The Talmud

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 17, 2020
Are the Jews really Gods chosen people? Whats with the teachings of the Talmud that most Jews live by? I would really like some feedback. Thank you

kinda

Jun 26, 2013
This is from my view point, definitely not an authority on the subject...It's a really difficult subject to answer and it's bound to cause divisions, but here is my attempt. I'm open to disagreement and correction, since this is a pretty deep discussion.

The Talmud is collection of writings by many Rabbi's from the past. Just like most Jews don't see the New Testament as scripture, The Talmud isn't viewed as scripture by most Christians. I do think some Jews are a little curious about the New Testament, just as Christians are a little curious with The Talmud. Obviously, they both have reservations on what they say.

Yes, I do see the Jews as God's chosen people. They were trusted in keeping the law and showing who the true God is. At the same time, Jew or gentile can be a Jew by trusting Jesus as Lord.

Galatians 3:29
And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's offspring, heirs according to promise.

Galatians 3:28
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

-------------------
Now most Jews today see that there are two kinds of Jews, Jewish by blood, and Jewish by faith. Not gonna argue this, what's most important is your decision on Jesus.

John 14:6
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

--------------------
This is where the great divide is in Christianity and the Jewish Faith. I see Christianity as a Jewish Faith, since Jesus was/is a Jew and was the greatest Rabbi ever. Where most Jewish Temple's reject Jesus as the Messiah due to difference of interruption of scripture, but most Jewish Temple's acknowledge The Talmud and Rabbinical Traditions. It doesn't make sense maybe, but it's a really complicated subject.

I have been to a few Jewish Temples (Orthodox, Conservative, and maybe Reform) and my experience is, they don't want to talk about Jesus, and they think Christians are Goyim. Karaite Judaism sort of rejects Rabbinical Judaism and is really only concerned with what the Bible (Torah) says. I'm pretty sure they reject The Talmud. I would love to attend a Karaite Jewish Temple, really think it would be a place of learning. I watched a few YouTube channels and their view points are refreshing, but be warned they don't typically believe in Jesus as the Messiah.

I can relate to Karite Judaism in a way, that they really are seeking the truth in scripture, which I think we should all want. There are Messianic Jewish Congregations that accept Jesus as Messiah, try to keep the Law of God, and welcome both Jew and Non-Jew to learn about Jesus and God's Commandments. Jewish Orthodox, Conservative, and Reform typically won't acknowledge Messianic Judaism as being Jewish, I heard it said, they are like Christians playing dress up.

I really tried to be fair, not to be disrespectful, and present what I believe to be true. I hope it helps answer some of your questions. This is a really deep subject and it's pretty hard to make a blanket statement, add to the fact I never read The Talmud, and never plan to. The New Testament has my favorite Rabbi in it!

Aug 15, 2020
The Talmud isn't the true orthodox book of the Jews. The Torah was. The Talmud was written while in exile in Babylon.

Jews were not called Jews back then, they were Israelites and then later Judeans.

Was Israel God's chosen people? Yes, and their promise continues through the person of Jesus Christ and his followers. The Judeans who did not see Jesus as their messiah became the Jews and went on to write the Torah. They have largely lost faith in God's promises of the Torah.

In the parable of the bad tenants, Jesus compares the Jews to bad tenants who tried to act like the land is theirs instead of the Landowner (God). God sent his prophets to convince them to turn from their evil ways and they didn't listen. So he sent his son and they tenants killed him. God says that land will be given to others. (see Matthew 21:33–46, Mark 12:1–12 and Luke 20:9–19)

And in the parable of the wedding banquet, the Jews are invited to a great banquet but they don't show up so instead the father goes and invites others to the feast (Matthew 22:1-14 and Luke 14:15-24)

And there are other parables against the Jews. But there are also old testament prophecies where God says the Israelites are no faithful and so they will be exiled from the land. But he promises that a messiah will come and be available to everyone, Israel and gentiles.

The first Christians were Jews and the ones that did not see their messiah are now on a false path and no longer God's chosen people. Christians are the chosen people of God.

Ephesians 3:6 - This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus.

Aug 17, 2020
What about the jesuits?.. and why would their Rabbi's write such awful things in the Talmud as a guide to their people (Jews) on how to live? The things written by their so called religious leaders are nothing less than vile and go against everything I've been taught as a Christian. My Lord and savior is Jesus Christ of Nazareth and in his name I place my faith. My Lord is one of love and forgiveness. As I said its a polar opposite of some of the things in there. I would revolt against my own religion if my pastor told our congregation that pedophilia is ok if their below a certain age. 3 for girls and 12 for boys to be exact! I've never heard such sacrilegious garbage in my life! Can anyone explain this?

