The hardest question of all.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CS1

May 23, 2012
All of us read and study the word of God to enrich our knowledge on of the who's and what's. We search for understanding, wisdom, and answers.
But did you know the most hardest question to answer for a christian is why jesus? Why do we believe what we believe.
Can you answer that question?

Why jesus?
Why Jesus. In the book of Martyrs. A Preacher in a foreign land was asked to deny Jesus as the tortured him with water . He said " all my life Jesus has been nothing but good to me, I would be a fools to deny HIM now. They burned him to a stake. Why Jesus you ask? Because HE saved me.

P

pottersclay

Why Jesus. In the book of Martyrs. A Preacher in a foreign land was asked to deny Jesus as the tortured him with water . He said " all my life Jesus has been nothing but good to me, I would be a fools to deny HIM now. They burned him to a stake. Why Jesus you ask? Because HE saved me.
And still where is the evidence.....means nothing to a non informed person. To us that have been blessed with the truth yes.

P

pottersclay

I believe it was given as evidence :)

Some people do come to belief and faith through what begins as an intellectual examination of facts in search of the truth. Lee Strobel would perhaps be a good example of this. Still others claim it is impossible to know definitively whether or not God exists, rejecting outright anything that can not be proven empirically, and with the scientific method, while overlooking the fact that the primary definition of empirical means to be guided by experience without using the scientific method. "Spiritual" I have heard described as a soggy cabbage of a word :giggle: One really does need to experience for one's self any number of things before they truly can be believed.
To a seeking world they need something tangible. Our history actually God's history. The fulfillment of prophecy. The 300 plus prophetic signs that you mengenta have beautifully displayed in the pass our evidences of the truth.

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
Love this but what does it have to do with the o.p.? Sorry maybe I'm missing something?
I highlighted my reply to thread #1. My answer was specific to the last two words: WHY JESUS?

In thread #3 you asked another poster this:
QUOTE "Why jesus out of all the other religions why him?" My reply attempted to answer this question as well" end quote.

Again my reply was:
Jesus resurrection from the dead.

Recorded below over 500 eye witnesses to Jesus resurrection.

1 Cor 15:
5 And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:

6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.

7 After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.

Christ's resurrection is Father's stamped receipt: Sins required wage Paid, Received & Accepted. Best wishes, FD

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Why jesus out of all the other religions why him?
It is a simple fact that there is only one way to gain eternal Life, and that is through Jesus. If we preach that one's faith can be picked out of many like one's favorite flavor of ice cream, then we are not worth our salt as followers of Christ. There is only one acceptable position for any man to be found in upon the Day of our Lord's return: completely surrendered to and faithfully following Jesus of Nazareth who also happens to be the one and only Creator of the Universe.

It is not Ok to shop for gods like one shops for cars. Eternal damnation is to anyone who rejects the Atonement of the Father's only begotten Son.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
To a seeking world they need something tangible. Our history actually God's history. The fulfillment of prophecy. The 300 plus prophetic signs that you mengenta have beautifully displayed in the pass our evidences of the truth.
Yes, but, the non-believer largely rejects the Bible as being historically accurate. Perhaps not all, but even if they accept some or even most of the historical claims, they reject the supernatural elements, miracles, prophecies fulfilled, and the Divinity of Jesus.

Infinite_Ark

Sep 19, 2020
Why Jesus? A unique question for sure.
How do we know we need Jesus? No disrespect intended. I just left a discussion that has me a bit confused and now I find this. Maybe it is a sign I don't know.
Our human race is estimated to be in existence for about 200,000 years. But we find out we are what we're told we are in the old testament that is about 1,000 years old. I looked and they say it came to exist about 1,500 B.C..
And it is 3,518 years since that old testament came into being.

Do you see my question?
I was brought up in the faith and now I'm older and want to see if there is anything about it that is meant for me today. I appreciate any help. You all know so much and for me it is becoming more confusing the more I read things here.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Why Jesus? A unique question for sure.

