The Parable of the Ten Virgins Explained

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

BroTan

Sep 16, 2021
For us who are saved by the Grace of God thru the shed Blood of Christ, the law has been put to death when it was nailed to the cross.
There is no working for salvation, to do so would be working on the Sabbath and all who work on the Lord's Sabbath will be put to death = John 3:16-18

There are works that we are to walk in that have been prepared by God beforehand for us.

But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), 6and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
Just as you freely accepted Jesus in your life you can also freely choose to stop serving him. Jesus said with his own mouth; (Matt. 24:13) But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. That is until the end of your life, or until the Second Coming of the Lord.

Jesus warned us that the road to salvation is straight and narrow and that only a few of us will find it. Many are traveling down the wrong road, which leads to destruction. This is because many of us have heard about salvation but few of us want to do what is necessary to get salvation (many are called but few are chosen). (Matthew 7:13, 14) Many contend that Jesus did it all and now all we have to do is have faith. Nevertheless, in judgment each one of us will give account for our own salvation. Therefore, we must not let anyone lead us down the wrong path, but should verify all of our teaching with the holy bible. YOUR SALVATION IS AT STAKE! "...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling" (Philippians 2:12).

However, with all the various doctrines (teachings) it's hard to know which road to take. Many claim that it really doesn't matter saying, "you serve God your way and I'll serve God my way." Since the Lord is the author of eternal salvation we can only obtain it by serving him his way (Hebrews 5:9). A man asked Jesus this very question, "...What good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?", and Jesus replied, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. (Matthew 19:16-19).

Aug 2, 2021
Just as you freely accepted Jesus in your life you can also freely choose to stop serving him. Jesus said with his own mouth; (Matt. 24:13) But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. That is until the end of your life, or until the Second Coming of the Lord.

Jesus warned us that the road to salvation is straight and narrow and that only a few of us will find it. Many are traveling down the wrong road, which leads to destruction. This is because many of us have heard about salvation but few of us want to do what is necessary to get salvation (many are called but few are chosen). (Matthew 7:13, 14) Many contend that Jesus did it all and now all we have to do is have faith. Nevertheless, in judgment each one of us will give account for our own salvation. Therefore, we must not let anyone lead us down the wrong path, but should verify all of our teaching with the holy bible. YOUR SALVATION IS AT STAKE! "...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling" (Philippians 2:12).

However, with all the various doctrines (teachings) it's hard to know which road to take. Many claim that it really doesn't matter saying, "you serve God your way and I'll serve God my way." Since the Lord is the author of eternal salvation we can only obtain it by serving him his way (Hebrews 5:9). A man asked Jesus this very question, "...What good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?", and Jesus replied, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. (Matthew 19:16-19).
You say some excellent and TRUE things here Brother - just stay away from trying to sneak in a works based salvation which you have.

God made this very CLEAR to those under Moses - Exodus 31:15
For six days work is to be done, but the seventh day is a day of sabbath rest, holy to the LORD.
Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day is to be put to death.

This death penalty for working on the LORD's Sabbath has not been annulled.

With that said: i work on Saturdays and on Sundays.

PEACE

Jul 23, 2018
Best reasons why the oil is the not the Holy Spirit in the parable of the ten virgins:

1. Jesus doesn't use parables of known sins to exemplify wisdom and righteousness. Trying to buy the Holy Spirit, per Acts 8:18-23, is a sin.

2. The Holy Spirit is God and is infinite. God's Holy Spirit doesn't decrease like oil in a lamp and then need to be refilled.

3. There are no Biblical examples of needing to continually refill your Holy Spirit to be prepared for Jesus to come. This teaching exists no where in scripture.

4. Ephesians 1:13-14 say that believers are stamped with the seal of the Holy Spirit, a promise of salvation and guarantee.of an inheritance. Making the oil the Holy Spirit that can be lost results in a broken promise/guarantee in Ephesians 1:13-14, but God cannot lie.
Yeah who woulda thought the Holy Spirit would be the fuel and power for illumination?