Jan 25, 2015
What about the jesuits?.. and why would their Rabbi's write such awful things in the Talmud as a guide to their people (Jews) on how to live? The things written by their so called religious leaders are nothing less than vile and go against everything I've been taught as a Christian. My Lord and savior is Jesus Christ of Nazareth and in his name I place my faith. My Lord is one of love and forgiveness. As I said its a polar opposite of some of the things in there. I would revolt against my own religion if my pastor told our congregation that pedophilia is ok if their below a certain age. 3 for girls and 12 for boys to be exact! I've never heard such sacrilegious garbage in my life! Can anyone explain this?
Jesuits are not Jews? They are Roman Catholics...

Aug 17, 2020
Yes the Jews infiltrated the Catholic church from the beginning... They boast about it and laugh at us "Goyim"(human cattle). I need answers as to why these people are they way they are.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Are the Jews really Gods chosen people? Whats with the teachings of the Talmud that most Jews live by? I would really like some feedback. Thank you
The Talmud is not inspired. It was written by men, with thoughts of man..

The Torah is inspired. It was written by men under the guidance of God..

The Jews where chosen by God to work through to reveal the will of God..

The mistake people make is thinking that this is a claim that the Jews where / are chosen because they are / where better / superior in some way to other peoples.. Nope.. Jews are just like anyone else.. Needing the Atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ to be saved..

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
What about the jesuits?..
They are an order in the catholic religion.. They are not Jews..

and why would their Rabbi's write such awful things in the Talmud as a guide to their people (Jews) on how to live? The things written by their so called religious leaders are nothing less than vile and go against everything I've been taught as a Christian.
Because they are faulty humans with faulty motivations..

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Yes the Jews infiltrated the Catholic church from the beginning... They boast about it and laugh at us "Goyim"(human cattle). I need answers as to why these people are they way they are.
The ones who wrote the Talmud had rejected the will of the LORD and thus where given over to delusion and deception and to a perverse mind.. Have you read the New testament where it says..

Disbelieving God and rejecting Him end up with that person being given over to the things mentioned below..

Romans 1: KJV
20 "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: {21} Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. {22} Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, {23} And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. {24} Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: {25} Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen."

Aug 17, 2020
Then why as Christians do we accept them as "better than" us? Because they claim to be? If the Talmud was written by man as a guide on how to live why didn't anyone oppose the disgusting things they have to say? Why is the Talmud even in existence still? I try my best not to have hatred toward these things because I don't fully understand. But I find it increasingly more difficult to turn the cheek on these people and things they believe.

Jan 25, 2015
Then why as Christians do we accept them as "better than" us? Because they claim to be? If the Talmud was written by man as a guide on how to live why didn't anyone oppose the disgusting things they have to say? Why is the Talmud even in existence still? I try my best not to have hatred toward these things because I don't fully understand. But I find it increasingly more difficult to turn the cheek on these people and things they believe.
Nobody (I know) accept them better than us :unsure: they have a superior knowledge about Hebrew than most Christians but that is as a result of their upbringing.

Don't focus on them and focus on God :) we should not hate anybody.

Aug 17, 2020
Its not that I hate anyone but I definitely hate the ideals and views that feel like they are hidden from us. And I guess it's not so much "better" than Christians, but it feels like from the beginning; even in Sunday school, I was taught how special and wise and good the Jews are as a people in whole. Yet this whole other side of their religious orgins was never mentioned, even in adult Bible study. The advice to focus on God i will take. Because your right, I just feel a grave injustice from all of this. Plus I feel some of the views or "morals" in the Talmud are being pumped into our homes, and into our children's minds for decades now. I believe it started with my generation in the early 90's. Brittany Spears, Miley Cyrus, and so many young children have been sexualized by hollyweird and the media right in front of our eyes!! Its spiraled out of control and now LGBT is being crammed down our throats and were all supposed to accept it. Well I'm not. Now they want to tack a "P" to the end of that for "PEDOPHILE"!! It churns my stomach. It feels like the Talmud's values have slowly been injected into our society right under our noses. I believe this was the agenda all along. Please pray for the Lord to ease my heart and mind on this. I am very troubled by it.

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
Are the Jews really Gods chosen people?
It depends who you mean by Jew. If you are talking about those who accept Christ - the true Jews - then yes, we really are God's Chosen People.

Romans 2:28 - 29 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

However, if you are talking about the race, or religion, then know that the highest authority - Jesus - declared that neither race nor religion could spare some of these from being children of Satan.

John 8:31 - 44
Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free? Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever. If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed. I know that ye are Abraham's seed; but ye seek to kill me, because my word hath no place in you. I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father. They answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham. But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham. Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God. Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me. Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word. Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Whats with the teachings of the Talmud that most Jews live by? I would really like some feedback. Thank you
The Talmud is a wicked book, with wicked teachings. It has nothing to do with biblical Judaism, and certainly nothing to do with Christianity. My limited understanding is that when Jesus often spoke against the Pharisees' hypocrisy, it was because they were practicing their oral traditions (their oral Talmud of that time) in preference to God's own commands. These Jews (certainly not God's chosen people) were following their father the devil, but claiming to follow the One True God.

