The Pig Barn

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

hoss2576

Senior Member
May 10, 2014
552
23
18
As a high school student, I learned my greatest lesson on what it means to give your all when reaching for the top. It was my sophomore year, and I was working at my school’s agriculture barn. I had two hogs that I wanted to show in the fair that year, and it was my turn to clean the barn.

I was in one of the pigpens cleaning when my high school agriculture teacher walked in. It was obvious that he had just come from or was going somewhere important by the way he was dressed. He came out because the barn door was open. He watched me clean for a few minutes, and then did something that I never expected. He jumped into the pigpen and grabbed the shovel that I had been using. I just stood there as I watched him clean the pen. It is an uncommon thing to see a man who is wearing a tie, slacks, and dress shoes cleaning a pigpen. Within two minutes my agriculture teacher had it completely cleaned. He then handed me the shovel and looked at me straight in the eyes and said, “Whether you are cleaning out a pig pen or vying for a championship, put all you have into it!”


I had never really thought that it mattered whether or not I cleaned a pigpen aggressively or not, but I realized that my agriculture teacher was right. It is a matter of style and substance. When we do our best in front of people, we are trying to make a good impression. We all strive to impress the people around us, but when we do our best when people are not watching; we are showing ourselves how we are truly made. This also holds true in our christian walk. There are times when we are called to christian service in ways that don't seem glamorous; cleaning a church, putting up flyers, or maybe just washing dishes. It is during these times, we must remember, these activities aren't for our glory but His.
 
And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;

Colossians 3:23 is one of my favorite verses, and I really liked reading this blog post. Thank you for typing it :).
 
Thank you for sharing this beautiful story! This reminds me back home as I used to help clean our church, wash the dishes on Sundays (as we serve lunch after the worship service), distribute flyers for our DVBS and the like. Oh, how I miss those days!