The Holy Spirit in your book is some abstract force that Jesus over reached and no longer needed for the modern church huh?

Nothing to do with illumination or the vessels representing humans.
It has to be faith or truth represented in the oil.

Here is your own mental assent applied to your own methods;

During the night, they ran out of faith and truth
So they asked the wise for some of theirs.
So the evil wise virgins told them to go buy faith and truth.
How evil to think they could buy faith and truth.

Just pure silliness trying to make oil into anything but the Holy Spirit.

But keep trying

Jul 23, 2018
Best reasons why the oil is the not the Holy Spirit in the parable of the ten virgins:

1. Jesus doesn't use parables of known sins to exemplify wisdom and righteousness. Trying to buy the Holy Spirit, per Acts 8:18-23, is a sin.

2. The Holy Spirit is God and is infinite. God's Holy Spirit doesn't decrease like oil in a lamp and then need to be refilled.

3. There are no Biblical examples of needing to continually refill your Holy Spirit to be prepared for Jesus to come. This teaching exists no where in scripture.

4. Ephesians 1:13-14 say that believers are stamped with the seal of the Holy Spirit, a promise of salvation and guarantee.of an inheritance. Making the oil the Holy Spirit that can be lost results in a broken promise/guarantee in Ephesians 1:13-14, but God cannot lie.
"""1. Jesus doesn't use parables of known sins to exemplify wisdom and righteousness. Trying to buy the Holy Spirit, per Acts 8:18-23, is a sin"""

" buy" is figurative. As is lamps, oil, virgin, vessels, and " them that sell"

But you NEED IT TO BE LITERAL to corrupt the story.

Ok lets make it literal. Just for you...lets change the bible.
Now you have the wise telling the foolish to go buy faith and truth.
You also have faith and truth sellers. Selling faith and truth for money.
So it is you that has Jesus telling a story leading into sin.

Psssst.......try this on;

rev 3
17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

Imagine that. How evil of Jesus to tell his children to buy gold in order to get right with God.
The moneychangers did exactly that

Oh wait...you dont suppose " buy " is used figuratively.

You know..kinda like eyesalve, white rainment, lamps, vessels, virgins, etc.

Or do you want those items literal also?

Have you looked up the definition of " parable"?

Mar 4, 2020
Yeah who woulda thought the Holy Spirit would be the fuel and power for illumination?

The Holy Spirit in your book is some abstract force that Jesus over reached and no longer needed for the modern church huh?

Nothing to do with illumination or the vessels representing humans.
It has to be faith or truth represented in the oil.

Here is your own mental assent applied to your own methods;

During the night, they ran out of faith and truth
So they asked the wise for some of theirs.
So the evil wise virgins told them to go buy faith and truth.
How evil to think they could buy faith and truth.

Just pure silliness trying to make oil into anything but the Holy Spirit.

But keep trying
Those seem more like accusations to try to discredit me for writing what I did rather than rebuttals. Got any scripture?

Mar 4, 2020
"""1. Jesus doesn't use parables of known sins to exemplify wisdom and righteousness. Trying to buy the Holy Spirit, per Acts 8:18-23, is a sin"""

" buy" is figurative. As is lamps, oil, virgin, vessels, and " them that sell"

But you NEED IT TO BE LITERAL to corrupt the story.

Ok lets make it literal. Just for you...lets change the bible.
Now you have the wise telling the foolish to go buy faith and truth.
You also have faith and truth sellers. Selling faith and truth for money.
So it is you that has Jesus telling a story leading into sin.

Psssst.......try this on;

rev 3
17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

Imagine that. How evil of Jesus to tell his children to buy gold in order to get right with God.
The moneychangers did exactly that

Oh wait...you dont suppose " buy " is used figuratively.

You know..kinda like eyesalve, white rainment, lamps, vessels, virgins, etc.

Or do you want those items literal also?

