THE REAL BAPTISM

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 2, 2024
WHAT IS A REAL BAPTISM?

John The Baptist preached how baptism is important.
Whosoever is not Baptist by him the punishment is in hell.

MATTHEW 3:10
And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

There are 2 kinds of baptism that a person should have according to John the Baptist.
1. Water unto Repentance
2. Holy Ghost and With Fire

MATTHEW 3:11
I indeed baptize you with WATER UNTO REPENTANCE. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the HOLY GHOST, and WITH FIRE:

As I notice to every group in Christianity, they only perform 1 baptism which is in water.

WHAT IS THE REAL BAPTISM AS JOHN THE BAPTIST PREACHED IN MATTHEW 3:11?

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE 2 BAPTISMS?

Artios1

Born again to serve
Dec 11, 2020
Trust me ….you do not want to be baptized with/in fire.

Mat 3:12

Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.

Act 1:5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

The word BUT is a contrasting conjunction setting in contrast that which was just spoken. Jesus DID NOT use the words “in addition to water” … instead He said “But Ye shall …”

In the vernacular ….. When the greater comes… the lesser is done away with …And it changed because there was a new covenant installed on/at Pentecost … water is inferior to what is now a far superior and truly internal….forever!

Johns baptism was unto repentance …confessing their sins,

Mat 3:6 And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.

Spirit baptism is confessing the savior from sin Jesus Christ

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
As I notice to every group in Christianity, they only perform 1 baptism which is in water.
The reason is quite simple. As John the Baptizer said, it is only Christ who baptizes WITH the Holy Ghost. So just relax.

Jan 2, 2024
WHAT IS A REAL BAPTISM?

And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

There are 2 kinds of baptism that a person should have according to John the Baptist.
1. Water unto Repentance

I indeed baptize you with WATER UNTO REPENTANCE. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the HOLY GHOST, and WITH FIRE:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As I also noticed to the group of Christianity that perform water baptism.
They are all using the literal water as John the Baptist do written in the bible, how come the different groups in Christianity have different doctrines?
Isn't it right that they must come up in one doctrine only?
What went wrong?

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
just tell us what you are here to teach us.

Johann

Apr 12, 2022

II. BAPTISM IN THE NEW TESTAMENT
There is no hint in the questions posed
to John the Baptist (John 1:19,25) that the
ceremony being performed by him was in
any way different from what was already
prescribed in the Old Testament. The Pharisees did not ask what he was doing, they
asked why he was doing it. And the answer
is clear. John fulfilled prophecy as the forerunner of the Messiah (Isaiah 40:3; John
1:23). To receive the Messiah, Israel was in
need of repentance and cleansing from sin
(Matthew 3:2; 4:17,23), and John preached
“the baptism of repentance for the remission
of sins” (Mark 1:4; Luke 3:3). Therefore,
came Jerusalem and all Judea to John “and
were baptized by him in Jordan, confessing
their sins” (Matthew 3:5,6). So to prepare
Israel for their Messiah and entrance into
the promised Kingdom, this purifying and
cleansing ceremony of the Mosaic Law became especially important.
John himself summarizes these points
in John 1:31 where he stated the general
purpose of his baptism: “That He [Messiah
or Christ] should be made manifest to Israel,
therefore am I come baptizing with water.”
Is the baptism practiced in the Book of
Acts in obedience to Matthew 28:19,20 and
Mark 16:15-18 any different? That a negative answer is required can be seen for several
reasons. (1) Jesus was still being presented
to Israel as their Messiah (Acts 2:16-40, esp.
22,36; 3:12-26, esp. 12,25,26; 5:29-32, esp. 31).
(2) As did John the Baptist,Peter commanded
Israel to “repent and be baptized...for the
remission of sins” (Acts 2:37,38; 3:19). (3) It
was in Acts that the prophesied Kingdom was
actually offered to Israel (Acts 3:19-21).

