The Purpose of Speaking in Tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 28, 2016
I did not you were a new sect of Pentecostal? why is your denominational name ? I know Cursocostel. Sad that you would suggest that the Holy Spirit has nothing to do with what Christian have asked God for.
What is a new sect of Pentecostal? And also Cursocostel? How would that have something to do with what Christians asks for?

Jul 23, 2018
I was reared in a church that taught "speaking in tongues" and never believed it, although I believe it was necessary in Acts, etc. I saw and heard people doing it but I am sure it was fake. They used their "tongues" as a toy and a matter of pride.

One person, while she says she is no longer a believer, says that she can still "speak in tongues," having fun with it. I don't say anything because I told her I would not argue with her.

To keep it honest, I did have one incident a while before being kicked out of that church, but when I remember, I want to go wash my mouth out. It is a horrible memory.
Your deal is counterfeit centered.

The devil is a mimicker.
There is fake everything....including salvation.

Most people do not "press in" until the Holy Spirit comes in power and manifestation.

You can not be lead by feeling and discern much of anything.

Once in His MANIFEST presence(the power and weightiness of his presence so heavy it literally weights you down) everything changes.
It is a different level with God.

In that realm discernment is pure. Tongues pour out, faith is awesome,and people get set free. It is a sweet spot in God.
It is entering the Holy of Holies.

Jul 23, 2018

The devil is a mimicker.

Most people do not "press in" until the Holy Spirit comes in power and manifestation.

Once in His MANIFEST presence(the power and weightiness of his presence so heavy it literally weights you down) everything changes.

In that realm discernment is pure. Tongues pour out, faith is awesome,and people get set free. It is a sweet spot in God.
This realm is what I first encountered when I recieved the Baptism in the Holy Spirit.

Now remember they "PRESSED IN " FOR 50 DAYS.

I remember pressing in for about the same time and just thought "maybe it ain't for me"
Then one day the Lord spoke to me "today you will recieve the baptism in the Holy Spirit"

The pastor prayed and ...Nothing...NOTHING HAPPENED.

...but thank God for some Holy Ghost women standing outside the church.

They heard me saying it was a dud to my friends.

Theys said "you come with us"

They marched me back in and called down heaven.

All I can say is
Wow,wow,wow,wow!!!!!

Marge and dora.
Never will forget it.

Mar 28, 2016

The devil is a mimicker.

Did you look at the foundation of tongues prophecy of God? (Isaiah 28)

Entering the Holy of Holies the place wondering, marveling, Ecstasy. . . . beyond words to babbling?

The old testament law is revisited in the new. Yet for al of that certain men still rejected prophecy in any tongue to include their own (unbelieving mankind)

In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. Wherefore tongues (prophecy) are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.1 Corinthians 14:21-22

I would think a person would have to close their eyes plug up their ears and wonder to not understand the sign is not for those who believe the tongue of God prophecy . but those who love the oral tradition of wondering.

Jesus said marvel not . . ..but rather believe prophecy, our new tongue the gospel .

Stammering lips or mocking lips. God bringing prophecy as the tongue of God to all the nations. Previously to the Hebrew . Mocking those who mock the spirit of judgment falling back slain in the spirit . They refuse all prophecy to include Hebrew when it comes to seeking after unknown wonderments as lies. holding on the their oral tradition of lying wonderments. Yet for all that they still refuse to hear prophecy the tongue of God. Our new tongue the gospel

The people say, “Who does he think he is trying to teach and explain his message to? Does he think we are babies who were at their mother’s breast only a very short time ago? He speaks to us as though we were babies:Saw lasaw saw lasawQaw laqaw qaw laqawZe’er sham ze’er sham.” So God will use this strange way of talking, and he will use other languages to speak to these people. In the past he spoke to them and said, “Here is a resting place. Let those who are tired come and rest. This is the place of peace.”But they would not listen to him. So the Lord’s words will be senseless sounds to them:“Saw lasaw saw lasaw.Qaw laqaw qaw laqaw.Ze’er sham ze’er sham.”When the people try to walk, they will fall backwards. They will be defeated, trapped, and captured.You leaders in Jerusalem should listen to the Lord’s message, but now you refuse to listen to him. You have said, “We have made an agreement with death. We have a contract with death. So we will not be punished. Punishment will pass us without hurting us. We will hide behind our tricks and lies.” 9-15

Mar 28, 2016
This realm is what I first encountered when I recieved the Baptism in the Holy Spirit.

