The Hypocrisy of Exegesis

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

JohnChingford2007

Christ didn't do any exegesis of the Scriptures? Is that what Luke 24:27 means? "And beginning at Moses and all the Prophets, He expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself" (NKJV). Isn't that expounding exegesis?
It isn't reading into Scripture; it's revealing what is in Scripture about Christ, and Christ revealed Himself to His Apostles from reading the Scriptures concerning Himself to them, when He was with them for 40 days after His Resurrection.

Hi Scotth

Excellent! You are absolutely correct that Jesus used exegesis whenever He taught His disciples from the OT. It says so clearly in the verses you quoted. How can anyone deny it, anymore? The verses you quoted, together with 2 Tim 2:15 should clinch the deal

J

JohnChingford2007

Hey Guys

The way God has put the Bible together is amazing. There seems to be answers to virtually every false interpretation. The Bible is full of examples where scripture interprets scripture. Regarding the practice of exegesis. What about Paul's advice to Timothy (and therefore to all Christian teachers) that says "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth" 2 Tim 2:15 NIV 1984

Correctly handles or rightly dividing the word of truth KJV This instruction is what exegesis is all about!!! Correctly handling Bible exposition by weighing up the contents of the WHOLE Bible.

I have repeated the above because it may not get seen by some. I noticed that the last time it appeared on page 4, but now we are on page 5, so I thought that it would not be seen if anybody clicks on the latest page only.

Aug 18, 2011
Christ didn't do any exegesis of the Scriptures? Is that what Luke 24:27 means? "And beginning at Moses and all the Prophets, He expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself" (NKJV). Isn't that expounding exegesis?
It isn't reading into Scripture; it's revealing what is in Scripture about Christ, and Christ revealed Himself to His Apostles from reading the Scriptures concerning Himself to them, when He was with them for 40 days after His Resurrection.
Lets look at Luke 24:27 Scott and the verses before it and after so we have a little context
25Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:

26Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?
27And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself. 28And they drew nigh unto the village, whither they went: and he made as though he would have gone further.
These verses refer to Jesus teaching the disciples of how what the prophets spoke, pertained to him.

It does not mean he explained everything to Moses or any of the prophets themselves.

This is not exegesis! this is edification or verification if you like of who was standing before them. Not Exegesis

A

AnandaHya

Exegesis is the process of seeking to understand what a text means or communicates on its own. It's not hypocritical unless the one doing the exegesis engages in hypocritical exegesis.

Interestingly, Eisegesis (a different word) is generally a derogatory term used to designate the practice of imposing a preconceived or foreign meaning onto a text, even if that meaning could not have been originally intended at the time of its writing and so would probably have been the word the author of this thread should have chosen, in my opinion, to make their point instead of exegesis which is not inherently hypocritical in and of itself.

Probably the most common exegesis is Canonical exegesis which endeavors to determine what a given passage means not only in the immediate context of its date, authorship and setting but in the wider context of the canon in which it was ultimately incorporated. This is a valid quest, but it does presuppose the completion of the canonizing process.
yes it is Musky stop mixing the terms please...

Exegesis is a GOOD THING if done correctly.

Eisegesis is normally a BAD thing and that when people ADD things like their preconceived notions to the texts.

you just need to humble yourself and say sorry when people post and misunderstand your error in the choice of words (since most only read the original post and not all the side commentary) and explain what your really mean.

that at least is what I would do if I was in your position.

Aug 18, 2011
yes it is Musky stop mixing the terms please...

Exegesis is a GOOD THING if done correctly.

Eisegesis is normally a BAD thing and that when people ADD things like their preconceived notions to the texts.

you just need to humble yourself and say sorry when people post and misunderstand your error in the choice of words (since most only read the original post and not all the side commentary) and explain what your really mean.

that at least is what I would do if I was in your position.
NO IT IS NOT EXEGESIS look it I just read it again several times for crying out loud.

Jesus said to his disciples as they were walking along on their way to Emmaus (a village outside Jerusalem)about all the scripture written before then about him.

He did not say HE TAUGHT MOSES come on read it again yourself please THE WHOLE CHAPTER.
Context is extremely important and this is exactly how misinterpretations happen in the first place.

Last edited:
J

JohnChingford2007

No-one is saying that Jesus taught Moses. It says Jesus expounded the Word of God to them. Expounded means to bring out the truth in the scriptures. Jesus gave exegesis to the OT scriptures proving that He was the Messiah. I already gave you 2 Tim 2:15 which is Paul's instruction to Timothy to handle the Word of God correctly, ie exegesis. "rightly dividing the Word of Truth" is what exegesis is all about.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
No-one is saying that Jesus taught Moses. It says Jesus expounded the Word of God to them. Expounded means to bring out the truth in the scriptures. Jesus gave exegesis to the OT scriptures proving that He was the Messiah. I already gave you 2 Tim 2:15 which is Paul's instruction to Timothy to handle the Word of God correctly, ie exegesis. "rightly dividing the Word of Truth" is what exegesis is all about.
You see John the whole problem here is we bounce from one thread to another and may forget our train of thought of what we were talking about perhaps confusing the issue by not reading further up in the thread and not taking the whole argument into account it was a response to another thread earlier in which as I understood it some are saying Jesus had already taught Moses but not as Jesus but God himself which carries from another thread where my colleagues and I are debating about the nature of the Godhead.

When two or more threads collide there is gonna be an accident sooner or later and it usually can be avoided with due diligence on the part of the reader of the thread to follow back into the thread to learn more about the nature of said argument in the first place.

IN OTHER WORDS DON'T GO OFF HALF COCKED READ IT ALL.

bet you that some will read these words and be fired up by only reading the BOLD words rather than taking it all in to get a well rounded understanding of the entire debate.

Thanks for your input much appreciated.

J

JohnChingford2007

You see John the whole problem here is we bounce from one thread to another and may forget our train of thought of what we were talking about perhaps confusing the issue by not reading further up in the thread and not taking the whole argument into account it was a response to another thread earlier in which as I understood it some are saying Jesus had already taught Moses but not as Jesus but God himself which carries from another thread where my colleagues and I are debating about the nature of the Godhead.

When two or more threads collide there is gonna be an accident sooner or later and it usually can be avoided with due diligence on the part of the reader of the thread to follow back into the thread to learn more about the nature of said argument in the first place.

IN OTHER WORDS DON'T GO OFF HALF COCKED READ IT ALL.

bet you that some will read these words and be fired up by only reading the BOLD words rather than taking it all in to get a well rounded understanding of the entire debate.

Thanks for your input much appreciated.
Your very welcome

A

AnandaHya

I don't know if anyone said Jesus taught Moses or not. that is not the issue. the issue is the correct use of the term EXEGESIS.

Defend God's truth not your pride.