The mosaic law

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
So what about the sabbath day? Also do they come naturally or should we work at them even though we will never reach perfection?

I feel like even if we will never reach perfection that means there is always room for improvement and we should always strive to be better because why stop at a certain point when we have an infianant amount of potential? If we have an infianant gap between us and perfection then we have infianant potential right? Of course we will never reach perfection but we do have A LOT of room to grow and learn and isn't that one of the main parts of life? To learn and to grow in Christ? Not to stay stagnant in our faith?
The Sabbath we keep as we rest in Christ's finished work.
Yes, we are a work in progress until that Great and Glorious Day. :)

JFSurvivor

Jan 20, 2015
So to continue with my last post...

1 John 2:3-6
Revelation 14:12
1 John 3:21-24
Romans 13:8-10
John 15:10

So what commands is he talking about? If he is talking about "oh just love your neighbor" what about Hebrews 4:1-13? And what about the first greatest command to love God? How do we love God? We love him by obeying the first four commands including the sabbath day.

E

eternally-gratefull

So what commands is he talking about? If he is talking about "oh just love your neighbor" what about Hebrews 4:1-13? And what about the first greatest command to love God? How do we love God? We love him by obeying the first four commands including the sabbath day.
ok, Now I am confused.

We only love him by obeying the first four. Is it not much deeper than this?

if it is th eonly way we love God, then Can you obey the first 4 completely, for that matter, can you obey the first one completely.

Sep 4, 2012

We love GOD by believing his love for us. Only people in unbelief think following the law is the way to love GOD.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015

"And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us." (1 John 3:23 )

Hi JF,

Please understand that, regarding the keeping of the law, or anything that a person deems as a requirement for salvation, along side of what Christ did, then that person is in essence saying that Christ's sacrifice was insufficient, as though what he did on the cross wasn't enough. Now, a person can keep a specific day as holy to the Lord or every day as holy to the Lord, but it is when a person deems something as needing to be performed as a requirement that cancels out salvation as a free gift by grace through faith. For regarding this, Paul says that those who trust in the law for salvation have been alienated from Christ and have wandered away from grace.

All of those laws were fulfilled perfectly by Christ on our behalf and that because of our sinful nature we are not able to keep the law, as it brings wrath when we break it. The best way to not break the law, is to have no law to break. As believers of Christ we are keeping the law through him, because we are trusting him as the One who fulfilled it and by faith we are credited with righteousness. Below is a scriptural example that the Lord gave us as a warning of those who will be claiming to belong to him, but will actually have been trusting in their own efforts in order in enter into the kingdom of God:

"Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’ (Matt.7:21-22)

The will of the Father for us is to believe in his Son. When those who find out that they are not able to enter into the kingdom of God, the "Lord, Lord" shows panic at finding this out and then their very words give them away as to why they will not be entering in when they say "did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles." Notice the words "did we not," which demonstrates that they will have been counting on their own efforts to enter into the kingdom of God. Now here is Jesus response "I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!" This is what Jesus will say to all who come to him trying to enter in by their own efforts and that because by attempting to do so, they are not trusting in Him as the One who provided salvation for us. Trusting in Christ as the One who provided salvation for us is how we are saved and not by the keeping of the Law of Moses or by keeping Sabbath days, or by abstaining from certain foods or by any of our efforts.

"God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it."

The believers part is faith and faith alone for salvation. We receive salvation by having faith in Christ, apart from works. By Christ meeting the righteous requirements of the law he satisfied God's requirement regarding the law and freed us from the curse of the law, not that there is anything wrong with the law itself, for the law is holy and righteous. But because of our sinful nature the law kills us when we try to meet its requirements and so Christ fulfilled it on our behalf bringing it to its end and by doing so he also disarmed the powers of darkness, the law being their ammo against us.

In regards to good works, these come naturally because of the indwelling of the Spirit. But let us not endeavor to perform them for the purpose of obtaining salvation which we have already received by faith in Christ, but for the glorify God.

Last edited:
K

KennethC

You are on the right path, those two greatest commands given by Jesus to love, and, 1 John 3:23 does not override or void the other commandments.

Paul makes this clear in both Romans 3:31 and Romans 13:9-10.

The commandments (all) are established, upheld, and thus fulfilled by walking in LOVE !!!

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Matthew 22 (KJV)

36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015

Hello again FJ! I am just trying to give you as much help in understanding your concerns regarding salvation by grace through faith vs. the works of the law.

