The ignore function

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

Ellsworth1943

In my opinion, putting someone on ignore is a cop out.
Just a way to not respond to them when they ask questions you do not want to deal with or cannot answer.

A

AuntieAnt

Just a way to not respond to them when they ask questions you do not want to deal with or cannot answer.
I agree with you that there may be times it's a cop out. But I don't believe we can make such a general statement about everyone who ever uses the ignore function. I'm sure the administrators of the site created it for a reason, don't you think? There are times when a member may antagonize another, trying to provoke them to anger. In a case like that, when attempts to reason with them has failed, don't you think it wise for a person to separate themselves from that strife?

A

AuntieAnt

I guess im a cop out. Good to know
You're not a cop out, sister Demi... you've "opted out" of answering to men by keeping silent. :)

Isaiah 53:7 ~ He was oppressed and was afflicted, yet He opened not His mouth. He was led as a Lamb to the slaughter; and as a sheep before its shearers is silent, so He opened not His mouth.

Matthew 27:12 ~ But when the leading priests and the elders made their accusations against Him, Jesus remained silent.

Matthew 27:14 ~ But Jesus made no reply, not even to a single charge--to the great amazement of the governor.

Mark 5:36 ~ Jesus overheard what they were talking about and said to the leader, "Don't listen to them; just trust Me."

Mark 15:5 ~ But Jesus made no further answer, so that Pilate was amazed.

Luke 23:9 ~ Then Herod questioned Him with many words; but Jesus answered him nothing.

Romans 16:17 ~ I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them.

Proverbs 6:19 ~ God hates it … sowing discord among brothers.

Titus 3:10, 11 ~ As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him, knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned.

Acts 5:29 ~ But Peter and the apostles answered, “We must obey God rather than men.”

It's one thing to have a peaceful discussion, to encourage one another, to teach & learn from one another in love and gentleness. It's quite another thing to continue in a heated debate about what one believes against another. That causes divisions and the LORD hates it and tells us to avoid it.

I'm certain the administrators of this site created the ignore button not as a cop out, but as an OPT OUT of answering to men rather than to God. If it sows peace, it's honorable.

D

Depleted

Since we're giving our opinions and all, I think people who take the time to tell others why they shouldn't ignore people is like double-dog-daring in fifth grade. It might work in fifth grade, but it's simply amusing to watch after fifth grade.

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
I know to use the ignore function when I get to the point I want to reach through the computer and slap someone.... The ignore button is a wonderful feature at that time saves me from hurting my hand....

Huckleberry

Aug 25, 2013
Just a way to not respond to them when they ask
questions you do not want to deal with or cannot answer.
Well I've "copped out" over forty people on here.
Helps me speed past crap I know I don't want to read.