The Greatest Commandment

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

do we keep it?

• Total voters

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
the greatest commandment is love

((Matthew 22:33-40, Mark 12:28-34, Deuteronomy 6:4-5, Leviticus 19:18))

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
the poll has no declared time limit, and you may vote as often as you wish. :)

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to the flames, but do not have love, I gain nothing.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails.

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
Where's the sometimes option Bones?

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
the poll has no declared time limit, and you may vote as often as you wish. :)

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to the flames, but do not have love, I gain nothing.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails.
A young Lady at President Bush's funeral read this passage of Scripture.........

Great ......... simply great Scriputres

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I don't know how to get to the "sometimes" option...........and, since we can vote as many times as we want, I'll vote twice............YES ................. and ............ NO ........... because sometimes I do not live up to the love of God......

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Now to vote NO

it only lets me vote once.........can't vote NO so, what do I do? Remove my YES vote since that isn't the complete Truth?

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Won't let me remove my YES vote either.........so I voted NO.............less of a hypocrite that way....... :)

Poinsetta

Nov 24, 2018
That’s why He gave us only two commandments because they are hard as hell so just two to burst about.

memyselfi

Jan 12, 2017
I voted no because I know it's a "no" comparing myself to G-d.

As a human I do not know the G-d boundaries of "love" with dealing with an active andic… I do know some, but when you get stretched to the limit, it's me begging for forgiveness for my mouth....

Or when the same person walks upto my car, at the grocery store 3 times with a different story begging for money....

Or in the middle of the night when I am woken up to whip my mom's butt and she says to me I don't know what to do.... and I answer sharply "stand up"... Then she yells at me for being hateful....

These are a few examples I'm sure their are soooooo much more!

I would like to think this Scripture keeps me to always try to be vertical and love the way G-d loves me and commands me... Then it just spreads out horizonal.

G-d IS LOVE!!! AND WHAT GREAT SCRIPTURE TO UNDERSTAND HIS LOVE FOR US!!! And how we should love one and other!

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I don't see the question asked is "Can we keep it?"

It clearly says, "Do we keep it?"

In other words, should we obey it, or intentionally disobey it? Certainly the only answer is that we obey God. We try to keep it, always.

And should we fail to love God, and our neighbour, then 1 John 1:9 applies. We confess our sins, and Christ forgives us and cleanses us from all unrighteousness.

It's not about whether we are able, but rather, do we believe God commanded us to do this, and we commit to it. We must DO it!

And our hope and prayer is that as we mature into the image of Christ and get closer to him, we fail less and less. In other words, as we are sanctified, the Holy Spirit also transforms us so that through his power, our obedience becomes closer and closer to what God has asked us to do! And then we are glorified, and we are changed and we live fully for God, loving him with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength!

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
And our hope and prayer is that as we mature into the image of Christ and get closer to him, we fail less and less. In other words, as we are sanctified, the Holy Spirit also transforms us so that through his power, our obedience becomes closer and closer to what God has asked us to do! And then we are glorified, and we are changed and we live fully for God, loving him with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength!
i believe He will complete the work -- we will keep it -- and walk, a new lump, 'unleavened, as we really are'

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
If you define "keep" as "perfectly obey" then no. Do we strive to keep it? Yes.

BTW the Greek word for "keep" is "tereo" which means to guard, observe, watch over.

Strong's Concordance #5083
téreó: to watch over, to guard
Original Word: τηρέω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: téreó
Phonetic Spelling: (tay-reh'-o)
Definition: to watch over, to guard
Usage: I keep, guard, observe, watch over.

Feb 28, 2016
YES,
to the very best of our ability, always striving toward
Holy perfection, not randomly but of a contrite heart,
longing only to please our Master at all costs...

When our Father sees our earnest Love combined with our Faith,
then He will gently support and carry us on into our destiny...

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
NO,

We don't keep any commands. Without the Lord Jesus we can do nothing.

Without the Holy Spirit we don't keep any of Gods Commands nor do we desire to do so. The Holy Spirit is what causes us to "keep" or to love the way God loves. The Holy Spirit is what causes us to desire to Love like God Loves.

I wish that we were given the Power of God and all His Attributes as soon as we become Christians.

For some reason God has decided He is more interested in our faith in Him than in our becoming Perfect as He is Perfect in this life.