The Road of Deliverance

  • Thread starter Thread starter J-Kay-2
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

J-Kay-2

Guest
I wrote a short testimony about quitting smoking in a
group. This is not the testimony, but a partial explanation.

Oh, at one time I would have been so super spiritual and been one
of the first to judge a Christian for smoking. As you can see I was
a smoker when I got saved in 1969. Then about 4 years later I was
able to quit for the Lord.

And you also see after serving Him diligently with my whole heart for
many years, I slipped out from under His covering, and allowed myself
to start again. Honestly I could not go to Church. I tried, but as a
smoker and slipping away from my 'first love' I felt like a hypocrite.
( I would not advise anyone to leave Church just for that reason ).

I came to my senses like the Prodigal Son and my Father began to work
on me and I was tired of the ways of the world. Cigarettes are one
of the hardest things for me to let go of. But, I explained I did it while
studying the Word and I kept drawing closer to Him even with the
cigarette. I could not continue and have a clear conscience.

I want to make it clear. I learned a lot during my 8 years in the world.
I learned I was not the 'super spiritual' better than anyone else like I
thought I was. I discovered how some of my favorite Christian entertainers
and speakers, can fall. I now know it takes God to keep loving us and
causing us to make the choice whom will we serve ? He said we can't
serve two masters at the same time. He was patient and helped me be
set free.

I believe when a Christian falls away from the Lord, for whatever reason,
and He brings us back into the fold, it takes time to get our feet planted
on solid ground. I do believe leaders or lay person, should not be put
in place of leadership until they have had time to become healed and
repent.

I read Sandi Patty "Broken In the Back Pew" ( Something like that.)
I was so blessed by her willingness to give God time to help her become
healed. So many of us have learned not to point fingers by our own
admission we too have fallen and been picked back up.

God is wonderfully loving and merciful. I owe Jesus my entire life and
I will be so glad when I can kneel at His feet and worship face to face.
~J~K~2

 
Learning not to be 'super-spiritual' equips the experienced Christian to come alongside other Christians who are discouraged or suffering.