What do you mean,specifically, by "the Curse of the Lord"?
Hello Kelby!
Thank you for showing your genuine willingness to learn. What I appreciate about this willingness is that it's true . . . I am "reaching" in this particular idea about John. However, and although I admit that I am reaching, a part of me believes strongly that my hypothesis is indeed True. As for the Curse of the Lord, I use as many translations as I can get my hands on. Here is one that uses that expression clearly:
Galatians 3:13 NLT - "But
Christ has rescued us from the curse pronounced by the law. When he was hung on the cross,
he took upon himself the curse for our wrongdoing. For it is written in the Scriptures, "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree."
This is the same Curse as discussed in Romans chapter five as Paul relates it to the unholy work of Adam and Eve. So, we are redeemed of a Curse . . . wouldn't it make sense that this Curse is what is being removed in Colossians 2:11?
Colossians 2:11 NLT - "When you came to Christ, you were "circumcised," but not by a physical procedure. Christ performed a spiritual circumcision--
the cutting away of your sinful nature."
Colossians 2:9-15 addresses the "problem" that Adam and Eve set into motion. The problem of God's Curse:
2 Peter 2:14 NLT - "They commit adultery with their eyes, and their desire for sin is never satisfied. They lure unstable people into sin, and they are well trained in greed.
They live under God's curse."
So, it is this Curse that Christ was purposed for which to provide Holy Redemption.
And is there a scripture stating that John was removing it?
No sir. There is no such verse. We must, though, consider all of Scripture through the concept of the Mysterious Plan.
Ephesians 3:9 NLT - "I was chosen to explain to everyone this mysterious plan that God, the Creator of all things, had kept secret from the beginning."
Ephesians 6:19 NLT - "And pray for me, too. Ask God to give me the right words so I can boldly explain God's mysterious plan that the Good News is for Jews and Gentiles alike."
This Plan is not easy to understand even though Paul "unpacks" it for us. And even though he reveals this Plan to us, it remains hidden today, only available to the Lord's True Saints. I would have told you ten years ago that I knew what this Plan was, but I was clueless. It wasn't until I felt the Raw, Almighty Power of God that I realized I had better get busy and figure out what the Bible was about. I hadn't even read the Old Testament at that point, yet I considered myself a "master" of sorts (regarding certain doctrines). So, that's what I did . . . I began reading the Bible as I applied three sets of Scripture to every word in the Bible. They are:
Ephesians 3:1-13
Ephesians 2:10-16
Colossians 2:9-15
If a person processed the entire Bible through those three sets of Scripture, it would change not only their entire perspective of the Bible, but their life would be change. I mean, Truly changed. As silly as it may seem, I refer to those three passage sets as the Triangle of Truth.
But back to John. No, there is no Scripture that states that John was removing the Sin Nature. But Jesus said that there is no one greater than John. That's significant because there must be a significant reason for such a saying. If John's Baptism seems to grant Repentance, this cannot be done unless the Curse of the Lord has been lifted. No one can Repent, or do anything that stems from a "whole" heart until their heart has been made Whole. Let's relate this to the fact that Jesus could not heal people who did not have faith. It is the same concept.
Mark 6:5-6 NIV - "He could not do any miracles there, except lay his hands on a few sick people and heal them. 6 He was amazed at their lack of faith. Then Jesus went around teaching from village to village."
Therefore, we can gather that all healings in the New Testament revolved around those who had Faith. Who can have faith if they remain under the Curse? No one. Why would Jesus heal a person that was Cursed? What would the point in such an action be? Why heal a person that is bound for hell?
Ephesians 1:4 NIV - "For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight."
Jesus knew who belonged to Him, thus, what would the purpose be in healing a person who would never receive Eternal Life? Jesus actually confirms what the healings were about in John 9:39. It says:
John 9:38-41 NIV - "Then the man said, "Lord, I believe," and he worshiped him. 39 Jesus said,"For judgment I have come into this world, so that the blind will see and those who see will become blind." 40 Some Pharisees who were with him heard him say this and asked, "What? Are we blind too?" 41 Jesus said, "If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains."
Jesus only healed those who had Faith. And so again, back to John. Those who received his baptism were Enabled to believe in the Plan of God, while those who did not receive the Baptism of John, they rejected the Plan of God.
Acts 19:3-4 NIV - "So Paul asked, "Then what baptism did you receive?" "John's baptism," they replied. 4 Paul said, "John's baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus."
So let's head back to Luke 7:
Luke 7:28-30 NIV - "I tell you, among those born of women there is no one greater than John; yet the one who is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he." 29 (All the people, even the tax collectors, when they heard Jesus' words, acknowledged that God's way was right, because they had been baptized by John. 30 But the Pharisees and the experts in the law rejected God's purpose for themselves, because they had not been baptized by John.)"
Do you see it? The Baptism of John was extraordinary. There was something going on with John, for, no one is greater than John. Why?! Because his Baptisn was of a different Nature altogether.
Look at the question that Jesus posits from Matthew chapter 21:
Matthew 21:25 NIV - "
John's baptism--where did it come from? Was it from heaven, or of human origin?" They discussed it among themselves and said, "If we say, 'From heaven,' he will ask, 'Then why didn't you believe him?"
Yes. John's Baptism was from Heaven . . . it contained a supernatural element. Now, what about the seventy that were sent out to heal and cast out demons?
Luke 10:16-19 NIV - "Whoever listens to you listens to me; whoever rejects you rejects me; but whoever rejects me rejects him who sent me." 17 The seventy-two returned with joy and said, "Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name." 18 He replied, "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. 19 I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you."
For Satan to fall from the sky like lightening is Jesus's way of saying that Satan was defeated in the lives of those people who had been redeemed. Doesn't it seem reasonable that when John Baptized with his Baptism that was from heaven, that Jesus ALSO saw Satan fall from the sky like lightening? Absolutely, yes. So, John's Baptism in on the same level as the seventy being given the Power to heal and cast out demons. John could not grant a baptism of Heavenly Power no more than could the seventy unless it weren't for Jesus granting that ability through and from Himself. Again . . .
"Whoever listens to you listens to me . . ." When those who were Baptised by John, they were receiving a lifting of the Curse of the Lord, just as were the Seventy who were astonished that they would heal and cast out demons. Like Jesus being unable to heal those who did not have Faith, John could not offer such a Baptism nor could the Seventy do what they had done unless that Curse had been removed. John "prepared the way" for perhaps thousands to be ready to receive the outpouring of the Spirit that was not readily available . . . yet. However, this Holy Spirit is the same Spirit that would given to those of the Old Testament who led Israel.
Numbers 11:28-29 NIV - "Joshua son of Nun, who had been Moses' aide since youth, spoke up and said, "Moses, my lord, stop them!" 29 But Moses replied, "Are you jealous for my sake? I wish that all the LORD's people were prophets and that the LORD would put his Spirit on them!"
Seriously, I could keep writing and writing and writing. But, for now, I have expounded on these things enough so that if I keep typing, it'll be too long for this post.