Aug 15, 2020
I believe there are two types of Jews in the world today. The remnant who are the true orthodox jews. They follow the Torah. Many of them died in the holocaust. Many of the ones who remain live in Jerusalem. After WWII, they presented evidence to the UN that Zionist Jews had worked with the Nazi's in preventing Jews from leaving Germany so that Zionism could use the tragedy to create a nation of Israel.

Which brings me to the second type of Jew, which I have already mentioned, Zionists. These follow the Torah(loosely), the Babylonian Talmud and the Kabbalah. They call themselves Orthodox too and claim that their Kabbalah was started back in King Solomon's temple. They claim it was so esoteric that they had to keep it hidden to keep it from falling in the wrong hands. But if you read the bible, the Israelites who followed the occult were evil and one of the reasons God sent the Israelites into exile. King David would have had them killed. They followed the six sided star of Remphan (Saturn).

I have a Jewish neighbor who talks about his time in the Israeli army and how in Tel Aviv everyone is Zionist, but in Jerusalem there are old Jews who only follow the Torah and they want Zionism out of Israel because they believe they are still in exile.

Aug 15, 2020
During WWI Palestine was controlled by the Ottoman Empire (Turkey) and yet Lord Balfour (ex-PM) of the UK promised the Rothschilds that the UK would help the Rothschilds form a nation in Israel.

Well there was no support for this nation within Palestine.

After WWII UK controlled Palestine. They had promised it to the Rothschilds but the world would never allow Palestine to just be given over and there was no support in Palestine for their plans.

So Jews from Odessa Russia were imported to Palestine and began performing acts of Terrorism. The Irgun and Lehi were Jewish terrorists fighting for the freedom of Palestine and formation of Israel.

So they used the holocaust as a reason to destroy Palestine and oppress the people there, all in the name of Israel.

Zionist Christians wrongly supported this injustice and atrocity because they believed it was prophecy being fulfilled. But if God had re-formed Israel he would do it with justice and he would include all the nations. I think they lacked faith and wanted to see bible prophecy fulfilled as a sign that God is real.

kinda

Jun 26, 2013
Then why as Christians do we accept them as "better than" us?

Jews have blessed every society they have been in and should be welcomed. Personally, I think the Jews have been studying the Bible much longer that most, and with that they deserve respect. Also, they keep the law, which many Christians reject. There is much wisdom in the law that we could all learn from, myself included.

As far as better, not sure that is the best phrase, it's more of respecting your elders. The Jews have historical relationship with God, that shouldn't be overlooked. Also, the Jews are protected by God, so don't mess with God's people. Not to mention the hope of the world came through the Jews, that is the Jewish Messiah, Jesus.

Romans 3:23
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Genesis 12:3
I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you."

Aug 15, 2020
Its not that I hate anyone but I definitely hate the ideals and views that feel like they are hidden from us. And I guess it's not so much "better" than Christians, but it feels like from the beginning; even in Sunday school, I was taught how special and wise and good the Jews are as a people in whole. Yet this whole other side of their religious orgins was never mentioned, even in adult Bible study. The advice to focus on God i will take. Because your right, I just feel a grave injustice from all of this. Plus I feel some of the views or "morals" in the Talmud are being pumped into our homes, and into our children's minds for decades now. I believe it started with my generation in the early 90's. Brittany Spears, Miley Cyrus, and so many young children have been sexualized by hollyweird and the media right in front of our eyes!! Its spiraled out of control and now LGBT is being crammed down our throats and were all supposed to accept it. Well I'm not. Now they want to tack a "P" to the end of that for "PEDOPHILE"!! It churns my stomach. It feels like the Talmud's values have slowly been injected into our society right under our noses. I believe this was the agenda all along. Please pray for the Lord to ease my heart and mind on this. I am very troubled by it.
The Jews of today are not the same as the Israelites of old.

Israelites were the chosen people, but they were exiled and then awaited their savior. Their savior came and some of the Judeans became Christians and some became Jews.

The only Jews that follow the original Judaism are a small and silent minority of Jews who follow the Torah only. They are still waiting for their messiah.

Most Jews are Zionists who follow the Torah, Talmud and Kabbalah. They no longer believe the Torah is literal. But they hate Christianity for becoming so popular and many of them are very intolerant to others. They still believe they are God's chosen people and that one day the promises of God will come true.

Many normal every day Zionist Jews are just trying to make a living and don't really know why they follow Zionism. I think they just don't question history or their faith enough. Many of them live secular lives but still feel different because of their history and the holocaust.

True Torah Jews, Zionist Jews and Christians are all forked from the original branch.

And if Christians are correct in their belief that Jesus was the messiah then their branch is the correct one and a continuation of all those old bible stories.

Aug 15, 2020
I believe this is talking about Zionism

Revelations 3:9 ...who claim to be Jews though they are not, but are liars—I will make them come and fall down at your feet and acknowledge that I have loved you.

Aug 15, 2020
I don't accept them as better than us. I was never taught that. There are some people like John Haggee who claim that Paul was a heretic and that Jews are the chosen people of God. But these people are a minority within Christianity. The sad thing is they are more influential than they should be within America but not the rest of the world.