The Gun Thread

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Newsflash: .22 ammo is finally cheap enough again around here to justify running a couple of hundred rounds through just for giggles. Some of my siblings and I got together last weekend and did a bunch of target practicing with the .22s and various handguns of different kinds. Also had to try out my mom's new lever action 30-30 :). You've got to do something with the old Easter eggs!
Funny you should mention that... I just picked up another 1000 rounds of Blazer .22 ammo at Cabelas today. It was on sale for right at 5 cents per round. Too good to pass up. You can never have too much .22 ammo... lol

shooting eggs with a 30 30.... I love it.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I have had a good experience with Blazer, and I see CCI Standard Velocity is a nickel a round delivered at Target Sports, paper box, I believe it is the same as the plastic box, not sure they even have the plastic box anymore.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
I came across this recently. A CDC study that shoots down the anti gun people. CDC never made it public.

Leftists Shocked as CDC Stats Destroy Their Gun-Grabbing Myths
Posted On 22 Apr 2018
By :shawn
http://unfilteredpatriot.com/leftists-shocked-as-cdc-stats-destroy-their-gun-grabbing-myths/

Florida State University criminologist Gary Kleck has been doing battle with unhinged liberals for years, insisting that despite the narrative that says guns are rarely if ever successfully used for self-defense, the reality is that many gun owners keep firearms on hand for that very purpose and many of them find themselves in situations where they must defend themselves. The left has argued the point until they’re blue in the face, telling anyone who will listen that more guns only result in more crime.

As anyone who has ever argued with a liberal about this point can tell you, their favorite sentence is something like: “A gun owner is more likely to hurt themselves or a loved one with that gun than defend themselves against an assailant.” It’s the kind of unproven, fairy-tale statement that has somehow passed into the left’s lexicon without the slightest fact check.

For a long time, though, Second Amendment defenders had little more to argue with than their own gut feelings. This led to arguments that were based more in instinct than fact, and the left, having much more of the media at their disposal, was on the verge of winning this particular battle of the much larger gun control war.

That is, until Kleck unearthed some old studies from the Centers for Disease Control that were (strangely enough) never released to the public. In 1996, 1997, and 1998, the CDC conducted a large-scale study of the defensive use of firearms as part of its Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System. The answers they obtained correlated with the results Kleck had previously gotten through his private field work in criminology. According to the self-reported stats, some 2.46 million adults per year used a gun in self-defense. Not only is this figure remarkable in its own right, it is even more astonishing when you consider that it’s 3.6 times the rate that guns are used by criminals.

Don’t expect to hear much about this study. The left is much more comfortable using the National Crime Victimization survey, which estimates that guns are used defensively only around 100,000 times a year. That’s a stat they can manage. They don’t want to confront the possibility that gun owners are not only keeping their guns for self-defense but actually (and successfully) using them for that same purpose. It’s very difficult to convince someone to give up their gun when there is a solid body of evidence that they may, one day, actually have to use it.

Last edited:

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
I came across this recently. A CDC study that shoots down the anti gun people. CDC never made it public.

Leftists Shocked as CDC Stats Destroy Their Gun-Grabbing Myths
Posted On 22 Apr 2018
By :shawn
http://unfilteredpatriot.com/leftists-shocked-as-cdc-stats-destroy-their-gun-grabbing-myths/

Florida State University criminologist Gary Kleck has been doing battle with unhinged liberals for years, insisting that despite the narrative that says guns are rarely if ever successfully used for self-defense, the reality is that many gun owners keep firearms on hand for that very purpose and many of them find themselves in situations where they must defend themselves. The left has argued the point until they’re blue in the face, telling anyone who will listen that more guns only result in more crime.

As anyone who has ever argued with a liberal about this point can tell you, their favorite sentence is something like: “A gun owner is more likely to hurt themselves or a loved one with that gun than defend themselves against an assailant.” It’s the kind of unproven, fairy-tale statement that has somehow passed into the left’s lexicon without the slightest fact check.

For a long time, though, Second Amendment defenders had little more to argue with than their own gut feelings. This led to arguments that were based more in instinct than fact, and the left, having much more of the media at their disposal, was on the verge of winning this particular battle of the much larger gun control war.

