The Great Commission

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Absolutely and we know that the act of baptism in water does not do the regeneration work that the Holy Spirit does BEFORE baptism in water. No one should be baptized in water before they are SAVED by faith in Jesus Christ. However to say that we are not to perform this ordinance of baptizing in water at all, is a cult teaching.

I think it is getting popular from internet youtube false teachers. To try to convince people that Jesus never meant to baptize in water at all when he said "baptize them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost" but meant some other definition of baptism and then to try to explain away all the water baptisms in the book of Acts as belonging to another dispensation than the one we are in, is a cult teaching that is gaining popularity.

But trust me, it does not stop there. These same teachers will redefine many other things to mean something other than what they mean. Pretty soon they will be sleeping with each other's wives and calling it "being in one accord" and all about love.
I have not seen (on ChristianChat) these cultists of whom you speak.

Do you have any examples/links to their posts?

Or are you just saying they are "out there" like on youtube?

I certainly am not in accord with any who redefine terms to suit some twisted agenda ;)

S

Scribe

Who says we are not to be?

The issue is one of whether or not water baptism saves.

I have never seen anyone tell another not to get water baptized.

Though I have seen some falsely accuse others of saying that.

They are liars :censored:
Take a closer look at the OP below:

Matt 28: 19 Go ye, therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, ...
They are baptizing through their TEACHING when people repent, put their trust in Jesus and get filled with the Holy Spirit.
The great commission given by Jesus to his apostles was to go out and teach all nations baptizing them in the name of the Father and in the name of the Son, and in the name of the Holy Spirit. Most people and church denominations think that this means one baptism with water in the name of three persons. That is not the case. .
As he continues through his numerous long posts there is repeated this message that water baptism was never intended.
This is not a discussion about whether water baptism is necessary for salvation. It is a cult teaching that Jesus never meant water baptism to be performed at all in the Great Commission.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Take a closer look at the OP below:

As he continues through his numerous long posts there is repeated this message that water baptism was never intended.
This is not a discussion about whether water baptism is necessary for salvation. It is a cult teaching that Jesus never meant water baptism to be performed at all in the Great Commission.
I see the OP affirming baptism over and over again.

But I could be missing something in those great walls of text :rolleyes:

They are not easy to read through with no paragraph breaks etc.

S

Scribe

I have not seen (on ChristianChat) these cultists of whom you speak.

Do you have any examples/links to their posts?

Or are you just saying they are "out there" like on youtube?

I certainly am not in accord with any who redefine terms to suit some twisted agenda ;)
We have had bouts with them before. If you google Hyperdispensationalists you will learn about what they have in common. They like to teach that baptism in water was a John the Baptist thing only. They have a "mid acts" view of when the church starts or when the Gospel that we are supposed to preach comes into play verses what Jesus said. A Paul vs Jesus mentality. They try to make many things apply to Jews only. All of this system of interpretation they have constructed has been labeled hyperdispensationalism not by them but those that expose their erroneous theology.

S

Scribe

I see the OP affirming baptism over and over again.

But I could be missing something in those great walls of text :rolleyes:

They are not easy to read through with no paragraph breaks etc.
@CorrectiveLens
I may have misunderstood his original premise. He stated...

"The great commission given by Jesus to his apostles was to go out and teach all nations baptizing them in the name of the Father and in the name of the Son, and in the name of the Holy Spirit. Most people and church denominations think that this means one baptism with water in the name of three persons. That is not the case."

Then he goes on to explain his ideas about three baptisms. I thought he was suggesting that we no longer need to baptize in water at all and that we have been mistaken in doing so these 2000 years. That merely teaching doctrine will suffice in "baptizing" people.

He can clarify if he likes. And yes, paragraph breaks will make it easier to follow. No reason to reiterate the three baptisms what I want to know is if he teaches that baptism in water should not be done at all.

Dec 30, 2020
@CorrectiveLens
I may have misunderstood his original premise. He stated...

"The great commission given by Jesus to his apostles was to go out and teach all nations baptizing them in the name of the Father and in the name of the Son, and in the name of the Holy Spirit. Most people and church denominations think that this means one baptism with water in the name of three persons. That is not the case."

Then he goes on to explain his ideas about three baptisms. I thought he was suggesting that we no longer need to baptize in water at all and that we have been mistaken in doing so these 2000 years. That merely teaching doctrine will suffice in "baptizing" people.

He can clarify if he likes. And yes, paragraph breaks will make it easier to follow. No reason to reiterate the three baptisms what I want to know is if he teaches that baptism in water should not be done at all.
There is nothing wrong with water baptism as long as you are showing repentance. But you don't have to declare it publicly. Repentance is a state of being. You can either declare it or not. You can declare it publicly through a ritual or to God in prayer.

S

Scribe

What does OP stand for?
Original Poster.
Ok I am sorry for misunderstanding your post and thinking you were teaching that Jesus did not tell us to baptize in water.
I agree that baptism in water is not what saves us and that we have faith in Jesus and that we are born again and given His Spirit that makes us regenerated before we get baptized in water. Most of those on CC believe that. There are some Church of Christ folks who believe that you have to get water baptized to be saved. And then there are some that try to teach that water baptism was not supposed to be done after the church got started and people don't need to do it any more at all. There have been a few that have tried hard to teach that and eventually got banned. Sorry for falsely accusing you of teaching that.

