The strange things you find doing bible research....

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Sorry to interupt. Just have a quick question. Is there a difference between the "Abyss" and Hell?
There may be, I mean hades and hell in the bible are sometimes spoken of as the same thing and in other parts their separate.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Although I haven't studied it in depth, I was always taught that there was a "waiting place", which has been called Paradise, and, I think, Gehenna. Jesus told the thief on the cross, today you will be with me in Paradise.... the other thief? Apparently not...
It appears from at least that, and one other scripture that the waiting place is divided, good and bad... read about the rich man/poor man and "Abraham's bosom", and the great chasm between the two places..
This was obviously before the final judgement, which I believe is yet to come, for all of us.

W

wwjd_kilden

Well, first of it seems that the antichrist isn't A person, it is any person that denies Christ

1 John 2:22 - Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.
2 John 1:7 - For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist

and notice

1 John 4:3 - And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that [spirit] of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

1 John 2:18 - Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

R

RobbyEarl

Although I haven't studied it in depth, I was always taught that there was a "waiting place", which has been called Paradise, and, I think, Gehenna. Jesus told the thief on the cross, today you will be with me in Paradise.... the other thief? Apparently not...
It appears from at least that, and one other scripture that the waiting place is divided, good and bad... read about the rich man/poor man and "Abraham's bosom", and the great chasm between the two places..
This was obviously before the final judgement, which I believe is yet to come, for all of us.
The waiting place so you say was called Paradise and Jesus did say to the thief "Today you will be with Me in Paradise". In the OT Satan still had dominion over man and held them captive. It was often referred to as SHEOL. From the Psalms can I praise you from SHEOL. This is why Jesus said I have come to preach the Gospel to the poor and to take captive the captivity. When Jesus died on the cross He went to Paradise and preached the Gospel to the OT saints and set them free. After that Hell enlarged itself. How do you think the medium was able to raise Samuel to speak to Saul.

J

jaybird88

i dont think obama is the antichrist. i think he is a scumbag, but is he really any worse than most the other presidents before him?

R

RobbyEarl

i dont think obama is the antichrist. i think he is a scumbag, but is he really any worse than most the other presidents before him?
Obama is not smart enough to be the Anti Christ.

J

jaybird88

Obama is not smart enough to be the Anti Christ.
i dont think he is stupid. these guys are always portrayed as bumbling fools that cant help themselves when they set policies that upset and hurt so many. but if you study the history of these people their policies are always the same, they benefit the few at the expense of the many. they are not stupid, they know exactly what they are doing.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
i dont think he is stupid. these guys are always portrayed as bumbling fools that cant help themselves when they set policies that upset and hurt so many. but if you study the history of these people their policies are always the same, they benefit the few at the expense of the many. they are not stupid, they know exactly what they are doing.
Sometimes it seems like they are just puppets, being manipulated by some unseen hands. Money, no doubt. Power. The very thing the outgoing president warned of in the late fifties or early sixties, sometime around JFK but not him, has come to pass. We have freedom of information laws but they are always hiding as much as they can from us while they pry into our business as much as they want. It strikes me as strange that these are the people that we the people elect to office to serve us. What goes wrong? Power corrupts.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
I think scumbag is not fitting for a believer to call someone, Jesus said to love our enemies and to even pray for them.

U

Ultimatum77

Hi brother! Not a whole lot. The weekend is brewing on the horizon though. So that's good. I'm researching world mythologies so I can write about how they point back to the truth of the Book of Genesis. I pray you're well.
I'm guessing your going to talk about Noah's Flood? There is a wealth of information about it in different cultures all the way from Babylon/Sumeria Epic of Gilgamesh, to hinduism's story of manu and the flood.

T

Tintin

I'm guessing your going to talk about Noah's Flood? There is a wealth of information about it in different cultures all the way from Babylon/Sumeria Epic of Gilgamesh, to hinduism's story of manu and the flood.
Mainly, yes. But my article will also reference Creation and The Fall. I don't have much room (I only have 1,500 words), so I'll briefly reference Sumerian mythology and then spend the rest of the time talking about Hinduism, Aboriginal mythology, Greek mythology (and perhaps even some Norse mythology) and how they all point back to real historical events recorded in the Bible.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Not really. You just posted six or so things about birthing in a row. It was a bit much.
I see. It was really 5 posts, and would have been 4 if i finished the last info on the anthropological aspects of childbirth fr chap. 17 in one sitting. Have you seen pahu's thread on Science disproves evolution? It is more than 1000 pp, and well i only saw abt 10 long posts in a row on the subject near the last pp, for it is impossible to read all of it...

So it was a bit much.. and it was just the intro=). So it is. I first thought to share a little on this the past mos.in some thread if something was mentioned of it, but i never saw anything. It would have been interesting if the writings were accessible online, for did i say i was relying on handwritten notes from the 1st ed. I understand the book has had its 5th edition, and there must be a reason, esp if it has helped many, many parents, not just mothers. I have given my copy to my old doctor long ago, thinking it was such a blessing every mother, father, doctor, teacher, preacher should be able to see what a mother/writer who has undergone orthodox (medically assisted) childbirth before she learned abt natural, and she calls biblical, childbirth was, after much research and personal experience.

Frankly, i can read my own notes, but deciphering and typing old shorthand notes for others on the next chapter on the theology of natural childbirth is just the 'gem' of the strange things found studying this. There was the option of simply posting passages w/ a short explanation as others have doen here, but then i knew if someone asked, i might nt be able to reply right away either. I wish someone else can explain the original languages used however... If anyone has the opportunity to buy/read a copy... i wont put in all the Heb. words on the topic the writer presented-- but That is the heart of the gem. For others who have studied on this matter thru the yrs, whether in seminary, or as doctor, midwife, mother etc, your input would be most valuable. Tnx.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
I see. It was really 5 posts, and would have been 4 if i finished the last info on the anthropological aspects of childbirth fr chap. 17 in one sitting. Have you seen pahu's thread on Science disproves evolution? It is more than 1000 pp, and well i only saw abt 10 long posts in a row on the subject near the last pp, for it is impossible to read all of it...

Sorry, i meant 1000+ posts.

D

didymos

So I just doing so some research on the whole Jesus quoting Obama as the antichrist namely this Luke 10:18: “I saw Satan as Lightning from Heaven.
according to many the word Lightning is Baraq in hebrew the q making a sort of k sound...

In hebrew his name would be spelled with a כ (kaph) though, not a ק (qoph). True, spelled with a qoph it would mean lighting, but now it means 'blessed.'

The 44th President of the United States is named after his father, who was a
Kenyan economist. Barack is an African name meaning “blessed.” It is a form of both the Hebrew name Baruch and the Arabic name Mubarak, which also mean “blessed” and relate to the Arabic barakah. Another common spelling of the name is Barak...

http://blog.dictionary.com/barack-obama-name/