The Supreme Court Ruling That Led To 70,000 Forced Sterilizations

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

SophieT

Hearing about and reading about the forced sterilizations and the roots in 'eugenics', I find myself thinking about BLM and their (many) false claims and the riots of this past summer, supposedly based on racist police killings, the impact of the leftist media on millions of people, the attempt at putting a person in the Presidency that has been selected (rather than elected) because he is malleable and is failing in mental capacity, the push of the far left to enact what amounts to communism in this country, and false allegations of the last four years against a duly elected sitting President, it seems to me I see a repeat pattern that has wound its way through history from the beginning until now.

I can sum it up very simply as human beings without God are susceptible to every lie of the devil, are easily led astray and are hell bent on destroying themselves and each other.

One of the most recent and horrific examples of an entire country being persuaded of evil by one person, is Germany, WWII and a man named Hitler.

It seems millions in the US are equally persuaded of evil and culpable to accepting lies as truth and worse, some knowing the actual facts of how Biden is supposedly the next President, present these lies as truth and would most likely swear to it on a stack of Bibles if that book held any meaning for them.

So where does the title of this op come in? I had some vague knowledge of the forced sterilizations enacted upon the populace at the beginning of the 20th century, but the genesis of this Supreme Court ruling are startling in their import and it is impossible to trace the effects and tragedies enacted by such a ruling.

One of the worst Supreme Court decisions in history, according to our guest journalist Adam Cohen, was the 1927 decision upholding a state's right to forcibly sterilize a person considered unfit to procreate - unfit because they were deemed to be mentally deficient. That decision is part of a larger chapter of American history in which the eugenics movement was behind preventing so-called mentally deficient people from procreating through not allowing them to marry, sterilizing them and segregating them in special colonies.

I am most likely asking too much of people responding on a forum and not trying to insult anyone by saying so. This is not really a thread about forced sterilization, but more about the fact such a thing could occur in the first place. And that, would be the focus I have in mind. How many times and how many millions and millions of people have given over their capacity to think for themselves and allowed foreign and deceitful lies to be presented as facts? Facts that they are then asked to agree upon and exert in their own lives as best they can, while depending on an unlawful minority to pat them on the head or lock them away for failure to comply?

I am living in this time and no other but I have plenty to reflect upon and the ability to decide for myself what is truth and what is not truth by the simple act of sifting through the miasma of all that is thrown at people by those who stand in the place of providing either truth or lies.

This is a time to seek God as none other in most of our life times and ask him to keep us from deception in any forum and to empower us with His truth and to be led by His Spirit and not the latest salacious item to present itself on the 6 o'clock news.

There really is nothing to argue or debate about here, but plenty for discussion and maybe wake a few people up. There is this expression now, called 'woke' but I would really like to see those who say they follow Christ get 'woked' and I do not think that I am finest example of that myself. Anyway, those are some of the things I am thinking about but if no one cares to add or discuss, that's fine. Thanks for reading if you got this far.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Buck v. Bell is one of the cases I reference whenever somebody claims Roe v. Wade should stand due to precedence.

K

kaylagrl

Buck v. Bell is one of the cases I reference whenever somebody claims Roe v. Wade should stand due to precedence.
Thanks for sharing this. I can't believe I hadn't known about it before researching abortion issues. And the case has never been overturned? Shocking.

S

SophieT

Right. They went sterilization happy there for awhile. Mr Holmes apparently made some very harsh decisions, such as 'well, it's state law, so just go ahead and sterilize her' (a woman whose mother had her sterilized because the husband's will declared that if the daughter had no children, then the wife inherited everything after his death. He died. The daughter was declared hysterical and a few other things and Holmes did not even hear the case properly)

The daughter thought she was being operated on for one thing but when she woke, she found she had been sterilized.

Different times. Or not :unsure:

Jul 23, 2018
Right. They went sterilization happy there for awhile. Mr Holmes apparently made some very harsh decisions, such as 'well, it's state law, so just go ahead and sterilize her' (a woman whose mother had her sterilized because the husband's will declared that if the daughter had no children, then the wife inherited everything after his death. He died. The daughter was declared hysterical and a few other things and Holmes did not even hear the case properly)

The daughter thought she was being operated on for one thing but when she woke, she found she had been sterilized.

Stuff like that gives me the creeps

S

SophieT

Stuff like that gives me the creeps
Yes. And here we are in December of 2020 and people are watching an incredible display of throwing the constitution out the window and planning to put a 'trojan horse' (as some have called it) into the White House.

We would like to think deception on such a grand scale is not what would happen here, but it has happened already with regards to fake science (the movement towards and embraced 'eugenics'. So, we have both bogus science and bogus voting to created as has been noted, a reset.

S

SophieT

I really didn't create this op to discuss the vaccine. Guess I'll just mosey along.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Exactly. After some decades of ethical sanity, we've arrived back to committing the same sin with a different rationale.

