The Loneliness Poll

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Do you struggle with loneliness?

• Total voters

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
People are not magnets lol
But, sometimes the same rules can apply. It tends to be overstated to the point of it being a cliché, but it is sometimes true.

Unless... you're talking about Jerry Seinfeld, who's always been looking for... himself.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
More broadly, lacking social connection can increase the risk for premature death as much as smoking up to 15 cigarettes a day. (https://www.hhs.gov/surgeongeneral/priorities/connection/index.html#advisory)

How many of you struggle with loneliness? Do you feel it is on the rise in our cultures? If you are struggling with loneliness, what is causing it? Can you identify the causes? Are there solutions and are they obtainable?

It is a very serious epidemic that we will never fully eradicate but a rise in loneliness can have very devastating consequences.

So one of the best ways to bring attention to this killer is to talk about it and shed light on the problem.
When I was in my 20s I had very bad, crippling loneliness; thankfully I've gradually grown out of it, and I believe I've had a lot of help from the Holy Spirit. I still like being in the general vicinity of people but I'm content if I never see or talk to anyone. I've made a couple of attempts at packing up all my belongings and heading into the wilderness but it didn't last very long; I went crazy pretty fast.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
But, sometimes the same rules can apply. It tends to be overstated to the point of it being a cliché, but it is sometimes true.

Unless... you're talking about Jerry Seinfeld, who's always been looking for... himself.
Sometimes sure but to be equally yoked is to have much in common.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
When I was in my 20s I had very bad, crippling loneliness; thankfully I've gradually grown out of it, and I believe I've had a lot of help from the Holy Spirit. I still like being in the general vicinity of people but I'm content if I never see or talk to anyone. I've made a couple of attempts at packing up all my belongings and heading into the wilderness but it didn't last very long; I went crazy pretty fast.
I do not believe I have ever felt alone. But I have never been in long periods of time with complete lack of social interactions.

I typically long to be alone but my life is very social with a big family, friends, work, and church. So I often find myself trying to have alone time.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I do not believe I have ever felt alone. But I have never been in long periods of time with complete lack of social interactions.

I typically long to be alone but my life is very social with a big family, friends, work, and church. So I often find myself trying to have alone time.
We are opposites in that regard. I do everything alone, and it is way past old.

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
What makes loneliness a pity problem?
You're an introverted guy, right? And you were single once, yes? Maybe you never experienced the presumptuous married type that assumes you are all lonely and sad because you aren't married like them- and reassure you that you'll be happy just like them someday (lol). If that's the case; I'm glad for you.

More importantly, by posting this in the family forum; you acknowledge that loneliness is not a singles-issue: it's a "people" issue. There's plenty of family-folks that are secretly lonely in their family life, when they thought it would bring fulfillment.

Sing to God!
Sing praises to His name.
Exalt Him who rides on the clouds—
His name is the LORD—
and rejoice before Him.
A father of the fatherless,
and a defender of the widows,
is God in His holy habitation.
God settles the lonely in families;
He leads the prisoners out to prosperity,
but the rebellious dwell in a sun-scorched land.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
You're an introverted guy, right? And you were single once, yes? Maybe you never experienced the presumptuous married type that assumes you are all lonely and sad because you aren't married like them- and reassure you that you'll be happy just like them someday (lol). If that's the case; I'm glad for you.

More importantly, by posting this in the family forum; you acknowledge that loneliness is not a singles-issue: it's a "people" issue. There's plenty of family-folks that are secretly lonely in their family life, when they thought it would bring fulfillment.

Sing to God!
Sing praises to His name.
Exalt Him who rides on the clouds—
His name is the LORD—
and rejoice before Him.
A father of the fatherless,
and a defender of the widows,
is God in His holy habitation.
God settles the lonely in families;
He leads the prisoners out to prosperity,
but the rebellious dwell in a sun-scorched land.
Nah I got married right out of high school. We been married 10 years. So in my twenties no body was pushing me to marry.

But yes loneliness can affect anyone. A spouse who feels like a roommate. A son whose parents work too much. An elderly lady who lost her husband. Or the side effects of depression.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
We are opposites in that regard. I do everything alone, and it is way past old.
Are there clubs of groups for hobbies you like. May can find connections of social media to local groups.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Are there clubs of groups for hobbies you like. May can find connections of social media to local groups.
Not really. I've tried meetup.com, but for years that has not resulted in anything. It's a waste of time.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Not really. I've tried meetup.com, but for years that has not resulted in anything. It's a waste of time.
Sometimes the library offers classes where like minded people join to learn new skills. Of course, any adult hobby that offers class type settings will give you the opportunity to meet people. Or just take to the streets with evangelism and you will meet all sorts of people.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Sometimes the library offers classes where like minded people join to learn new skills. Of course, any adult hobby that offers class type settings will give you the opportunity to meet people. Or just take to the streets with evangelism and you will meet all sorts of people.
Ha... I suppose I would.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
I agree to a point. But people are attracted to quiet ones as well. I personally as an introvert can get annoyed with some extroverted people. I find the introvert more attractive and I know when they speak it is something well thought out and worth hearing.
Proverbs 29:11

aharp

Oct 29, 2017
Loneliness is hard. You can be surrounded by people or in a room by yourself and be lonely...or not! It is a heart issue. A connection desire. And I have discovered that in each season of loneliness, the only One that can fill that void is my Abba. But I am in this flesh, so I long for flesh and blood connection. Is it wrong? Is it something the Lord gave us to experience and feel so that we can comfort others who are lonely?
I hurt when I am lonely and I can sympathize when others are feeling alone.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
(not in your particular situation) but my offering on this is: it seems so popular that people don't look within themselves as the possible source of loneliness. i know some women who just won't stop talking. holy heavens! it's a disease with them. 1 of them, i was involved in a friendly dinner with (not a date), at a very expensive restaurant in Saratoga. she talked immensely but i found a way to interrupt her with fake laughs & facial gestures & she went for it, blessedly for me. never dated her, thankfully. and another women i plowed snow for was a selfish talker like she was lonely also. excessive talking is at the top of the list as far as a "turnoff". there are many elements of our characteristics that we don't realize are obviating us from the escape of loneliness. can be appearance, facial expressions, lack of listening, habits, selfishness, lack of activity, interests, belief system, etc. by course, Jesus is #1 to look to to heal loneliness. i hope you are blessed with resolve aharp!