The Strength of Sin is the Law

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 9, 2011
Our battle is not against acts of sin, but the fight is to keep our faith in who Christ is and what He did on the Cross.
When you say” keep “our faith In CHRIST and what HE did at the cross IMO this would be renewing our minds or conditional sanctification and not salvation which only requires believing In the WORD of GOD once and the spirit Is created new and perfect,born of Incorruptible seed.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
No not at all, we have to separate the covenants, the writer of that psalm was under the old covenant in a system of doing to please God...very right heart and I believe His word is a lamp to our feet I believe in good works, I believe in holiness, and walking a straight path, I believe you shouldn't live a life of sin, as sin is destructive! The law we live under is the Law of love, the ten commandments can be summed up in Love. If you have love for your brother you do not want to do harm to him etc.. But in Psalm 119 we can be thankful that we are blessed as Jesus is blessed, again don't look at yourself look to Jesus He is our representative! Jesus kept all of theose precepts and all of the law and through what He did for us we receive HIS achievement because I cant.
A covenant establishes a relationship. The old covenant established the relationship that God had with his people, and gave blessings for following the "law". As a protection for His people there was the sacrificial system established so sin did not kill but blood was shed in symbolism of the blood of Christ for atonement. It was like the early Hebrew marriage. When that covenant was up dated and Christ gave his blood for a much better sacrifice it was the fulfillment of what the symbol of His blood. That is why we say Christ fulfilled.

All of this has nothing to do with obeying law. That is part of the covenant we have with our God. It is like getting breakfast for our spouse because we love him.

The law guides us to living with blessings, walking with the Lord in the way He has made for us has always been a blessing and is not new and old.

If you toss out the OT teachings as being old covenant and all obsolete now you much toss out the NT, also, for almost a third of that testament refers to things we need to follow in the OT. It recommends following God as He is eternal, what God says is eternal and does not change. If it is only filled with old covenant stuff and that is not to be followed, we would have to not follow the NT also.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
When you say” keep “our faith In CHRIST and what HE did at the cross IMO this would be renewing our minds or conditional sanctification and not salvation which only requires believing In the WORD of GOD once and the spirit Is created new and perfect,born of Incorruptible seed.
Does this mean that anything we do physically is not of God? Not worshipping, going to church, partaking of the Lord's Supper, saying the Lord's prayer, admiring how beautiful God created the earth---Oh My. What is left?

Jun 2, 2018
A covenant establishes a relationship. The old covenant established the relationship that God had with his people, and gave blessings for following the "law". As a protection for His people there was the sacrificial system established so sin did not kill but blood was shed in symbolism of the blood of Christ for atonement. It was like the early Hebrew marriage. When that covenant was up dated and Christ gave his blood for a much better sacrifice it was the fulfillment of what the symbol of His blood. That is why we say Christ fulfilled.

All of this has nothing to do with obeying law. That is part of the covenant we have with our God. It is like getting breakfast for our spouse because we love him.

The law guides us to living with blessings, walking with the Lord in the way He has made for us has always been a blessing and is not new and old.

If you toss out the OT teachings as being old covenant and all obsolete now you much toss out the NT, also, for almost a third of that testament refers to things we need to follow in the OT. It recommends following God as He is eternal, what God says is eternal and does not change. If it is only filled with old covenant stuff and that is not to be followed, we would have to not follow the NT also.
I LOVE THE OLD TESTAMENT! I see it through the lens of Jesus Christ, as the old point forwards to Christ!

Jun 2, 2018
I LOVE THE OLD TESTAMENT! I see it through the lens of Jesus Christ, as the old point forwards to Christ!
I believe the New Testament Paul preaches a lot about behaivior, which we need how else will people know love if we cant behave correctly

Jun 2, 2018

Are you a Jew?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I would say that it is the indwelling Holy Spirit who provides the grace to avoid sin and practice righteousness.
i agree, though i think that might technically be a misuse of the word 'grace' ((?))

by His grace we are included in Him by faith, being immersed into Him we die with Him, sharing both His death and His resurrection - through dying with Him we are made free from the Law, robbing sin of its power and death from its sting, being 'swallowed up in victory' through living with Him also, a life by His Spirit, which empowers us - a gift of His grace - to walk in Him, righteously, in accord with the righteousness He declares of us for our faith.

a little more complicated to say :p
He is the cart and the horse!

what i meant originally is that it isn't by our walking uprightly that sin is made powerless over us; it's by being found in Him, in His death and resurrection - which removes the dominion of sin and also, since it is through His Spirit we live in Him, works in us to walk upright.

i don't mind the opportunity to say more though because it's opportunity to praise Him for all this He has done and continues to work in us :)

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
i agree, though i think that might technically be a misuse of the word 'grace'
But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble. (James 4:6).

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
1 Corinthians 15:56 The sting of death is sin, the strength of sin is the law.

The question gets asked millions of times "why do I keep sinning, why does it seem like this sin just will not go away?! I read my Bible and pray, I go to church, I do communion. I keep doing doing and doing, but this sin is getting stronger and stronger. Many people at this point throw in the towel. The problem is not what your doing but in the fact that you believe more in those things to free you than in the blood of Jesus.

