The Gun Thread

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
I told my wife that she needs to be able to pick up the pistol, and immediately check to know whether there is a round in the chamber, or if there is, is the safety on, or even more basic, is there a magazine in the pistol? If a person isn't willing to familiarize themselves with their handgun, and handle it, so that it almost becomes second nature to KNOW all that when you pick it up, then a pistol is not for you. A revolver would be a wiser choice.
Freedom demands responsibility.... if you choose to own a firearm, you should make it a priority to know how to operate it safely, and store it safely.. which varies from home to home.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Great recommendation, a S&W 642 or it's relatives are nice light weight and you have had a good experience with Taurus, never had one myself, there is a "brand loyalty" with things, credit cards, automobile brands, etc, I got started with S&W, a couple Rugers. blessings

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
I would recommend going to a good range, and have the folks there give you a beginner's course of instruction. An autoloader is really not all that easy to just "shoot". There are a lot of things you need to know, and understand about the safe operation of them. If you really don't want to put in that much time/effort, I recommend trading it for a revolver.
My grown daughter wanted to borrow a gun for a while, and she was that way....just didn't want to have to learn the operations of an auto, so I loaned her my 4" S&W 38 special.
There are disadvantages to a revolver.... no safety being the main one. But they are pretty simple to operate.
I don't consider a modern revolver, with a transfer bar, without a safety. Most others with the firing pin on the hammer can be carried on an empty chamber like the single actions. Even with a trigger safety they could discharge if dropped on the hammer. That is why I prefer transfer bars, the trigger must be engaged before it will fire.

Yes, Sackcloth-to-Ashes do not keep a gun you are not familiar with. Either learn about it or trade it. Ignorance about how they operate is dangerous.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
I don't consider a modern revolver, with a transfer bar, without a safety. Most others with the firing pin on the hammer can be carried on an empty chamber like the single actions. Even with a trigger safety they could discharge if dropped on the hammer. That is why I prefer transfer bars, the trigger must be engaged before it will fire.

Yes, Sackcloth-to-Ashes do not keep a gun you are not familiar with. Either learn about it or trade it. Ignorance about how they operate is dangerous.
You are absolutely correct....

I was thinking more in the line of "if a child picks this up, could he/she fire it by simply pulling the trigger" If you have a pistol with a safety, that adds a layer of "nope" to the question. A revolver will go bang.

I see the transfer bar as a safety against accidental discharge. If you are playing with it, and your thumb slips off the hammer while cocking... if you are not pulling the trigger, it won't go off. Also, it should eliminate any "dropping" discharges.

I realize there is no completely safe firearm.... mechanical things break. That illustrates the absolute necessity to have "safety safety safety" hammered into your consciousness.

Oct 25, 2018
Is that S&W your first? Have you ever fired a handgun?
I've fired pistols before, even a semi-automatic .38. I got this to protect our home. You never know when someone coming off a high needs to get their next fix and try to use us for it by breaking in. If they try it, they won't do it again. ;)

Oct 25, 2018
I would recommend going to a good range, and have the folks there give you a beginner's course of instruction. An autoloader is really not all that easy to just "shoot". There are a lot of things you need to know, and understand about the safe operation of them. If you really don't want to put in that much time/effort, I recommend trading it for a revolver.
My grown daughter wanted to borrow a gun for a while, and she was that way....just didn't want to have to learn the operations of an auto, so I loaned her my 4" S&W 38 special.
There are disadvantages to a revolver.... no safety being the main one. But they are pretty simple to operate.
My B-I-L is pretty good with guns, and I will get him to help me. There I times I hear him shooting up in the holler...hey, I live in West Virginny, aight...and I think he's going to melt the barrel down. :D

Oct 25, 2018

Oh trust me. I respect guns. They are not toys to be played with.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
nice to see activity here, blessings to all
Discharge any firearm in a home is going to be LOUD. I like to think a 22 may be the max I would want to experience.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
I've fired pistols before, even a semi-automatic .38. I got this to protect our home. You never know when someone coming off a high needs to get their next fix and try to use us for it by breaking in. If they try it, they won't do it again. ;)
Depending on your situation, sometimes a shotgun would make a better home defense tool. But, they are like autos... you need to know how to pick then up and know you are ready to go.
Plus, in close quarters, they would be a disadvantage... sometimes a good handgun is just the right thing.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
you will be even more thankful for ear protection, the little 410 revolvers that fire the shorter shells are nice.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
My wife has a Tarus PT 22 that she carries in her purse or pocket. It is excellent out to about 10'. I taught her to poke in any attacker's belly and empty the magazine.

