"The rich man And Lazarus..."

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 31, 2021
Well we are on page 20 and your comment would hold weight if anyone had proved this isn't a parable. Carry on.
It has been proven. You just have your eyes and ears closed. Very tightly.

Your mind has already been made up so you don't want any facts.

Jan 31, 2021
true, and the word perish means “destroy utterly” as opposed to those who have everlasting life who are not destroyed in any way. The unsaved are destroyed body, soul, and spirit. If anything remains of the unsaved then they weren’t utterly destroyed.

“Fear Him who is able to destroy body and soul in hell…” because that’s the alternative to everlasting life.
Your claim has not been verified by ANY Scripture.

Being "able to" doesn't mean "will". Why can't you comprehend that?

Jan 31, 2021
Matthew 26:39
And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.
Matthew 26:42
He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.
Revelation 14:10
The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:
Luke 22:44
And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

Jesus drank the cup of the wrath of God.
Jesus took the sin penalty of mankind. He took God's justice poured out on Him rather than on mankind.

Sorry you didn't know that.

Jan 31, 2021
FreeGrace2 said:
Further, Jesus told the believing thief on the cross that he would be WITH Jesus that day in Paradise! Which is where Abraham was.
Verse in question:
Luke 23:43
43 And Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.”

What you probably don't know (my assumption). Greek has no punctuation.
Yes, I know that.

This is another example of translator bias to fit the grammar with their preconceived theological position.

You can translate this verse two ways and both would be technically correct grammatically:

1. And Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.”
2. And Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you today, you will be with Me in Paradise.”

The difference is the placement of the comma. If like many translations you place the comma before the word today, then when we read it in English is sounds like Jesus is promising the thief that on that very day 2,000 years ago the thief would be with him in paradise on that very day.

If however, you place the comma after the word today, then Jesus is promising the thief on that day 2,000 years ago that the thief WILL BE (future) with Him in Paradise.
I think your point is just pointless. Because when Jesus told the thief that, it WOULD BE future when the thief would be with Jesus.

[QUOT4E]Second problem is your understanding of the word Paradise; it means a lush garden.[/QUOTE]
So Jesus was just interested in planting some flowers some day, with the thief, huh. That is absurd.

G3857 matches the Greek παράδεισος (paradeisos),

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lexicon/g3857/kjv/tr/0-1/

Gen2:8
And the LORD God planted a garden (paradeisos) eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.

Gen 3:24
So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden (paradeisos) of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

Ez 28:13
Thou hast been in Eden the garden (paradeisos) of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.

Rev 2:7
He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise (paradesisos) of God.

The tree of life was here on earth in which Adam was kicked out from least he eat and live forever. The paradise (Garden) of God is in the future Kingdom where it grow 12 fruits, one for each month in Jerusalem (Ez 47:1-12 ->Rev 22:1-3)

Third, the context of the promise made to the thief is based upon the thief's knowledge of the future kingdom, “Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom.” The thief wasn't talking about ascending to heaven upon death; he was speaking of Christ second coming and the resurrection of the dead.
Here's the deal though. Yes, the thief did know that Jesus was Messiah and would have a FUTURE reign on earth. Yet, Jesus told him that he would be with Jesus "today". I don't care a bit about where you put a comma, since the Greeks didn't even use them.

So just read the sentence without any comma and it becomes clear what Jesus meant.

Hope this helps, helped me a lot when someone explained it to me.
I'm real curious what you think Jesus was referring to by "Paradise"?

Jan 31, 2021
par·a·ble
[ˈperəb(ə)l]

NOUN
parables (plural noun)

1. a simple story used to illustrate a moral or spiritual lesson, as told by Jesus in the Gospels
And there is no spiritual or moral lesson for any living person to follow in the account of Laz and the rich man

Unless you can explain what the moral or spiritual lesson is.

Sep 19, 2022
FreeGrace2 said:
Further, Jesus told the believing thief on the cross that he would be WITH Jesus that day in Paradise! Which is where Abraham was.

Yes, I know that.

I think your point is just pointless. Because when Jesus told the thief that, it WOULD BE future when the thief would be with Jesus.

