The Sabbath was given to God's children.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
A few years ago, I took an 8-day guided tour of Israel. We arrived at a marvelous hotel right by the Dead Sea on Friday afternoon a couple of hours before the Jewish Sabbath would begin. I didn't think much about that until I decided to go down to the basement restaurant for dinner. I was staying on about the 28th floor. I got in the elevator and pushed the basement button, but it didn't work! After a couple of minutes it automatically descended to the 27th floor and stopped. But no one had pushed the button, and so, no one got on! After a couple of minutes, the door closed and I descended to the 26th floor. Once again, no one got on and the elevator waited for no reason for a couple of minutes! This happened on every floor all the way down. Eventually we reached a floor where a couple of other tourists got on. It seemed like an hour before we got to the basement floor. At first I was annoyed by these tedious delays, but then it hit me--this was the Sabbath and the Jews considered pushing an elevator button as doing work on the Sabbath! So the elevator was put on automatic to stop on every floor. Sheesh! When I finally got the basement restaurant, there was a long buffet with all kinds of meats and other foods. So like a fool, I searched for sausage, bacon, ham, or pork chops among the buffet items. Then it dawned on me. Israelis don't compromise on their Sabbath laws for naïve demanding Gentile tourists! I giggled at how slowly this realization dawned on me!

When our tour bus finally left the Dead Sea area the next morning for Jerusalem, it was of course still the Sabbath. As we drove by a Jerusalem suburb, I was amazed to see hundred so people walking, apparently long distances to synagogue service. No cars anywhere in sight in that suburb. Thank goodness our bypass road was available for us tourists. Many conservative Jews consider driving a car ib the Sabbath to be work. I wondered where the various lines were drawn among various religious Jews on what was and was not deemed to be working on the Sabbath.
My daughter is going to Israel soon for a church led tour. I think she will be there for a week.

We have been trying to plan to go together but I keep getting busy or other things come up and I have to delay.

So I told here she should just go and then we would go together sometime in the future.

I think it will take her just as long as you to figure out what is going on over there on sabbath days... Unless it is pointed out by someone in the tour...

UnitedWithChrist

Aug 12, 2019
I miss RachelBibleStudent.

She was really good.

I miss iamsoandso too. Haven't seen him around in awhile.

All the Judaizers and legalists I don't really miss that much. Except Laodicea and gotime. They were SDA's but they were really polite, even when I was super sarcastic and harsh with them. I always tried to be a little less sarcastic and harsh with them because they seemed so nice. But still get the point across.
You don't seem like the harsh/sarcastic sort.

I am familiar with RachelBibleStudent. She could be anti-Reformed so I wouldn't agree with her on that. I suspect she was perhaps a little autistic.

She could be entertaining though :)

I agreed with her on a lot of things.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
You don't seem like the harsh/sarcastic sort.

I am familiar with RachelBibleStudent. She could be anti-Reformed so I wouldn't agree with her on that. I suspect she was perhaps a little autistic.

She could be entertaining though :)
I agreed with her on a lot of things.
I try not to be harsh or too sarcastic. But when blind people argue with you over the color of rainbows it is hard to not get a little harsh or a little sarcastic.