It is also louder than my Ruger security 9.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
My wife has a Tarus PT 22 that she carries in her purse or pocket. It is excellent out to about 10'. I taught her to poke in any attacker's belly and empty the magazine.

It is also louder than my Ruger security 9.
Don't under-estimate the little .22. It has killed more people than any other cartridge, they say.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Yes,placement, placement, placement, saw a photo of the penetration on an elephant 's head, pretty impressive.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
I agree that a .22 rimfire is much better than angry words, but it does have limitations. (as does ANY handgun cartridge)
There have been amazing success stories of self defense with the .22, and some pretty abysmal failures. I have heard quite a few times of a bullet striking the forehead, and not penetrating the skull. Of course, I would think that would at least slow someone down.

The biggest problem with any handgun is that there simply isn't enough trauma/shock at impact to put a person down immediately, consistently. The only thing that will do that is a hit to the central nervous system... brain/spine.

There are authenticated stories of widely differing results... a guy getting shot in the back 5 or 6 times with a .45 ACP, and he walked to the ER and got patched up. Then there is the video of a state trooper that got ambushed during a night stop, when there was a gunfight, the bad guy had a .22, and the trooper had his state issued semi... I think it was a .40 Glock. He shot the bad guy several times, who then rolled down an embankment. The trooper called in the shooting, then started weaving a little, sat down, leaning against the bumper, and died. He had been hit one time... straight through the heart, at the START of the gunfight, but had continued on for 5 or 6 minutes until internal bleeding took him down.
The bad guy was taken to a hospital, and survived.

I have a couple of .22's that I would trust with my life. I know what I am capable of at close range. A flurry of little .22's in the face would, no doubt, at least slow an attacker down enough for me to either get away, or get a bigger gun.

sounds like your wife should be in a pretty good position to defend herself. Personally, I'd rather see her use a Taurus TCP or the new Spectrum in .380. Same number of rounds, but WAY more effective for defense. The Spectrum is on sale several places for around $160.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Good info, the greatest benefit from ccw in my experience is the situational awareness. The noise factor leads me to 22 for at least the home setting. One's life will change when one shoots a person, justified or not.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
I agree that a .22 rimfire is much better than angry words, but it does have limitations. (as does ANY handgun cartridge)
There have been amazing success stories of self defense with the .22, and some pretty abysmal failures. I have heard quite a few times of a bullet striking the forehead, and not penetrating the skull. Of course, I would think that would at least slow someone down.

The biggest problem with any handgun is that there simply isn't enough trauma/shock at impact to put a person down immediately, consistently. The only thing that will do that is a hit to the central nervous system... brain/spine.

There are authenticated stories of widely differing results... a guy getting shot in the back 5 or 6 times with a .45 ACP, and he walked to the ER and got patched up. Then there is the video of a state trooper that got ambushed during a night stop, when there was a gunfight, the bad guy had a .22, and the trooper had his state issued semi... I think it was a .40 Glock. He shot the bad guy several times, who then rolled down an embankment. The trooper called in the shooting, then started weaving a little, sat down, leaning against the bumper, and died. He had been hit one time... straight through the heart, at the START of the gunfight, but had continued on for 5 or 6 minutes until internal bleeding took him down.
The bad guy was taken to a hospital, and survived.

I have a couple of .22's that I would trust with my life. I know what I am capable of at close range. A flurry of little .22's in the face would, no doubt, at least slow an attacker down enough for me to either get away, or get a bigger gun.

sounds like your wife should be in a pretty good position to defend herself. Personally, I'd rather see her use a Taurus TCP or the new Spectrum in .380. Same number of rounds, but WAY more effective for defense. The Spectrum is on sale several places for around $160.
My wife wouldn't carry anything in her pocket "cause it was too heavy". We were at our local gun shop and I told him her problem. He took the Tarus out of the case and handed it her to try. She put it in her pocket and she was sold. The gun shop owner told her that it was most effective when she pushed into an attacker's belly and emptied the magazine. At 10' she can empty the magazine into the center of the body mass every shot.

Personally, I believe that every woman should carry one of these little cannons in their pocket or purse. I'll add the condition that she should complete a fire arms safety and handling course.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
going shooting with you occasionally would be cool, too.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
5 shots in one minute from a 58 caliber muzzleloader-