The Names of God

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ArchitectsDaughter

New member
Oct 12, 2024
11
5
3
specific Father-God...
Please help me? I'm stuck in confusion, or maybe just lack of information? But when I did a study on the different Names of God, Father-God didn't seem to appear in the Scriptures. However, a lot more people are addressing God as "Father God ". I do understand that God is Abba Father. Also our Heavenly Father. I am trying to understand where the terminology originated from.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Deuteronomy
specific Father-God...
Please help me? I'm stuck in confusion, or maybe just lack of information? But when I did a study on the different Names of God, Father-God didn't seem to appear in the Scriptures. However, a lot more people are addressing God as "Father God ". I do understand that God is Abba Father. Also our Heavenly Father. I am trying to understand where the terminology originated from.

The Lord's Prayer....
It is a model prayer designed by Jesus for the Apostles....meaning they were to use this prayer as a template for their prayers.
"Our Father"
Two words start this prayer....the first word being "our" which indicates it is something you do not do alone. "Father" meaning we are His children....something more intimate of a relationship than the distance between Heaven and Earth would imply. Yes, God is so much above us in every way imaginable....but He cares for us as any good father would love his children.
"Which art in Heaven"....meaning we are talking to the "God of the Universe".

So, people have contracted the words to a shorter form. Because we speak English....not Aramaic or Hebrew....English. more than one way to say the same thing.....but we have a noun based language instead of a verb based metaphoric language.
So the two are not going to mesh exactly seamlessly.
Beir-laha-roi.....the God who sees me
Jehovah Jireh....
ElShaddai
And all the other titles are descriptive titles of authority give credence to Jesus's words....
We, the believers, are the Bene Elohim....AKA: Sons of God.
John 1:12
 
  • Like
Reactions: ArchitectsDaughter
Hello @ArchitectsDaughter, I, like you, have not heard that particular terminology before, but from what I've seen online, most understand it to be synonymous with "Heavenly Father", "God the Father", etc.

For instance: How should I understand the concept of the Father God? | GotQuestions.org

Here's another article that, while not believing that there is anything inherently wrong with using "Father God", does believe that there are better/preferred (Biblical) choices that should be used instead. This article also says that the popular use of "Father God" (esp. as an opening to prayer) is a pretty recent thing in Christianity.


God bless you!!

~Deuteronomy (David)
 
  • Like
Reactions: ArchitectsDaughter
Hello @ArchitectsDaughter, I, like you, have not heard that particular terminology before, but from what I've seen online, most understand it to be synonymous with "Heavenly Father", "God the Father", etc.

For instance: How should I understand the concept of the Father God? | GotQuestions.org

Here's another article that, while not believing that there is anything inherently wrong with using "Father God", does believe that there are better/preferred (Biblical) choices that should be used instead. This article also says that the popular use of "Father God" (esp. as an opening to prayer) is a pretty recent thing in Christianity.


God bless you!!

~Deuteronomy (David)

I agree and would add that God is not concerned with whether we call Him Father or Daddy,
but rather that we call His Son Messiah and Lord, because that is saving faith,
which opens the door of our hearts to the HS (Rev. 3:20, Rom. 5:5).
 
  • Like
Reactions: ArchitectsDaughter
2022-05-06s.png

Who Jesus is...
Here is the text for the above panel, which gives many of the Names and titles for Jesus (but not all):