III. IS WATER BAPTISM FOR TODAY?
The answer is no for the following reasons.
1. Baptism was part of the Mosaic Law.
The Christian today is strictly admonished
not to place himself under the Law or any
part of it. See Romans 6:14,15; Galatians
3:2,3; 4:9; 5:1-4,18; et al. The ordinances
of the Law have been taken out of the way
and nailed to the Cross of Christ (Colossians
2:14; Hebrews 8:13; 10:1-18).

2. There occurred after the early chapters
of the Book of Acts a change in God’s dealings
with Israel. Israel rejected Peter’s offer of
the Kingdom in Acts 3:19-21 and as a result
was, as a nation, temporarily cast aside (Acts
10:1-48; 13:44-49; 18:4-6; 28:25-28; Romans
11:1-25, esp. 11,12,15,25). Therefore, the
whole basis for water baptism in the New Testament as traced in this tract is removed.
3. As another result of Israel’s rejection,
God began the Church of today, the Body
of Christ mentioned in Ephesians 1:22,23.

The student of Scripture must carefully distinguish between Israel and the Church.
It was the Apostle Paul that God raised up
to dispense the new, previously unrevealed
message concerning the origin, doctrine,
position, walk, and destiny of this Church
(Romans 16:25-27; Ephesians 2:11-3:12;
Colossians 1:24-29). This Apostle clearly
states that “Christ sent me not to baptize,
but to preach the gospel” (I Corinthians
1:17). Thus he was not laboring under the
commission of Matthew 28 and Mark 16
as were Peter and the Eleven in the early
chapters of Acts. That commission does
not direct the dissemination of the gospel
today. For the Church today there is only
“one baptism” (Ephesians 4:5), the baptism
of the Holy Spirit which unites the believer
with Christ and fuses him into the Body of
Christ (Romans 6:1-10; I Corinthians 12:13;
Galatians 3:27; Colossians 2:10-12).
Kenneth J. Mo

J.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
You can dwell all day long on what went wrong and it'll drive you crazy. It's better to think about how you yourself can have a closer
walk with the Lord and the truth. If you have something you think will help me and others have a closer walk, by all means share it.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
1. Water unto Repentance
The one part of this you got right was "2 kinds of baptism."

Water baptism is the 1st act of obedience by a new believer, It serves as a witness to both the world and the church that the new believer has become a believer in and follower of Jesus. The reason it is important is that the "One Baptism" (baptism of the Holy Spirit) is a spiritual event and can not be seen by the naked eye. Jesus told us to be water baptized so this "witness" would be seen, just as His water baptism was seen by man.

Water baptism is not needed for salvation. Only the precious blood of Jesus can cleanse anyone of their sin, and make them worthy to be called the children of God, and heirs to the Promise. Water baptism will achieve neither of these.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
That is a complete misunderstanding of what John said. John said that Christ would baptize with the Holy Spirit. But he also said (at the same time) that those who are not baptized with the Holy Spirit will face eternal damnation.

Many Christians think that "with fire" is also a part of being baptized with the Holy Ghost. But that is simply not true. What the Bible says is this: Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire. (Mt 3:12). This corresponds to: And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. (Mt 3:10) So the unsaved are compared to unfruitful trees as well as to chaff from wheat. This has nothing to do with "cloven tongues of fire" on the day of Pentecost (a one-time event).

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
The one part of this you got right was "2 kinds of baptism."

Water baptism is the 1st act of obedience by a new believer, It serves as a witness to both the world and the church that the new believer has become a believer in and follower of Jesus. The reason it is important is that the "One Baptism" (baptism of the Holy Spirit) is a spiritual event and can not be seen by the naked eye. Jesus told us to be water baptized so this "witness" would be seen, just as His water baptism was seen by man.

