The same

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
W

Wendi4526

Hi is listening to audio bible and reading the bible the same 2 you?? R is one better then the other?

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
Well I don't think they are the same. If you're listening and a scripture strikes you, you have to press pause, rewind and play again and repeat.

Corbinscam

Jul 17, 2016
I listen to audio a lot but they're definitely not the same. I retain more when I read. I listen when I can't read. And need my head filled with something that isn't trash.

W

Wendi4526

Yes true listening to john16 and had to replay it

W

Wendi4526

I dont understand the bible when i read it and i cant understand why when im a BIG reader

Desertsrose

Oct 24, 2016
I dont understand the bible when i read it and i cant understand why when im a BIG reader
Hi Wendy,

Maybe you need to read in small bits for now? Are you young in the Lord?

This happened when I first became born-again. What I would do is copy scriptures into a note book. That seemed to help me get God's word into me and the process of writing it out was extremely helpful to understand more and more.

The best way I have found to remember and understand what I'm reading is to get into a really good bible study where you dig for truth. There are online studies if you're interested.

W

Wendi4526

Yes very young in the lord not even a week but im filling good

Desertsrose

Oct 24, 2016
Wow Wendy!

No wonder you're not understanding it. Praise the Lord you've been born again!!!

It was all Greek to me when I was first born again. Keep at it and you'll learn. Are you in a church group?

images.jpeg

Last edited:

graceNpeace

Aug 12, 2016
Luke 15:8-10
[FONT=&quot]8 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Or what woman, having ten silver coins,[a] if she loses one coin, does not light a lamp, sweep the house, and search carefully until she finds it?[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]9 A[/FONT][FONT=&quot]nd when she has found it, she calls her friends and neighbors together, saying, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found the piece which I lost!’[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]10 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]”[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

There is rejoicing in heaven sister!
Just for you!

Hang in there with the reading, sister!
Just remember you have to learn a whole new vocabulary and understand, a bit at least, of the culture of the times.

The Gospel of John is very readable in the sense that John uses a limited vocabulary in his discourses, however, the concepts that he describes can be a bit daunting to those who are new to the faith!
Perhaps the Gospel of Matthew, or even Luke may be a better starting point and then one can return to the Gospel of John after a few weeks.
Just bear in mind that some of what John talks about trips up much more mature believers than you![/FONT]

W

Wendi4526

Ok will do. thank you some one is this group said start in john.I was thinking start from the first page

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
Hi is listening to audio bible and reading the bible the same 2 you?? R is one better then the other?

The Word of God is not a layer of papers with writing on them wrapped in leather. The Word is the meaning, and if you can get the same meaning from audio, electronic texts, etc., then you are getting fed God's Word. God says He will write His Word on our hearts and minds- that's not literal, neither is a leather bound book. God's Word is not inked letters.

I knew a lady once who kept a Bible in her car so that she wouldn't get in an accident. The Bible is not a relic or an idol, or a good luck charm, it is just one of many forms to teach us what God wants us to know.

Last edited:

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
Ok will do. thank you some one is this group said start in john.I was thinking start from the first page
Welcome to the family :)
Make sure you don't be afraid to ask questions. There's things in John that people may find offensive due to a lack of understanding, for eg Jesus saying to drink His blood and eat His flesh.

This is the greatest thing you could ever do, not the easiest, but the best :)

Dec 19, 2009
When you read the Bible, you can easily go back and reread a passage, if you wish. You can stop and take notes, also.

Feb 7, 2015
Wendy, don't let yourself become discouraged with either the reading or all the various brands of foolishness you will see on here. It DOES finally begin to settle out.

Dec 12, 2013
Do both..........read while you have your coffee/breakfast and then 30 min before you go to bed.....

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
When you read the Bible, you can easily go back and reread a passage, if you wish. You can stop and take notes, also.
i think the big difference is that when you read, you read at your own pace. but when you listen, you listen at the pace of whoever is reading it - and they probably go pretty fast, especially for something you so often, so need to stop and think about so much!

W

Wendi4526

Yes agree i just listened to matthew

Gabriel2020

May 6, 2017
If you have not received the Holy Ghost yet, you will not receive knowledge and the truth of God's word. it is what gives you understanding as it teaches you God's word in your heart. First thing first.

Feb 7, 2015
i think the big difference is that when you read, you read at your own pace. but when you listen, you listen at the pace of whoever is reading it - and they probably go pretty fast, especially for something you so often, so need to stop and think about so much!

Yes, I feel an audio Bible is mainly just so you can say you got through the books. There is little study or learning involved.