The Purpose of the Gift of Divers Tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

eternally-gratefull

The difference between the Old Testement believers and New Teestment believers, is the covenant.
When you read the Old Testement the term "the spirit of the lord came upon them" only a choosen few and we never will you read God dwells in them.
Only after new covernant we read 1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 2 Corinthians 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
In the Old Testament the power of the Holy Ghost was limited. God only manifested His power for a specific purpose. Usually for delieverance or put Godly fear in other Nations or Israel as you know we learn the fear of the lord by reading the OLd Testament
In the new covernant every believer can be empowered in their daily walk
God doesn't need a High Priest, the High Priest lives in you, his name is Jesus
The diffrence between the OLD the NEW is that in the Old. Sins had yet to be paid for. In the new, Jesus has finished the payment on the cross.

In all ages, Salvation was by grace through faith, But what the saved recieved is also different, BECAUSE the debt of sin had yet to be paid.

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014
1 Corinthians 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits;

to another the interpretation of tongues:

My friend when you read and study the Bible, you will find Jesus operated with all these Gifts in His walk and the disciples after the “upper room encounter”
As the scripture states as you pray in the Holy Spirit you are building up your faith to receive the other gifts
In the end it not you does the work .its’ HIM
1 Corinthians 12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
Still there is no gift, called diversing the tongues.
Still there is nowhere written ore promissed that a believer get all gifts of the Holy Spirit. Thats why Paul used the picture of the body.
Where it is written that our Lord Jesus spoke in the toungues which are taught since 1900?

mystic7

Jul 27, 2013
Um no sir!

If that was true the gift would be given to ALL men, and even paul states quite clearly this is not true.

It just so happened that in these few events the gifts of tongues was used to support what God had planned for those events

Again, your looking at words and not looking up the meaning

Peter told EVERYONE (2nd person plural) to repent

He only told certain people to be baptized (3rd person singular)

He said those who repented (2rd person plural) shall receive the gift (2rd person plural) of the HS. (This is shown easily in the Old English text, when peter said repent ye (plural form of the word you spoken to everyone 3rd person) and let every one of you (singular form of the word, spoken directly to certain individuals 2nd person) be baptised

The only thing thus in question is the word for, or unto.

Th eword for or unto in any language can mean

1. For the purpose of receiving
2. On account that you have already received
And a few others. But these two would fit here

So using this alone to PROVE peter say baptism had to be done in order to recieve can not do that, because it can also mean be baptized on the account you have already received.

In fact, it is shown with what he said after, and those who believed were baptized. (They already had the gift of the spirit)

Either way, If he told everyone to do both in order to receive both, he never would have changed the form and plurality of the verbs,
No only belivers who seek this Gift and receive will bear the evidence
Peter was talking about two baptism, the baptism of water and the baptism of the Holy Spirit
No difference as what John the Baptise declared: Mark 1:8 I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost.
Cornelius received the Baptism of the Holy Ghost then after Peter water Baptised him: Acts 10:44-48 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014
Father in Your great mercy, extend forgiveness to Wolf. Lead him to truth in the name of Jesus.
Thank you Sis for your prayer. Please show me the scripture which taught, that there is a gift of diversing the tongues. And where it is said that a believer get all the diverent gifts of the Holy Spirit.

E

eternally-gratefull

No only belivers who seek this Gift and receive will bear the evidence
Um no that is wrong man, Where are you getting this from? Whoever taught you this has taught you wrong

Peter never asked for it, It just happened, as it has with every person who ever came to christ since that time.

And no one is promised all gifts. That is also wrong..

Peter was talking about two baptism, the baptism of water and the baptism of the Holy Spirit
WHAT??

No difference as what John the Baptise declared: Mark 1:8 I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost.
Yes, and this was fulfilled on the day of pentecost. And as matthew explained,

His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather His wheat into the barn; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”

HS or hell. Those are your only two options. Jesus will baptise you with one..