Instead of sterilizing invalids, we administer hormone blockers and schedule sex-change operations.

The fact this is being done while our legal code allows for the slaughter of infants really puts things in perspective.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
There is a book that came out this year you would really like if you have not read it yet. It's called The Age of Entitlement by Christopher Caldwell.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07THQW1R2/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Yes. And here we are in December of 2020 and people are watching an incredible display of throwing the constitution out the window and planning to put a 'trojan horse' (as some have called it) into the White House.

We would like to think deception on such a grand scale is not what would happen here, but it has happened already with regards to fake science (the movement towards and embraced 'eugenics'. So, we have both bogus science and bogus voting to created as has been noted, a reset.

S

SophieT

Exactly. After some decades of ethical sanity, we've arrived back to committing the same sin with a different rationale.

Instead of sterilizing invalids, we administer hormone blockers and schedule sex-change operations.

The fact this is being done while our legal code allows for the slaughter of infants really puts things in perspective.
Well you are touching on what I had in mind so thanks. People have great difficulty thinking for themselves or if they do, become rebellious or a philosopher. (exaggerated breakdown there)

It seems they do best when they follow and we do not have the best leaders.

S

SophieT

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Channeling some Plato and Aristotle there! Good stuff.

Well you are touching on what I had in mind so thanks. People have great difficulty thinking for themselves or if they do, become rebellious or a philosopher. (exaggerated breakdown there)

It seems they do best when they follow and we do not have the best leaders.

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011
Hearing about and reading about the forced sterilizations and the roots in 'eugenics', I find myself thinking about BLM and their (many) false claims and the riots of this past summer, supposedly based on racist police killings, the impact of the leftist media on millions of people, the attempt at putting a person in the Presidency that has been selected (rather than elected) because he is malleable and is failing in mental capacity, the push of the far left to enact what amounts to communism in this country, and false allegations of the last four years against a duly elected sitting President, it seems to me I see a repeat pattern that has wound its way through history from the beginning until now.

I can sum it up very simply as human beings without God are susceptible to every lie of the devil, are easily led astray and are hell bent on destroying themselves and each other.

One of the most recent and horrific examples of an entire country being persuaded of evil by one person, is Germany, WWII and a man named Hitler.

It seems millions in the US are equally persuaded of evil and culpable to accepting lies as truth and worse, some knowing the actual facts of how Biden is supposedly the next President, present these lies as truth and would most likely swear to it on a stack of Bibles if that book held any meaning for them.

So where does the title of this op come in? I had some vague knowledge of the forced sterilizations enacted upon the populace at the beginning of the 20th century, but the genesis of this Supreme Court ruling are startling in their import and it is impossible to trace the effects and tragedies enacted by such a ruling.

One of the worst Supreme Court decisions in history, according to our guest journalist Adam Cohen, was the 1927 decision upholding a state's right to forcibly sterilize a person considered unfit to procreate - unfit because they were deemed to be mentally deficient. That decision is part of a larger chapter of American history in which the eugenics movement was behind preventing so-called mentally deficient people from procreating through not allowing them to marry, sterilizing them and segregating them in special colonies.

I am most likely asking too much of people responding on a forum and not trying to insult anyone by saying so. This is not really a thread about forced sterilization, but more about the fact such a thing could occur in the first place. And that, would be the focus I have in mind. How many times and how many millions and millions of people have given over their capacity to think for themselves and allowed foreign and deceitful lies to be presented as facts? Facts that they are then asked to agree upon and exert in their own lives as best they can, while depending on an unlawful minority to pat them on the head or lock them away for failure to comply?

I am living in this time and no other but I have plenty to reflect upon and the ability to decide for myself what is truth and what is not truth by the simple act of sifting through the miasma of all that is thrown at people by those who stand in the place of providing either truth or lies.

This is a time to seek God as none other in most of our life times and ask him to keep us from deception in any forum and to empower us with His truth and to be led by His Spirit and not the latest salacious item to present itself on the 6 o'clock news.

There really is nothing to argue or debate about here, but plenty for discussion and maybe wake a few people up. There is this expression now, called 'woke' but I would really like to see those who say they follow Christ get 'woked' and I do not think that I am finest example of that myself. Anyway, those are some of the things I am thinking about but if no one cares to add or discuss, that's fine. Thanks for reading if you got this far.
Yes Hitler is one of the most noted in this but quite a bit of this gets lost in the word "Holocaust(S)". I added an "S" at the end because from thenww2) no one knew if it should have an "S" on it or not or if it was singular or plural. I always risk being labeled an "Holocaust denier" by saying this so to clear that up I want to say that I know and believe that 6-9 million Jews did die in ww2.

