The Keys and Loosing and Binding

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Revelation 3:7
And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write, 'These things says He who is holy, He who is true, He who has the key of David, He who opens and no one shuts, and shuts and no one opens..'

Christ is the one who opens and shuts, who holds the keys to the kingdom.
That is why in Matthew the text literally reads what you bind on earth shall have already been bound in heaven.

Jan 12, 2019
If you will read Matt.18:15-17 you will see that Jesus is talking about a persons actions before (v.18).

In his book "The First Bishop of Rome?" published in 1935 The Rev. C. De Lisle Shortt says: QUOTE: pg.45... The Meaning of the terms in Jewish terminology. It is necessary to remember that the terms to ""bind" and "loose" in Jewish legal terminology, are equivalent to "forbid" and to "allow," to "declare forbidden" and to "declare allowed." It must be admitted that the terms describe an authority of an administrative nature, for he who binds and looses exercises authority of a legislative character. This authority of St. Peter and the other Apostles was to be exercised in the newly formed society-"whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth, shall be bound in heaven, etc. But in this sentence the word "whatsoever" is neuter-a fact which deserves careful attention for this reason, that the term cannot refer to persons, but only to things. UNQUOTE
Nice, I like your explanation about declare forbidden and allowed

Mar 28, 2016
If you will read Matt.18:15-17 you will see that Jesus is talking about a persons actions before (v.18).

In his book "The First Bishop of Rome?" published in 1935 The Rev. C. De Lisle Shortt says: QUOTE: pg.45... The Meaning of the terms in Jewish terminology. It is necessary to remember that the terms to ""bind" and "loose" in Jewish legal terminology, are equivalent to "forbid" and to "allow," to "declare forbidden" and to "declare allowed." It must be admitted that the terms describe an authority of an administrative nature, for he who binds and looses exercises authority of a legislative character. This authority of St. Peter and the other Apostles was to be exercised in the newly formed society-"whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth, shall be bound in heaven, etc. But in this sentence the word "whatsoever" is neuter-a fact which deserves careful attention for this reason, that the term cannot refer to persons, but only to things. UNQUOTE
Jewish terminology.. whats that?

The Meaning of the terms describe an authority of an administrative nature of eternal God not seen, not of men seen the temporal .

Peter assumedly having received these keys of authority used it to rebuke the king of glory and prevent him from doing what he came to do. Jesus rebuked him saying to Peter , Satan you offend me by looking at the things seen of men the temporal rather than the eternal manners of faith, The key retuned to it rightful owner not seen

Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee. But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.Mathew 16:22-23

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
Revelation 3:7
And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write, 'These things says He who is holy, He who is true, He who has the key of David, He who opens and no one shuts, and shuts and no one opens..'

Christ is the one who opens and shuts, who holds the keys to the kingdom.
That is why in Matthew the text literally reads what you bind on earth shall have already been bound in heaven.
In that light, I don't think this is about preaching the gospel (although I do enjoy that explanation), nor forbidding and allowing. There is another place where Jesus mentions keys:

Revelation 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

The Kingdom is entered by hearing the Gospel, and the Gospel is FORGIVENESS OF SINS. Forgiveness is the key to Heaven, when sins are loosed from people they can enter the Kingdom. When they are bound to people before God in Heaven, they go into hell and death. God is giving the keys to the believers is because we are His body and perform His will. The will to forgive others their trespasses, like God has forgiven us ours, originates from God so we don't get the glory, we just carry it out (it's already been loosed in Heaven, God wanted us to forgive our enemies). No man can loose if God didn't loose, or bind back sins to the person that is forgiven by Jesus. I believe this is not only about proclaiming God's forgiveness, but also the believer's authority to remit sins committed against himself, through Jesus, and in this following Jesus, who remitted sins committed against Himself. This is why saint Stephen begged God to not lay his murder to their charge, while he was being stoned.

