The "others" crucified with Christ

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 31, 2024
How many were crucified with Christ?
______ 2 or
______ 4

Thoughts...?...

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
______ 2 or
______ 4

Thoughts...?...
Everyone who inherits eternal life. So according to Revelation 7:9 it's a multitude no man can number.
This probably isn't what you were looking for. I offer it for wider perspective.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
Everyone who inherits eternal life. So according to Revelation 7:9 it's a multitude no man can number.
This probably isn't what you were looking for. I offer it for wider perspective.
You understood what he said? :eek:
Can you translate it for me please?

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
Nevermind. I saw his other topic.
I'll go have some watermelon instead.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Don't be alarmed @Eli1 . Just get grapes or pineapple next time.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
______ 2 or
______ 4

Thoughts...?...
technically by faith anyone that gets baptized into his name for remission of sins is crucified with him

“Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. For he that is dead is freed from sin. Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭6:3-7, 11‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Literally The Bible says there was a criminal on either side so Jesus and two criminals or “malefactors “

but by faith anyone who believes Jesus does for thier sins and rose and gets baptized for remission of sins that’s what it’s about being crucified with Christ for our sins and being raised with him for his righteousness.

Dec 3, 2023
______ 2 or
______ 4

Thoughts...?...
In the biblical story, two people were crucified with Jesus at that time.One on Jesus' left.One is on the right side of Jesus.

If your question is about faith.
There will be many with Jesus.and many will take up their own cross.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
The OP Question:

______ 2 or
______ 4

Thoughts...?...

Assuming you are referring to the text of John 19:18... consider:

Berean Literal Bible
where they crucified Him and with Him two others on this side and on that side and Jesus in between.

Young's Literal Translation
where they crucified him and with him two others on this side and on that side and Jesus in the midst.

-- https://biblehub.com/text/john/19-18.htm

A few thoughts:

--I believe these two versions above reflect the actual Greek text best;

--there is no word "one" in this text;

--if there were 2 on either side (with which I am inclined to agree), this would explain the two verses further down in the text (the bolded portion), verses 32-33, where it says,

"32 Then came the soldiers, and brake the legs of the first, and of the other which was crucified with him. 33 But when they came to [epi G1909] Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they brake not his legs" - https://biblehub.com/text/john/19-33.htm

["But when they came to [epi G1909] Jesus"... sounds as though they were going in order, in a row, and when they came to Jesus [as third in a series of five persons total], instead of going on one side first, then circling past Jesus to go to the other side next, and then Jesus in the middle being last... which doesn't really seem to fit the text as well, where it says "But when they came to [epi G1909] Jesus"--why would it be phrased this way, or why would it be necessary for these words to be describing something which had them circling past Jesus [skipping over Him] to go secondly to the supposed one man clear on the other side of Him, and then back... it doesn't seem one would word it this way. That's how I'm seeing it.]

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
^ This might also account for the two distinct words used (in the various texts):

-- "thieves [G3027]" (Matt27:38, 44; Mk15:27...)

-- "criminals [G2557]" (Lk23:32, 33, 39...)

Dec 3, 2023
One of those men ("the good thief") must be the luckiest man ever lived.
The Gospel of Luke
23:41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.
23:42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

He confessed his sins,And put his trust in Jesus Christ.He is lucky,He is also a good example of understanding Jesus' teachings.

Romans
10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
10:11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
The OP Question:

______ 2 or
______ 4

Thoughts...?...

Assuming you are referring to the text of John 19:18... consider:

Berean Literal Bible
where they crucified Him and with Him two others on this side and on that side and Jesus in between.

Young's Literal Translation
where they crucified him and with him two others on this side and on that side and Jesus in the midst.