Have you looked up the definition of " parable"?
Yes, "buy" is used figuratively. I don't think Jesus would use figurative examples of buying oil that, in your book, symbolizes the Holy Spirit. As we already covered, buying the Holy Spirit is a sin. Jesus knows all things so the oil in this parable means something else other than the Holy Spirit.

If you can just prove that the oil definitely represents the Holy Spirit using some kind of verse that says "oil always represents the Holy Spirit" I will gladly reassess my interpretation. I have not seen this verse, yet, if it even exists.

Jul 23, 2018
Those seem more like accusations to try to discredit me for writing what I did rather than rebuttals. Got any scripture?
If you do not read my post.....then you have some point i guess

I clearly laid out the folly in making metaphors intended to illustrate ,into literal rabbit trails of changed meaning.

Jul 23, 2018
Yes, "buy" is used figuratively. I don't think Jesus would use figurative examples of buying oil that, in your book, symbolizes the Holy Spirit. As we already covered, buying the Holy Spirit is a sin. Jesus knows all things so the oil in this parable means something else other than the Holy Spirit.

If you can just prove that the oil definitely represents the Holy Spirit using some kind of verse that says "oil always represents the Holy Spirit" I will gladly reassess my interpretation. I have not seen this verse, yet, if it even exists.
You didnt read what i said.

I played out your deal and you are oblivious.

The foolish (in your model) are INCORRECTLY ( according to your interpretation) told to go buy faith, truth, or whatever you say they LITERRALLY PURCHASE.
Then they LITTRRALLY PURCHASE With money ,faith or truth or whatever you guys need oil to represent.

Oh the irony.
Just plain bizarre that in this quest to make oil anything but what it is VIVIDLY PORTRAYED, ...you make the parable into a money purchase of the things of heaven.

Can love, in your new bible also be purchased with money?

Why change the parable?

Then ignore and dodge rev 3 where Jesus again used "BUY" figuratively

IOW ...No matter what you come up with to insert for " oil", you now have, in your new bible ,components from heaven purchased with money.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
What is the difference between the parable of the 5wv and 5fv and the parable of the tares sown with the wheat?

Is it not explaining the same event??

There is a key ingredient that makes the 5 virgins wise and a lack that makes the other 5 foolish.

This ingredient is from God. The Holy Spirit makes the most sense. But you could probably replace it with many other blessings from God, such as Righteousness, Circumcision of the Heart, Wisdom and Revelation in the Knowledge of Christ, where you must receive these Gifts from God because they are not available anywhere else.

Aug 2, 2021
What is the difference between the parable of the 5wv and 5fv and the parable of the tares sown with the wheat?

There is a key ingredient that makes the 5 virgins wise and a lack that makes the other 5 foolish.

This ingredient is from God. The Holy Spirit makes the most sense. But you could probably replace it with many other blessings from God, such as Righteousness, Circumcision of the Heart, Wisdom and Revelation in the Knowledge of Christ, where you must receive these Gifts from God because they are not available anywhere else.
And all the Gifts from God were purchased by the Son with His Blood and distributed/enacted/empowered by the Holy Spirit.

Thus the symbolic OIL - the Holy Spirit

Not by might, nor by power but by My Spirit says the Lord.

Mar 25, 2020
The Parable of the Ten Virgins
Matthew 25:1-13
1Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom. 2And five of them were wise, and five were foolish. 3They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them: 4But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. 5While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept. 6And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him. 7Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps. 8And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out. 9But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves. 10And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut. 11Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us. 12But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not. 13Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

The oil is forgiveness from God. The worthy sinner gives forgiveness to others, but people cannot give to others forgiveness from God. The Five Foolish Virgins (FFV) lost their oil (forgiveness) because they fell asleep (sinned) and wanted mercy from the Five Wise Virgins (FWV), but FWV could not give them mercy because only God gives mercy for sin.

The FWV said to the FFV, "go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves" which was a test. The FFV failed the test, rather than asking the Bridegroom (BG) for more oil and standing watch for His arrival, they left and went asking others for help. The test was to see their faith in the BG because the FFV were supposed to ask God for forgiveness from Heaven and not humans for forgiveness.

