The Gun Thread

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
I blame the Army for this one too.

They had these companies rush production with silly, minute requirements which sacrificed reliability and safety for marginal benefits.

Instead of wasting time and money, they should've just picked some polymer striker on the market and ran with it.

I just read on a website about testing of the P365. Apparently Sig has upped the drop testing to be quite a bit more intense than for the P320.

This gives me a better feeling about the P365. I still need to hold one, to see how it feels.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
I'm going to get a small pistol-type safe for inside the house. I have a gunsafe that is kept in the garage, for all the long guns, etc... but I want to get a small safe to be able to keep a loaded handgun ready to go, without having it/them simply lying around on top of the dresser, etc...

does anybody have any experience with one that they really like? I want it to have biometric (fingerprint) capability. I have been looking at the Vaultek brand, and like what I see so far, but am open to suggestions about other brands....I know that several companies make them.

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
I'm going to get a small pistol-type safe for inside the house. I have a gunsafe that is kept in the garage, for all the long guns, etc... but I want to get a small safe to be able to keep a loaded handgun ready to go, without having it/them simply lying around on top of the dresser, etc...

does anybody have any experience with one that they really like? I want it to have biometric (fingerprint) capability. I have been looking at the Vaultek brand, and like what I see so far, but am open to suggestions about other brands....I know that several companies make them.

How often do you have children in your house?

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Well, we know what the CEO of Vaultek likes to do in his spare time.

Huckleberry

Aug 25, 2013

Been kicking this idea around myself.
I think I want one with a key.
I've been let down by electronic gizmos enough
times that I just don't want to trust one for
allowing me access to my gun in an emergency.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
There's a company called Vault-Tech featured prominently in the Fallout game series.
ahhh... ok. Showing my age, and my almost total disinterest in "gaming". I'm a digital "Solitaire" kind of guy...:eek:

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Been kicking this idea around myself.
I think I want one with a key.
I've been let down by electronic gizmos enough
times that I just don't want to trust one for
allowing me access to my gun in an emergency.
Nearly all of the ones I've looked at have a key as a "backup" for if/when the batteries or power dies.

It seems they are sort of broken up into two basic categories. Manual/digital pushing of buttons in your "combination sequence", and the biometric ones that have the choice of a "finger swipe" (?) or the manual pushing of buttons.

I question "finger swipe" because the biometrics I'm used to, require you to place your chosen finger on a scanner, and let the scanner read it. Maybe these require you to manually scan your finger, by "swiping".... ?

All the ones I've seen, though, still have the key for backup.

wanderer6059

Oct 27, 2013
I have a 1988 Springfield 1911, thing is a beaut! and all strong forged steel, I plan on building a custom work of art on it!

other than that I am a fan of Kimber, I have a ultra RCP and the SSS desert micro 9 with the CT.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
Nearly all of the ones I've looked at have a key as a "backup" for if/when the batteries or power dies.

It seems they are sort of broken up into two basic categories. Manual/digital pushing of buttons in your "combination sequence", and the biometric ones that have the choice of a "finger swipe" (?) or the manual pushing of buttons.

I question "finger swipe" because the biometrics I'm used to, require you to place your chosen finger on a scanner, and let the scanner read it. Maybe these require you to manually scan your finger, by "swiping".... ?

All the ones I've seen, though, still have the key for backup.
I'm leery of fingerprint devices. I ended up with 2 fingerprint door locks and threw them away. It was difficult getting my finger precisely in the same location. I bought something else and was sent these in place of what I ordered since they didn't sell it anymore. They refused to give me my money back.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
I finally got to hold (fondle) one of the new Sig P365's today at the gunshow. It was nice, but not groundbreaking nice. It did not feel substantially slimmer than my PT111... it is somewhat slimmer, but not a lot. The trigger felt good, but not quite as "crisp" as the PT111.

It does not have a safety, which to me, is a necessity in my carry guns. I want to carry "cocked and locked", or at least chamber loaded, protected by a long DA type trigger pull.... just like a revolver.

So, until they come out with a model with a manual safety, I won't be buying one. This one was selling for $565... actually it sold as soon as I put it back down after inspecting it.

I still am considering the Sig P938 9mm. It is essentially a scaled down 1911... it feels really nice, and is slightly smaller than my PT111, but I don't get quite as good a grip on the pistol as I do with my Taurus. It is unquestionably a nice pistol.. I like it. I just don't know if it's good enough to justify being almost triple the price of the Taurus.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Not to be that guy, but slimmer in the hand and slimmer on the waist are two different things. My PPS is only a bit slimmer than my Glock 19, but IWB is wayyyy easier with the former.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Not to be that guy, but slimmer in the hand and slimmer on the waist are two different things. My PPS is only a bit slimmer than my Glock 19, but IWB is wayyyy easier with the former.
I believe that... my current waistline does not allow me to do IWB carry, unless I get a whole new wardrobe of pants...:eek:

I've never worn "baggy" jeans. I just wear a semi-high ride pancake style holster with the PT111. It has a forward cant to it, so it hides sort of ok under an un-tucked shirt. I have even thought of a crossdraw holster... still thinking.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
I believe that... my current waistline does not allow me to do IWB carry, unless I get a whole new wardrobe of pants...:eek:

I've never worn "baggy" jeans. I just wear a semi-high ride pancake style holster with the PT111. It has a forward cant to it, so it hides sort of ok under an un-tucked shirt. I have even thought of a crossdraw holster... still thinking.
I have to wear pants in a larger size to fit my thighs. The relaxed fit jeans almost fix this. I wear 42" pants. 40" would fit my waist better.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
I have to wear pants in a larger size to fit my thighs. The relaxed fit jeans almost fix this. I wear 42" pants. 40" would fit my waist better.
But you can do an IWB carry with the 42's instead of the 40's? That's not too bad of an increase.

T

Tinuviel

Newsflash: .22 ammo is finally cheap enough again around here to justify running a couple of hundred rounds through just for giggles. Some of my siblings and I got together last weekend and did a bunch of target practicing with the .22s and various handguns of different kinds. Also had to try out my mom's new lever action 30-30 :). You've got to do something with the old Easter eggs!