The Resurrection and Funerals

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
I hear Christians say God exists outside of time,, etc.. I cannot find this idea in scripture. I sudpect the idea comes more from apoloceticists ruminating on the theories of modern physics and philosophical ideas derived from it. If there is some scripture that supports this idea, I would be interested in seeing it. I would be interested in seeing scripture that supports this idea of yours that heaven is timelessness.
God exists inside of Time as well as outside...God is infinitely Supreme and Sovereign.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
I hear Christians say God exists outside of time,, etc.. I cannot find this idea in scripture. I sudpect the idea comes more from apoloceticists ruminating on the theories of modern physics and philosophical ideas derived from it. If there is some scripture that supports this idea, I would be interested in seeing it. I would be interested in seeing scripture that supports this idea of yours that heaven is timelessness.
Scriptures would include such as the 5th commandment...Honor your Father and mother...
This is about participating in a worship started by Abraham and Sarah who were God's friends. You didn't start your own worship as God exists in and out of time...in order to be recognized for your worship you had to glom on to Abraham's worship. Living and behaving as Abraham and Sarah did. You dressed in proscribed ways, ate in proscribed ways, and said particular things on particular days.
This commandment wasn't so much about your birth parents as it was about a large, generations long worship of God.

presidente

May 29, 2013
God exists inside of Time as well as outside...God is infinitely Supreme and Sovereign.
Where does the Bible anywhere communicate the idea that there is such a thing as 'outside of time' or 'timelessness'?

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Where does the Bible anywhere communicate the idea that there is such a thing as 'outside of time' or 'timelessness'?
Ps 90:4 For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

Not to mention all the scriptures that speak of eternity. Eternity speaks of timelessness.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

presidente

May 29, 2013
Ps 90:4 For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

Not to mention all the scriptures that speak of eternity. Eternity speaks of timelessness.
The quote from Psalms does not prove the 'outside of time' concept. Days and years are still measures of time. What evidence do you have that 'eternity' has anything to do with timelessness?

I see the word in Isaiah 57:13, and the Hebrew word there 'ad, has a gloss of 'perpetuity.' It is translated elsewhere 'forever.' What is the justification for saying it means 'outside of time'?

Some physicists, and Christian apologeticists talking about physics talk about nothingness, not even time, before the universe came into existence. But where does the Bible address the concept of time not existing? Whether there is any validity to the idea in physics or not, where does the Bible address it at all... without us reading the idea into a word without justification?

notuptome

May 17, 2013
The quote from Psalms does not prove the 'outside of time' concept. Days and years are still measures of time. What evidence do you have that 'eternity' has anything to do with timelessness?

I see the word in Isaiah 57:13, and the Hebrew word there 'ad, has a gloss of 'perpetuity.' It is translated elsewhere 'forever.' What is the justification for saying it means 'outside of time'?

Some physicists, and Christian apologeticists talking about physics talk about nothingness, not even time, before the universe came into existence. But where does the Bible address the concept of time not existing? Whether there is any validity to the idea in physics or not, where does the Bible address it at all... without us reading the idea into a word without justification?
Well why don't you tell me how many years are in eternity? Time is a construct for man not for God.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Jun 11, 2020
Do you believe the wicked enters a place of torment (Hell) awaiting the future final judgement?
What is so difficult about answering my arguments, especially if you don't agree with them? You consistently and persistently avoid debate. This is a Forum, not an interrogation platform. But I will answer your question.

First, let's deal with the word "hell". It just does not appear in the Bible. It is a concept that men have when mixing the truth of God's retribution with human thinking. The idea originated in Nimrod's Babylon. What is in the Bible is THREE different concepts defined and named by THREE different words - (i) Gehenna, or the Lake of Fire, or perdition - a STATE of suffering, (ii) Hades (Gk.) or Sheol (Heb.) - the PLACE that the souls of dead men go to wait for resurrection, and (iii) Tartaroo - the PLACE where disobedient angels are banished to until they are sent to the Lake of Fire. We discuss the resurrection in this thread, so we only discuss point #2 - Hades.