I remember pressing in for about the same time and just thought "maybe it ain't for me"
Then one day the Lord spoke to me "today you will recieve the baptism in the Holy Spirit"

All I can say is
Wow,wow,wow,wow!!!!!

Marge and dora.
Never will forget it.
Wow,wow,wow,wow!!!!! Wondering, wondering, wondering,!!!!

Be careful how you hear . When does the believing kick in?

Ok you called down heaven. It was so weighty you made a wonderful noise and fell backward slain in the Spirit and where raptured from the dead by the same hands, that prevented a concussion and 911 call..

That sounds like the real spirit of judgement one falling off a high horse of the oral tradition of mankind, affected with the poison of a false gospel . Its the one the mockers. . . mock with stammering lips .

Dan is used to represent the letter of the law death as Judge used along with Judas used as a example in the work they are both missing from the description of the bride in Revelations. they will not enter the new heavens and earth. the letter of the law death will not rise and condemn through corruption another entire creation.

Genesis 49:16Dan shall judge his people, as one of the tribes of Israel.Dan shall be a serpent by the way, an adder in the path, that biteth the horse heels, so that his rider shall fall backward

John 18:5-6 King James Version (KJV) They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them. As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground

The phrase fall backwards is used to indicate the unredeemed breaking the neck in ceremonial laws. That is also shown with Judas under the spirit of judgement.

Mathew 27:5 And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.

Perhaps look for another kind of wonderment. Getting in the car and driving to church. No spirit of judgment against that or reading the Bible.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013

The devil is a mimicker.

my heart sung absolutely, in reading these words. Refreshed!

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
Consider how Elisha first used the power he'd just recieved after Elijah was taken up. He used it to kill a bunch of children. 2 Kings 2:23,24
I'd just like to point out that Elisha didn't actually kill children, it was actually a gang of young men mocking him and God, better translation would be "youths". It's a common misinterpretation, so that's the only reason I'm bringing it up... :)

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
bottom line - if speaking in tongues is considered essential for faith then it demonstrates a lack of faith
Is praying in the Spirit essential to the faith?

Love in Jesus,
Kelby

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
What you are preaching here is what bill Johnson of bethel is well known for saying. And I meant that cordially because my church also follow that, she sings a lot of their songs.

My view is that such teachings do not distinguish between Israel and the body of Christ, between the gospel of the kingdom and gospel of grace.

They assumed that Jesus was also reaching out to the gentiles during his first coming. Hence when he displayed signs and wonders then, we should also be displaying them now.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure what distinction you are making on the topic of gospel of kingdom vs. gospel of grace. I do know that what Jesus did opened the door for all men, and that the signs and wonders seem to be available to Gentiles through the Holy Ghost. So far, all that I've prayed about, asked for, and/or tried to use seem to function...so I don't see any inherent limitations other than the "normal" limitations of prayer, fasting, faith, sincerity, need, love, etc.

One reason for my expectation that miracles signs and wonders will function for me as a believer (regardless of nationality) is what Jesus himself said about them "These signs shall follow the believer...[without mention of nationality]" So I started testing that concept. So far, I'm quite pleased with the results and am excited to see what's coming next and in the future.

Some may consider that presumptuous, wrong, or even impossible but I'd answer them with another quote from Jesus "My father worketh hitherto, and I work" :) I see a lot of advantages for using the power of the Holy Ghost so I intend to continue and hopefully increase to the fulfilling of Daniel 11:32 (and other scriptures):
  • And such as do wickedly against the covenant shall he corrupt by flatteries: but the people that do know their God shall be strong, and do exploits. - Daniel 11:32 KJV
Love in Jesus,
Kelby

Jan 12, 2019
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure what distinction you are making on the topic of gospel of kingdom vs. gospel of grace. I do know that what Jesus did opened the door for all men, and that the signs and wonders seem to be available to Gentiles through the Holy Ghost. So far, all that I've prayed about, asked for, and/or tried to use seem to function...so I don't see any inherent limitations other than the "normal" limitations of prayer, fasting, faith, sincerity, need, love, etc.