There is no work greater than what Jesus did on the cross, He became sin so that you might become the righteousness of God. You cant work your way to freedom, Jesus has already done that! The reason sin is strengthening in your life is because you feel like the more work you do for God the less sin there will be, but its opposite from that Romans 6:14 says For sin SHALL NOT have dominion over, for you ARE NOT under the the Law but UNDER GRACE! Anything you do outside of the finished work of the cross will strengthen sin in your life, but the moment you come to the end of yourself and trust in Jesus and the price he paid to free you! When you think you have to do something to be saved you cheapen the cross.

When you depend on yourself (putting yourself under law) you will fall every time! But Jesus is there to pick you up! Remember there are good works to be done like praying, going to church, feeding the hungry, just remember these things will NOT free you from sin, So in essence I'm saying quit doing and start depending and receiving what Jesus did for you!
Here is Paul commenting on why he keeps sinning.

Romans 7 AMPC
14 We know that the Law is spiritual; but I am a creature of the flesh [carnal, unspiritual], having been sold into slavery under [the control of] sin.
15 For I do not understand my own actions [I am baffled, bewildered]. I do not practice or accomplish what I wish, but I do the very thing that I loathe [which my moral instinct condemns].
16 Now if I do [habitually] what is contrary to my desire, [that means that] I acknowledge and agree that the Law is good (morally excellent) and that I take sides with it.
17 However, it is no longer I who do the deed, but the sin [principle] which is at home in me and has possession of me.
18 For I know that nothing good dwells within me, that is, in my flesh. I can will what is right, but I cannot perform it. [I have the intention and urge to do what is right, but no power to carry it out.]
19 For I fail to practice the good deeds I desire to do, but the evil deeds that I do not desire to do are what I am [ever] doing.
20 Now if I do what I do not desire to do, it is no longer I doing it [it is not myself that acts], but the sin [principle] which dwells within me [fixed and operating in my soul].
21 So I find it to be a law (rule of action of my being) that when I want to do what is right and good, evil is ever present with me and I am subject to its insistent demands.
22 For I endorse and delight in the Law of God in my inmost self [with my new nature].
23 But I discern in my bodily members [[d]in the sensitive appetites and wills of the flesh] a different law (rule of action) at war against the law of my mind (my reason) and making me a prisoner to the law of sin that dwells in my bodily organs [in the sensitive appetites and wills of the flesh].
24 O unhappy and pitiable and wretched man that I am! Who will release and deliver me from [the shackles of] this body of death?
25 O thank God! [He will!] through Jesus Christ (the Anointed One) our Lord! So then indeed I, of myself with the mind and heart, serve the Law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.

Dec 9, 2011
Does this mean that anything we do physically is not of God? Not worshipping, going to church, partaking of the Lord's Supper, saying the Lord's prayer, admiring how beautiful God created the earth---Oh My. What is left?
Nothing we do physically affects our salvation It Is faith In the WORD of GOD that we get saved.

Dec 9, 2011
is it because a believer produces good fruit that sin has no more dominion over them, or is it because through Him they are no longer under law, but grace, that the power of sin is taken away?

which one is cart and what is horse?
or is it because through Him they are no longer under law, but grace, that the power of sin is taken away?

:) This would be the horse so to speak.

Sep 3, 2016
Our battle is not against acts of sin, but the fight is to keep our faith in who Christ is and what He did on the Cross, so we stay in His death, burial, and resurrection and are, therefore, victorious. That is the only way we are triumphant in Christ (II Cor. 2:14). And that is the only way He can work in us both to will (change our desires), and to do (give us the power of the Holy Spirit) (Phil. 2:13), so we can overcome sin. This is the only way believers can yield themselves as God’s servants (slaves) of obedience instead of being slaves to sin unto death (Rom. 6:16).

...and have no confidence in the flesh (in things other than the Cross, which alone is the guarantee of Salvation and Victory.) Philippians 3:3
If you get the Cross wrong, whatever else you get right doesn't matter (Matthew 7:24-27).

Sep 3, 2016
Nothing we do physically affects our salvation It Is faith In the WORD of GOD that we get saved.
If you get the Cross wrong, whatever else you get right doesn't matter (Matthew 7:24-27).
Paul said, "Do you not know that you are the Temple of God (where the Holy Spirit abides), and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? (That makes the Born-again Believer His permanent home.)

He also said, "If any man defile the Temple of God (our physical bodies must be a living Sacrifice, which means that we stay Holy by ever making the Cross the object of our Faith [Rom. 12:1]), him shall God destroy (to fail to function in God's prescribed Order [the Cross], opens the Believer up to Satan, which will ultimately result in destruction); for the Temple of God is Holy, which Temple you are" (We are "Holy" by virtue of being "in Christ." We remain Holy by the Work of the Holy Spirit, Who demands that our Faith ever be in the Cross, which has made all of this possible.) (1 Cor. 3:16-17).

This Passage has a double meaning:

1. It speaks of individuals who are Spirit-filled but defile the Temple, which is the physical body along with the spirit and the soul. This can be done by any number of ways: alcohol, drugs, immorality, envy, jealousy, bitterness, unforgiveness, etc.