I was brought up in the faith and now I'm older and want to see if there is anything about it that is meant for me today. I appreciate any help. You all know so much and for me it is becoming more confusing the more I read things here.
Life is a gift from God, from Whom all good things come. Jesus is the only means to be reconciled to the Father and attain to life ever after. He holds the keys to life, and death. He gave His human life as the ultimate sacrifice for the remission of sins due to His everlasting undying love for us. That applies as much today as it ever did :) I hope you are able to settle this matter in your heart, mind, and soul.

John 3:16

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
There are two separate worlds operating at the same time. A secular world and a spiritual world. Our secular world reflects the spiritual one, but you can choose to live in only the secular world and close out all knowledge of the eternal world of God.

To be aware of the spiritual world we need the help of the Holy Spirit, for our fleshly self simply cannot comprehend the spiritual world. We can close our minds off from the spiritual world at any time and close ourselves off from the eternal world and live only in this temporary world.

P

pottersclay

Yes, but, the non-believer largely rejects the Bible as being historically accurate. Perhaps not all, but even if they accept some or even most of the historical claims, they reject the supernatural elements, miracles, prophecies fulfilled, and the Divinity of Jesus.
And if they do let it be known that you presented the evidence hard factual evidences and they chose to be foolish.

Infinite_Ark

Sep 19, 2020
Life is a gift from God, from Whom all good things come. Jesus is the only means to be reconciled to the Father and attain to life ever after. He holds the keys to life, and death. He gave His human life as the ultimate sacrifice for the remission of sins due to His everlasting undying love for us. That applies as much today as it ever did :) I hope you are able to settle this matter in your heart, mind, and soul.

John 3:16
I'm really trying to come to terms yes. Thank you for your good thoughts. I'm made confused by what I found in a different conversation here where I'm told God made us to be sinners that he may show his mercy. The easy belief discussion if you know it.
And then they are saying the gospels were only for the Jews. And others are only saved because the Jews rejected Jesus. It is all quite a mess.

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
Nail on the head saint nail on the head.......how would you go about doing this? Present the evidence.
God secured his testimony not only in the heavens but also in this earth. History cannot be erased.
With today's technical advantage many are what's called fact checked.
Jesus, peter, paul all used history in the preaching of the truth.
Some will say it's not part of the gospel . It most certainly is in fact it's how the gospel came to be pointing to the one and only Christ.
God meticulously put his prophetic word forward to the extent that Israel should of known the time of her visitation.
Yet only wise men from the east acted on the prophetic scriptures .
The bereans were known to fact check what was in the word and what was false.
Nothing under the sun has changed.
Knowing as I do that ony the Holy Spirit can convince people of sin and judgment, my words need divine guidance. What can I say that will hit home to the person who I am talking to. This is where the gift of discernment comes in.

I remember one time I was talking to a young homosexual who was telling me his story. I sat and listened and when he had finished, I said to him, "What you have been telling me is you want a daddy." He broke down in tears and said yes. He was now ripe for the picking.

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
I believe therein lies the problem. How can anyone who has never read the Bible accept Jesus? Faith is a fruit of God’s spirit and God gladly gives his spirit to those who seek it. The Bible is a product of God’s spirit, it being inspired of God. Failure to study and meditate on the Bible hinders any development of true faith.
Don't forget that the New Testament Church never had a bible. All they had was the Old Testament and EXPERIENCE = SUPERNATURAL.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Umm...because I'm pretty sure that he is the Word.

Bearing in mind all the faith/sight/human limitations that I have and all the junk the enemy shrouds the world in still Jesus being the Word bears up under intense scrutiny. There are still things that I'm not 100% convinced of but I don't want to be coerced and in my experience he doesn't do that.

Also the Word is mentioned many times in the OT and once a specific personhood is revealed (from what I see) and since he is there in the OT and John 1:1-4(?) says the same, I am inclined to believe that it must be true just because how would that speak to me so deeply?

I'm not saying I'm part Jewish or anything, but I'm pretty convinced even in my fleshly mind from the OT. I know Jesus said the scriptures testify of him but few in America start with the OT and then move to the new. It's almost always the reverse. The more I find him in what I feel more connected to, the more I believe in what is written in the NT. Hard to "essplain" but there you go.
(insert Spanish accent)

Why? Idk. I think he made me to be that way and he wrote the story and I get to be conscious and live it out and be a part of this adventure?