[QUOT4E]Second problem is your understanding of the word Paradise; it means a lush garden.
So Jesus was just interested in planting some flowers some day, with the thief, huh. That is absurd.

Here's the deal though. Yes, the thief did know that Jesus was Messiah and would have a FUTURE reign on earth. Yet, Jesus told him that he would be with Jesus "today". I don't care a bit about where you put a comma, since the Greeks didn't even use them.

So just read the sentence without any comma and it becomes clear what Jesus meant.

I'm real curious what you think Jesus was referring to by "Paradise"?[/QUOTE]
I give you grammatical exegesis to your argument and you respond back without a proper rebuttal to what I said (in fact you mock and call it absurd); that isn't how to conduct a conversation towards biblical truth.

Jesus promised the thief on THAT DAY 2,000 years that the thief would be in the Garden (paradeisos) of God. Jesus didn't say he would be in the Garden on that very day.

1. I promise you today (9/20/22), you will be with me in the Garden of God. <- Making the declaration of promise on that day, but the fulfillment of the promise is in the future when Christ comes into His Kingdom (Luke 23:42).

versus

2. I promise you, today (9/20/22) you will be with me in the Garden of God. <- Fulfilling that declaration on that very day in which the promise was made; that is, immediately after death on the cross.

The point is, if you read your OT and your understanding of death is that you are unconscious without knowledge, that is, you are asleep. Then how you understand the thief on the cross passage would be that the thief would be dead and buried in a grave like all others and is awaiting the resurrection so that they may have access to the trees of life in the Garden (paradeisos) of God.

Like all others who have died and are buried and have not ascended to heaven including David:

Acts 2:29-34
29 “Men and brethren, let me speak freely to you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his tomb is with us to this day. 30 Therefore, being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him that of the fruit of his body, according to the flesh, He would raise up the Christ to sit on his throne, 31 he, foreseeing this, spoke concerning the resurrection of the Christ, that His soul was not left in Hades, nor did His flesh see corruption. 32 This Jesus God has raised up, of which we are all witnesses. 33 Therefore being exalted [j]to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He poured out this which you now see and hear.

34 “For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he says himself:

You also say you want to know what I think Jesus is referring to when he says Paradise; when I literally give you the Greek word and a link to the word on a website so that, you can look at the how the word is used throughout scripture and you can see what the word means and how it is applied. Did you not even read what the word Paradise means?

Let me repeat what I said:

The word Paradise; it means a lush garden.

G3857 matches the Greek παράδεισος (paradeisos),

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lexicon/g3857/kjv/tr/0-1/
https://www.blueletterbible.org/lexicon/g3857/lxx/lxx/0-1/

Gen2:8
And the LORD God planted a garden (paradeisos) eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.

Gen 3:22-24
22 Then the Lord God said, “Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil. And now, lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever”— 23 therefore the Lord God sent him out of the garden (paradeisos) of Eden to till the ground from which he was taken. 24 So He drove out the man; and He placed cherubim at the east of the garden (paradeisos) of Eden, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to guard the way to the tree of life.

Ez 28:13
Thou hast been in Eden the garden (paradeisos) of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.

Isaiah 51:3
καὶ σὲ νῦν παρακαλέσω Σιων καὶ παρεκάλεσα πάντα τὰ ἔρημα αὐτῆς καὶ θήσω τὰ ἔρημα αὐτῆς ὡς παράδεισον G3857 κυρίου εὐφροσύνην καὶ ἀγαλλίαμα εὑρήσουσιν ἐν αὐτῇ ἐξομολόγησιν καὶ φωνὴν αἰνέσεως

Isaiah 51:3

3 For the Lord will comfort Zion (Jerusaelm),
He will comfort all her waste places;
He will make her wilderness like Eden,
And her desert like the garden of the Lord;
Joy and gladness will be found in it,
Thanksgiving and the voice of melody.

Rev 2:7
He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise (paradesisos) of God.

What was the Garden (paradesios) of God that every Jew including Jesus knew about, read your OT; it's clear as day. The Garden of God is in the future kingdom when He sets up his throne in Jerusalem (Zion). We cannot have access to it UNITL He returns and all are resurrected, therefore, the thief is not in the Garden (paradesisos) of God yet, because Christ has not yet returned.