One reason for my expectation that miracles signs and wonders will function for me as a believer (regardless of nationality) is what Jesus himself said about them "These signs shall follow the believer...[without mention of nationality]" So I started testing that concept. So far, I'm quite pleased with the results and am excited to see what's coming next and in the future.

Some may consider that presumptuous, wrong, or even impossible but I'd answer them with another quote from Jesus "My father worketh hitherto, and I work" :) I see a lot of advantages for using the power of the Holy Ghost, so I intend to continue and hopefully increase to the fulfilling of Daniel 11:32 (and other scriptures):
  • And such as do wickedly against the covenant shall he corrupt by flatteries: but the people that do know their God shall be strong, and do exploits. - Daniel 11:32 KJV
Love in Jesus,
Kelby
You said Mark 16:17, Jesus is referring to Jews and Gentiles who believe.

So even before the cross, would you also conclude that Jesus was talking about Jews and Gentiles, whenever he addressed the crowd?

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017

All I can say is
Wow,wow,wow,wow!!!!!

Marge and dora.
Never will forget it.
Those kinds of experience aren't quickly forgotten! And thank-you Jesus for sending people like that with your Holy Spirit, and what you do through them. \o/

I don't know exactly how He does stuff like that, but I surely appreciate deliverances like that.

Praise God!
Kelby

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
Wow,wow,wow,wow!!!!! Wondering, wondering, wondering,!!!!

Be careful how you hear . When does the believing kick in?

Ok you called down heaven. It was so weighty you made a wonderful noise and fell backward slain in the Spirit and where raptured from the dead by the same hands, that prevented a concussion and 911 call..

That sounds like the real spirit of judgement one falling off a high horse of the oral tradition of mankind, affected with the poison of a false gospel . Its the one the mockers. . . mock with stammering lips .

Dan is used to represent the letter of the law death as Judge used along with Judas used as a example in the work they are both missing from the description of the bride in Revelations. they will not enter the new heavens and earth. the letter of the law death will not rise and condemn through corruption another entire creation.

Genesis 49:16Dan shall judge his people, as one of the tribes of Israel.Dan shall be a serpent by the way, an adder in the path, that biteth the horse heels, so that his rider shall fall backward

John 18:5-6 King James Version (KJV) They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them. As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground

The phrase fall backwards is used to indicate the unredeemed breaking the neck in ceremonial laws. That is also shown with Judas under the spirit of judgement.

Mathew 27:5 And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.

Perhaps look for another kind of wonderment. Getting in the car and driving to church. No spirit of judgment against that or reading the Bible.
Hi Garee,
I understand that you don't have or appreciate speaking in tongues, but it is inadvisable to speak against things that are provided by the Holy Ghost. And I get that you don't think tongues is one of those things. I'm just looking out for your well-being.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby

Diakonos

Jan 19, 2019
Anacortes, WA
I'm not in the mood to read 47 pages to catch up. But I am curious if anyone has brought up the fact that there are more than one kind of tongues? Namely, four kinds are mentioned in the Bible.

Mar 28, 2016
Hi Garee,
I understand that you don't have or appreciate speaking in tongues, but it is inadvisable to speak against things that are provided by the Holy Ghost. And I get that you don't think tongues is one of those things. I'm just looking out for your well-being.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby
Thanks for the reply .

I am confident that the tongue of God is prophecy. It takes looking at the foundation of the teaching. Those who seek after signs and wonders gospel must ignore the law . There confidence is in the wonder they produce. A wile of the father of lies. No such thing as a sign gift. Spiritul gift not seen yes.

I would agree that we do not speak against the Holy Ghost as do the mockers. Those same ones God mocks' with stammering lips.

You would have to look at the law in 1 Corinthians 14:21-22 by looking to the foundation in the Old Testament

It is inadvisable to speak against things that are provided by the Holy Ghost having it in exchange for a little self edifying wonderment.

