The Gun Thread

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Can't help but notice that lever action 30/30 in there. I used to have one just like it I think? But I gave that one away when I bought my 1895G 45/70. Now that Ruger took over Marlin I have lever actions on the brain I think this time I'll go with an 1894 Classic 44 Mag.

20" barrel, 10+1 capacity. Now that's an Assault Rifle !
I call my lever guns my "urban assault rifles".... I have a Rossi in .45 Colt, and a Henry in .357 mag... either one would be good out to around 100yds or so. Both are slick and fast cycling.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Edward429451
I call my lever guns my "urban assault rifles".... I have a Rossi in .45 Colt, and a Henry in .357 mag... either one would be good out to around 100yds or so. Both are slick and fast cycling.

See? Lol. It is an assault rifle!

Do you reload your own ammo? I have a 45 Colt BH and have been loading for it, just not as much as 44 mag, which I have more brass, boolits, moulds and powder for and guns! But I like 45 Colt very much!

If you load for 45 Colt, what powder have you been using?
 
See? Lol. It is an assault rifle!

Do you reload your own ammo? I have a 45 Colt BH and have been loading for it, just not as much as 44 mag, which I have more brass, boolits, moulds and powder for and guns! But I like 45 Colt very much!

If you load for 45 Colt, what powder have you been using?
Yes, I have been reloading for around 54 years. I cast and powder coat bullets, as well.
 
As far as powders I use, I've been using AA #5 and Tru Blue...
I recently mounted a Burris Scout scope on my Rossi, just to see what kind of accuracy it's really capable of... I need to go try it out.
It did fairly well at 50 yds using the aperture sight I put on it. This was one of my better targets... it was with AA#5 and my Lee cast and powder coated bullets...

Rossi .45 AA5 10.5.jpg

This is more typical .... it was with Tru Blue... 15 rounds.

Rossi 50yd 15rd trublu.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: Edward429451
As far as powders I use, I've been using AA #5 and Tru Blue...
I recently mounted a Burris Scout scope on my Rossi, just to see what kind of accuracy it's really capable of... I need to go try it out.
It did fairly well at 50 yds using the aperture sight I put on it. This was one of my better targets... it was with AA#5 and my Lee cast and powder coated bullets...

View attachment 286414

This is more typical .... it was with Tru Blue... 15 rounds.

View attachment 286415

I got plent of medium loads with Unique and 2400, but 2400 is getting hard to find!

WHat I need for 45 Colt is something around 1100-1200fps. I was thinking 296, I have some of that on the shelf. I might get there with 2400 but I don't want to go through too much of it because it's my goto powder for 44 Mag.
 
Yes, I have been reloading for around 54 years. I cast and powder coat bullets, as well.

Can I ask, what is the purpose for powder coating boolits?

I'm guessing that it reduces leading? o need for lube? You bake them, right? I saw some pictures of powder coated (PC) boolits, they were cool looking, I'll give them that! Florescent yellow and green? Pretty cool.

However, if PC reduces leading, then I went a different direction to eliminate leading. My Dad taught me to cast at about 8 or 9 years old and I've been doing it ever since so I had many encounters with leaded up guns. I was talking to an older gun buddy of mine who also casts and he told me, oversize the boolits to eliminate leading so I loaded some in 44 mag that were unsized and only lubed. No leading. Wow, leading doesn't have anything to do with velocity! sent my sizing die off and had it opened up a couple thousandths and now I havent seen leading in years! FYI.... if your mould throws them big!
 
Can I ask, what is the purpose for powder coating boolits?

I'm guessing that it reduces leading? o need for lube? You bake them, right? I saw some pictures of powder coated (PC) boolits, they were cool looking, I'll give them that! Florescent yellow and green? Pretty cool.

However, if PC reduces leading, then I went a different direction to eliminate leading. My Dad taught me to cast at about 8 or 9 years old and I've been doing it ever since so I had many encounters with leaded up guns. I was talking to an older gun buddy of mine who also casts and he told me, oversize the boolits to eliminate leading so I loaded some in 44 mag that were unsized and only lubed. No leading. Wow, leading doesn't have anything to do with velocity! sent my sizing die off and had it opened up a couple thousandths and now I havent seen leading in years! FYI.... if your mould throws them big!
Powder coating eliminates the need for lube. I've had zero leading using PC'd bullets.
Yes, it will increase the diameter, but usually only about .001.... the coating compresses easily, so there is no discernible increase in pressures.