"The old way, with laws etched in stone, led to death, though it began with such glory that the people of Israel could not bear to look at Moses’ face. For his face shone with the glory of God, even though the brightness was already fading away. Shouldn’t we expect far greater glory under the new way, now that the Holy Spirit is giving life? If the old way, which brings condemnation, was glorious, how much more glorious is the new way, which makes us right with God! In fact, that first glory was not glorious at all compared with the overwhelming glory of the new way. So if the old way, which has been replaced, was glorious, how much more glorious is the new, which remains forever!"

Old way = The law given by God to Moses and the Israelites, including the ten commandments (tablets of stone)

New way = Faith in Christ apart from the observing the law of Moses

I hope this gives you a little more understanding regarding this issue.

eternallife7

May 19, 2015
Hello again FJ! I am just trying to give you as much help in understanding your concerns regarding salvation by grace through faith vs. the works of the law.

"The old way, with laws etched in stone, led to death, though it began with such glory that the people of Israel could not bear to look at Moses’ face. For his face shone with the glory of God, even though the brightness was already fading away. Shouldn’t we expect far greater glory under the new way, now that the Holy Spirit is giving life? If the old way, which brings condemnation, was glorious, how much more glorious is the new way, which makes us right with God! In fact, that first glory was not glorious at all compared with the overwhelming glory of the new way. So if the old way, which has been replaced, was glorious, how much more glorious is the new, which remains forever!"

Old way = The law given by God to Moses and the Israelites, including the ten commandments (tablets of stone)

New way = Faith in Christ apart from the observing the law of Moses

I hope this gives you a little more understanding regarding this issue.
Hey buddy do yourself a favor and camp out in the New Testament Greek for a couple of years and you'll see just how different God' s word for us really is than what it being portrayed by many preachers.

L

Laodicea

JF, you haven't yet read Exodus 34:27, have you? That's OK, a lot of people think God wrote the Ten Commandments. (Just finally start learning to actually go find out things for yourself.)
Exodus 34:27 KJV
(27) And the LORD said unto Moses, Write thou these words: for after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with thee and with Israel.

Exodus 34:1 KJV
(1) And the LORD said unto Moses, Hew thee two tables of stone like unto the first: and I will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables, which thou brakest.

According to these two verses God still wrote the ten commandments on stone while Moses wrote the other laws God gave him. Read Exodus 34 and you will see other laws given besides the ten commandments.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Hey buddy do yourself a favor and camp out in the New Testament Greek for a couple of years and you'll see just how different God' s word for us really is than what it being portrayed by many preachers.
Hi eternallife7,

Why would you assume that I wasn't already camped out in the Greek? I live in the Greek and Hebrew definitions of scripture. When I study, I have an NIV in front of me and on my computer I have an application that allows me to look at any given verse of scripture with all of the major translations for the same verse side by side. I am constantly looking up Hebrew and Greek meanings of the actual words used in the context for a deeper understanding of the words being used and cross referencing scriptures regarding relevant issues. I also read many scriptures using the Interlinear. Regarding preachers, I don't have any and haven't had any for many years. I do all of my own studies, which is how I arrive at my interpretations based solely on the word of God.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
(27) And the LORD said unto Moses, Write thou these words: for after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with thee and with Israel.

(1) And the LORD said unto Moses, Hew thee two tables of stone like unto the first: and I will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables, which thou brakest.

According to these two verses God still wrote the ten commandments on stone while Moses wrote the other laws God gave him. Read Exodus 34 and you will see other laws given besides the ten commandments.
Hello Laodicea,

And I would add the following to what you wrote:

"When the Lord finished speaking to Moses on Mount Sinai, he gave him the two tablets of the covenant law, the tablets of stone inscribed by the finger of God. (Exod.31:18)

"The LORD gave me two stone tablets inscribed by the finger of God. On them were all the commandments the LORD proclaimed to you on the mountain out of the fire, on the day of the assembly. (Deut.9:10)

Jul 27, 2011
We love GOD by believing his love for us. Only people in unbelief think following the law is the way to love GOD.