Matthew 18:21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

This is the priesthood that we have in Christ, and Jesus is the chief priest who provided the sacrifice of atonement. If we forgive what is done against us it will be cleared in Heaven. Jesus made the atonement for all and forgave us and just like Him we are also due to act like one organism with God and love our enemies, and especially forgive to a brother who seeks forgiveness. The duty of priesthood in the Old testament was to offer up sweet savor, and loose the sins of the people (and they were also just carrying out what was first proclaimed in Heaven).

1 Peter 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, (...)
Revelation 1:6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; (...)

To suffer with Christ is to rule with Him, and to serve by loosing the sins of the people is to be His priest. The pyramid of power is upside down, and Jesus upholds us all.

Mar 28, 2016
In that light, I don't think this is about preaching the gospel (although I do enjoy that explanation), nor forbidding and allowing. There is another place where Jesus mentions keys:

Revelation 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

The Kingdom is entered by hearing the Gospel, and the Gospel is FORGIVENESS OF SINS. Forgiveness is the key to Heaven, when sins are loosed from people they can enter the Kingdom. When they are bound to people before God in Heaven, they go into hell and death. God is giving the keys to the believers is because we are His body and perform His will. The will to forgive others their trespasses, like God has forgiven us ours, originates from God so we don't get the glory, we just carry it out (it's already been loosed in Heaven, God wanted us to forgive our enemies). No man can loose if God didn't loose, or bind back sins to the person that is forgiven by Jesus. I believe this is not only about proclaiming God's forgiveness, but also the believer's authority to remit sins committed against himself, through Jesus, and in this following Jesus, who remitted sins committed against Himself. This is why saint Stephen begged God to not lay his murder to their charge, while he was being stoned.

Matthew 18:21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

This is the priesthood that we have in Christ, and Jesus is the chief priest who provided the sacrifice of atonement. If we forgive what is done against us it will be cleared in Heaven. Jesus made the atonement for all and forgave us and just like Him we are also due to act like one organism with God and love our enemies, and especially forgive to a brother who seeks forgiveness. The duty of priesthood in the Old testament was to offer up sweet savor, and loose the sins of the people (and they were also just carrying out what was first proclaimed in Heaven).

1 Peter 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, (...)
Revelation 1:6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; (...)

To suffer with Christ is to rule with Him, and to serve by loosing the sins of the people is to be His priest. The pyramid of power is upside down, and Jesus upholds us all.
Sins are not loosed after the flesh the things of men seen . Peter's error. Only God not seen can forgive having been loosed from heaven .The gospel the key

Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.Mathew 16:22-23

ComeLordJesus

Dec 26, 2017
Jewish terminology.. whats that?

The Meaning of the terms describe an authority of an administrative nature of eternal God not seen, not of men seen the temporal .

Peter assumedly having received these keys of authority used it to rebuke the king of glory and prevent him from doing what he came to do. Jesus rebuked him saying to Peter , Satan you offend me by looking at the things seen of men the temporal rather than the eternal manners of faith, The key retuned to it rightful owner not seen

Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee. But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.Mathew 16:22-23
Since Jesus was a Jew I don't see why you find it so hard to believe he would use something that was Jewish terminology.

The power of binding and loosing was always claimed by the Pharisees. Under Queen Alexandra, the Pharisees, says Josephus ("B J." i, 5, § 2), "became the administrators of all public affairs so as to be empowered to banish and readmit whom they pleased, as well as to loose and to bind." This does not mean that, as the learned men, they merely decided what, according to the Law, was forbidden or allowed, but that they possessed and exercised the power of tying or untying a thing by the spell of their divine authority, just as they could, by the power vested in them, pronounce and revoke an anathema upon a person. The various schools had the power "to bind and to loose"; that is, to forbid and to permit (Ḥag. 3b)

In this sense Jesus, when appointing his disciples to be his successors, used the familiar formula (Matt. xvi. 19, xviii. 18). By these words he virtually invested them with the same authority as that which he found belonging to the scribes and Pharisees who "bind heavy burdens and lay them on men's shoulders, but will not move them with one of their fingers"; that is, "loose them," as they have the power to do (Matt. xxiii. 2-4).

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
The Kingdom is entered by hearing the Gospel, and the Gospel is FORGIVENESS OF SINS. Forgiveness is the key to Heaven, when sins are loosed from people they can enter the Kingdom. When they are bound to people before God in Heaven, they go into hell and death. God is giving the keys to the believers is because we are His body and perform His will. The will to forgive others their trespasses, like God has forgiven us ours, originates from God so we don't get the glory, we just carry it out (it's already been loosed in Heaven, God wanted us to forgive our enemies). No man can loose if God didn't loose, or bind back sins to the person that is forgiven by Jesus. I believe this is rather about the believer's authority to remit sins committed against himself, through Jesus, and in this following Jesus, who remitted sins committed against Himself. This is why saint Stephen begged God to not lay his murder to their charge, while he was being stoned.
Sins are not loosed after the flesh the things of men seen . Peter's error. Only God not seen can forgive having been loosed from heaven .The gospel the key

Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.Mathew 16:22-23
The whole mission of Jesus was forgiveness of sins. Being forgiven sins doesn't mean to become God, or become sin-proof. To loose is to forgive. Did Jesus not say to Simon at first "you are Cephas" and revealed the plan to have him as His servant... Peter repeatedly struggles but Jesus keeps forgiving him until he is made holy (70*7). Are we perfect after Jesus forgives us? We are still men, and wrestle with the flesh. The Gospel itself is declaration of that forgiveness, and the believers must also forgive others, until 70*7. That means to be given keys of binding and loosing. But it's already been loosed in Heaven through Jesus. We are just doing God's will.

Jul 23, 2018

If you read the next verse,vs 19, we see the context.
God is in the people business.
Binding and loosing is in ministry.
Ministry is to people.
Authority is required and referred to in mat 18:18.
Then sealed in mat 18:19.
Demons=kicked out
Infirmity=removed
Death=reversed
Drug addiction=broken
....and many more.
Keys to the kingdom=same power Jesus operated in.
Same Holy Spirit.
Same ministry....to destroy the works of the devil.
Authority...keys...Jesus followers empowered to be ambassadors of His kingdom

Jul 23, 2018
Since Jesus was a Jew I don't see why you find it so hard to believe he would use something that was Jewish terminology.

The power of binding and loosing was always claimed by the Pharisees. Under Queen Alexandra, the Pharisees, says Josephus ("B J." i, 5, § 2), "became the administrators of all public affairs so as to be empowered to banish and readmit whom they pleased, as well as to loose and to bind." This does not mean that, as the learned men, they merely decided what, according to the Law, was forbidden or allowed, but that they possessed and exercised the power of tying or untying a thing by the spell of their divine authority, just as they could, by the power vested in them, pronounce and revoke an anathema upon a person. The various schools had the power "to bind and to loose"; that is, to forbid and to permit (Ḥag. 3b)

In this sense Jesus, when appointing his disciples to be his successors, used the familiar formula (Matt. xvi. 19, xviii. 18). By these words he virtually invested them with the same authority as that which he found belonging to the scribes and Pharisees who "bind heavy burdens and lay them on men's shoulders, but will not move them with one of their fingers"; that is, "loose them," as they have the power to do (Matt. xxiii. 2-4).
No,the authority given Jesus followers was not in any way connected to anything of the jewish leadership.
The authority given by Jesus was for ministry in the same arena as what he went about doing.

Jul 23, 2018
The whole mission of Jesus was forgiveness of sins. Being forgiven sins doesn't mean to become God, or become sin-proof. To loose is to forgive. Did Jesus not say to Simon at first "you are Cephas" and revealed the plan to have him as His servant... Peter repeatedly struggles but Jesus keeps forgiving him until he is made holy (70*7). Are we perfect after Jesus forgives us? We are still men, and wrestle with the flesh. The Gospel itself is declaration of that forgiveness, and the believers must also forgive others, until 70*7. That means to be given keys of binding and loosing. But it's already been loosed in Heaven through Jesus. We are just doing God's will.
forgiveness yes.
Healing
Demon expulsion
Cjallenging and rebuking religious leaders

The bible says "for this reason was the son of God manifest,to destroy the works of the devil"

Jul 23, 2018
""But in this sentence the word "whatsoever" is neuter-a fact which deserves careful attention for this reason, that the term cannot refer to persons, but only to things.""

Be careful of what men tell you.
They will invariably use scripture to promote doctrine

Mar 28, 2016

That familiar formula turned things upside down as if the doctrines of God were earthly inspired of the spirit of lies .In Rome

Power comes down not goes up.

Deuteronomy 32:2My doctrine shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass:

We are made aware of that wile . The Youngs literal turns it right-side up removing the authority to venerate a form of worshiping men seen. A pagan tradition.

and I will give to thee the keys of the reign of the heavens, and whatever thou mayest bind upon the earth shall be having been bound in the heavens, and whatever thou mayest loose upon the earth shall be having been loosed in the heavens.'Mathew 16:19

How can we double check?? Chheck the context two verses later. .If Peter is used to represent the key it worked backward for him .when he tried to prevent the true key from preforming his work . Jesus said to peter Satan you have in mind the things of men seen and not the eternal things of God not seen . Many follow Peter. Peter was forgiven of his blasphemy . Why promote it?

Forcing or lording it over the pew sitting non venerable Catholic to seek the approval of men seen and not out Father in heaven not seen according to His commandment . Nothing in that commandment that would give us the idea to rather seek the approval of the fathers.

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Tim 2:15

You would seem to be dividing the power of God whose name is jealous .He will not share that power with the corrupted things seen the temporal .

Even Jesus when faced with the prospect that his flesh could profit for something .Said it profits not. It is the unseen Spirit that does profit as he works in those to both will and do his good pleasure..

Making men venerable rather than seeking the approval of God not seen according to His commandment that works in these earthen bodies .

The power is simply not after the flesh the things seen the temporal
but that they possessed and exercised the power of tying or untying a thing by the spell of their divine authority, just as they could, by the power vested in them
Usurping the DEVINE authority of our Father not seen and giving it to men called fathers seen the temporal simply shows one has another authority other than all things written in the law and the prophets (sola scriptura) The reforming authority in any generation. as it is written

2 Corinthians 4:7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

Not of the fathers as legion called apostolic succession a oral tradition of courted men. But of one Father .Call no man on earth father. which the legion of father makes to no efect.

Mar 28, 2016
The Gospel itself is declaration of that forgiveness, and the believers must also forgive others, until 70*7.

The gospel does the forgiving of sin the eternal wage .We forgive each other in a hope the person has been forgiven . We have to power to forgive sin in us but would never assume it could be of corrupted flesh and blood us.

2 Corinthians 4:7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

ComeLordJesus

Dec 26, 2017
That familiar formula turned things upside down as if the doctrines of God were earthly inspired of the spirit of lies .In Rome

Power comes down not goes up.

Deuteronomy 32:2My doctrine shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass:

We are made aware of that wile . The Youngs literal turns it right-side up removing the authority to venerate a form of worshiping men seen. A pagan tradition.

and I will give to thee the keys of the reign of the heavens, and whatever thou mayest bind upon the earth shall be having been bound in the heavens, and whatever thou mayest loose upon the earth shall be having been loosed in the heavens.'Mathew 16:19

How can we double check?? Chheck the context two verses later. .If Peter is used to represent the key it worked backward for him .when he tried to prevent the true key from preforming his work . Jesus said to peter Satan you have in mind the things of men seen and not the eternal things of God not seen . Many follow Peter. Peter was forgiven of his blasphemy . Why promote it?

Forcing or lording it over the pew sitting non venerable Catholic to seek the approval of men seen and not out Father in heaven not seen according to His commandment . Nothing in that commandment that would give us the idea to rather seek the approval of the fathers.

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Tim 2:15

You would seem to be dividing the power of God whose name is jealous .He will not share that power with the corrupted things seen the temporal .

Even Jesus when faced with the prospect that his flesh could profit for something .Said it profits not. It is the unseen Spirit that does profit as he works in those to both will and do his good pleasure..

Making men venerable rather than seeking the approval of God not seen according to His commandment that works in these earthen bodies .

The power is simply not after the flesh the things seen the temporal

Usurping the DEVINE authority of our Father not seen and giving it to men called fathers seen the temporal simply shows one has another authority other than all things written in the law and the prophets (sola scriptura) The reforming authority in any generation. as it is written

Not of the fathers as legion called apostolic succession a oral tradition of courted men. But of one Father .Call no man on earth father. which the legion of father makes to no efect.
Your post is utter nonsense.

ComeLordJesus

Dec 26, 2017
If you read the next verse,vs 19, we see the context.
God is in the people business.
Binding and loosing is in ministry.
Ministry is to people.
Authority is required and referred to in mat 18:18.
Then sealed in mat 18:19.
Demons=kicked out
Infirmity=removed
Death=reversed
Drug addiction=broken
....and many more.
Keys to the kingdom=same power Jesus operated in.
Same Holy Spirit.
Same ministry....to destroy the works of the devil.
Authority...keys...Jesus followers empowered to be ambassadors of His kingdom
(v.19) doesn't put it into context. Jesus said in (vs.16-17) It's a persons actions that will be loosed or bound. See (v.19)

Jul 23, 2018
(v.19) doesn't put it into context. Jesus said in (vs.16-17) It's a persons actions that will be loosed or bound. See (v.19)
AGAIN I SAY TO YOU
vs 19:"AGAIN I SAY UNTO YOU...."
(Referring to vs 18)
Context.

Vs 18 and 19 are a change in thought.

Read vs 19 "AGAIN I SAY...."
MAYBE ask an english teacher or something.

Mar 28, 2016
ComeLordJesus said:
The little word it carries the weight of the doctrine loosed from heaven bound on earth

The word it represents the unseen faith of God the gospel key that was revealed to Peter in the same way to us ..Not coming from flesh and blood but to or towards. again just as with us

If the it represented the flesh and blood of Peter and not the unseen faith of God the gates will remain bound .Just as in the garden hearing another voice with temporal form faith departed.

He saith to them, `And ye -- who do ye say me to be?' and Simon Peter answering said, `Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.' And Jesus answering said to him, `Happy art thou, Simon Bar-Jona, because flesh and blood did not reveal it to thee, but my Father who is in the heavens. `And I also say to thee, that thou art a rock, and upon this rock I will build my assembly, and gates of Hades shall not prevail against it; and I will give to thee the keys of the reign of the heavens, and whatever thou mayest bind upon the earth shall be having been bound in the heavens, and whatever thou mayest loose upon the earth shall be having been loosed in the heavens.'Then did he charge his disciples that they may say to no one that he is Jesus the Christ. From that time began Jesus to shew to his disciples that it is necessary for him to go away to Jerusalem, and to suffer many things from the elders, and chief priests, and scribes, and to be put to death, and the third day to rise. And having taken him aside, Peter began to rebuke him, saying, `Be kind to thyself, sir; this shall not be to thee;' and he having turned, said to Peter, `Get thee behind me, adversary! thou art a stumbling-block to me, for thou dost not mind the things of God, but the things of men.' Mathew 16: 15-23

Yet for all of that they still make the fulness of the grace of Christ without effect. The one and only damnable heresy . Removing the gospel key as it is written and giving it over to faithless men .

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
I think I kinda agree with this ^ .

I believe the passage states, [said unto Peter],

"And I will [future] give unto thee/you [singular] the keys of the kingdom of the heavens: and whatsoever things thou shalt bind on the earth shall [future] having been bound in the heavens: and whatsoever things thou shalt loose on the earth shall [future] having been loosed in the heavens"

https://biblehub.com/text/matthew/16-19.htm

...and I could be wrong, but I only recall the word "[to] you [singular; G4471 soi / su]" to be used in reference to a singular person, or to a singular nation (something like that)... Then the next verse states (verse 20), "Then He charged the disciples..." (meaning, all of the rest of them [plural] together along with Peter). It seems like it wouldn't be phrased in these ways (in these 2-3 verses), had verse 19 meant He was addressing all of them in that verse.

[note: again, I believe the phrase "the kingdom OF THE heavenS" pertains to the promised and prophesied earthly Millennial Kingdom and its governance]