The Heresy of Annihilationism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CS1

May 23, 2012
So you do not believe the wages of sin is death, but believe a
unrepentant mortal human sinner is given [the gift of eternal life] instead ?

OK that is your choice to believe this.
You know I wish you and other like you would stop reading into the comment things that were never said . you assume as you do with your biblical understanding of scriptures . you responded to a verse i posted and came away with a presupposition of it and me .

Wrong

Nov 12, 2015
There will actually only be 2 beings, both human, in the lake of fire for the first 1000 years - the beast and the false prophet.
I agree.

The thing I see and want others to see if possible, is that some verses are describing dead men as they were before Jesus' resurrection (sleeping), some verses describe dead men after Jesus' resurrection (aware, conscious), some verses describe dead men in hell before hell is thrown in the lake of fire, and some verses describe dead men after being thrown in the lake of fire.

I think it's important to (if possible) try to ascertain which is which.

It also is never strictly and plainly said that anyone but the unholy trinity will be in torment night and day forever and ever.
Of the humans thrown in the lake of fire, it is only said they also have a part in the lake and this is the second death.

And oddly, God said death in the beginning and satan said, oh no, you wont really die, and the same thing is being repeated here again when God says second death - they are saying, oh no, you wont really die but will live forever. (In torment).

prove-all

May 16, 2014
You know I wish you and other like you would stop reading into the comment things
that were never said . you assume as you do with your biblical understanding of scriptures .
you responded to a verse i posted and came away with a presupposition of it and me .

Wrong
You mean like you did to me the other day about "the trinity" thing ?

you say death is not a wage for sin but eternal punishment.
you believe a mortal sinner is given the gift of eternal life,
just so they can be punished forever, that is what I see.

CS1

May 23, 2012

the trinity ? Ok please show me the thing I said or did ?

and I did not say "death is not the wages of sin ". please smh . and I want to see where i did what you have suggested too.

Nov 12, 2015

Actually...he doesn't believe a mortal sinner is given the gift of eternal life...he believes the sinner is born eternally alive already...but then there's being born again and receiving Gods' Spirit, but Gods' Spirit does not give a man immortality because he already had immortality before he received Gods' Spirit...

Nov 12, 2015
It appears it was gb9 who said you deny the trinity and not CS1. At least that's the post your link leads us to...

prove-all

May 16, 2014

prove-all

May 16, 2014
It appears it was gb9 who said you deny the trinity and not CS1.
At least that's the post your link leads us to...
gb9 did not post to me. I had not said a word to csi on subject yet

I commented on gb9 post, that gb9 he had posted to someone else not me.
I posted about ‘God’ is Elohim, then csi come out of nowhere to post rant.

Nov 12, 2015
I commented on gb9 post, that gb9 he had posted to someone else not me.
I posted about ‘God’ is Elohim, then csi come out of nowhere to post.
Oh yeah, I saw the next post where you gave the three separate links to the relevant posts. He could have just mistakenly thought gb9's post was you. Gb9's the one who accused someone of not believing in the trinity.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Now that I looked at what was said you I think misunderstood my comment The person who mentiond
my comment was misplaced I was speaking to gb9 I clearly posted in the wrong location I will ask you to forgive my mistake. As you look it was gb9 who brought up the trinity not you. three conversions going on wit you & gb9 you and I and jermiah and me .

W

whatev

You know I wish you and other like you would stop reading into the comment things that were never said . you assume as you do with your biblical understanding of scriptures . you responded to a verse i posted and came away with a presupposition of it and me .

Wrong
I am baffled by this whole conversation for the very same reason. Everyone is assuming everyone else is either agreeing or disagreeing with them, but I'm stuck thinking, what is anyone saying?

I do believe there is Hell just as much as I believe there is Heaven. But I know about as much about Hell as Heaven for the same reason. Every explanation of either location in the Bible tries to make some place completely alien to anyone on earth understandable to people who haven't been to either place. It would be easier to understand what the dark side of the moon is like because at least someone has been to the light side of the moon to hazard a guess.

And yet, you all seem to be arguing things we mere humans will never fully comprehend until we get there, as if the destination is the ultimate reason we're leading our lives in this way.

It's not the reason we are. And if it is the reason, then there is a much bigger problem than if there is a hell to face.

Is there no room for "we can't possibly understand it, however I think.... What do you think?"

A meeting of the minds, instead of a digging in of the heels.

Nov 12, 2015
I am baffled by this whole conversation for the very same reason. Everyone is assuming everyone else is either agreeing or disagreeing with them, but I'm stuck thinking, what is anyone saying?

I do believe there is Hell just as much as I believe there is Heaven. But I know about as much about Hell as Heaven for the same reason. Every explanation of either location in the Bible tries to make some place completely alien to anyone on earth understandable to people who haven't been to either place. It would be easier to understand what the dark side of the moon is like because at least someone has been to the light side of the moon to hazard a guess.

And yet, you all seem to be arguing things we mere humans will never fully comprehend until we get there, as if the destination is the ultimate reason we're leading our lives in this way.

It's not the reason we are. And if it is the reason, then there is a much bigger problem than if there is a hell to face.

Is there no room for "we can't possibly understand it, however I think.... What do you think?"

I will try to unconfused you but not sure it will work. :p

The core of the debate centers on whether or not men are born immortal.
Because in order to be eternally tormented, a man would have to BE eternal.

CS1

May 23, 2012

well the issue is what the word of God says about the context of hell and what it means if hell is not as Jesus said it would be.
That is very important Jesus said hell is place of eternal torment . IF that is not the case and I just cease to exist, and can live my life on earth as I please and when I die if I am not saved I just cease to exist . That is not Biblical it is error and it is not truth. The position is not one of compromise and WE do know what Jesus has said about . Those who hold to the annihilationism error a void the very words of Christ. they allegorize them, or dismiss them wit " it was parable" or use one word wagon circling to prove biblical context. that is error.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
I will try to unconfused you but not sure it will work. :p

The core of the debate centers on whether or not men are born immortal.
Because in order to be eternally tormented, a man would have to BE eternal.
Folks seem to get confused over the eternal nature of the soul which God breathed into man and the body of man which was formed from the dust of the earth.

The body is mortal the soul is not.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

CS1

May 23, 2012
Well, that's rare in here to see a man say, oops, I made a mistake, I'm sorry. :D
I will be the first one to say as many here do know I could be wrong, and i have no issue with saying it . I challenge other to do the same :)