B
bap
Guest
2 Cor. 2: 7-8, 11
These verses show the importance of forgiving. I find it interesting that we are commanded not only to forgive, but to comfort the offender as well. I suppose this action shows the reality of our forgiveness toward that person. This principle was taught by Christ when He said, "But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;" (Matt. 5: 44)
I also think verse 11 is very important. Paul is teaching the people that if we do not forgive completely and whole heartedly, then it gives satan "an advantage of us" it gives him leverage in our lives and in our decisions.
Additionally, forgiving brings blessings. Christ said that if we forgive those we come in contact with, He will forgive us of our sins. That is such an important principle! We all need to be forgiven, yet God's forgiveness towards us is dependent upon us forgiving others. When we repent of a sin, how many of us think of making sure we are forgiving others, looking for an occasion to forgive another, as part of our list of things to do to repent?
When another offends us, it is an opportunity to forgive; it is an opportunity to show God that we want His forgiveness in our lives.
These verses show the importance of forgiving. I find it interesting that we are commanded not only to forgive, but to comfort the offender as well. I suppose this action shows the reality of our forgiveness toward that person. This principle was taught by Christ when He said, "But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;" (Matt. 5: 44)
I also think verse 11 is very important. Paul is teaching the people that if we do not forgive completely and whole heartedly, then it gives satan "an advantage of us" it gives him leverage in our lives and in our decisions.
Additionally, forgiving brings blessings. Christ said that if we forgive those we come in contact with, He will forgive us of our sins. That is such an important principle! We all need to be forgiven, yet God's forgiveness towards us is dependent upon us forgiving others. When we repent of a sin, how many of us think of making sure we are forgiving others, looking for an occasion to forgive another, as part of our list of things to do to repent?
When another offends us, it is an opportunity to forgive; it is an opportunity to show God that we want His forgiveness in our lives.