The time and place of conversion.

  • Thread starter Thread starter mikeuk
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
more testimony...my father was healed of cancer ..this is what caused him to be baptized and receive the Holy Ghost ( with the signs following, tongues etc mark 16v16 +) he could not argue with an experience ! ( its better felt than telt ! )

I have had many healing s ..hay fever..and just 2 years ago I had a stroke..all left side collapsed..at the cat scan they said I was a very sick puppy and another said I was "lucky" I wasnt a vegetable (their words)..one nurse asked me ( for the documents) do I smoke..drink..drugs..etc..then asked is there anything they should know..!!(what an opportunity !!) I said you should repent be baptized and receive the Holy Ghost..!!!

anyway ....in 24 hours I was up and ready to go..at which point the specialist came in, with 2 interns and said to them .." what you have seen here in 24 hours should have taken many weeks to come good !" praise the Lord..( they did a second ct scan to make sure before allowed to go!) his miracles havnt changed ..his way hasnt changed..mens ideas have..

ps its NOT automatic ( to receive the Holy Ghost) eg..

15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
 
A genuine question here. I am new to this forum. My own history is varied, I started anglican, tried a couple of evangelical groups, and ended up RCC Ok, Ok, this is not the place to discuss that. I am here to find out about others, rather than talk about me.

So When I read people are "saved" and give a date often, what act of "conversion?" do you consider was the point at which you were saved. I am genuinely interested in the answer, also if you broadly belong to a congregation that has a denomination (eg southern baptist, presbyterian) whatever. I read a lot of disagreement here on different factions eg over OSAS, but that is not the purpose of the thread.

My question is what specific action do you consider saved you - or defined the specific date on which you were saved? What did you actually do, or consider that christ did in you on that date? And if that links directly to one particular scripture which is it?


Am genuinely interested.

First of all, being regenerated, or born of the Spirit is entirely a separate event. You have to be born again before you can be converted. Jesus says that being born again comes as if it were a slight breeze, and most never know when it happens, however at sometime later, you are converted (to turn around). Conversion comes with a very noticeable event unlike the new birth. It seems a little like firecrackers going of in your head and has a very good feeling within you. I believe that Heb 10:32-33, is talking about being converted. 32- But call to remembrance the former days, in which after ye were illuminated, ye endured a great fight of afflictions; 33 - Partly, whist ye were made a gazingstock, both of reproaches and afflictions, and partly, whist ye became companions of them that were so used. Usually when you are converted you start attending a church and are sometimes afflicted by your past companions. Anytime there is an illumination it depicts the presence of God, such as when Paul was converted on the road to Damaskas, and he saw a bright light, brighter than the noon day sun.
 
I should think every believer should be able to say how they got saved. For me it was long ago July 1976. A number of people were witnessing to me and praying for me in the weeks leading up to that night. I had always accepted the fact that the bible was Gods word and that Jesus was Gods Son. I also knew that Jesus was crucified and died was buried and rose again from the tomb. I had been taught theses things from a child but they were not of any great importance to me.

Well it's hard to be real brief but I was working with some Christians and they were witnessing to me and giving me tons of gospel tracts. I was being made aware that I was a sinner which was no great revelation and that my sin would send me to hell. That was uncomfortable since I wasn't as bad as some people who really deserved to go to hell but the bible told me I too was hell bound.

Any how the Holy Spirit was bringing conviction in my heart on this matter. So one night I finally said to God that I did not want to go to hell even though I certainly deserved to go there. I said to God that I thought it was too good to be true that He would save me if I asked Him to do so but He did. It didn't make any sense and my intellect struggled with it but when I gave up all my reasons not to trust Christ and asked Him to save me He did. The burden of my sin was taken away right then and there. I still had moments of doubt but as I grew in the word of God even the doubts disappeared.

Ups and downs since then but way more ups than downs. I have witnessed God do many great and wonderful things in my life. Things only God could do and still does.

I hope the same is true for many here as well.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Congradulations on your story off being saved, however, you were saved (delivered, turned around) but you were already saved (delivered) eternally before you experienced being converted. Being born again and conversion are two different events. To be converted has to come sometime after you have been born of the Spirit. You would never have had an interest in being converted before you were born again according to 1 Cor 2:39.