That said though the Nazi party(and others) believed that there were pure races and "sub-humans/Untermensch in German" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Untermensch ...This led to the "Action T4" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aktion_T4 being implemented and anyone deemed sub-human,political enemies ect. were then taken at first to Bergen Belsen https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergen-Belsen_concentration_camp which was first of many concentration camps.

In the one link is a chart of "badges" but most of the badges you will see in the black and white photos of ww2 look the same in black and white and so this could lead to an conclusion which is in error. The badges that were used are "triangles"(point up or point down) and depending on their "color" showed the SS guards the reason each prisoner was in the camps https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_concentration_camp_badge So "at a glance" every badge "looked like a Jewish star"(six sided star) but it could have been a black triangle/brown triangle which meant the prisoner was "Romanian,and mentally ill,alcoholic,drug addict(other variables) but not Jewish or if it was yellow and another yellow triangle then the prisoner was Jewish(race)/Jewish(religion) but any of the combinations of the badges look like a Jewish star in a black and white photo(some are Jews but others were not).

in ww2 many focus on "6-9 million Jews" which is correct but there were also approx. 11.5-20 million others who died in the same concentration camps by the same methods who are never spoken of. They were any of the others that were determined to be sub-humans,worthless food eaters or political prisoners(many other names) during that time. This was not something directed at only one race or religion but Christians also who spoke out in defiance https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_persecution_of_the_Catholic_Church_in_Germany and JW were seen this way by the Nazis because they would not fight in his army.

Eugenics has a way of beginning small and getting bigger and bigger as time goes on so I wanted to share the others who died because of this manner of thinking but bare in mind that if you look at https://courses.lumenlearning.com/suny-hccc-worldhistory2/chapter/casualties-of-world-war-ii/ or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Christians_in_the_Soviet_Union then you'll add 12-20 million Christians to this not even counting the 20-50 million Chinese/Manchurian's ect. killed by the Japanese. So anyway good luck with your thread there's around 100 million or more people who have fell victim to this and many more you will uncover the more you dig, it's a lot bigger problem than many know of.

S

SophieT

Yes Hitler is one of the most noted in this but quite a bit of this gets lost in the word "Holocaust(S)". I added an "S" at the end because from thenww2) no one knew if it should have an "S" on it or not or if it was singular or plural. I always risk being labeled an "Holocaust denier" by saying this so to clear that up I want to say that I know and believe that 6-9 million Jews did die in ww2.

That said though the Nazi party(and others) believed that there were pure races and "sub-humans/Untermensch in German" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Untermensch ...This led to the "Action T4" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aktion_T4 being implemented and anyone deemed sub-human,political enemies ect. were then taken at first to Bergen Belsen https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergen-Belsen_concentration_camp which was first of many concentration camps.

In the one link is a chart of "badges" but most of the badges you will see in the black and white photos of ww2 look the same in black and white and so this could lead to an conclusion which is in error. The badges that were used are "triangles"(point up or point down) and depending on their "color" showed the SS guards the reason each prisoner was in the camps https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_concentration_camp_badge So "at a glance" every badge "looked like a Jewish star"(six sided star) but it could have been a black triangle/brown triangle which meant the prisoner was "Romanian,and mentally ill,alcoholic,drug addict(other variables) but not Jewish or if it was yellow and another yellow triangle then the prisoner was Jewish(race)/Jewish(religion) but any of the combinations of the badges look like a Jewish star in a black and white photo(some are Jews but others were not).

in ww2 many focus on "6-9 million Jews" which is correct but there were also approx. 11.5-20 million others who died in the same concentration camps by the same methods who are never spoken of. They were any of the others that were determined to be sub-humans,worthless food eaters or political prisoners(many other names) during that time. This was not something directed at only one race or religion but Christians also who spoke out in defiance https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_persecution_of_the_Catholic_Church_in_Germany and JW were seen this way by the Nazis because they would not fight in his army.

Eugenics has a way of beginning small and getting bigger and bigger as time goes on so I war timnted to share the others who died because of this manner of thinking but bare in mind that if you look at https://courses.lumenlearning.com/suny-hccc-worldhistory2/chapter/casualties-of-world-war-ii/ or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Christians_in_the_Soviet_Union then you'll add 12-20 million Christians to this not even counting the 20-50 million Chinese/Manchurian's ect. killed by the Japanese. So anyway good luck with your thread there's around 100 million or more people who have fell victim to this and many more you will uncover the more you dig, it's a lot bigger problem than many know of.

Hi Soandso

You are so right about the millions of other ethnic groups that also perished and were treated as human garbage. Regarding the eugenics, it actually started as a health craze if my understanding is correct, and then, as you say, blew up over time, until it became accepted and the ultimate 'reason or understanding' for basically culling the human race.

