The One True God?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JesusMyOnly

Senior Member
Jun 30, 2014
880
15
0
I am not doubting God is there, I know He is and can never deny His existence . Even tho I am still learning a lot I always come back to God being there.


I'm just curious, how would you explain it to someone who asks "How do you know the God of the bible is the one true God"?

Some example bible verses you would use as well. :)
 
I could just babble on about how I perceive science as the fingerprint of Christ in our world, or how all other religions point to a God that requires "works" and being good enough while Christ well you know...but I feel this video does a better job! Ever Heard of Ravi Zacharias? He's a great apologetic and has very good speeches all over the web youtube is my place of choice...ironically so the speech/sermon he has is adequately named Jesus amongst other gods. It should shed some light on your thought process...we all have days when we're like am I crazy is God really there am I not wasting my time? I mean I do as apart from being righteous through Christ I am also 100% sinful human being. :) Best of luck sister myonly! oh and if this was the last post wins...well.........I WIN! :)

[video=youtube;Gbod4jPED3M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbod4jPED3M[/video]
 
Dr. Z is awesome!

JesusMyOnly said:
I'm just curious, how would you explain it to someone who asks "How do you know the God of the bible is the one true God"?

Some example bible verses you would use as well.
I don't know any more than anyone else knows, and to be blunt, I doubt Bible verses would convince someone asking that question if they are dubious in the first place. I simply want to love God. I maintain my faith not because an idea or a philosophy has been beaten into my head, but because I believe He is good and because He gives me hope.
 
Last edited:
Dr. Z is awesome!


I don't know any more than anyone else knows, and to be blunt, I doubt Bible verses would convince someone asking that question if they are dubious in the first place. I simply want to love God. I maintain my faith not because an idea or a philosophy has been beaten into my head, but because I believe He is good and because He gives me hope.

I hear ya. I know some people will reject just like the Pharisees did even with the proof right in front of them. Just curious on how if someone came to you seriously wanting to know. :)
 
One day I was reading John 14, and Jesus said, "Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves."

I have always had faith, but the above Scripture cemented it for me. Jesus performed miracles, and they were witnessed by many people. Added to that, I concur with Siberian_Khatru about love resonating and the hope that it brings.
 
I guess I have to revise my response myonly! If I had a laptop I'd show them the Ravi Zacharias video...if I was just asked I guess I'd say I feel it in my heart. I feel the Lord's presence...how do I know its him and not "shiva" or "zeus" or whoever, because this God is willing to accept me with all my flaws and imperfections he says Hey Moses my son died on the Cross so that through him you could come to me! I say thanks Lord I don't believe my good works would ever be enough to get to you! While all other faiths demand "works" and doing in order to be in right standing...God send Jesus so the "doing" was DONE by him and through him I am accepted and embraced as a Child of the Most High. Sounds like the only logical choice to me :)
 
I hear ya. I know some people will reject just like the Pharisees did even with the proof right in front of them. Just curious on how if someone came to you seriously wanting to know. :)
If you're interested in learning how to defend and/or reason your faith, then Ravi Zacharias (the guy in Mo's video there) is a good figure to model after. :)

In my opinion, the best way to respond to a question like the one you posed is with a question, just as Jesus so often did with his accusers.
 
the book of Daniyl.

When I deeply studied the book of Daniyl and found out what was within, I knew what the truth was. There was no longr ANY doubt, for the power of the prophecies in Daniyl is beyond fabrication. I have read nostradoamus and nostradomaus is a joke, so extremely vauge, his "prophecies" could be applied to anything. The prophecies in Daniyl have exact markers (years) and exact explanations, and they have and are coming true. The prophecies in Daniyl IMO are at least as amazing any prophecies ever made.
 
For me I had to have an experience kinda like Paul...a meeting with God and a contact with His Spirit that changed me forever... Now I believe if you ask God for this kind of thing...and seek Him in a sincere way, He will make Himself more and more real to you...But it may not be in a way where you can convince your friends...but you can be convinced in your own self.
 