That is, until Kleck unearthed some old studies from the Centers for Disease Control that were (strangely enough) never released to the public. In 1996, 1997, and 1998, the CDC conducted a large-scale study of the defensive use of firearms as part of its Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System. The answers they obtained correlated with the results Kleck had previously gotten through his private field work in criminology. According to the self-reported stats, some 2.46 million adults per year used a gun in self-defense. Not only is this figure remarkable in its own right, it is even more astonishing when you consider that it’s 3.6 times the rate that guns are used by criminals.

Don’t expect to hear much about this study. The left is much more comfortable using the National Crime Victimization survey, which estimates that guns are used defensively only around 100,000 times a year. That’s a stat they can manage. They don’t want to confront the possibility that gun owners are not only keeping their guns for self-defense but actually (and successfully) using them for that same purpose. It’s very difficult to convince someone to give up their gun when there is a solid body of evidence that they may, one day, actually have to use it.
I meant to reply to this much earlier... I blame it on old age... :rolleyes:

This is a very good post. We need to do more "public speaking" about the benefits of responsible gun ownership/use. But, you are correct that the media will not report on these "inconvenient truths". That is why it is up to us, to spread the word. Especially to the young people, who have grown up being taught that guns are evil, and we have NO gun laws in this country... and now, the NRA is somehow a murderous organization.

Education is the answer to this. It's up to us.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
I have lately been pondering what 7.62 rifle I need to get. I had always wanted an AR-10, but the price had been scary. I found one a couple of days ago that was $750, and almost hit the "buy" key... after thinking it over, I am pretty close to deciding that I would be better served with one of the Mossberg MVP "Thunder Ranch" model rifles. It's a relatively light, 18.5" threaded barreled, bolt action rifle that uses AR style magazines. Accuracy is reported to be good to very good.

The bolt action can be operated fairly rapidly, if necessary, for aimed shots...not quite as fast as an autoloader, but pretty fast. It would also be MUCH more friendly for reloading. Chasing brass from an autoloader can be frustrating.

MVP.png

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
yes brother, one at a time, we will be successful, the women are coming back into the fold by understanding self defense.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
that does look like a dandy rifle.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
I meant to reply to this much earlier... I blame it on old age... :rolleyes:

This is a very good post. We need to do more "public speaking" about the benefits of responsible gun ownership/use. But, you are correct that the media will not report on these "inconvenient truths". That is why it is up to us, to spread the word. Especially to the young people, who have grown up being taught that guns are evil, and we have NO gun laws in this country... and now, the NRA is somehow a murderous organization.

Education is the answer to this. It's up to us.
At 73 I emphasize with your problem. LOL

The same is true in religious education for youth. There is a fallout problem of youth going to college and dropping out. Christian Ministries International a science based multinational organization at creation.com investigated this problem by interviewing older ones that dropped out and stayed. What they found was those that dropped out never heard in Sunday School that big bang evolution failed 5 seperate scientific laws. Then when their professors taught big bang evolution was fact they had no defence and dropped out. Those who had been taught this stayed in the church.

Last edited:

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Well.... I placed my order for the Mossberg MVP Thunder Ranch rifle.

Now..... we wait.....

I'm pretty sure I'm going to put a Leupold VX Freedom 1-4x scope on it.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Well.... I placed my order for the Mossberg MVP Thunder Ranch rifle.

Now..... we wait.....

I'm pretty sure I'm going to put a Leupold VX Freedom 1-4x scope on it.
Can you mount it in such a way where you could still use the open sights as a back-up?

None of my bolt-action rifles have open sight back-up but it would be cool if they did.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
If guns are outlawed, look out for frozen chickenshttp://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Woman-arrested-after-throwing-frozen-chicken-at-Hy-Vee-worker-482391341.html

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
If guns are outlawed, look out for frozen chickenshttp://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Woman-arrested-after-throwing-frozen-chicken-at-Hy-Vee-worker-482391341.html
ROFL
Get ready to duck!!

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
it's a jungle out there!!!!!!!!! lol!Hopefully the libs won't have dead chicken registration. best wishes