The reason the FWV were let into the marriage was because they did not fall asleep (sin) and they were waiting for the BG. The FFV should have waited for the BG to come to ask for more oil (forgiveness), but instead they went looking for forgiveness elsewhere. Mercy is a blessing from God and God will have mercy on repentant people.

The Parable of the Ten Virgins, in summary, is that Jesus will recognize forgiveness and sin. If you fall asleep then ask God for more oil. Don't go looking elsewhere for oil. Have faith in Jesus and keep watching for Him and ask forgiveness if you sin. Under no circumstances is someone supposed to stop watching for the BG or not confess their sin(s) to God.
Rabbi Yashuah Moshiach of Nazareth is a Jew who by the grace of the Father was raised in Judaism. The NT is written by Jews for Jews not Christians!" I came to the house of Israel!"
The lamp is obviously The Menorah whose oil is Hebrew Torah and the Law of Moses!

The five unwise lack Hebrew Torah and the Law of Moses like your selves they reject Hebrew Torah!
Have you never understood Matt 7 I never knew you says Rabbi Yashuah to you Christians lacking the Law of Moses which you reject without even knowing what it teaches?
He says you are workers of iniquity or lawless in Greek. Without the law of Moses.
John 18:20
Jesus answered him, I spake openly to the world; I ever taught in the synagogue, and in the temple, whither the Jews always resort; and in secret have I said nothing.

Can you not understand that He is a Rabbi who teaches Hebrew Torah and the Law of Moses!
Rabbi Yashuah Moshiach of Nazareth speaks Hebrew, not English!
Yahweh speaks Hebrew, not English.
Elohim the Mighty Angels speak, read, write in Hebrew, not English!
All Christians are rejected at the judgment seat for iniquity or lawlessness for rejecting The Law of Moses!
Matt 7
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity! in Greek lawlessness

We know they are Christians because no one Jews do not preach in Jesus Name like your group does!

Shalom

Mar 4, 2020

I see. I just can't see that even though many people seem to insist the oil is the Holy Spirit. I even went through the effort to produce a solid foundation for why the oil is not the Holy Spirit in a previous post. Others have attempted to explain their position, but I still don't see it. Do you have any scripture to support your interpretation?

Mar 4, 2020
Rabbi Yashuah Moshiach of Nazareth is a Jew who by the grace of the Father was raised in Judaism. The NT is written by Jews for Jews not Christians!" I came to the house of Israel!"
The lamp is obviously The Menorah whose oil is Hebrew Torah and the Law of Moses!

The five unwise lack Hebrew Torah and the Law of Moses like your selves they reject Hebrew Torah!
Have you never understood Matt 7 I never knew you says Rabbi Yashuah to you Christians lacking the Law of Moses which you reject without even knowing what it teaches?
He says you are workers of iniquity or lawless in Greek. Without the law of Moses.
Jesus answered him, I spake openly to the world; I ever taught in the synagogue, and in the temple, whither the Jews always resort; and in secret have I said nothing.

Can you not understand that He is a Rabbi who teaches Hebrew Torah and the Law of Moses!
All Christians are rejected at the judgment seat for iniquity or lawlessness for rejecting The Law of Moses!
Matt 7
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity! in Greek lawlessness

We know they are Christians because no one Jews do not preach in Jesus Name like your group does!

Shalom
You just sound hateful toward non-Jewish people. Did you realize that this is a Christian forum? You're just trying to hurt people.

On top of that, your theology is way off. I'm not even going to engage it. You'll undoubtedly just begin an endless debate with anyone who tells you differently.

Jul 23, 2018
What is he doing on a Christian site????

I wonder if Roman's is in Hebrew for him to ponder.?

Aug 2, 2021
What is he doing on a Christian site????