Cornelius received the Baptism of the Holy Ghost then after Peter water Baptised him: Acts 10:44-48 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
That does not prove you your point

Your still misunderstanding what baptism is..

mystic7

Jul 27, 2013
Sooo you are saying the blood covernant with animal sacrifice was a waste of time. The belivers from Moses time until Christ was cruxified were not forgiven and now rottening in Hell
Mary after giving birth to our Saviour offered according to the law a sin offering: Leviticus 12:2 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If a woman have conceived seed, and born a man child: then she shall be unclean seven days; according to the days of the separation for her infirmity shall she be unclean. Leviticus 12:5-6 But if she bear a maid child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her separation: and she shall continue in the blood of her purifying threescore and six days. And when the days of her purifying are fulfilled, for a son, or for a daughter, she shall bring a lamb of the first year for a burnt offering, and a young pigeon, or a turtledove, for a sin offering, unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, unto the priest:
So God rejected this offering and Mary right is in Hell
Bro the Old Testament Covernant was: Hebrews 10:1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

Interesting

Bro we are straying off the topic

God Bless

mystic7

Jul 27, 2013
Um no that is wrong man, Where are you getting this from? Whoever taught you this has taught you wrong

Peter never asked for it, It just happened, as it has with every person who ever came to christ since that time.

WHAT??

His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather His wheat into the barn; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”

That is your opinion
God Bless

E

eternally-gratefull

Sooo you are saying the blood covernant with animal sacrifice was a waste of time. The belivers from Moses time until Christ was cruxified were not forgiven and now rottening in Hell
Mary after giving birth to our Saviour offered according to the law a sin offering: Leviticus 12:2 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If a woman have conceived seed, and born a man child: then she shall be unclean seven days; according to the days of the separation for her infirmity shall she be unclean. Leviticus 12:5-6 But if she bear a maid child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her separation: and she shall continue in the blood of her purifying threescore and six days. And when the days of her purifying are fulfilled, for a son, or for a daughter, she shall bring a lamb of the first year for a burnt offering, and a young pigeon, or a turtledove, for a sin offering, unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, unto the priest:
So God rejected this offering and Mary right is in Hell
Bro the Old Testament Covernant was: Hebrews 10:1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

Interesting

Bro we are straying off the topic

God Bless
Heb 10: 4 - For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins.

Gal 3:
What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator. 20 Now a mediator does not mediate for one only, but God is one.

21 Is the law then against the promises of God? Certainly not! For if there had been a law given which could have given life, truly righteousness would have been by the law. 22 But the Scripture has confined all under sin, that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe. 23 But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. 24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

No one at any time in any place has ever been saved by one aspect of the law.

Not sure why you would think otherwise.

Salvation in all time has been by Grace through faith.

mystic7

Jul 27, 2013

WHAT??

Peter did not need to he was instructed by Jesus to wait for it. In the the upper they weren't asking to be baptised in the Holy Ghost, they waitng to receive the baptism and they were
Acts 1:3-5 To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God: And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me. For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

Bro we're beating around the bush. You are trying to find points to discredit my post
If you disagree with my Post Praise the Lord
But there are others who do agree Praise the Lord
you walk your and I'll walk mine

God Bless

E

eternally-gratefull

Peter did not need to he was instructed by Jesus to wait for it. In the the upper they weren't asking to be baptised in the Holy Ghost, they waitng to receive the baptism and they were
Acts 1:3-5 To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God: And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me. For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

Bro we're beating around the bush. You are trying to find points to discredit my post
If you disagree with my Post Praise the Lord
But there are others who do agree Praise the Lord
you walk your and I'll walk mine

God Bless
Lol

Why are you going to ask what you were told you were going to get?

You don’t, You wait patiently. So to say you proved it to me would be wrong

I am sorry, But this is a dangerous belief, If you wish to continue to go there, Feel free. I will not stop you. But I will continue to attempt to show people what baptism really is.

mystic7

Jul 27, 2013
Heb 10: 4 - For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins.

Gal 3:
What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator. 20 Now a mediator does not mediate for one only, but God is one.

21 Is the law then against the promises of God? Certainly not! For if there had been a law given which could have given life, truly righteousness would have been by the law. 22 But the Scripture has confined all under sin, that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe. 23 But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. 24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

No one at any time in any place has ever been saved by one aspect of the law.