The 11.0g load of AA #5 chrono's right at 900 fps out of my 4.25" Redhawk.
Using 10.5 g of Tru Blue and mag primers, I got right at 1000 fps.

Your buddy was correct... bullets need to be at least .001 over known bore diameter... most leading is caused by undersized bullets allowing hot propellent gases to blow past, melting the lead, smearing it down the bore.
Also, the cylinder throats need to be at, or slightly larger than bore diameter. If the bore is known to be .452, then the throats would be about perfect at .4525.....
 
  • Like
Reactions: Edward429451
I got plent of medium loads with Unique and 2400, but 2400 is getting hard to find!

WHat I need for 45 Colt is something around 1100-1200fps. I was thinking 296, I have some of that on the shelf. I might get there with 2400 but I don't want to go through too much of it because it's my goto powder for 44 Mag.

I don't think you will get there with AA #5, but you can with AA #9 (use mag primers).... it's very similar to 296 and H110, but it's usually cheaper to buy, or at least it used to be.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Edward429451
update.... according to the Western Powders reloading data, you CAN get there with both AA #5 and True Blue...
Note that these loads are ONLY for strong handguns or rifles... like Ruger Blackhawk/Redhawk, etc...

WesternPowders 45 Colt .jpg
 

Attachments

  • 1773060100537.png
    1773060100537.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Like
Reactions: Edward429451
update.... according to the Western Powders reloading data, you CAN get there with both AA #5 and True Blue...
Note that these loads are ONLY for strong handguns or rifles... like Ruger Blackhawk/Redhawk, etc...

View attachment 286468

I should be ok, I have a Blackhawk. I like the looks of that #5 data, that's where I want to be, but...no AA#5! I have some 255's loaded up with 18.0 gr of 2400 and I have yet to shoot any but 17.5 was quite a handful and fine! Plus I have some WW231 and I want to try that in it too. Prolly first because I just paid my prop taxes and it got my money, dang robbers.
 
I just got a Springfield Armory 1911 .... the Emissary.. I think I'm going to enjoy this one. It is Commander sized, and holds 8 rounds. It's taking me some time to get the "feel" back for shooting a 1911, but this shows some promise.

Emissary.webp

at 7 yards, standing, using random fmj ammo....

SA 7yd stand.jpg
 
I just got a Springfield Armory 1911 .... the Emissary.. I think I'm going to enjoy this one. It is Commander sized, and holds 8 rounds. It's taking me some time to get the "feel" back for shooting a 1911, but this shows some promise.

View attachment 286595

at 7 yards, standing, using random fmj ammo....

View attachment 286596
It's unique with that giant checkering all the way around and square trigger guard. I always liked square the best.
That sized 45 seems like an ideal ccw. Hope you enjoy that many years.

I learned some interesting new things about long range from watching this. He explained what it takes to hit a standard sized soup can at a mile.

 
Canada to send police door-to-door to confiscate guns.

Not sure if the link will work.
Can watch ColionNoir on YouTube talk about it.

California law enforcement did this following registration of common rifles years ago.
This is the same authoritarian script they keep using.
Australia is building up to do the same soon.

I did not know that ARs and handguns were stolen by trudou. Wow!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Genipher
That is one of the "calling cards" of the Democratic Socialists.... same thing happened in 1937-ish in Germany....
 
The disarmament of the German Jews started in 1933, initially limited to local areas. A major target was Berlin, where large-scale raids in search for weaponry took place. Starting in 1936, the Gestapo prohibited German police officers from giving firearms licenses to Jews.<a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disarmament_of_the_German_Jews#cite_note-1"><span>[</span>1<span>]</span></a> In November 1938, the Verordnung gegen den Waffenbesitz der Juden prohibited the possession of firearms and bladed weapons by Jews.

Santayana was correct.... "Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
 
That is one of the "calling cards" of the Democratic Socialists.... same thing happened in 1937-ish in Germany....
Speaking of Democratic Socialists. These people are the cancer of America!

 
  • Like
Reactions: DeanM
Speaking of Democratic Socialists. These people are the cancer of America!

They will have trouble in flyover country. Not to mention the south.
 
  • Like
Reactions: mailmandan