The tree of life was here on earth in which Adam was kicked out from least he eat and live forever (Gen 3:22-24). The paradise (Garden) of God is in the future Kingdom where it grows 12 fruits, one for each month in Jerusalem (Ez 47:1-12 ->Rev 22:1-3). We are dependent on eating from the tree of life in order to live forever; just like Adam was, but he was kicked out and then saw death.

To have access to the tree of life which is in the Garden (paradesisos) of God, we must be resurrected from the dead and given access to it, which if we are in Christ; He will give use access to it (Rev 2:7).

Bible translator do a disservice of transliterating the word from paradesisos (Greek) to Paradise (English) instead of translating the meaning of the word from paradesisos (which mean a garden) to its equivalent Garden (English).

If they actually translated the word instead of transliterating it, Luke would read:

43 And Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in the Garden.”

or in Revelation 2:7:

7 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life, which is in the midst of the Garden of God.” ’

Sep 19, 2022
And there is no spiritual or moral lesson for any living person to follow in the account of Laz and the rich man

The parable was written to a Jewish audience and was a prophesy of the coming destruction Jerusalem and the Levitical priesthood:

A. An allegory about Jesus (Lazarus) and the destruction of Jerusalem & Priesthood (The Rich Man)
1. All of the elements of this allegory/parable are drawn from four OT prophecies, all of which prophesy the destruction of Jerusalem & the priesthood in AD70.
a. Deut. 31:28-30; 32:5,15-29
b. Isaiah 28:1-19; 29:1-14
c. Isaiah 50:6-11
d. Mal. 1:6 – 3:5

B. The Rich Man and Lazarus (Luke 16:19-31)
1. A allegory/parable, not literal history. One of the earliest manuscripts, Codex Bezae (5th century, Italy), begins vs. 19 as follows: Ειπεν δέ και ετεραν παραβολην – "But He spoke also another parable, ..."
a. The last in a series of parables spoken to the Jewish leadership. (compare Lk. 16:1)

2. The “Rich Man” – the apostate Jewish Priesthood – Levites
a. Justified themselves (Luke 16:15 / Mal. 1:6; 2:14,17; 3:8,13)
b. Improperly divorced wives and remarried (Luke 16:18 / Mal. 2:13-16)
c. “Lovers of money” (Luke 16:14) who had “robbed God” (Mal. 3:8-10).
d. Dressed in purple and fine linen
1. “Purple” was the clothing of kings (Mark 15:17).
2. “Fine linen” was the clothing of priests (Ex. 39:27-29).
3. The Hasmonean Dynasty (from the Maccabees) were “priest-kings,” and continued to rule under Herod the Great.

3. “Lazarus” – Jesus Christ, Greek form of the Hebrew “E’leazar,” means “God is My Help.”
a. A term applied to Jesus several times: (Psalm 22:16-19; Psalm 40:6-17)
b. The name “Lazarus” was drawn directly from Isaiah’s prophecy of Jesus and the destruction of the Levitical priesthood (Isaiah 50:6-7).
4. He came as a “poor beggar,” born in a stable, homeless, dependent on support of others.
a. Luke 9:58; 2 Cor. 8:9
5. Full of “sores” – bearing our diseases and infirmities (Matt. 8:16-17; Isaiah 53:4-5 LXX)
6. The “dogs” – the Gentiles (Matt. 15:22-28)
7. Desiring to eat the crumbs (as a Man, humble food)
8. The beggar died – the crucifixion of Christ.
9. Carried by the angels – His bodily ascension into heaven (Acts 1:9-11, cf. Matt. 24:31)
10. Abraham’s Bosom – The ‘Seed’ of the Abrahamic Covenant
a. A term used in Gen. 16:5 for Abraham’s intimacy with his wife to produce an heir.
b. Lazarus in “Abraham’s bosom” shows that He (Jesus) is the promised Seed.
11. The rich man died afterwards – the destruction of Jerusalem 40 years later in AD 70
a. Priesthood demolished – Deut. 32:19-22; Isaiah 28-29; Isaiah 50:11; Mal. 1:6 – 3:12
12. “In Hades” – refers to the priesthood in exile from the Land & Temple. a. “Hades” is the “grave” of humanity (Num. 16:33; 1 Kings 2:9; Ezek. 32:27; 1 Cor. 15:55).
b. The unfaithful priesthood punished in “Hades” (Deut. 32:19-22; Isa. 28:15,18; 29:4).
13. Tormented in the flames – God’s wrath (Deut. 32:19-22; Isa. 50:11; Mal. 3:2-3).
14. Send Lazarus to bring relief – Send the Messiah to restore Israel (Hosannah – “save now”)
15. The Great Gulf – the blindness imposed on Israel (Isa. 6:9-13; Matt. 13:10-15; Rom. 11:7-10).
16. Five Brothers – the other 5 tribes of Israel from the same mother – Leah
a. Levi had 5 brothers: Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Judah, Issachar, Zebulun (Gen. 30).
17. If they will not hear Moses, they will not hear the One who rose from the dead – Jesus.
a. No sign would be given to that wicked generation (Mark 8:11-12). (sign of Johan)
b. Jesus refused to show Himself resurrected to unbelievers (Jn. 14:19-20; 1 Cor. 15:3-8)