-- https://biblehub.com/text/john/19-18.htm

A few thoughts:

--I believe these two versions above reflect the actual Greek text best;

--there is no word "one" in this text;

--if there were 2 on either side (with which I am inclined to agree), this would explain the two verses further down in the text (the bolded portion), verses 32-33, where it says,

"32 Then came the soldiers, and brake the legs of the first, and of the other which was crucified with him. 33 But when they came to [epi G1909] Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they brake not his legs" - https://biblehub.com/text/john/19-33.htm

["But when they came to [epi G1909] Jesus"... sounds as though they were going in order, in a row, and when they came to Jesus [as third in a series of five persons total], instead of going on one side first, then circling past Jesus to go to the other side next, and then Jesus in the middle being last... which doesn't really seem to fit the text as well, where it says "But when they came to [epi G1909] Jesus"--why would it be phrased this way, or why would it be necessary for these words to be describing something which had them circling past Jesus [skipping over Him] to go secondly to the supposed one man clear on the other side of Him, and then back... it doesn't seem one would word it this way. That's how I'm seeing it.]
If you look at the other accounts of the gospel it clears it up

“And there were also two other, malefactors, led with him to be put to death. And when they were come to the place, which is called Calvary, there they crucified him, and the malefactors, one on the right hand, and the other on the left.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭23:32-33‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And with him they crucify two thieves; the one on his right hand, and the other on his left. And the scripture was fulfilled, which saith, And he was numbered with the transgressors.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭15:27-28‬ ‭

Then were there two thieves crucified with him, one on the right hand, and another on the left.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭27:38‬ ‭

whenever you see repetetive accounts repeating you have a witness

“This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.”
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭13:1‬ ‭

Luke

“they crucified him, and the malefactors, one on the right hand, and the other on the left.”

Mark

with him they crucify two thieves; the one on his right hand, and the other on his left.

matthew

Then were there two thieves crucified with him, one on the right hand, and another on the left.”

John

“where they crucified him, and two other with him, on either side one, and Jesus in the midst.”
‭‭John‬ ‭19:18‬ ‭KJV‬‬

It creates a vivid image doesnt it

Mar 31, 2024
In the biblical story, two people were crucified with Jesus at that time.One on Jesus' left.One is on the right side of Jesus.
In the Biblical story..... I believe there is a Biblical story, but the one we are being taught is full of errors. And it seems that people are good with that story for some reason. If the Bible is TRUTH, then there cannot be errors in the story. And in this story there seems to be a couple of big contradictions regarding the others crucified with Jesus.

#1) Two were led out with him and were crucified one on either side, luke 23:32, And there were also two other, malefactors, led with him to be put to death. 33) And WHEN they were come to the place, which is called Calvary, there they crucified him, and the malefactors, on on the right hand, and the other on the left." IOWs these 3 were all crucified at the same time.

But in Matthew 27 it says after they crucified him (v.35) they parted his garments, (36) they sat down and watched him, (37) they set up his accusation over his head, and "THEN (v38) were two thieves crucified with him, one on the right hand, and another on the left."

The question then becomes, if the others crucified with Jesus WERE THE SAME, if the thieves was just another name for the malefactors, WHEN WERE THEY CRUCIFIED? Were they led out with Jesus, or did they come out later after they put the accusation over Jesus?

#2) BOTH the THIEVES reviled Jesus, and they did this AFTER the accusation was put over Jesus' head [Matt.27:37,44, "The thieves also, which were crujcified with him, cast the same in his teeth."]. But only ONE of the MALEFACTORS reviled Jesus. [Luke 23:38-43]
HOW can the thieves and the malefactors be the same?

The Bible says God cannot lie [Titus 1:2], and God cannot contradict himself [James 3:17]. The Bible also tells us to "search the scriptures" [John 5:39] so that we may know if something is true or not [Acts 17:11].

How do you resolve these apparent contradictions? ... or maybe it just doesn't matter?

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
In the Biblical story..... I believe there is a Biblical story, but the one we are being taught is full of errors. And it seems that people are good with that story for some reason. If the Bible is TRUTH, then there cannot be errors in the story. And in this story there seems to be a couple of big contradictions regarding the others crucified with Jesus.

#1) Two were led out with him and were crucified one on either side, luke 23:32, And there were also two other, malefactors, led with him to be put to death. 33) And WHEN they were come to the place, which is called Calvary, there they crucified him, and the malefactors, on on the right hand, and the other on the left." IOWs these 3 were all crucified at the same time.

But in Matthew 27 it says after they crucified him (v.35) they parted his garments, (36) they sat down and watched him, (37) they set up his accusation over his head, and "THEN (v38) were two thieves crucified with him, one on the right hand, and another on the left."

The question then becomes, if the others crucified with Jesus WERE THE SAME, if the thieves was just another name for the malefactors, WHEN WERE THEY CRUCIFIED? Were they led out with Jesus, or did they come out later after they put the accusation over Jesus?