Water baptism is not needed for salvation. Only the precious blood of Jesus can cleanse anyone of their sin, and make them worthy to be called the children of God, and heirs to the Promise. Water baptism will achieve neither of these.
The baptism of the Holy Spirit is not impossible to recognize. There was proof that the Holy Ghost had come to dwell in those of all groups of humanity (Jews, Gentiles) and the 12 individuals in Ephesus; they all spoke in tongues. (Acts 2:4, 10:43-48, 19:1-6) The conversion experience of the Samaritans (half-Jew and half-Gentile) was the one exception. (Acts 8:12-18) The group believed the gospel message and submitted to water baptism in the name of Jesus, yet did not receive the Holy Spirit. However, the Samaritan account reveals there is evidence when the experience takes place. This is revealed in the fact that those present knew they had not received the Holy Ghost. How did the know this? The account does not state exactly how they knew. But considering that all of the other accounts mention speaking in tongues specifically, one can conclude that is what was missing. Peter and John were sent to assist in the experience. And Simon saw something that prompted him to offer money to be able to assist in people receiving the Holy Ghost as well. (Acts 8:17-18)

Jan 2, 2024
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As I also noticed to the group of Christianity that perform water baptism.
They are all using the literal water as John the Baptist do written in the bible, how come the different groups in Christianity have different doctrines?
Isn't it right that they must come up in one doctrine only?
What went wrong?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I became curious with what the different groups in Christianity performing baptism.
That is why I post the question What is The Real Baptism.

There is a pattern in baptism. According to Jesus his words will not pass away.
MATTHEW 24:35
Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

Therefore this pattern will remain even in our times today.

When Jesus baptized by John The Baptist, he was filled with The Holy Ghost

MATTHEW 3:13-17
And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:

As Jesus revealed to Apostle John, The Holy Ghost is the Teacher.

1 JOHN 2:27
But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

If The Holy Ghost is the Teacher.
Why the different groups in Christianity whereas they perform the baptism have different Doctrines?
Who is The Holy Ghost (teacher) filled to them?

If we ask every each of the group they claim they are The Truth.

I don't think they have the same baptism as John The Baptist Baptism.

Therefore: WHAT IS THE REAL BAPTISM?

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
If your point is people can't seem to get together on the truth then I agree; people disagree about what scripture means. If you think you know the truth it would be helpful if you'd share your views rather than trying to stir up contention..

Shilohsfoal

Dec 27, 2018
WHAT IS A REAL BAPTISM?

1. Water unto Repentance

I was baptized in n the holy Ghost in my house while I was praying.

No water was needed for God to wash away my sins.A pure sacrifice is what was needed.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
A key thing here is asking key questions about what is happening in the text itself.

Is it an entire group being baptised? Then it most likely isnt individuals getting baptised by immersion in water.

If it is an individual... were they converted before the baptism?

If so, then that eliminates figurative baptism of the Holy Spirit at salvation, although I don't actually see the HS baptizing individuals for salvation in scripture.. sealing yes..indwelling..yes..baptizing? Haven't seen it.

If someone is also baptised by another person..it's gotta be water baptism.

Individuals v group administrations of the Holy Spirit = different works.

Jan 2, 2024
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I became curious with what the different groups in Christianity performing baptism.
That is why I post the question What is The Real Baptism.

There is a pattern in baptism. According to Jesus his words will not pass away.
MATTHEW 24:35
Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

Therefore this pattern will remain even in our times today.

When Jesus baptized by John The Baptist, he was filled with The Holy Ghost

MATTHEW 3:13-17
And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:

As Jesus revealed to Apostle John, The Holy Ghost is the Teacher.

1 JOHN 2:27
But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

If The Holy Ghost is the Teacher.
Why the different groups in Christianity whereas they perform the baptism have different Doctrines?
Who is The Holy Ghost (teacher) filled to them?

If we ask every each of the group they claim they are The Truth.

I don't think they have the same baptism as John The Baptist Baptism.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As I have learned; reading the bible is not the same as reading academic books.
It requires A Divine Revelation from God before we understand the meaning.

Example;
When Jesus entered into a temple.
The equivalent of Temple in our times are the Church, Cathedral or Chapel.
But to Jesus, Temple is His Body.

Therefore: Jesus is using man's word but with different meaning.

JOHN 2:19-21
Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
21 But he spake of the temple of his body.

Another example is when Jesus talk to his disciples about Leaven. Of course in Man's understanding (literal meaning) Leaven is use in Bread.
But when Jesus explain or Reveal the meaning of Leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees is The Wrong Doctrines of The Pharisees and Sadducees.