4 Furthermore then we beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more.
[SUP]2 [/SUP]For ye know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus.
[SUP]3 [/SUP]For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:
[SUP]4 [/SUP]That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;
[SUP]5 [/SUP]Not in the lust of concupiscence, even as the Gentiles which know not God:
[SUP]6 [/SUP]That no man go beyond and defraud his brother in any matter: because that the Lord is the avenger of all such, as we also have forewarned you and testified.
[SUP]7 [/SUP]For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness.
[SUP]8 [/SUP]He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us his holy Spirit.
[SUP]9 [/SUP]But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another.
[SUP]10 [/SUP]And indeed ye do it toward all the brethren which are in all Macedonia: but we beseech you, brethren, that ye increase more and more;
[SUP]11 [/SUP]And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;
[SUP]12 [/SUP]That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and that ye may have lack of nothing.
[SUP]13 [/SUP]But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.
[SUP]14 [/SUP]For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
[SUP]15 [/SUP]For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
[SUP]16 [/SUP]For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

[SUP]17 [/SUP]Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
[SUP]18 [/SUP]Wherefore comfort one another with these words. 1st Thessalonians 4

Oct 21, 2015

Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my disciples Isiaih 8:16

See, I lay a stone in Zion, a tested stone,
a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation;
the one who relies on it
will never be stricken with panic.
[SUP]17 [/SUP]I will make justice the measuring line
and righteousness the plumb-line;
hail will sweep away your refuge, the lie,
and water will overflow your hiding-place.
[SUP]18 [/SUP]Your covenant with death will be annulled;
your agreement with the realm of the dead will not stand. Isiaih 28:16-18

What was the covenant of death?

[SUP]7 [/SUP]Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory,(The Ten Commandments) so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, transitory though it was, [SUP]8 [/SUP]will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious?[SUP]9 [/SUP]If the ministry that brought condemnation was glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness! 2Cor3:7-9

He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. verse6

Last edited:

eternallife7

May 19, 2015
Hi eternallife7,

Why would you assume that I wasn't already camped out in the Greek? I live in the Greek and Hebrew definitions of scripture. When I study, I have an NIV in front of me and on my computer I have an application that allows me to look at any given verse of scripture with all of the major translations for the same verse side by side. I am constantly looking up Hebrew and Greek meanings of the actual words used in the context for a deeper understanding of the words being used and cross referencing scriptures regarding relevant issues. I also read many scriptures using the Interlinear. Regarding preachers, I don't have any and haven't had any for many years. I do all of my own studies, which is how I arrive at my interpretations based solely on the word of God.
I was just chatting with you I meant no harm.

Feb 7, 2015

We often have to be led by the hand, I guess. What does verse 28 (which directly follows 27) say? These were the second set of tablets that God had Moses fashion, and bring up the mountain to Him.

L

Laodicea

We often have to be led by the hand, I guess. What does verse 28 (which directly follows 27) say? These were the second set of tablets that God had Moses fashion, and bring up the mountain to Him.
*Exodus 34:28KJV*
And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

The question is in verse 28 is who is he that wrote on the tables of stone? We cannot interpret or assume anything of our own we must let the Bible speak. Exodus 34:1 says it was God who wrote on the tables of stone. To say it was Moses is to make it look like either the Bible contradicts itself or God is a liar and did not mean what He said in verse one.

If you say it was Moses you need to show other verses to prove it.

Sep 4, 2012
*Exodus 34:28KJV*
And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

The question is in verse 28 is who is he that wrote on the tables of stone? We cannot interpret or assume anything of our own we must let the Bible speak. Exodus 34:1 says it was God who wrote on the tables of stone. To say it was Moses is to make it look like either the Bible contradicts itself or God is a liar and did not mean what He said in verse one.

If you say it was Moses you need to show other verses to prove it.
OK. GOD wrote his law on stone tablets. That's great. I have something greater.

Last edited:

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012
You think Jesus didn't know what the ten commandments were? Do you? Sorry, I don't mean to be rude but that is the craziest thing I have ever read! I think Jesus had a pretty good understanding of the ten commandments. Take a look at Matthew 5, 6 and 7.
If one looks at my post, in context I implied that Jesus must not have known the 10 Commandments...

since the Churches represent that that the first Commandment was “
I am the LORD thy God” or “Thou shalt have no other gods before me” depending upon the denomination one subscribes to.

If it is written in Mark 12:29-30 "And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: 30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

Neither Exodus 20 or Deuteronomy 5 contain the commandment which Jesus cited as the 1st Commandment. Since the Churches base their 10 Commandments upon either Exodus 20 or Deuteronomy 5, then obviously Jesus must have been mistaken or else why don't you believe him?

Deuteronomy 6
[1] Now these are the commandments, the statutes, and the judgments, which the LORD your God commanded to teach you, that ye might do them in the land whither ye go to possess it:

[4] Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:
[5]And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
[6] And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:

[25] And it shall be our righteousness, if we observe to do all these commandments before the LORD our God, as he hath commanded us.

Last edited: