The Parable of the Ten Virgins Explained

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 4, 2020
The Parable of the Ten Virgins
Matthew 25:1-13
1Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom. 2And five of them were wise, and five were foolish. 3They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them: 4But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. 5While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept. 6And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him. 7Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps. 8And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out. 9But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves. 10And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut. 11Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us. 12But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not. 13Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

The oil is forgiveness from God. The worthy sinner gives forgiveness to others, but people cannot give to others forgiveness from God. The Five Foolish Virgins (FFV) lost their oil (forgiveness) because they fell asleep (sinned) and wanted mercy from the Five Wise Virgins (FWV), but FWV could not give them mercy because only God gives mercy for sin.

The FWV said to the FFV, "go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves" which was a test. The FFV failed the test, rather than asking the Bridegroom (BG) for more oil and standing watch for His arrival, they left and went asking others for help. The test was to see their faith in the BG because the FFV were supposed to ask God for forgiveness from Heaven and not humans for forgiveness.

The reason the FWV were let into the marriage was because they did not fall asleep (sin) and they were waiting for the BG. The FFV should have waited for the BG to come to ask for more oil (forgiveness), but instead they went looking for forgiveness elsewhere. Mercy is a blessing from God and God will have mercy on repentant people.

The Parable of the Ten Virgins, in summary, is that Jesus will recognize forgiveness and sin. If you fall asleep then ask God for more oil. Don't go looking elsewhere for oil. Have faith in Jesus and keep watching for Him and ask forgiveness if you sin. Under no circumstances is someone supposed to stop watching for the BG or not confess their sin(s) to God.

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
It's commonly proposed that the five unwise girls were stupid for not
bringing along enough oil for their light sources. That may be true, but I
rather feel that their stupidity was scarcely related to the oil and mostly
related to abandoning their posts.

Had they stuck to their guns (so to speak) they could've joined the
procession along with everyone else. They may have endured a measure of
chagrin for letting their light sources go out, but at least they wouldn't miss
the party.

In other words; they let something relatively trivial distract their attention
from something far more important; sort of like Nero concerning himself
with trifles while Rome is on fire all 'round the city.

Matt 25:10-12 . . While they were on their way to buy the oil, the
bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the
wedding banquet. And the door was shut. Later the others also came. Sir!
Sir! --they said-- Open the door for us! But he replied: I tell you the truth, I
don't know you.

I suspect the bridegroom was unfamiliar with all ten of those girls: even the
five who held their ground. The thing is; while the entrance was open, the
general public was welcome to come on in and join the celebration, but once
the door was shut and festivities commenced, late arrivals were permitted
inside only if they were the bridegroom's friends; which emphasizes that the
invitation, though generous, offered a narrow window of opportunity which if
missed, was lost forever.
_

listenyoumustAll

Jul 22, 2021
1Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom. 2And five of them were wise, and five were foolish. 3They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them: 4But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. 5While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept. 6And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him. 7Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps. 8And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out. 9But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves. 10And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut. 11Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us. 12But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not. 13Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

The oil is forgiveness from God. The worthy sinner gives forgiveness to others, but people cannot give to others forgiveness from God. The Five Foolish Virgins (FFV) lost their oil (forgiveness) because they fell asleep (sinned) and wanted mercy from the Five Wise Virgins (FWV), but FWV could not give them mercy because only God gives mercy for sin.

The FWV said to the FFV, "go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves" which was a test. The FFV failed the test, rather than asking the Bridegroom (BG) for more oil and standing watch for His arrival, they left and went asking others for help. The test was to see their faith in the BG because the FFV were supposed to ask God for forgiveness from Heaven and not humans for forgiveness.

The reason the FWV were let into the marriage was because they did not fall asleep (sin) and they were waiting for the BG. The FFV should have waited for the BG to come to ask for more oil (forgiveness), but instead they went looking for forgiveness elsewhere. Mercy is a blessing from God and God will have mercy on repentant people.

The Parable of the Ten Virgins, in summary, is that Jesus will recognize forgiveness and sin. If you fall asleep then ask God for more oil. Don't go looking elsewhere for oil. Have faith in Jesus and keep watching for Him and ask forgiveness if you sin. Under no circumstances is someone supposed to stop watching for the BG or not confess their sin(s) to God.

My Brother ,God the father has left treasures not hidden from the believer .. And holy spirit reveals as he pleases . forgiveness is good. . when ever in the bible its stated the "kingdom of God is liken " we need to be aware its about a "mans' race to make heaven . oil in the word of God symbolises the anointing of the holy spirit .. Forgiveness is one of the many fruits of salvation .I thank God that my friend . This is what was revealed to me as I read the scripture. . fwv had a refill ,ffv didn't . fwv had the holy spirit with them to do a renewal .

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021

the party.

Sir! --they said-- Open the door for us! But he replied: I tell you the truth, I
don't know you.

_
In my opinion, this is about Circumcision of the Heart, the Core Doctrine of the entire Bible:

The five foolish virgins were “said” Christians. They Truly believed (in their hearts) that they were True Children of the Lord. We know this, for they were calling out to the Lord, that He would open His door to them. They were essentially speaking of how they felt they were in a right relationship with Him . . . though they were not. Why? It is because they were not taught the Truth, which is that of Spiritual Circumcision. They were not taught (by their false teachers) that they needed to Turn to Christ for the Lifting of the Sinful Nature.

Ultimately, their hearts were not Circumcised by Christ . . . this is what it means to be “known” by Christ.

Colossians 2:11, 13 NLT - 11 "When you came to Christ, you were "circumcised," but not by a physical procedure. Christ performed a spiritual circumcision--the cutting away of your sinful nature." ... 13 "You were dead because of your sins and because your sinful nature was not yet cut away. Then God made you alive with Christ, for he forgave all our sins."

Mar 4, 2020

the party.

don't know you.

_
Yes, absolutely. Really all they needed to do was just not leave, especially at such a critical hour when the cry was made that the bridegroom was coming. Like you said they would have gotten some chagrin, but not turned away.

I think this parable just boils down to a couple ingredients: forgiveness comes from God no matter what anyone says and we need to live like we know Jesus is coming back.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013

salvation cannot be bought or sold.
once the Groom returns, it is too late to seek it.
the foolish ones never had any oil to begin with, sought to take it from those who had, and then went out looking to buy it.

they never knew Him nor He, them - those who do not have, even what they have is taken from them.

O

Omegatime

This is my take on these 10 maidens. This is a bittersweet story that happens inside the tribulation and Israel is clearly in focus. The bridegroom coming is a reference to the resurrection. This is a reference to the jewish wedding analogy so often spoke about in the scriptures. Sleeping sometimes refers to the awaiting for the Lord after death of the body but not so in this story.. Salvation cannot be changed after death for all decisions are made while the flesh is alive in the body. There was no condemnation of the wise or the foolish for sleeping. (waiting)

It was custom in the days of Jesus that the bridemaids led the bride to the bridegroom's abode (in this case heaven), along with the entourage of the bridegroom. The bridegoom always tried to surprise the bride and always ccame afer dark, so lamps were needed.

The bridemaids represent Israel; God always intended for Israel to bring the gospel to the nations (gentiles), both jew and gentile alike.

“It is too light a thing that you should be my servant
to raise up the tribes of Jacob
and to restore the preserved of Israel;
I will give you as a light to the nations,
that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth.” Isaiah 49:6

Everyone was ready---both wise and foolish, but then a disaster--Bridegroom was delayed. Now no dealer would have been opened at night which leads me to believe a darkness has came over Israel. This is near the time when the antichrist is coming into power and because the bridegroom was delayed some sought another. The dealers are the disciples of the antichrist leading some to destruction. The oil they are selling is fuel for the lake of fire. The foolish are saying, "Is this the one we seek?" Is this the Messiah?

15 We looked for peace, but no good came,
for a time of healing, but behold, terror.
16 “The snorting of their horses is heard from Dan;
at the sound of the neighing of their stallions
the whole land quakes.
They come and devour the land and all that fills it,
the city and those who dwell in it. Jer 8

Hear the parable of the sower. When anyone hears the words of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches what is sown in their heart--

This leads us back to Luke 17--one will be taken and one will left

iTheophilus

Oct 28, 2021
I believe the “oil” in this parable represents Truth, and Truth is the Word of God. ….and without the leading of the Holy Spirit, there is no understanding of the Truth.

I’m sure we all agree that one of the most talked about subjects today is the end times and all the events that surround them. ….but there really is no reason for us to be overly worried or anxious about these days because Jesus foretold that we would have to wait patiently for Him. The seven seals are given to Jesus' followers in Mark 13, Matthew 24, and Luke 21, and they are also recounted in the Book of Revelation. They are the signs that this age is coming to an end. We will be foolish indeed "in that Day" if we do not understand these truths when there will be a hunger for the understanding and hearing of God's Word. It’s already happening!

Amos 8:11 "Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord:"

Aug 2, 2021
In my opinion, this is about Circumcision of the Heart, the Core Doctrine of the entire Bible:

The five foolish virgins were “said” Christians. They Truly believed (in their hearts) that they were True Children of the Lord. We know this, for they were calling out to the Lord, that He would open His door to them. They were essentially speaking of how they felt they were in a right relationship with Him . . . though they were not. Why? It is because they were not taught the Truth, which is that of Spiritual Circumcision. They were not taught (by their false teachers) that they needed to Turn to Christ for the Lifting of the Sinful Nature.

Ultimately, their hearts were not Circumcised by Christ . . . this is what it means to be “known” by Christ.

Colossians 2:11, 13 NLT - 11 "When you came to Christ, you were "circumcised," but not by a physical procedure. Christ performed a spiritual circumcision--the cutting away of your sinful nature." ... 13 "You were dead because of your sins and because your sinful nature was not yet cut away. Then God made you alive with Christ, for he forgave all our sins."
Circumcision of the heart is the New Birth = Born Again

Symbol of Oil is SomeOne Else

Aug 2, 2021
The Oil in Matthew 24:1-13 only pertains to the "Annointing" which is the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Read study and pray Gospel of John into your life - after that go directly to Acts and then to 1 Corinthians.

God has determined, beforehand, what we have need of = 5 Wise Virgins.

The 5 foolish virgins are those who rely on 'religion' to do the work that only the Holy Spirit is Authorized to do.

There is the call of God unto Salvation = the Gospel spoken by the Holy Spirit

And then there is the Baptism of the Holy Spirit - Two distinct Actions/Operations/Promises

Promise #1 - The Seed of the woman will crush the Serpents head

Promise #2 - "HE will baptize you with the Holy Spirit" - "wait for the Promise of the Father that you have heard from ME"

Aug 2, 2021

the party.

don't know you.

_
Your assumption that the five could of "stood their ground" and got in is incorrect for the LORD Himself declared it.

'Standing your ground' is religion. Religion is not accepted by God.

The LORD said to the five foolish = "I do not know you".

HE is saying something here that pertains to the marriage bed between a man and a woman.

O

Omegatime

Remember that the foolish believing maids were ready to go with the Lord but in the delay something caused them to lose faith.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
Circumcision of the heart is the New Birth = Born Again

Symbol of Oil is SomeOne Else
Thank you, DT. I'm definitely not a scholar, but one that is eager to share, learn and correct my beliefs that I discover to be in error. Thanks again!

Aug 2, 2021
Remember that the foolish believing maids were ready to go with the Lord but in the delay something caused them to lose faith.
Remember that the LORD said to the five foolish - "I DON'T KNOW YOU"

They were not filled with oil = the HOLY SPIRIT = Spirit of Truth = Comforter

What a COMFORT to know that Christ accepted you IN at His Coming.

Aug 2, 2021
Thank you, DT. I'm definitely not a scholar, but one that is eager to share, learn and correct my beliefs that I discover to be in error. Thanks again!
Forgive me if you thought i was saying you were in error - i was not - just giving more detail - that's all - PEACE

The Disciples - At what point did they experience their "circumcision of the heart" and were saved by it?

Before or After Christ rose from the grave?

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
The LORD said to the five foolish = "I do not know you".

HE is saying something here that pertains to the marriage bed between a man and a woman.
Sounds like you're just making that up. = )

The word "know" in this verse (Matt25:12) is "G1492 - oida / eido [perfect indicative]"... ("perfect tense" meaning "action completed at a specific point of time in past, with results continuing into the present")...

... same word used in Matthew 12:25 -

24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.

25 And Jesus knew [G1492 - perfect participle] their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand: 26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand? 27 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.

Note: Jesus is not coming TO "MARRY" the TEN VIRGINS [PLURAL] of this Matt25 context... nor even the FIVE VIRGINS [PLURAL].
This passage pertains to "the wedding FEAST / SUPPER" (v.10), aka the promised and prophesied earthly Millennial Kingdom age and their entrance (or non-entrance) into THAT... commencing upon His "RETURN" to the earth.