From 2nd Corinthians 5:1-5 we learn that in this body we groan, and when it is put off, and we are naked, we groan. So death is no solution to life's discomfort. In death, God's great and last enemy, all suffer. So, the God of all mercies, meets His own in death with a special section of Hades where His own are *comforted". He called it "Abraham's Bosom", and those who will enjoy this section of Hades in death, are "gathered to their people" after death. As it is the SOUL of man that is in Hades, the "comfort" is for the SOUL. But after Christ had graced Hades in that fateful Passover, its name is changed to "Paradise". That indicates that it is pleasurable to be there. Thus, Paul can write in Philippians 1:23; "For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better."

The rest of men enter Hades with whatever they had in life - MINUS any pleasures that the BODY can bring. We all know that man in general is unhappy. Because he was designed as a vessel to contain God, a man who does not have an intimate relationship with God is basically unhappy. Psalm 16:11 says that ultimate joy is only in the presence of the Lord. By default, the absence of God is a terror. To combat this intrinsic unhappiness, man surrounds himself with distractions. He uses money, work, marriage, hobbies and quests to fill the gap in his life. Then comes death and separation from the body, and the man enters Hades void of God and WITHOUT any distractions. He suffers, he "groans".

But the narrative of Luke 16 tells more. The rich man called Abraham, "father", and Abraham answers, "son". That means that the rich man was an Israelite. And the Law of Moses said that he should have "shaken out his hand to the poor and needy" (Deut.15:7-8). Matthew 10:28 warns men that God can afflict the soul. So the Law-breaking rich man, not only "groans" in death, his SOUL is afflicted by God. His torment is doubled. But he must still face God's judgment, which according to Daniel 12:1-2, is after the Great Tribulation. He will be resurrected with the rest of Israel, but will live, in resurrection, with everlasting shame. So, although he does not face a formal judgment after death, he is tormented in Hades AND after the resurrection as a living man.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
The 5th commandment as I already explained. The underlying thoughts and evidence of beliefs in that is evidenced today by Judaism's continued existence.

The same beliefs are also evidenced in far east as well as near eastern beliefs albeit not in Judaism but in Christianity.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
went to a funeral last month, for my cousin, it was at the chapel at cemetery and there was no preaching there but there was some scripture references, it seems all funeral directors say this at every funeral Ive been to:

usually from ecclesiastes about time to be born and a time to die
Mourners often write to Rest in Peace, till we meet again...which is a reference to the resurrection even if its not direct.

at christian funerals theres more though it depends on the preacher, some skirt the issue and say 'a better place' some preach the gospel though I think theres lots of preaching and mention of ressurrection in hymns like Amazing Grace or How Great thou Art. Most commonly sung at funerals.

Lisamn

Dec 29, 2020
Rule them with a rod of iron?

Not sitting on a earthly throne, amongst mortal humans.

The Lords going to destroy them as a potter rules over his clay (Destruction)

Revelation 2:27KJV
27 And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.
Didn’t you say that there was no millennium? Revelation tells us that there will be a millennium and Jesus and the martyrs from the great trib will rule with a rod of iron in it.

Yes..He will be ruling over mortals on the earth after the tribulation.

Jun 11, 2020
There will be no Millennium,Jesus returns in fire and Final judgement, dissolving the heavens and earth

Luke 17:29-30KJV
29 But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.
30 Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.

Rule them with a rod of iron?

Not sitting on a earthly throne, amongst mortal humans.

The Lords going to destroy them as a potter rules over his clay (Destruction)

Revelation 2:27KJV
27 And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.
Take time off and do a word study on the word "destroy". You'll soon see that it does not mean what you indicate. Here's a hint. If a ship sinks, we say; "It is destroyed". But is it still a ship? Here's another. The world "that was" before the flood, was destroyed by the flood. How could Noah step out onto it again? (2nd Pet.3:6)

He will rule on the earth (Dan.2:35). The prophets predict it, and Zechariah 14:16 says that the surviving ENEMIES of Armageddon must go up to Jerusalem annually to worship Him. Crushing a clay pot is not annihilating it. It is changing its form. The earth is given to the meek and the Lord is the meekest. The earth is made by the Lord Jesus FOR Himself. He is heir to ALL. Man is made to rule the earth (Gen.1:26-28).