Jan 12, 2019
Original Poster.
Ok I am sorry for misunderstanding your post and thinking you were teaching that Jesus did not tell us to baptize in water.
I agree that baptism in water is not what saves us and that we have faith in Jesus and that we are born again and given His Spirit that makes us regenerated before we get baptized in water. Most of those on CC believe that. There are some Church of Christ folks who believe that you have to get water baptized to be saved. And then there are some that try to teach that water baptism was not supposed to be done after the church got started and people don't need to do it any more at all. There have been a few that have tried hard to teach that and eventually got banned. Sorry for falsely accusing you of teaching that.
So if one don't get water baptized after he is saved, what do you think will happen to him? Does he stay saved?

S

Scribe

So if one don't get water baptized after he is saved, what do you think will happen to him? Does he stay saved?
Of course.

I think that the reason for baptism was to help people to be for real about their commitment. A "crossing over" act. It helps them to exercise their invisible faith. It is for the ministers' or the evangelists' benefit. It is the evangelist's tool.

It looses it's purpose to be put off for some time in the far off future. I am not so sure it is just going through a legalistic ritual after someone has already been saved and grown strong in the Lord.

It seems like a good idea "just to make sure," of what, they don't really know, but they don't want to leave it "unchecked" and for that reason I say it has lost its meaning by then.

Doesn't it always seem a little strange for people to wait and do it months or years after they have been saved. We are used to it but when we read the bible we can't help but think.."that's not how they did it"

It should be done at the time of ones decision. We should preach it during our Gospel presentation. People should come up to us and say I believe in Jesus and want to be baptized and we should be able to do it right then. That is what I see when I read the bible.

Now I am not making it a salvation issue. But why does that matter. I want to do it the way they did it in the Bible because I think that God knew what he was saying when he told us to preach the Gospel and baptize them immediately. We do miss out on something that God intended. And it is the ones who are making the decisions for Christ that are the ones that are missing out. Maybe there would be more LONG TERM conversions if baptism in water was done right away. Maybe their faith would have been strengthened and they would not have soon fallen away? Maybe that is part of the reason for doing it right away?

Would think so. Myself, it seems like it would be disobedient not to be baptized, unless: a) the baptism is scheduled for a certain date/time as a lot of churches do, or b) an individual perished before baptism.

S

Scribe

Would think so. Myself, it seems like it would be disobedient not to be baptized, unless: a) the baptism is scheduled for a certain date/time as a lot of churches do, or b) an individual perished before baptism.
Some churches will go all year without baptizing anyone and then they schedule a service to ask "if anyone has been thinking about getting baptized" It just seems so weird in the light of a read through the book of Acts.

Some churches will go all year without baptizing anyone and then they schedule a service to ask "if anyone has been thinking about getting baptized" It just seems so weird in the light of a read through the book of Acts.
Amen! In agreeance there. Baptism should be as immediate as possible, is my take. Asked my pastor at the time if he would baptize me, and it was the very next service.

Dec 30, 2020
Once saved always saved because when you have repented and put your trust in Jesus, you get sealed by the Holy Spirit.

Jan 12, 2019
I want to do it the way they did it in the Bible because I think that God knew what he was saying when he told us to preach the Gospel and baptize them immediately. We do miss out on something that God intended. And it is the ones who are making the decisions for Christ that are the ones that are missing out. Maybe there would be more LONG TERM conversions if baptism in water was done right away. Maybe their faith would have been strengthened and they would not have soon fallen away? Maybe that is part of the reason for doing it right away?
Have you encountered people nearing the end of their lives, they tell you they are Christians, and when you asked them whether they know they are saved, they reply to you "Because I have been water baptized!"

Do you worry when you encounter people who say that?

Jan 12, 2019
Yep, quite a number of churches have some kind of mission statement that basically take the Church after Acts 2 as their model of what an ideal church should be.

Hence, it is understandable that they would emphasize a lot on water baptism.

S

Scribe

Have you encountered people nearing the end of their lives, they tell you they are Christians, and when you asked them whether they know they are saved, they reply to you "Because I have been water baptized!"

The "I got my heaven ticket when I was a kid" theology?

Dec 30, 2020

Read Acts 19: 2-7 where disciples of John got baptized with water and had not received the Holy Spirit. When John the baptist baptized it was a baptism of repentance. When Paul explained Jesus to them, they believed in Jesus , and the verse says they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. There was no ritual in this baptism. It happened when they believed. They then received the gift of the Holy Spirit. John's baptism with water was a baptism of repentance.

Acts 2: 38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Notice the 3 elements of salvation. Repentance, being baptized in the name of Jesus, and receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit. Repentance is a state of being and is granted by the Father.

Acts 11: 18 When they heard these things, they held their peace and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

Water baptism is a public declaration of repentance. When the Father grants a person repentance, they can declare it publicly, or not. He can declare his repentance publicly with water baptism, or privately to God in prayer.