MATTHEW 16:6-12
Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.
7 And they reasoned among themselves, saying, It is because we have taken no bread.
8 Which when Jesus perceived, he said unto them, O ye of little faith, why reason ye among yourselves, because ye have brought no bread?
9 Do ye not yet understand, neither remember the five loaves of the five thousand, and how many baskets ye took up?
10 Neither the seven loaves of the four thousand, and how many baskets ye took up?
11 How is it that ye do not understand that I spake it not to you concerning bread, that ye should beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees?
Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

This is how I learned in reading the Bible requires A Divine Revelation.
Jesus must explain the meaning because Jesus is using Man's word but different meaning.

Temple & Leaven although they are words which the meaning is very clear to us but, they are Parables.

This is why Jesus must Reveal The Meaning to his disciples because Jesus is speaking in Parables.

MARK 4:34
34 But without a parable spake he not unto them: and when they were alone, he expounded all things to his disciples

Therefore the Baptism of John The Baptist in Water into Repentance.
The literal meaning of water is very clear to us. Water is what we drink everyday. Water is what we use when taking shower. Water is what we mix in our cooking. Water is what we use in washing our clothes & dishes.

But since Jesus is speaking in Parable (Mark 4:34).
What is the water according to Jesus that John The Baptist used in Baptism ?

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
I was baptized in n the holy Ghost in my house while I was praying.

No water was needed for God to wash away my sins.A pure sacrifice is what was needed.
Water baptism in the name of Jesus is for remission of sin and is required along with being indwelt by the Holy Ghost. (Mark 1:1-5, Luke 3:3, Luke 24:47, Acts 2:38-41, 8:12-18, 9:17-18, 10:43-48, 19:1-6, 22:16)

Shilohsfoal

Dec 27, 2018
Water baptism in the name of Jesus is for remission of sin and is required along with being indwelt by the Holy Ghost. (Mark 1:1-5, Luke 3:3, Luke 24:47, Acts 2:38-41, 8:12-18, 9:17-18, 10:43-48, 19:1-6, 22:16)
God did not require water baptism for gentiles nor did he require to take a bath to wash away sins.
By the way.I shower daily .I don't need a man to shower me or bath me.Im quite capable of doing it myself.But what I couldn't wash away ,the Lord did.

John 13:10
Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.

You can explain to Jesus how you believe he can't clean anyone without your help.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
God did not require water baptism for gentiles nor did he require to take a bath to wash away sins.
By the way.I shower daily .I don't need a man to shower me or bath me.Im quite capable of doing it myself.But what I couldn't wash away ,the Lord did.

John 13:10
Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.

You can explain to Jesus how you believe he can't clean anyone without your help.
Have to say I'm surprised at your response; such animosity is really not warranted.

Your understanding that God did not require the Gentiles to be baptized in water is not accurate. The following is the conversion account of Gentiles. As seen in verses 47 and 48 below, the group was commanded to be baptized in water in the name of Jesus. The same was true for those of the population who were half-Jew and half-Gentile; the Samaritans. (Acts 8:12-18) As well as 12 individuals from Ephesus. These accounts provide definitive proof that all individuals regardless of nationality are required to be obedient to the same message.

"To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days." Acts 10:43-48

Shilohsfoal

Dec 27, 2018
Have to say I'm surprised at your response; such animosity is really not warranted.

Your understanding that God did not require the Gentiles to be baptized in water is not accurate. The following is the conversion account of Gentiles. As seen in verses 47 and 48 below, the group was commanded to be baptized in water in the name of Jesus. The same was true for those of the population who were half-Jew and half-Gentile; the Samaritans. (Acts 8:12-18) As well as 12 individuals from Ephesus. These accounts provide definitive proof that all individuals regardless of nationality are required to be obedient to the same message.

"To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days." Acts 10:43-48

So you believe what God cleansed is still unclean?

Acts 10
15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

Do you go around Preaching what God has cleansed is unclean?
It sounds like you do.

Shilohsfoal

Dec 27, 2018

PS

Peter was told not call what God had cleansed common.Peter did not need to try to clean the gentiles after God had already cleaned them.

As for the holy Ghost.He comes in Yeshua name.

John 14:26
But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.