2. It has, as well, a second meaning, which is even greater. It speaks of the Body of Christ as a whole, in other words, the Church, which has turned away from the Cross of Christ to other things. By other things, we are referring to humanistic psychology, the wisdom of this world, or schemes devised by men, which are not the Cross of Christ. Jesus Christ is the Source of everything we receive from God, and the Cross of Christ is the Means, and the only Means, by which all of these things are given to us. When I say, "All," I mean "all." He plainly tells us that if we defile this Temple, He will destroy it exactly as He destroyed the Temple of old. That destruction was carried out by the Roman Tenth Legion, which completely destroyed it in every capacity.

The physical body of the Believer is the House of God. The biggest danger for modern Believers, as it regards "defiling the Temple of God," is placing their faith in something other than Christ and the Cross. It doesn't matter what the other thing is, if it's not the Cross of Christ, the Lord cannot bless it.

JSM

Sep 3, 2016
Either you are under "Grace" or the "Law." There must be "oil in the lamp (extra oil for refilling's daily - Matthew 25:1-13)" What caused the lamps to go out in the time of Samuel as a boy, is causing the lamps to go out presently (1 Sam. 3:1-9). The Bible teaches us that many Christians retained the outward show and form of Faith but neglected the true inward life of Faith. The "Law" is a curse.

Remember, Jesus said out of the 10 Virgins (Believers), 5 were wise and 5 became foolish (once a Believer)...their oil was gone.

Dec 9, 2011
Would Paul be talking about salvation or conditional sanctification?
Paul said, "Do you not know that you are the Temple of God (where the Holy Spirit abides), and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? (That makes the Born-again Believer His permanent home.)

He also said, "If any man defile the Temple of God (our physical bodies must be a living Sacrifice, which means that we stay Holy by ever making the Cross the object of our Faith [Rom. 12:1]), him shall God destroy (to fail to function in God's prescribed Order [the Cross], opens the Believer up to Satan, which will ultimately result in destruction); for the Temple of God is Holy, which Temple you are" (We are "Holy" by virtue of being "in Christ." We remain Holy by the Work of the Holy Spirit, Who demands that our Faith ever be in the Cross, which has made all of this possible.) (1 Cor. 3:16-17).

This Passage has a double meaning:

1. It speaks of individuals who are Spirit-filled but defile the Temple, which is the physical body along with the spirit and the soul. This can be done by any number of ways: alcohol, drugs, immorality, envy, jealousy, bitterness, unforgiveness, etc.

2. It has, as well, a second meaning, which is even greater. It speaks of the Body of Christ as a whole, in other words, the Church, which has turned away from the Cross of Christ to other things. By other things, we are referring to humanistic psychology, the wisdom of this world, or schemes devised by men, which are not the Cross of Christ. Jesus Christ is the Source of everything we receive from God, and the Cross of Christ is the Means, and the only Means, by which all of these things are given to us. When I say, "All," I mean "all." He plainly tells us that if we defile this Temple, He will destroy it exactly as He destroyed the Temple of old. That destruction was carried out by the Roman Tenth Legion, which completely destroyed it in every capacity.

The physical body of the Believer is the House of God. The biggest danger for modern Believers, as it regards "defiling the Temple of God," is placing their faith in something other than Christ and the Cross. It doesn't matter what the other thing is, if it's not the Cross of Christ, the Lord cannot bless it.

JSM

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
And if you refuse to learn what the old system of blood did for atonement, the system that Christ updated, then you cannot understand what Christ is doing for you. All the people who first accepted Christ as their Savior knew, and if they didn't but came from a pagan background they went to synagogue to learn. They learned that Christ did it better, also.

Dec 9, 2011
Either you are under "Grace" or the "Law." There must be "oil in the lamp (extra oil for refilling's daily - Matthew 25:1-13)" What caused the lamps to go out in the time of Samuel as a boy, is causing the lamps to go out presently (1 Sam. 3:1-9). The Bible teaches us that many Christians retained the outward show and form of Faith but neglected the true inward life of Faith. The "Law" is a curse.

Remember, Jesus said out of the 10 Virgins (Believers), 5 were wise and 5 became foolish (once a Believer)...their oil was gone.
How could they be believers If JESUS never knew them.

When you say believer,do you mean a person that has salvation, because the bible says that a person that Is saved has been born again of INCORRUPTIBLE seed?

Dec 9, 2011
What does the law being fulfilled mean to you? Does it mean more has to be done? Or does it mean that we have a new and better way? WE have a BETTER Covenant than Moses had, I don't serve Moses I serve Jesus. Now, let me explain again I believe the law is holy. But, God is the one who found fault with the Law not me... Hebrews 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second....So if the first covenant had been without fault and could make you perfect, there would've been no need to find a second, no need for Jesus to die on the cross. HIS holiness makes us holy. When we behold the Law we become what the law says we are...When we behold Jesus we become who He says we are!
IMO,If JESUS were to come walking around the corner, law keepers would run and hug HIS shadow.