. To say that Jesus did not mean for us to baptize in water at all is a cult teaching.
How will you know what day that happens? Or that you will even be present to offer such?
Just follow the scripture examples. The day of Pentecost. 3000 were baptized and added to the church. As soon as they say they believe in the Lord with all their heart. Baptize them.
Look and Philip and Eunuch.
Look at how Paul baptized his jailer and his house the same night they believed on the Lord Jesus
Look at the House of Cornelius They believe, they were baptized in the Holy Ghost, and then baptized in water.
There are more, but this should suffice.
This is God's method.
I am not saying that someone is not saved if they have not been baptized in water.
I am saying that the biblical pattern is that as soon as they profess faith, then baptize them. There is not biblical pattern of teaching a series of classes before you baptize people. There is no biblical pattern of making sure they have really changed their daily life in the eyes of the community and family before you baptized them as they do in many mission fields.

S

Scribe

I am talking about teaching that Jesus did not mean water baptism in the Great Commission and that we are not to be baptized in water today. That is a far cry from the discussion of being saved before being baptized in water.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Just follow the scripture examples. The day of Pentecost. 3000 were baptized and added to the church. As soon as they say they believe in the Lord with all their heart. Baptize them.
Look and Philip and Eunuch.
Look at how Paul baptized his jailer and his house the same night they believed on the Lord Jesus
Look at the House of Cornelius They believe, they were baptized in the Holy Ghost, and then baptized in water.
There are more, but this should suffice.
This is God's method.
I am not saying that someone is not saved if they have not been baptized in water.
I am saying that the biblical pattern is that as soon as they profess faith, then baptize them. There is not biblical pattern of teaching a series of classes before you baptize people. There is no biblical pattern of making sure they have really changed their daily life in the eyes of the community and family before you baptized them as they do in many mission fields.
But there are Biblical examples of people having been saved and not water baptized until some time after the fact, if at all.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I am talking about teaching that Jesus did not mean water baptism in the Great Commission and that we are not to be baptized in water today. That is a far cry from the discussion of being saved before being baptized in water.
Who says we are not to be?

The issue is one of whether or not water baptism saves.

I have never seen anyone tell another not to get water baptized.

Though I have seen some falsely accuse others of saying that.

They are liars :censored:

S

Scribe

But there are Biblical examples of people having been saved and not water baptized until some time after the fact, if at all.
Absolutely and we know that the act of baptism in water does not do the regeneration work that the Holy Spirit does BEFORE baptism in water. No one should be baptized in water before they are SAVED by faith in Jesus Christ. However to say that we are not to perform this ordinance of baptizing in water at all, is a cult teaching.

I think it is getting popular from internet youtube false teachers. To try to convince people that Jesus never meant to baptize in water at all when he said "baptize them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost" but meant some other definition of baptism and then to try to explain away all the water baptisms in the book of Acts as belonging to another dispensation than the one we are in, is a cult teaching that is gaining popularity.

But trust me, it does not stop there. These same teachers will redefine many other things to mean something other than what they mean. Pretty soon they will be sleeping with each other's wives and calling it "being in one accord" and all about love.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
So which is more important? Water baptism or biblical discipleship? An argument can be made that Mat 28 is not referencing water baptism when viewed in the Greek. I do believe that all believers should partake of water baptism but I also believe that it is essential to instruct new believers in bible doctrines of which water baptism is to be included.

For the cause of Christ
Roger