#2) BOTH the THIEVES reviled Jesus, and they did this AFTER the accusation was put over Jesus' head [Matt.27:37,44, "The thieves also, which were crujcified with him, cast the same in his teeth."]. But only ONE of the MALEFACTORS reviled Jesus. [Luke 23:38-43]

The Bible says God cannot lie [Titus 1:2], and God cannot contradict himself [James 3:17]. The Bible also tells us to "search the scriptures" [John 5:39] so that we may know if something is true or not [Acts 17:11].

How do you resolve these apparent contradictions? ... or maybe it just doesn't matter?
Can you pinpoint exactly where you see a contradiction? I'm having a little trouble seeing your point. Thanks.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
I was working on a post to bring up some similar points... glad to see you already put something along these same lines.

The only part I'm UNSURE of is the part I bolded ^ (as to "when" the two THIEVES reviled Him... b/c later down in the text--closer to v.44 where they "cast the same in his teeth"--Jesus "cried with a loud voice" yet).

If what you had worded said this instead...

#2) BOTH the THIEVES reviled Jesus, [... <snip> ...] [Matt.27:37,44, "The thieves also, which were crujcified with him, cast the same in his teeth."]. But only ONE of the MALEFACTORS reviled Jesus. [Luke 23:38-43]
... I can completely agree with this ^

(I am just unsure of the timing of the part you'd put, re: Matt27:37,35a... only because down further in vv.44 and 46,50 shows when Jesus died in relation to when they / "the thieves, also, which were crucified with him" "cast the same in his teeth" [re: the reviling and the mocking" vv.39-44])

As for @Pilgrimshope 's Post #13, I can see the picture in my mind just so:

--one thief on either side of Him [totaling 2];

--one malefactor on either side of Him [totaling 2 others];

--this is why John 19:18 can say, "where they crucified Him and with Him TWO others on this side and on that side and Jesus in between";

--this is why TWO thieves can revile Him, whereas only ONE malefactor does (because there were 4 persons, not only two, total... besides Jesus)--instead of one of them changing his mind [we are NEVER TOLD OF, btw] somewhere in the midst of all of this sequence of events.

That's how I'm seeing it, anyway.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I was working on a post to bring up some similar points... glad to see you already put something along these same lines.

The only part I'm UNSURE of is the part I bolded ^ (as to "when" the two THIEVES reviled Him... b/c later down in the text--closer to v.44 where they "cast the same in his teeth"--Jesus "cried with a loud voice" yet).

If what you had worded said this instead...

... I can completely agree with this ^

(I am just unsure of the timing of the part you'd put, re: Matt27:37,35a... only because down further in vv.44 and 46,50 shows when Jesus died in relation to when they / "the thieves, also, which were crucified with him" "cast the same in his teeth" [re: the reviling and the mocking" vv.39-44])

As for @Pilgrimshope 's Post #13, I can see the picture in my mind just so:

--one thief on either side of Him [totaling 2];

--one malefactor on either side of Him [totaling 2 others];

--this is why John 19:18 can say, "where they crucified Him and with Him TWO others on this side and on that side and Jesus in between";

--this is why TWO thieves can revile Him, whereas only ONE malefactor does (because there were 4 persons, not only two, total... besides Jesus)--instead of one of them changing his mind [we are NEVER TOLD OF, btw] somewhere in the midst of all of this sequence of events.

That's how I'm seeing it, anyway.
Yeah I guess we all do math differently

Mar 31, 2024
Why would there even be such a question. There were only two malefactors crucified with Christ.
It's a question because 2 reviled Jesus in one text, and only 1 reviled Jesus in another text.

...that's like you and me arguing over the score of the most recent ball game. We both agree on who won, but we disagree on the score. It would make one wonder if we had seen the same game. You might be talking about Wednesday's game while I might be talking about Tuesday's game. And then we have a good laugh after realizing all that. :) But after further discussion we finally get the story correct.

Plus, 2 were led out at the same time with him, and then in another text 2 were crucified LATER, after Jesus' accusation was put up over his head.
HOW can they be led out with him, and then be led out again later...unless...they were 2 different sets of 2; one set of 2 being malefactors, and the other set of 2 being thieves.?