A portion of the law below spoken of in 1 Corinthians 14 .You decide who is mocking who.

Isaiah 28: 9-14 The people say, “Who does he think he is trying to teach and explain his message to? Does he think we are babies who were at their mother’s breast only a very short time ago? He speaks to us as though we were babies:

“Saw lasaw saw lasaw
Qaw laqaw qaw laqaw
Ze’er sham ze’er sham.”

So God will use this strange way of talking, and he will use other languages to speak to these people. In the past he spoke to them and said, “Here is a resting place. Let those who are tired come and rest. This is the place of peace.”But they would not listen to him. So the Lord’s words will be senseless sound to them:

“Saw lasaw saw lasaw.
Qaw laqaw qaw laqaw.
Ze’er sham ze’er sham.”

When the people try to walk, they will fall backwards. They will be defeated, trapped, and captured.

No One Escapes God’s Judgment

You leaders in Jerusalem should listen to the Lord’s message, but now you refuse to listen to him. 15 You have said, “We have made an agreement with death. We have a contract with death. So we will not be punished. Punishment will pass us without hurting us. We will hide behind our
tricks and lies.

Mar 28, 2016
Continuing with prophecy the tongue of God. God mocking those who mock prophecy .

A example of those that the sign of unbelief (no faith) is directed at. .Same one that do the turning of things upside down to take away the understanding of the Potter in another portion of Jerimiah . It that mocking sets up the foundation of tongues .God bringing his word the gospel in the languages of many nations.

As for the word that thou hast spoken unto us in the name of the Lord, we will not hearken unto thee. But we will certainly do whatsoever thing goeth forth out of our own mouth, to burn incense unto the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, as we have done, we, and our fathers, our kings, and our princes, in the cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem: for then had we plenty of victuals, and were well, and saw no evil.
But since we left off to burn incense to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, we have wanted all things, and have been consumed by the sword and by the famine. Jerimiah 44:16-18

Jesus said to them who made him into a circus seal as they sought after wondering rather than believing.

John 4:48 Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.

1 Corinthians 14:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

It does not get any clearer. Sign not to them that believe prophecy the tongue of God .They walk by faith the unseen eternal.

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
I'm not in the mood to read 47 pages to catch up. But I am curious if anyone has brought up the fact that there are more than one kind of tongues? Namely, four kinds are mentioned in the Bible.
I'm not sure we've listed them all but I'll give a listing here for your review.

Types and/or meanings for the word "tongue(s)"
  1. PHYSICAL: That physical thing in your mouth with which you lick things.
  2. NATURAL: Any spoken language (English, Dutch, Russian, Africaans, Cantonese, Navajo, etc) with which one man talks to another. These can be learned and/or developed over time.
  3. SPIRITUAL: 'Unknown' Tongue(s): That babbly (stammering lips) language that a person is given when they receive the outpouring of the Holy Ghost(baptism of the Holy Spirit). This one is not being spoken to man, but rather to God, because no man understands this language. (God can, on occasion provide the interpretation of this kind of tongue/language/speaking)
  4. SPIRITUAL: Diversities of tongues: this describes an action rather than a specific language. It's what we call it when God provides miraculous speaking of foreign languages by someone who has not learned this/these language(s). To the speaker, this just sounds like 'unknown' tongues because the syllables coming out of their mouth are just as unrecognizable to the speaker as the unrecognizable syllables that they would normally be speaking to God.
I labeled the last two as "SPIRITUAL" because they require miraculous intervention by the Spirit of God to occur.

As a bonus I'll mention a few other things that some might classify as types or kinds of tongues/languages.

A. SPIRITUAL: Heavenly/angel languages: it is possible that God uses different languages to speak in heaven than what man uses on earth.

B. NATURAL : Made up, Modified or Newly constructed languages. (Klingon, Pig Latin, etc)

Are the 4 types I mentioned similar to what you were thinking?

Love in Jesus,
Kelby

notuptome

May 17, 2013
I'm not a democrat sorry to disappoint you again :)
I don't care about your political affiliations. I do care about your sincerity in biblical matters.

For the cause of Christ
Roger