Advocate, Almighty, Alpha and Omega, Amen, Anointed, Apostle and High Priest, Arm of the Lord,
Author and Finisher of Our Faith, Author of Eternal Salvation, Beginning and End, Beginning and Ending,
Beginning of the Creation of God, Beloved, Beloved Son, Blessed and Only Potentate, Branch, Bread of God,
Bread of Life, Bridegroom, Bright and Morning Star, Brightness of His Glory, Captain of Salvation, Captain
of the Host of the Lord, Chief Cornerstone, Chief Shepherd, (the) Christ, Christ, Christ Jesus, Consolation
of Israel, Cornerstone, Counsellor, Creator, Creator of Israel, Dayspring from on High, Deliverer, Desire of the
Nations, Door of the Sheep, Elect of God, Emmanuel/Immanuel, Ensign of the People, Eternal King, Everlasting
Father, Everlasting Light, Faithful and True, Faithful and True Witness, Faithful Witness, First and Last, First
Begotten, Forerunner, Glory of the Lord, God, God of the Whole Earth, Good Shepherd, Governor, Great
Shepherd, Head of the Church, Heir of All Things, High Priest, Holy Child, Holy One, Holy One of God, Holy One
of Israel, Horn of Salvation, I AM, Image of God, Israel, Jesus Christ, Judge, Judge of Israel, Just One, King,
King of Israel, King of the Jews, King of kings, Lamb, Lamb of God, Last Adam, Lawgiver, Life, Light of
the World, Lion of the Tribe of Judah, Living Bread, Lord Jesus, Lord Jesus Christ, Lord of All, Lord of Glory,
Lord of lords, Lord of the Sabbath, Lord Our Righteousness, Man of Sorrows, Mediator, Messenger of the
Covenant, Messiah, Mighty God, Mighty One of Israel, Mighty One of Jacob, Nazarene, Offspring of David,
Only Begotten Son, Our Passover, Plant of Renown, Prince of Life, Prince of the Kings of the Earth, Prince
of Peace, Prophet, Righteous Judge, Redeemer, Resurrection and Life, Rock, Rock of Offence, Root of David,
Root of Jesse, Saviour, Seed of Woman, Shepherd, Shepherd and Bishop of Our Souls, Shepherd of Israel,
Shiloh, Son of the Blessed, Son of David, Son of God, Son of Man, Son of the Highest, Sun of Righteousness,
True Bread, True Light, True Vine, Truth, Way, Witness, Wonderful, Word, Word of God, Word of Life.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ArchitectsDaughter
https://www.rmsbibleengineering.com/Page3/Page3_11.html

In my search I found this article and tend to agree with the contents.
I understand that most likely most people use it as a combined Name of God and Father. However, sometimes I really feel very uncomfortable when people address God in that way. Any ideas, anyone?

Surely Mag gave you enough ideas about how to address God/Christ to last you for awhile!
Don't perseverate about inconsequential details; just address Him rather than ignore Him.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ArchitectsDaughter
specific Father-God...
Please help me? I'm stuck in confusion, or maybe just lack of information? But when I did a study on the different Names of God, Father-God didn't seem to appear in the Scriptures. However, a lot more people are addressing God as "Father God ". I do understand that God is Abba Father. Also our Heavenly Father. I am trying to understand where the terminology originated from.

God to me is creator of all, that has taken on many different names from peoples interpretations
No matter, God Father, Yeshuah, Yaweh, Adonai, Elohim, Allah.
Yes, many different names, creates confusion to people, wanting to know PaPa, Daddy, Father. As others try to be leader(s) when Son Jesus Yashuah is the only way, truth and new life offered to us all to choose to believe it or not, consciously so, in his risen Life, after his one time willing death took away all sin first on that cross, done over 2,000 years ago now, done, in his Daddy's, Father's PaPa's eyesight fro us to get given new life in his risen Life, and will get given to all that are sincere, as I see you are sincere, thank you.
Yet God, Allah, Adonai, God sees the motive, behind anyone, whether or not one or many are sincere in belief to this love and mercy of Son as risen has left us all to stand in or create our own path(s) and be liked and approved by others in the same flesh and blood we are each first born in. Time to turn to Daddy, and ask in trust, over time you will see and understand humbly., confidently. Love of God through Son has overcome evil John 16:33
I, see God's mercy and love is sufficient for everyone, at least for me. (2 Cor 12:7-10)
I, glory in my iniquities and thank God for this love, and am thankful I need God to live through me, not me anymore. Phil 3:1-20
Now, understand there are many that do not glory in their iniquities, these use iniquities for their own benefit here on earth, these accuse, excuse and abuse others in that process, (Which is dead works). I myself need God to lead not me and I need that daily for me. I see to not accuse, excuse or abuse anyone. At the same time I see to stand up against evil as well, when it is right there in front of me and will do so, angrily telling truth as Jesus did to those in his day to those that tried to get him to sin.
Call a spade a spade, do it righteously, not in flesh anger, in spirt anger given to you as in Ecclesiastes the book teaches you, thank you
Standing my ground, being, put up against the gates of Hell, and stand my ground, trusting God as in Matthew 10:16-20, Luke 21:14-15 to lead, not me, I am in process also