The martyrs

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Simona1988

Mar 15, 2021
The martyrs are persons worthy of remembrance and mention and yet, Christians scarcely think about them. It's such a shame!

Which is why, I want to start this thread for them.

I will start with the stoning of Saint Stephen. The speech he gave in front of the Sanhedrin can be read in Acts 7, I only give you his final words:

"You stiff-necked people! Your hearts and ears are still uncircumcised. You are just like your ancestors: You always resist the Holy Spirit! Was there ever a prophet your ancestors did not persecute? They even killed those who predicted the coming of the Righteous One. And now you have betrayed and murdered him - you who have received the law that was given through angels but have not obeyed it."

The Stoning of Stephen:

When the members of the Sanhedrin heard this, they were furious and gnashed their teeth at him. But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, looked up to heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. "Look", he said, "I see heaven open and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God".

At this, they covered their years and, yelling at the top of their voices, they all rushed at him, dragged him out of the city and began to stone him.

While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit". Then he fell on his knees and cry out "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." When he had said this, he fell asleep.

Simona1988

Mar 15, 2021
The martyrs played a key role in converting the Roman Empire to Christianity because their sacrifices bore witness of the TRUE LIVING GOD.
Martyr means witness and to convert means to convince. In the Greek Orthodox Church they are the pillars of the Church; they are painted on the pillars that sustain the church.

The martyr IS NOT a victim. A victim is someone who does not want to die, but has no other choice. The martyrs were given the choice to renounce Jesus. And, as you know, they refused to deny Jesus, instead, accepted to die for him and present their martyrdom as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God (Ephesians 5:2).

The Roman Rulers wanted to scare the civil by persecuting Christians; the message the civil were ought to perceive was "Look what happens to you if you confess that Jesus". But they, the rulers, not only did not achieve to scare them, they attracted the Pagan Youth to Christianity. Why? Because the persecutions were public and the martyrs would act...strangely, to say the least. They were not afraid when faced with horrible tortures. (like the ruler and anybody else would have expected)

Their attitude was bold, something like this "You may be the one holding the knife, but you have no power over me, because I am not afraid to die!" They would even thank their executioner, bless them, some would even joke (St. Lawrence, St. James Intercisus and others)

When you struggle with faith issues, remember these men and women (most of them youngsters), what crazy things they did...things that only a person who TRULY met God could do.

All sermon fades away in front of their sacrifices. Martyrs are my favorite people! If it weren't for them, I would probably not be a Christian.

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
Revelation 6:

9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: 10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth? 11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

The fifth seal martyrs - a worthy mention - and a worthy study...

:)

Mission21

Pathfinder
Mar 12, 2019
'The Blood of the Martyrs is the Seed of the Church'

Tertullian

Jan 12, 2019
The martyrs are persons worthy of remembrance and mention and yet, Christians scarcely think about them. It's such a shame!

I will start with the stoning of Saint Stephen. The speech he gave in front of the Sanhedrin can be read in Acts 7, I only give you his final words:

"You stiff-necked people! Your hearts and ears are still uncircumcised. You are just like your ancestors: You always resist the Holy Spirit! Was there ever a prophet your ancestors did not persecute? They even killed those who predicted the coming of the Righteous One. And now you have betrayed and murdered him - you who have received the law that was given through angels but have not obeyed it."

The Stoning of Stephen:

When the members of the Sanhedrin heard this, they were furious and gnashed their teeth at him. But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, looked up to heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. "Look", he said, "I see heaven open and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God".

At this, they covered their years and, yelling at the top of their voices, they all rushed at him, dragged him out of the city and began to stone him.

While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit". Then he fell on his knees and cry out "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." When he had said this, he fell asleep.

Oh, mid acts dispensationalists view what happened to Stephen in Acts 7 very seriously.

To them, it marked the fall of Israel and the salvation being available now to gentiles thru that fall.

Here is the typical pic we used to mark Acts 7

L

Live4Him

Two of my favorite movies are "God's Outlaw: The Story of William Tyndale" and "John Hus".

Both men were eventually burned at the stake for their uncompromising faith in Jesus Christ.

You can watch either movie for free at the links that I've provided below.

You might need to click where it says "Watch on YouTube" in the lower left corners of the videos to get them to play in your browser.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Revelation 6:

9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: 10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth? 11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

The fifth seal martyrs - a worthy mention - and a worthy study...

:)
indeed and they are part of the first resurrection reigning with Christ in his kingdom

“And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God,

and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands;

and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭20:4, 6‬ ‭

I think of men like Paul when he saved his execution the second time a hope is created in death for believers dying for the faith a resemblance and kinship with Gods children from Abel to Christ Paul was looking at his execution as an entrance into the kingdom in heaven

As he faced Nero the second time he had come to peace with his time of departing the flesh

“For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:

Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭4:6-8‬ ‭

Loved the op a great one for reflection

M

MoonCresta

The martyrs played a key role in converting the Roman Empire to Christianity because their sacrifices bore witness of the TRUE LIVING GOD.
Martyr means witness and to convert means to convince. In the Greek Orthodox Church they are the pillars of the Church; they are painted on the pillars that sustain the church.

The martyr IS NOT a victim. A victim is someone who does not want to die, but has no other choice. The martyrs were given the choice to renounce Jesus. And, as you know, they refused to deny Jesus, instead, accepted to die for him and present their martyrdom as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God (Ephesians 5:2).

The Roman Rulers wanted to scare the civil by persecuting Christians; the message the civil were ought to perceive was "Look what happens to you if you confess that Jesus". But they, the rulers, not only did not achieve to scare them, they attracted the Pagan Youth to Christianity. Why? Because the persecutions were public and the martyrs would act...strangely, to say the least. They were not afraid when faced with horrible tortures. (like the ruler and anybody else would have expected)

Their attitude was bold, something like this "You may be the one holding the knife, but you have no power over me, because I am not afraid to die!" They would even thank their executioner, bless them, some would even joke (St. Lawrence, St. James Intercisus and others)

When you struggle with faith issues, remember these men and women (most of them youngsters), what crazy things they did...things that only a person who TRULY met God could do.

All sermon fades away in front of their sacrifices. Martyrs are my favorite people! If it weren't for them, I would probably not be a Christian.

God bless you for remembering them. They are constantly in my mind. I was privileged to travel to what they call "the burn site" in Roen France. So holy. Truly an inspiration to us all. I hope to meet Joan and all of the martyrs in heaven.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020

The Stoning of Stephen:

I read an article about present days in the past decade it’s estimated by all credible sources that around half million Christian martyrs have died in the world directly because of thier faith I’m not positive the year but I think 2016 there were 90,000 in one year worldwide

We forget about places like the Congo , Africa , the Middle East , India , North Korea , China today and the persecutions currently happening in this world .

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Looking at history of the Waldenses and Donatists among other anabaptists is an interesting study for christian martyrs

B

Blackpowderduelist

I think it's great that you made this post for us to remember the martyrs of old, also let us not forget the martyrs of today. In north Africa, the middle east, and much of Asia, Christians are persecuted and killed for their faith.
These martyrs of all time are the "superheros" of our faith.

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
They conquered him
by the blood of the Lamb
and by the word of their testimony;
for they did not love their lives
to the point of death.
Rev 12:11