Saul-to-Paul

Jun 5, 2017
Enlarging font size doesn't do anything; I can read. Why do you refuse to address/harmonize all scriptures beginning in the OT. Don't be selective.

From bible program:

AndG2532 inG1722 hellG86 he lift upG1869 hisG848 eyes,G3788 beingG5225 inG1722 torments,G931 and seethG3708 AbrahamG11 afar off,G575 G3113 andG2532 LazarusG2976 inG1722 hisG846 bosom.G2859

What does hellG86 actually mean as defined by the bible. First start in the OT, then move into the NT.

Hell/sheol/hades, all have the same meaning which is the pit or the grave; the place of the dead. This isn't just made through my own consciousness, other people have done the work and we have the luxury of opening free bible programs and looking it up.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lexicon/g86/kjv/lxx/0-1/#lexResults

Isaiah 50:5-9, speaking of Christ:

The Lord God has opened My ear;
And I was not rebellious,
Nor did I turn away.
6 I gave My back to those who struck Me,
And My cheeks to those who plucked out the beard;
I did not hide My face from shame and spitting.

7 “For the Lord God will help Me (the meaning of Lazarus);
Therefore I will not be disgraced;
Therefore I have set My face like a flint,
And I know that I will not be ashamed.
8 He is near who justifies Me;
Who will contend with Me?
Let us stand together.
Who is [a]My adversary?
Let him come near Me.
9 Surely the Lord God will help Me (Lazarus);
Who is he who will condemn Me?
Indeed they will all grow old like a garment;
The moth will eat them up.

Isaiah 38:10,11, 17,18
I said,
“In the prime of my life
I shall go to the gates of Sheol;
I am deprived of the remainder of my years.”
11 I said,
“I shall not see Yah,
The Lord in the land of the living;
I shall observe man no more [c]among the inhabitants of [d]the world.

Indeed it was for my own peace
That I had great bitterness;
But You have lovingly delivered my soul from the pit of corruption,
For You have cast all my sins behind Your back.
18 For Sheol cannot thank You,
Death cannot praise You;
Those who go down to the pit cannot hope for Your truth.

I'm not trying to be rude, but you cannot have a strict literal reading at all times; you need to allow the writer whether that is the prophets, Jesus, or the apostles to use various literary styles of writing, which could be literal, metaphor, hyperbole, Hebrew Parallelism, poetry, allegory, parable etc.

When Jesus says "I am the door"(John 10:9), does that mean he is two pieces of plywood slapped together; of course not.

Was Abel's voice literally crying out from the ground; or is it being used as a metaphor?

Genesis 4:9-10
9 Then the Lord said to Cain, “Where is Abel your brother?”
He said, “I do not know. Am I my brother’s keeper?”
10 And He said, “What have you done? The voice of your brother’s blood cries out to Me from the ground.

You need to define terms in the OT first before you try and interpret the NT. What is the fire of god; how is it described in the bible:

Jer 4:4
Circumcise yourselves to the Lord,
And take away the foreskins of your hearts,
You men of Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem,
Lest My fury come forth like fire,
And burn so that no one can quench it,
Because of the evil of your doings.”