I wonder if Roman's is in Hebrew for him to ponder.?
"Rabbi Yashuah Moshiach of Nazareth is a Jew who by the grace of the Father was raised in Judaism"

This was funny = "by the grace of the Father was raised in Judaism."

Aug 2, 2021

Matt 7

Shalom
Do you know who the Word is???

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.

And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,
full of grace and truth.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011

Matt 7

Shalom
Workers of iniquity.

Workers.

Galatians 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

Workers of iniquity are not those who AREN'T working at the law. It is those who ARE working at the law.

Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Rest from what? From working at Moses Law. From being a worker of iniquity. From being lawless.

Just because a person works at the law it doesn't make them a law abiding citizen. Just because a person THINKS they are law abiding doesn't mean they are.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
I see. I just can't see that even though many people seem to insist the oil is the Holy Spirit. I even went through the effort to produce a solid foundation for why the oil is not the Holy Spirit in a previous post. Others have attempted to explain their position, but I still don't see it. Do you have any scripture to support your interpretation?
I don't think there is any way to assert, as fact, what certain things in a parable represent unless they are spelled out.

Oil being the Holy Spirit makes the most sense to me.

Especially when the Lord says I do not know you.

Also the lamp being a light.

Matthew 5:14-16
14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Mar 4, 2020
I don't think there is any way to assert, as fact, what certain things in a parable represent unless they are spelled out.

Oil being the Holy Spirit makes the most sense to me.

Especially when the Lord says I do not know you.

Also the lamp being a light.

Matthew 5:14-16
14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
I'm still not convinced because it isn't the Holy Spirit that qualifies someone as having been known by Jesus, but it is those who do the will of His Father in heaven. The key is this verse "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.":

Matthew 7:21-23
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

1. Prophesied in His name
1 Corinthians 12:8-11 8For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
Prophecy is a gift of the Holy Spirit. Only people with the Holy Spirit can receive the gift of prophecy. How did Jesus never know them?

2. Cast out devils in His name
Matthew 12:28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.
Jesus said that He casts out devils by the power of the Holy Spirit. So the power of the Holy Spirit is how the disciples would have cast out demons too. How does this parable conclude that those with the Holy Spirit were never known?

3. Did many wonderful works in His name
Philippians 2:3 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
Even though it is God that works in people to will and do His good pleasure, doing those "many wonderful works" can result in Him never having known us?

Conclusion: if the oil is the Holy Spirit then scripture proves that having the Holy Spirit is not what makes someone known by Jesus or allowed entrance into the "wedding." What allows someone entrance into the wedding is doing the will of the bridegroom. What I am saying is that even if the oil is the Holy Spirit (it's not) then it wouldn't have helped them get into the wedding.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
I'm still not convinced because it isn't the Holy Spirit that qualifies someone as having been known by Jesus, but it is those who do the will of His Father in heaven. The key is this verse "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.":

Matthew 7:21-23
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

1. Prophesied in His name
1 Corinthians 12:8-11 8For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
Prophecy is a gift of the Holy Spirit. Only people with the Holy Spirit can receive the gift of prophecy. How did Jesus never know them?

2. Cast out devils in His name
Matthew 12:28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.
Jesus said that He casts out devils by the power of the Holy Spirit. So the power of the Holy Spirit is how the disciples would have cast out demons too. How does this parable conclude that those with the Holy Spirit were never known?

3. Did many wonderful works in His name
Philippians 2:3 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
Even though it is God that works in people to will and do His good pleasure, doing those "many wonderful works" can result in Him never having known us?

Conclusion: if the oil is the Holy Spirit then scripture proves that having the Holy Spirit is not what makes someone known by Jesus or allowed entrance into the "wedding." What allows someone entrance into the wedding is doing the will of the bridegroom. What I am saying is that even if the oil is the Holy Spirit (it's not) then it wouldn't have helped them get into the wedding.
Your misunderstanding comes from not knowing how the will of the Father is done.

Ezekiel 36:27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

The only way to do the will of the Father is to be given the Holy Spirit and caused to do His Will.