A way I've understood it is we are peculiar (from the verse) and set apart. We just do. Nothing we can really do about it in our inmost being because we are born again. Which should be comforting but also umm a bit uncomfortable...ah but we also have the comforter to smooth that over :)

P

pottersclay

Blind faith there is no such thing as that in a christians walk. The Lord says to trust in him is that blind faith....no not if you know the father's nature is to give you more than your expectations.
And yet some have voiced here to preach blind faith.
The bible.....66 books by 40 different authors known to be a integrated message system.
The bible....known to be the most accurate history book of all time.
The bible....know for it's prophetic writings with undeniable accuracy.
The bible....speaks of a God who interacts with Devine power leaving scares on the land of past judgement, the rise and falls of many known empires.
The bible..... Centering on a nation of people who's 6000 thousand year history has defied all other nations known to man.
The bible.... Meticulously detailing a certain king to be born that would one day rule the nation's.
The bible....taking science to it's entirety. That the conclusion of life its self had to be of a Devine nature for no answers can be found and proved with out this theology.

Anyone interested in knowing where and when????

My point simple ....it's more than scripture the Lord want you to know. The whole council of God needs to be studied.
Did jesus know that the bible would be written as it is today? The answer is yes in deed.
There were a few people jesus pointed out and said that there testamony will be known throughout all generations such as Mary who annoited him with oil .

The whole word of God can be trusted and proven don't let the enemy Rob you .
As the Lord said....my people fail because of lack of knowledge.

The natural man cannot discern that of the spirit.......so true. Does that mean thats the only evidence we can show?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I'm really trying to come to terms yes. Thank you for your good thoughts. I'm made confused by what I found in a different conversation here where I'm told God made us to be sinners that he may show his mercy. The easy belief discussion if you know it.
And then they are saying the gospels were only for the Jews. And others are only saved because the Jews rejected Jesus. It is all quite a mess.
I am sorry you are being confused by the discussions here. If you start in Genesis, you will see that man knowingly chose to sin. Yes, God does show His mercy, for He covered their sin and had a plan in place whereby humanity could be reconciled to Him... by grace, through faith, for without faith, it is impossible to please God. I would suggest not getting caught up in buzz words or phrases that are not Biblical, for they originate in one extreme view coming against another. Pray for clarity as you read through the Scriptures, and surely, more will be revealed to you. Believing in the finished work of Jesus Christ is an excellent place to begin :)

notuptome

May 17, 2013
It's not really all that hard. John 3:18-21 explains why some do not come to Christ. John 16:8-11 explains how men come to face the Light.

We are the witness that what God says is true. Our lives must be the witness to the lost. How else shall they hear? Romans 1 says that all of nature testifies of God. All men are without excuse.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Infinite_Ark

Sep 19, 2020
I am sorry you are being confused by the discussions here. If you start in Genesis, you will see that man knowingly chose to sin. Yes, God does show His mercy, for He covered their sin and had a plan in place whereby humanity could be reconciled to Him... by grace, through faith, for without faith, it is impossible to please God. I would suggest not getting caught up in buzz words or phrases that are not Biblical, for they originate in one extreme view coming against another. Pray for clarity as you read through the Scriptures, and surely, more will be revealed to you. Believing in the finished work of Jesus Christ is an excellent place to begin :)

Very good advice.
It isn't a buzzword being used in that discussion I mentioned. It is scripture.

Apr 19, 2020
Don't forget that the New Testament Church never had a bible. All they had was the Old Testament and EXPERIENCE = SUPERNATURAL.
Yes-The early church had Hebrew Scriptures containing prophecy, fulfilled in Christ, witnessed by apostles and through extensive witnessing work spread abroad through eyewitness reports, powerful demonstrations of God’s Holy Spirit, all recorded and preserved for the benefit of generations to come. True faith is not credulity. Genuine faith requires basic or fundamental knowledge, acquaintance with evidence, as well as heartfelt appreciation of what that evidence indicates. Romans 10:17 ‘So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God’

CherieR

May 6, 2017
The persecution of the early church including apostles of Jesus is some evidence for the faith. The apostle Peter who preached Christ was persecuted and eventually executed for his faith in Jesus. The quick spread of Christianity among the church seems significant to me also considering the trials of being a Christian at this time.