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
Didn’t you say that there was no millennium? Revelation tells us that there will be a millennium and Jesus and the martyrs from the great trib will rule with a rod of iron in it.

Yes..He will be ruling over mortals on the earth after the tribulation.
Jesus Christ returns in fire and Final judgement, dissolving the heavens and earth by fire.

There will be no Millennium on the earth, a false claim.

1 Corinthians 3:13KJV
13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

Malachi 3:2KJV
2 But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap:

2 Thessalonians 1:7-8KJV
7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

Luke 17:28-30KJV
28 Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded;
29 But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.

2 Peter 3:10-13KJV
10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Truth7t7: Jesus Christ, My Lord And Savior, Amen!

Lisamn

Dec 29, 2020
Jesus Christ returns in fire and Final judgement, dissolving the heavens and earth by fire.

There will be no Millennium on the earth, a false claim.

1 Corinthians 3:13KJV
13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

Malachi 3:2KJV
2 But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap:

2 Thessalonians 1:7-8KJV
7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

Luke 17:28-30KJV
28 Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded;

2 Peter 3:10-13KJV
10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Truth7t7: Jesus Christ, My Lord And Savior, Amen!
The verses in Revelation that I posted say otherwise. That there will be a millennium. That Jesus will rule with the martyred saints and He will rule with a rod of iron.

All the verses you’ve quoted besides 2 Peter have nothing to do with anything you’re talking about.

2 Peter talks about the end and talks about the new age..with a new heaven and new earth yet leaves out that there will be a millennium in between. Jesus’ second coming and the new heaven’s and new earth.

You should really look at the verses in Revelation again as they speak quite clearly of a 1000 years reign of Jesus. You shouldn’t just forget about or leave out verses you don’t like and that messes up your own beliefs. It’s clear in the Bible that there will be a millennial reign of Jesus.

presidente

May 29, 2013
The 5th commandment as I already explained.
You posted some words, but I do not see how those present any logical connection between honor your father and mother and the idea of there being such a thing as 'outside time'.

The underlying thoughts and evidence of beliefs in that is evidenced today by Judaism's continued existence.
How is Judaism's existence Biblical evidence for the concept of their being an 'outside of time.'

The same beliefs are also evidenced in far east as well as near eastern beliefs albeit not in Judaism but in Christianity.
What same beliefs?

presidente

May 29, 2013
Well why don't you tell me how many years are in eternity? Time is a construct for man not for God.
'How many years' implies time, not the physics or science-apologetics idea idea of there being space with no time.

That word translated 'eternity' is also translated as 'forever' which implies time that goes on and on and on. Forever and 'outside time' are not the same concept. If time keeps going on and on forward or backward, there time exists.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
You posted some words, but I do not see how those present any logical connection between honor your father and mother and the idea of there being such a thing as 'outside time'.

How is Judaism's existence Biblical evidence for the concept of their being an 'outside of time.'

What same beliefs?
The whole concept of God being in time as well as outside of time and worship needing to be many generations long to even start to be appropriate.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
'How many years' implies time, not the physics or science-apologetics idea idea of there being space with no time.

That word translated 'eternity' is also translated as 'forever' which implies time that goes on and on and on. Forever and 'outside time' are not the same concept. If time keeps going on and on forward or backward, there time exists.
Do you believe that God is omniscience? God is never surprised and knows everything from beginning to end. How can God know the future with exact precision and be limited by time?

Actually God occupies all of time all of the time. Past, present and future God is there all the time. There is no way to explain this characteristic of God except in terms to which man can relate. Without time man cannot comprehend eternity past or eternity future. God is without beginning and without end.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
Revelation says otherwise, speaking of the Millennium 6 times.
Revelation 20:1-6 speaks nothing about a physical kingdom on earth, with mortal humans present

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
Revelation 20:1-6 speaks nothing about a physical kingdom on earth, with mortal humans present
That would come from Revelation 19 where "rule" of the nations is in the future tense meaning it isn't happening at Armageddon but at a later time. That of of iron rule is what the thousand years/Millennium is. Revelation 2 also says the ruling is on the Earth.