The infallible Pope drops the "F" bomb.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Have you ever said it at a church event, prayer function or in a prayer? Besides, I'm only attacking the notion that Catholics hold the Pope up as infallible, so it's really the "infallibility aspect" I'm attacking, not him or what he said. Although the "F" or "C" or whatever word, depending what language you are, really offends me because it takes what God made Holy between a man and woman, which symbolizes our relationship with Christ and uses it in a derogatory fashion.
THat should be no new news to any of us, as a matter of fact any claim to infallibility should be the true stumbling block...not some bedroom or bathroom word.

Bookends

Aug 28, 2012
A simple error in pronunciation with no malicious intent whatsoever, you guys just remember that when you lift your hand and point that finger....there are three that are pointing back at you from the same hand.
I don't make the claim of infallibility.

Nov 30, 2012
I don't make the claim of infallibility.
The Doctrine of Papal Infallibility goes only to when the Pope makes a decision on doctrine and dogma. We believe that Christ will stop him from giving false doctrine when making official decisions. Not interviews or sermons or off the cuff comments. Instead, only when the Pope states, "The view of the Church is..." or "This passage is to be interpreted as..."

Aug 15, 2009
When one sits in authority in God's place to make & change law he ought to at least be infallible.

sanglina

Jul 28, 2012
When a nobody like us (me) have never used those word, a person who is supposed to be in Authority (for Catholics) with moral responsibility as he is considered a Vicar of Christ by millions (of Catholics) should have been more careful in his choice of word.

In a way, it speaks volumes about the pope's casual attitude towards said word and consequently his moral character. Just my one cent observation.

G

Graybeard

AngryJudge.jpg ​so jujgemental

Misty77

Aug 30, 2013
When a nobody like us (me) have never used those word, a person who is supposed to be in Authority (for Catholics) with moral responsibility as he is considered a Vicar of Christ by millions (of Catholics) should have been more careful in his choice of word.

In a way, it speaks volumes about the pope's casual attitude towards said word and consequently his moral character. Just my one cent observation.
Did you read the article? It was a mispronunciation by a nonnative speaker. He didn't chose to use a profane word, but said his chosen word wrong. It's less than the difference between saying "pizzas" and "pizazz."

K

kayem77

As much as I dislike Catholic doctrine, I watched the video and it's only a case of mispronunciation. He quickly corrected the word after mispronouncing it, and there didn't seem to be any malicious intent behind his words. Nothing to see here guys...

Jun 19, 2013
Hey, don’t agree with the whole papal infallibility thing, but in the interest of lessening ignorance, I thought I would just give a heads up with regards to when Catholics believe the pope to be infallible.
There are 3 requirements for something he says to be considered infallible (and if any of the following 3 are missing, then the declaration isn’t considered to be an infallible doctrine… therefore everything he says is not considered to be infallible even to Catholics):

1. It must be made by the official successor to Peter (which most Catholics consider the pope to be).
  2. It (the pronouncement) has to be with regards to faith and morals.
  3. The pope must be speaking ex cathedra (which translates to “from the chair”) of Peter and he must be intending to proclaim a doctrine that binds the whole church to go along with.

I hope this helps :)

J

J-Kay-2

My personal opinion is he did NOT make error in use of words
out of ignorance of how to pronounce them.
I believe he is not what he claims to be and the real 'thing'
came out of his mouth.

As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he. What a man thinks
about most will come out eventually. Just my opinion ~

M

MarkMulder

Maybe this will convince some only Christ is infallible.

Video: Pope Francis drops F-bomb - Telegraph
That made me think of this passage:

[SUP]"10 [/SUP]Jesus called the crowd to him and said, “Listen and understand. [SUP]11 [/SUP]What goes into someone’s mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them.”

[SUP]15 [/SUP]Peter said, “Explain the parable to us.”
[SUP]16 [/SUP]“Are you still so dull?” Jesus asked them. [SUP]17 [/SUP]“Don’t you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body? [SUP]18 [/SUP]But the things that come out of a person’s mouth come from the heart, and these defile them. [SUP]19 [/SUP]For out of the heart come evil thoughts—murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander."

[Matthew 15: 10,15-19]

So the pope eating his own boogers certainly isn't in conflict with his "infallibility." :rolleyes:

SparkleEyes

Mar 23, 2013
As much as I dislike Catholic doctrine, I watched the video and it's only a case of mispronunciation. He quickly corrected the word after mispronouncing it, and there didn't seem to be any malicious intent behind his words. Nothing to see here guys...
I completely agree. We need to always consider intent. A reasonable person who doesn't have an agenda against the Catholic church would realize that based on his position, his faith and the words in this speech, he did not intend to say the "c-bomb". :cool:

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Hey, don’t agree with the whole papal infallibility thing, but in the interest of lessening ignorance, I thought I would just give a heads up with regards to when Catholics believe the pope to be infallible.
There are 3 requirements for something he says to be considered infallible (and if any of the following 3 are missing, then the declaration isn’t considered to be an infallible doctrine… therefore everything he says is not considered to be infallible even to Catholics):

1. It must be made by the official successor to Peter (which most Catholics consider the pope to be).
  2. It (the pronouncement) has to be with regards to faith and morals.
  3. The pope must be speaking ex cathedra (which translates to “from the chair”) of Peter and he must be intending to proclaim a doctrine that binds the whole church to go along with.

I hope this helps :)
I'm not sure if that helps. Seems to me that James, John, Luke, Mark, Paul etc., would never make the grade,

A

Anonimous

I'm glad none of us have ever had a slip of the tongue before. At least his was an honest mistake. I've heard worse coming out of believers lips on purpose...repeatedly.

A

Anonimous

No offense but the pope is believed by Catholics to be the vicor of Christ. I would expect a little more from someone in his position. It's not like we're talking about Jim and Tammy Faye here.
And we are to be Christ's reps here on earth. It's really no different.

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
I despise Catholicism. but to harp on the fact that he just made a slip of the tongue, well.. thats just petty.