Isaiah 46

1 Bel boweth down, Nebo stoopeth, their idols were upon the beasts, and upon the cattle: your carriages were heavy loaden; they are a burden to the weary beast. [SUP]
2
[/SUP]They stoop, they bow down together; they could not deliver the burden, but themselves are gone into captivity.
[SUP]3 [/SUP]Hearken unto me, O house of Jacob, and all the remnant of the house of Israel, which are borne by me from the belly, which are carried from the womb:
[SUP]4 [/SUP]And even to your old age I am he; and even to hoar hairs will I carry you: I have made, and I will bear; even I will carry, and will deliver you.
[SUP]5 [/SUP]To whom will ye liken me, and make me equal, and compare me, that we may be like?
[SUP]6 [/SUP]They lavish gold out of the bag, and weigh silver in the balance, and hire a goldsmith; and he maketh it a god: they fall down, yea, they worship.
[SUP]7 [/SUP]They bear him upon the shoulder, they carry him, and set him in his place, and he standeth; from his place shall he not remove: yea, one shall cry unto him, yet can he not answer, nor save him out of his trouble.
[SUP]8 [/SUP]Remember this, and shew yourselves men: bring it again to mind, O ye transgressors.
[SUP]9 [/SUP]Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,
[SUP]10 [/SUP]Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:
[SUP]11 [/SUP]Calling a ravenous bird from the east, the man that executeth my counsel from a far country: yea, I have spoken it, I will also bring it to pass; I have purposed it, I will also do it.
[SUP]12 [/SUP]Hearken unto me, ye stouthearted, that are far from righteousness:
[SUP]13 [/SUP]I bring near my righteousness; it shall not be far off, and my salvation shall not tarry: and I will place salvation in Zion for Israel my glory.
 
The integrity, continuity, not to mention prophecy of the Bible clearly shows an Author outside of time but to some there is no amount of empirical or anecdotal evidence that would convince them until they are drawn by the Holy Spirit. :)

Also, any personal account of something specific that the Lord has done for one...an answered prayer, a testimony

the bible says He chooses the foolishness of preaching but to those who Love Him it is glory.
 
I am not doubting God is there, I know He is and can never deny His existence . Even tho I am still learning a lot I always come back to God being there.


I'm just curious, how would you explain it to someone who asks "How do you know the God of the bible is the one true God"?

Some example bible verses you would use as well. :)
Just look around you at the beauty of the heavens, the majesty of the things God created.

The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Ps. 19:1

And the heavens shall declare his righteousness: for God is judge himself. Selah. Ps. 50:6

The heavens declare his righteousness, and all the people see his glory. Ps. 97:6

For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world can be clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse. Romans 1:20
 
I am not doubting God is there, I know He is and can never deny His existence . Even tho I am still learning a lot I always come back to God being there.


I'm just curious, how would you explain it to someone who asks "How do you know the God of the bible is the one true God"?

Some example bible verses you would use as well. :)
Hi, JesusMyOnly.

Well, seeing how I have John 17:3 listed as my favorite Bible verse in my profile and seeing how it directly pertains to your question, I'll cite it now:

"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3)

When Jesus prayed that we "might KNOW thee the only true God", He wasn't praying about just some sort of head "knowledge". No, rather, He was talking about an intimate sort of "knowing" as in the manner a man might "know" his wife. All throughout scripture, God's desired relationship with His people is likened to a marriage covenant where the Two/two become One/one. In a natural marriage, the two become "one flesh" (and it should go beyond that and touch the soul and spirit, too) and in our spiritual "marriage" or union to Christ our Bridegroom we are to become "one spirit" with the Lord:

"What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh. But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit." (I Corinthians 6:16-17)

Yes, God's desire is that we become "one spirit" with Him and Jesus therefore continued on to pray the following:

John chapter 17

[20] Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
[21] That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
[22] And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
[23] I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

This "oneness" or "knowing" has to do with "I in them" or "Christ in us". Yes, our bodies are to become the very temple of the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Christ, and in this manner, first and foremost, we are to "know" Him. Again, it's not just a head "knowledge", but rather one who was previously alienated from God being reconciled unto Him through Christ and indwelt by the Holy Spirit. If/when the Holy Spirit comes to dwell within an individual, they'll KNOW IT.

I hope this helps.
 
I'm just curious, how would you explain it to someone who asks "How do you know the God of the bible is the one true God"?

Some example bible verses you would use as well. :)

Well, at the moment my answer would be, it's a revelation that He is God by His mercy and not a logical conclusion.
If you want to know who God is, all you have to do is ask. <-- That's what I did.
 

We know who the one true God is because of the Bible. For faith comes by hearing and hearing the Word of God (Romans 10:17). In other words, people turn to the Lord by hearing the Word of God while under the conviction of the Holy Spirit; They are convicted to repent of their sins and to believe on Jesus Christ as their Savior.

While a believer does not need evidence and while most unbelievers are not convinced by facts that back up the Scriptures, it can be helpful for those who are seeking and looking for answers.
 
Last edited:
I am not doubting God is there, I know He is and can never deny His existence . Even tho I am still learning a lot I always come back to God being there.


I'm just curious, how would you explain it to someone who asks "How do you know the God of the bible is the one true God"?

Some example bible verses you would use as well. :)

Prophecy, no one can tell the future. When God gives prophecy and then brings it about hundreds of years later that is proof that the one giving the prophecy is God. One prophecy is Daniel's prophecy of the destruction of Jerusalem in Jesus' day.