Jer7:31-33
31 And they have built the high places of Tophet, which is in the Valley of the Son of Hinnom, to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire, which I did not command, nor did it come into My heart.

32 “Therefore behold, the days are coming,” says the Lord, “when it will no more be called Tophet, or the Valley of the Son of Hinnom, but the Valley of Slaughter; for they will bury in Tophet until there is no room. 33 The corpses of this people will be food for the birds of the heaven and for the beasts of the earth. And no one will frighten them away.

Jeremiah 17:27

27 “But if you will not heed Me to hallow the Sabbath day, such as not carrying a burden when entering the gates of Jerusalem on the Sabbath day, then I will kindle a fire in its gates, and it shall devour the palaces of Jerusalem, and it shall not be quenched.” ’

Jude 7

7 as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities around them in a similar manner to these, having given themselves over to sexual immorality and gone after strange flesh, are set forth as an example, suffering the [a]vengeance of eternal fire.

Question, is Sodom and Gomorrah still burning today? Can you fly over there and see the city still burning, no. So then what does "eternal fire" or "fire that cannot be quenched" actually mean? It means to be consumed, turned to ash, turned to nothingness, and it will not be stopped; it is permanent.

1 Kings 18:38, the fire from God, isn't the same as human concept of fire that goes up; the fire of God comes down and it burns up everything, even the stones. These examples are for our learning to understand what this things mean.

Then the fire of the Lord fell and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood and the stones and the dust, and it licked up the water that was in the trench. 39 Now when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces; and they said, “The Lord, He is God! The Lord, He is God!”

We cannot just ignore everything described in the OT and selectively choose to apply it when it favors our beliefs and ignore it when it doesn't. I will say it again, if you don't understand the terminology that is defined in the OT or the OT prophesies before coming to the NT, then you will not understand the parable of the Rich man and all the symbolize Jesus uses to his Jewish audience (who were saturated in the OT). I was one of those people who filled my beliefs with assumptions because I didn't have the background knowledge until someone pointed it out to me.
Please read post# 388. Thank you.
That cup is not the grave.

Saul-to-Paul

Jun 5, 2017
Never said, nor suggested Samuel wasn't saved.

Only that the physically dead were held in Hades/Sheol and conscious. The unsaved dead remain in Hades/Sheol. The saved dead, and those who have died since Jesus' Resurrection, are with Him now.

Precisely what you have asked for. The unsaved dead, held in Hades/Sheol, speaking.

Isaiah 14:9-11

New King James Version

9 “Hell (SHEOL/HADES) from beneath is excited about you,
To meet you at your coming;
It stirs up the dead for you,
All the chief ones of the earth;
It has raised up from their thrones
All the kings of the nations.
10 They all shall speak and say to you:
‘Have you also become as weak as we?
Have you become like us?
11 Your pomp is brought down to Sheol,
And the sound of your stringed instruments;
The maggot is spread under you,
And worms cover you.’
Now find an unsaved person wearing purple and fine linen.

Saul-to-Paul

Jun 5, 2017
If the narrative doesn't fit you must acquit.

Jesus clearly told the Pharisees that their father is the devil.

John 8:44
Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

If this rich man is a picture or real Pharisee in hell, the grave, whatever. Abraham would have said I'm not your father.
The unsaved will never ask for mercy.

Jan 31, 2021
I said:
"So Jesus was just interested in planting some flowers some day, with the thief, huh. That is absurd.

I'm real curious what you think Jesus was referring to by "Paradise"?"
I give you grammatical exegesis to your argument and you respond back without a proper rebuttal to what I said (in fact you mock and call it absurd)
I did lots more. I showed WHY it was absurd. Don't you read all of my posts?

that isn't how to conduct a conversation towards biblical truth.
Who says you have truth? I showed why your exegesis is absurd. We DON'T know where Dr Luke meant the pause to be, because he didn't use grammatical marks. Doesn't matter. The natural reading is pausing after "Assuredly I say to you". Why would Jesus make a point of the day He was saying that? Which is what your preferred way is.