(See also Lk12:36-37,38,40 "when he will RETURN FROM the wedding"... THEN the meal [G347])

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
Forgive me if you thought i was saying you were in error - i was not - just giving more detail - that's all - PEACE

The Disciples - At what point did they experience their "circumcision of the heart" and were saved by it?

Before or After Christ rose from the grave?
It's all good. I don't mind being wrong about things. However, what WOULD bother me is if I knew that I was wrong, yet persisted in a wrongful position. I don't want to "be" right, but want to "get things right." Huge difference. :)

On to answer your question. And hang in there . . . it's a long read, but I think that it is WELL WORTH IT.

Based upon a few Bibilical passages, I would say that the Bible says that the Disciples received Circumcision of the heart before Christ had died. Jesus cast His Pearls upon them, just as He did for Joshua, Caleb, Abraham, etc. It seems fair to suggest that no person can be considered Pure, Righteous, and Holy if they remain under the Curse of the Lord. It would be fundamentally impossible to be Pure if Cursed.

I believe it is fair to say that the physical healings of all in the New Testament were not about their physical healing, but their Spiritual Healing, hence, those without Faith could not be healed. John chapter 9 should make this clear, as that chapter outlines physical healing, but then Christ explains what True Healing is all about.

John 9:39 NLT - "Then Jesus told him, "I entered this world to render judgment--to give sight to the blind and to show those who think they see that they are blind."

Many say that Christ came to earth to provide physical healing. The problem with that is that the death-rate is 1 per person. There is no guarantee of physical healing. I have cancer, but I do not expect Christ to heal me. I know, conclusively, that God is capable of healing me and it is something that I ask for, but the Lord's Grace is sufficient for me, just as it was for Paul. That Grace is Circumcision of the heart, the lifting of the Curse that was pronounced, or made clear by the Law.

The death of Christ is the capstone act that makes a person Right with God, though previously, a person would be Purified by Christ. My studies have determined that there are four basic but distinct Works of Christ. They are as follows:

1. Jesus Circumcises the heart of the Curse.
2. Jesus then grants the Ability to Repent.
3. Jesus then sends the Indwelling Holy Spirit who teaches and leads.
4. The final act is Christ on the Cross, applying the Curse upon Himself that was initially given to ourselves, and pays the debt for that Curse so that we, the ones who the Father had given to Him, would live in Eternity.

I think that it is fair to suggest that the first three Works of Christ were all given to those prior to the death and Resurrection of Christ. This would be to suggest that Christ is capable of Purifying anyone He chooses . . . and at ANY time. The dept is simply a debt that has nothing to do with Purity or corruption. Hence, our Patriarchs would wait in Paradise for the Resurrection of Christ so that they would "place their Faith" in Him. I haven't found any indication that any Patriarch found their way to Heaven prior to Christ, perhaps with the exception of Enoch.

Christ on the cross as described in Colossians 2:9-15 is the fulfillment of Old Testament passages like those in Ezekiel chapters 11, 36, and Deuteronomy 30:6:

Deuteronomy 30:6 NKJV - "And the LORD your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your descendants, to love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, that you may live."

Unless I am wildly misunderstanding Deut 30:6, we are dead until Circumcision of the Heart has been completed, and this is confirmed in Colossians 2:9-15.

Colossians 2:13-15 NLT - "You were dead because of your sins and because your sinful nature was not yet cut away. Then God made you alive with Christ, for he forgave all our sins. He canceled the record of the charges against us and took it away by nailing it to the cross. In this way, he disarmed the spiritual rulers and authorities. He shamed them publicly by his victory over them on the cross."

Because of this Spiritual Circumcision, and because Christ is in the Father, we are considered whole and complete, hence Colossians 2:9-10.

Colossians 2:9-10 NLT - "For in Christ lives all the fullness of God in a human body. 10 So you also are complete through your union with Christ, who is the head over every ruler and authority."

No one can be complete in Christ until we have received all four of the basic Works of Christ mentioned above. But for our Patriarches, they may have been blameless, Pure, Righteous, and Holy, but they were not yet made "complete," for Christ had yet to die.

So, the woman and her daughter, who appear to be Canaanite's, the daughter was able to be healed because of Faith, which is what cannot happen unless a person has been alleviated of the Curse of the Lord . . . the effect of Adam and Eve's unholy work. But Christ granted perhaps both the mother and daughter of the Curse, thus they were able to be healed; made Pure, Righteous, and Holy. However, they were yet to be completed in Christ, for He had yet to die.

Does this seem reasonable?