The Karaoke Thread

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
This thread is about all things karaoke. What do you like to sing? Do you have any cool stories? Where are some of the best karaoke shows where you live? Have you sung any new songs lately that you really like?

Trying to make this one of those unending interest threads. We'll see where this goes. *cracks knuckles

J

Jenny23

Gosh. Let's see how many threads of yours I can spam. To my defense, it's not my fault that your threads are interesting...Best place to karaoke was in Shanghai, CN. It's almost like a sport there. Private rooms with endless amounts of food, and they don't kid around. It's a marathon of singing.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
I've never been to the Far East, but I was told they are really serious about it over there. So cool!

Are the singers normally pretty good? What were you over there for?

You spam my threads, I spam you with questions. That's how this works.

Gosh. Let's see how many threads of yours I can spam. To my defense, it's not my fault that your threads are interesting...Best place to karaoke was in Shanghai, CN. It's almost like a sport there. Private rooms with endless amounts of food, and they don't kid around. It's a marathon of singing.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
As for interesting locations, I got into karaoke while living in Memphis some time ago and no experience has eclipsed it since then.

Just a bunch of cool personalities chilling at dive bars. Met some neat and surprisingly talented folks that way.

J

Jenny23

I've never been to the Far East, but I was told they are really serious about it over there. So cool!

Are the singers normally pretty good? What were you over there for?

You spam my threads, I spam you with questions. That's how this works.
Deal.
Yes, they are definitely serious about it. It was almost a full day event. I would say they are better than the general public because they actually view it as something they can get better at. I taught English at a Uni there.

I'm assuming, if you started this thread, you love to karaoke. That's so funny.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
I can imitate a lot of voices and so that translates to singing also. I feel like it's showing off so I don't do Karaoke :(

Also it sort of feels like I'm giving a lot of these songs/artists a thumbs up and just the whole format feels a bit too showy.

I suppose I certainly would be more inclined if I could duet with someone.

Frustrating because it does seem fun, it's just that I can't separate the pride element. Navigating my feelings on this issue I certainly did not expect alas.

I asked for a little feedback just now from my step-dad who is a worship singer and he thinks it's not about pride but bringing joy to others...anyone else?

J

Jenny23

I tend to lean towards country or 80's songs for karaoke. Not sure why. Some great ones are:

On the Road Again by Willie
Crazy by Patsy Cline
Pour Some Sugar on Me by Def
Africa by Toto

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
I do love karaoke. It's a cool, kinda low maintenance, way for people to share music. The sub-culture aspect of it is my favorite part. The same reason why I like to visit tobacco shops.

That's so cool! I'm envious. For real, I almost never miss an ADV China/Lao Why/Serpentza video on YouTube. What was your experience like?

I should probably create another thread for this.

Deal.
Yes, they are definitely serious about it. It was almost a full day event. I would say they are better than the general public because they actually view it as something they can get better at. I taught English at a Uni there.

I'm assuming, if you started this thread, you love to karaoke. That's so funny.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
So your favorite shows are Stranger things and Gunsmoke.

I tend to lean towards country or 80's songs for karaoke. Not sure why. Some great ones are:

On the Road Again by Willie
Crazy by Patsy Cline
Pour Some Sugar on Me by Def
Africa by Toto

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
In all seriousness, I respect that. People need to mix up the genres every so often. One of my karaoke team members only sung Muddy Waters and Louie Armstrong. I tried to get him to do Tom Waits. It was a no-go.

J

Jenny23

In all seriousness, I respect that. People need to mix up the genres every so often. One of my karaoke team members only sung Muddy Waters and Louie Armstrong. I tried to get him to do Tom Waits. It was a no-go.
Woah. Wait. You have a karaoke team??

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
As for me, I mainly do Irish and British folk tunes and that early rock and country that blurred the genres a bit- Johnny Cash, Buddy Holly, Marty Robbins, etc.

After that I went to 80s alternative- Morrisey, Blondie, etc.

For some reason, I love Paul McCartney which is kinda out of my vocal range.

J

Jenny23

I do love karaoke. It's a cool, kinda low maintenance, way for people to share music. The sub-culture aspect of it is my favorite part. The same reason why I like to visit tobacco shops.

That's so cool! I'm envious. For real, I almost never miss an ADV China/Lao Why/Serpentza video on YouTube. What was your experience like?

I should probably create another thread for this.
It was difficult for me at first, but once I adjusted to the changes, I really liked it.

J

Jenny23

As for me, I mainly do Irish and British folk tunes and that early rock and country that blurred the genres a bit- Johnny Cash, Buddy Holly, Marty Robbins, etc.

After that I went to 80s alternative- Morrisey, Blondie, etc.

For some reason, I love Paul McCartney which is kinda out of my vocal range.
Looks like I would have fit right in.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Can't imagine. Those shows fascinate me because it just looks like a different planet.

It was difficult for me at first, but once I adjusted to the changes, I really liked it.