What we KNOW is that Jesus WENT to Paradise THAT DAY. You can't argue otherwise. So it only makes perfect sense that there would be a comma after "you" in the phrase "assuredly I say to you".

Jesus promised the thief on THAT DAY 2,000 years that the thief would be in the Garden (paradeisos) of God. Jesus didn't say he would be in the Garden on that very day.
Jesus said "with ME". Are you not paying attention?

1. I promise you today (9/20/22), you will be with me in the Garden of God. <- Making the declaration of promise on that day, but the fulfillment of the promise is in the future when Christ comes into His Kingdom (Luke 23:42).
Not even close to reality.

versus

2. I promise you, today (9/20/22) you will be with me in the Garden of God. <- Fulfilling that declaration on that very day in which the promise was made; that is, immediately after death on the cross.[/QUOTE]
This makes more sense.

The point is, if you read your OT and your understanding of death is that you are unconscious without knowledge, that is, you are asleep.
OK, so you are one of the "soul sleepers". I reject that because the Bible uses "sleep" for physical death. iow, the body isn't conscious.

Read John 11 and the other Lazarus. Jesus used "sleep" for physical death. Has nothing to do with souls sleeping.

Since you are one of the "soul sleepers", possibly an SDA, there is no reason to continue this discussion.

All that will happen is that you will insist all souls sleep at physical death, and that without any evidence, while I will SHOW you that souls are quite conscious after physical death.

Jan 31, 2021
FreeGrace2 said:

The parable was written to a Jewish audience and was a prophesy of the coming destruction Jerusalem and the Levitical priesthood:
OK. I guess you haven't bothered reading the account then. This isn't even close to anything that Jesus spoke about.

He spoke about 2 real human beings who died. One was saved and went to Paradise, which He called Abraham's Bosom, and the unsaved rich man went to the same Hades but another compartment called torments. And the rich man (though dead physically) had a conversation with another real man, also dead, Abraham, who conversed back to the rich man.

Jesus gave us a glimple of the afterlife in the OT. But of course you will protest because of your unbiblical view about soul sleep.

Saul-to-Paul

Jun 5, 2017
Who told you that souls become dead? The devil.
Ephesians 2:5
5Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) 6And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

Saul-to-Paul

Jun 5, 2017
FreeGrace2 said:

OK. I guess you haven't bothered reading the account then. This isn't even close to anything that Jesus spoke about.

He spoke about 2 real human beings who died. One was saved and went to Paradise, which He called Abraham's Bosom, and the unsaved rich man went to the same Hades but another compartment called torments. And the rich man (though dead physically) had a conversation with another real man, also dead, Abraham, who conversed back to the rich man.

Jesus gave us a glimple of the afterlife in the OT. But of course you will protest because of your unbiblical view about soul sleep.
Fact is the Bible is a Spiritual book. For you have a physical poor Christian at the gate of a unsaved Pharisee's home desiring the rich man's crumbs...............and you just leave at that

Doesn't fit the narrative of the Bible.

Saul-to-Paul

Jun 5, 2017
Ephesians 2:5
5Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)6And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
Genesis 2
But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

God told me souls die....not the devil.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Now find an unsaved person wearing purple and fine linen.
Just walk down any Minnesota street during football season!

But seriously, purple and fine linen is intended to convey just how wealthy the rich man was, especially in comparison to how poor Lazarus was.

That’s the whole purpose of describing his garments.

Mar 4, 2020
It has been proven but you remain oblivious.
No it's definitely not a parable. I proved it wasn't.

Actually, I have proved the Rich Man and Lazarus is a Parable or the Bible stands in contradiction of itself. I.e., there is no mention of a place of torment in Moses or the Prophets for the rich man and his family to have been aware of.

Since the Bible is error free, it's definitely a parable. You shouldn't be promoting otherwise.

Saul-to-Paul

Jun 5, 2017
The rich man and Lazarus is a parable.

Right before the rich man and Lazarus story the Pharisees were listening.

Luke 16:14
14 And the Pharisees also, who were covetous, heard all these things: and they derided him.

Jesus spoke to the Pharisees.

Luke 16:15
15 And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.

Matthew 13:34
Jesus spoke all these things to the crowd in parables; he did not say anything to them without using a parable.

Runningman did you point this out already?