The Gun Thread

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Which leads to this thought by George Santayana....

Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. In the first stage of life the mind is frivolous and easily distracted, it misses progress by failing in consecutiveness and persistence. This is the condition of children and barbarians, in which instinct has learned nothing from experience.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
In my state there are no guns. We’re a gun free state. I know someone who hides one under his pillow.
I would be willing to bet there are guns in your state. I don't think any state has a grandfather provision as yet. You just think you are gun free.

Earnest, I like your article on the Nazis. That is why we fight any kind of national database for gun registry. Once they know where they all are at, it just takes one little law for them to take them.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Ok... confession time. I went at lunch to Academy, and bought a new pump 20 gauge Maverick 88.

Too good a price to pass up. They are already embarrassingly low priced, but Academy knocked another $10 off the regular price, so, out the door, ttl, less than $200.

:D

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
more, please tell us more! Ribbed? Get a slug barrel too?
We use the 20 gauge for Hunters Safety, no one has complained it kicks too hard.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
just looked up some videos on the Maverick, a friend was in the marines when they went to Mossberg shotguns, as an armorer he dug out all the old, crusty 12 gauge shells he could find in the armory, they tried to get it to fail, never could.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
more, please tell us more! Ribbed? Get a slug barrel too?
We use the 20 gauge for Hunters Safety, no one has complained it kicks too hard.
Yes... ribbed. I think it's a 24 or 26" barrel. I am currently looking for an 18.5" open choke for defensive stuff. I am also thinking of getting a rifled barrel for slugs. That would make it a pretty versatile little shoot-gun. Although, the saboted slugs are, um... pricey. About $3 each...:eek:

I'm thinking about getting a loading press, and experimenting. That would be the equivalent of a 60 caliber rifle... big and slow.

Dec 12, 2013
dang... you're practically a native... that's an awfully long flight, though, isn't it?
Well....I fly from St. Louis to either Dallas, L.A. or San Francisco (the three main jump points to Sydney.....the flight times are...

From Dallas to Sydney is right at 17 hours non-stop
From L.A. to Sydney is about 13 hours
From San Francisco is about 14.5 to 15 hours

I like the Dallas flight....they carry more cargo and the planes have less people due to weight and I usually have clear seats or maybe a whole 3 seat row to myself and can stretch out....

Qantas is who I fly with and American is the code share partner.....so American to Dallas from St. Louis and then Qantas from Dallas.....fly an A-380 airbus which has a wing span 4 feet short of 100 yards HAHAH carries 330,000 liter of fuel in the wings HAH

2 in flight meals (dinner and breakfast) your choice of three options for each
Snacks, drinks of every flavor (soft drinks, wine, cordial (AU KOOLAID) water, juice coffee, tea, mixed drinks etc)
Snack bar back of plane get what you want
EVERYTHING free on the flight

I highly recommend going bro.....you and your wife would love it.....excellent food, people are nice as, so many things to do and see....stay at least 2 weeks....three or more is better because they are 15 hours ahead of us so it takes a few days to get your biological clock assimilated.....I love it........for sure consider it my second home.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
That doesn't sound too bad at all... I just don't fit very well in most airline seats... my knees are up against the seat in front of me, and the headrest is too short to lean my head back. I don't really like the little choker pillows, either....

Dec 12, 2013
That doesn't sound too bad at all... I just don't fit very well in most airline seats... my knees are up against the seat in front of me, and the headrest is too short to lean my head back. I don't really like the little choker pillows, either....
Yeah the seats are fairly big and I am right at 6 foot and I can stretch my legs all the way out and you can book seats where there is nothing in front of you for like 4 feet.....and or upgrade to premium economy etc....

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Yeah the seats are fairly big and I am right at 6 foot and I can stretch my legs all the way out and you can book seats where there is nothing in front of you for like 4 feet.....and or upgrade to premium economy etc....
Yes.... I'm 6'2", and "big boned"... lol More room is better.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Finally found a set of dies for 38 S&W, I have a couple old top break revolvers and can now reload for them. That was one of the black powder cartridges when we first went to cartridges, 22 was as well, that is why there is so much extra room in a 22 cartridge.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Finally found a set of dies for 38 S&W, I have a couple old top break revolvers and can now reload for them. That was one of the black powder cartridges when we first went to cartridges, 22 was as well, that is why there is so much extra room in a 22 cartridge.
You just be careful shooting those old guns, we wouldn't like it if you had an accident.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
it's ok, I have a guardian angel and medicare.
Yes they need to be loaded down and we will do so, funny about those old cartridges, kind of like paint ball, slow enough you can see them travel, fast enough you can't get out of the way.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
I have heard of a lot of CAS (cowboy action shooting) shooters that load their .45 Colt revolvers with black powder, for the "nostalgia" of it. That would be messier than I would want... there's a reason firearms evolved to smokeless powder..

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
yes, I still don't like to completely strip down a cap and ball revolver and have heard of an "el-cheapo" method of taking the wood off, and putting it in the ammo can (they are liquid proof)
of mineral spirits and leaving it there till you want to shoot again, then taking it out and hosing it down with brake cleaner, and not the new, improved environmentally safe stuff, but the old noxious chemical stuff that really works, lubing it up and shooting it.
I have heard in the Civil War the officers would take the wood off and boil them till clean , them lube them up with olive oil.
blessings

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Yes... hot soapy water is still the best way to get the residue out of a black powder firearm. You just need to oil it well after it dries out.

I used to remove the barrel from my .54 cal and put the breech end in a 5 gal bucket about half full with hot soapy water. I'd run a cleaning rod with a patch on it down the bore, then pump it up and down about 15 times. It would pull the water up the bore an clean it out, and the hot water would heat up the metal so that it dried out pretty quickly after running dry patches through it to dry out the bore. That process worked really well.