Not sure why you would think otherwise.

Salvation in all time has been by Grace through faith.
As I stated so you are saying all those in Moses's time until the cruxifiction are all in Hell

mystic7

Jul 27, 2013

WHAT??

This passages of scriptures clearly shows there were two baptism experienced

E

eternally-gratefull

As I stated so you are saying all those in Moses's time until the cruxifiction are all in Hell
Please

Explain to me why you think I think this, because I never said any such thing!

E

eternally-gratefull

This passages of scriptures clearly shows there were two baptism experienced
Your talking about acts 2?

I see what your saying

1. They recieved the gift of the HS because they repented and believed (they both were baptised wiht the spirit and annointed with him as he was poured out (to anoint) on them)

2. And because of receiving remission of sins by their faith, they followed Gods first command and got baptized in water.

But the gift of tongues? That was not a direct result of being Baptized by the spirit. Which is what cleansed them

mystic7

Jul 27, 2013
Please

Explain to me why you think I think this, because I never said any such thing!
By the sriptures you have quoted as I have stated before you don't need either baptise to make Heaven You just need to BornAgain (thief on the cross proved this)
But I said we are straying off the topic

Your talking about acts 2?

I see what your saying

1. They recieved the gift of the HS because they repented and believed (they both were baptised wiht the spirit and annointed with him as he was poured out (to anoint) on them)
2. And because of receiving remission of sins by their faith, they followed Gods first command and got baptized in water.

But the gift of tongues? That was not a direct result of being Baptized by the spirit. Which is what cleansed them
Acts 10:44-48 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

E

eternally-gratefull

By the sriptures you have quoted as I have stated before you don't need either baptise to make Heaven You just need to BornAgain (thief on the cross proved this)
But I said we are straying off the topic
The scripture I quotes said no man ever was saved because of the sacrifice of animals or any part of the law. Do you agree with this or not?

Acts 10:44-48 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
Notice the words I bolded

Fell on and received

This is NOT baptism..this is ANOINT

Look to the law

What happened to Moses and all the priests

They were washed in the river jordan (represented being baptized by the HS on and after the day of pentecost)
They were anointed with the holy oil being poured on their head (represented the HS who is poured on believers in Christ on and after the day of pentecost)

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014
1 Corinthians 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits;

to another the interpretation of tongues:

My friend when you read and study the Bible, you will find Jesus operated with all these Gifts in His walk and the disciples after the “upper room encounter”
As the scripture states as you pray in the Holy Spirit you are building up your faith to receive the other gifts
In the end it not you does the work .its’ HIM
1 Corinthians 12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
Where the bible says, if i pray in the spirit, i build up the faith to receive the other gifts?
If this is not written down, you believe a lie.
I know this sounds hard, but this kind of teaching deceives and frustrate believers to expect something what is not promissed from our heavenly father.

L

Locoponydirtman

What a major deal human have made of a minor thing.
Paul said he wished that all spoke in tongues, but they don't, and that we would cover the best gifts rather than tongues.
Tongues is what we focus on because it can be worked up from the flesh. A person having their emotions strummed can fake tongue speaking, but they can't fake prophecy. Rest assured either way it will find you out. So practice the greater which is love hope and faith.

L

Locoponydirtman

I'm just gonna drop this here for ya.

mystic7

Jul 27, 2013
The scripture I quotes said no man ever was saved because of the sacrifice of animals or any part of the law. Do you agree with this or not?

Notice the words I bolded

Fell on and received

This is NOT baptism..this is ANOINT

Look to the law

What happened to Moses and all the priests

They were washed in the river jordan (represented being baptized by the HS on and after the day of pentecost)
They were anointed with the holy oil being poured on their head (represented the HS who is poured on believers in Christ on and after the day of pentecost)
Yes I know some preachers preach crossing of the Red Sea symbolized the water baptism but others also preach the crossing of the Jericho by Joshua, sybolized the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
For it was the Joshua generation they entered the Promise Land.
As I have stated, you believe what you believe is correct and I'll have what I believe

God Bless