Thank you for taking the time to read my op and obviously doing your own research. With that in mind, this excerpt from my op is where my thoughts on all the monstrosities having been committed over the centuries, the last century and frankly currently, (China, African nations, terrorist organizations etc) culminated.

How many times and how many millions and millions of people have given over their capacity to think for themselves and allowed foreign and deceitful lies to be presented as facts? Facts that they are then asked to agree upon and exert in their own lives as best they can, while depending on an unlawful minority to pat them on the head or lock them away for failure to comply?
I then presented

This is a time to seek God as none other in most of our life times and ask him to keep us from deception in any form and to empower us with His truth and to be led by His Spirit and not the latest salacious item to present itself on the 6 o'clock news.
as my conclusion on the foregoing. As Christians we know this world does not end well and some think we are going to get there sooner rather than later. (I believe we may just be at the beginning, not a popular view I know. I could be wrong.)

I also do not believe in all of this nouveau prophecy about events especially since there seem to be as many versions as there are prophets to pronounce them. I think the Bible is the best forerunner of events that we have and history reveals many lessons and as Solomon himself said "All the rivers flow into the sea, Yet the sea is not full. To the place where the rivers flow, There they flow again. Ecc 1:7 and Solomon is said to be the wisest man who ever lived.

I have seen there is not a big rush on God's part to get things done; seems to me He set this world up to continue as He fashioned it without constant picking on His creation, other than His direct and personal involvement in His human creation.

Just throwing thoughts out there and really appreciate your participation.

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011
Hi Soandso

You are so right about the millions of other ethnic groups that also perished and were treated as human garbage. Regarding the eugenics, it actually started as a health craze if my understanding is correct, and then, as you say, blew up over time, until it became accepted and the ultimate 'reason or understanding' for basically culling the human race.

Thank you for taking the time to read my op and obviously doing your own research. With that in mind, this excerpt from my op is where my thoughts on all the monstrosities having been committed over the centuries, the last century and frankly currently, (China, African nations, terrorist organizations etc) culminated.

I then presented

as my conclusion on the foregoing. As Christians we know this world does not end well and some think we are going to get there sooner rather than later. (I believe we may just be at the beginning, not a popular view I know. I could be wrong.)

I also do not believe in all of this nouveau prophecy about events especiallyom since there seem to be as many versions as there are prophets to pronounce them. I think the Bible is the best forerunner of events that we have and history reveals many lessons and as Solomon himself said "All the rivers flow into the sea, Yet the sea is not full. To the place where the rivers flow, There they flow again. Ecc 1:7 and Solomon is said to be the wisest man who ever lived.

I have seen there is not a big rush on God's part to get things done; seems to me He set this world up to continue as He fashioned it without constant picking on His creation, other than His direct and personal involvement in His human creation.

Just throwing thoughts out there and really appreciate your participation.

Yes I think that many may see the period between about 1900 to 1950 one way or another but me and a group of my friends have looked at it for some time now. The reason being that in our Scriptures were looking for a time period where a third to a quarter of the earth dies from war,pestilence,starvation the beast ect.

And so war, food shortage, and H1N1https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_A_virus_subtype_H1N1 look suspicious when we compare the population in 1900(1.6b) to 2.5b in 1950. That is that they did die from the sword(war) pestilence(H1N1/mutation in beast,swine,cattle,birds ect.) and starvation along with a world depression(scales wheat,penny ect.) during ww1-ww2.. So there might be a reason why the other deaths from that time period are not mentioned much,it could be to have us look for it to come in the future instead of noticing it back then,just a thought.

S

SophieT

So there might be a reason why the other deaths from that time period are not mentioned much,it could be to have us look for it to come in the future instead of noticing it back then,just a thought.
And then there was the plague in Europe. That actually was global (known world) Estimation of 75,000,000 to 200,000,000 deaths and it went on for years. There were actually three plagues apparently, I had only known of two myself.

There have been three great world pandemics of plague recorded, in 541, 1347, and 1894 CE, each time causing devastating mortality of people and animals across nations and continents. On more than one occasion plague irrevocably changed the social and economic fabric of society.

And again it can be seen how the world changed, even as is happening now.

Lisamn

Dec 29, 2020

I kinda agree that the unsaved are more open to lies and deception but then Jesus also warns us to be on the alert for false teachers and prophets and that we set up teachers for ourselves that our itchy ears want to hear. I think anyone can be lied to and deceived but what helps the Christian is that we have the Bible...and we should be like the Bereans and we have the Holy Spirit who leads us into all truth :)

S

SophieT

I kinda agree that the unsaved are more open to lies and deception but then Jesus also warns us to be on the alert for false teachers and prophets and that we set up teachers for ourselves that our itchy ears want to hear. I think anyone can be lied to and deceived but what helps the Christian is that we have the Bible...and we should be like the Bereans and we have the Holy Spirit who leads us into all truth :)
This has less than nothing to do with the op.