The Trinity Test

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 17, 2020
I post to several forums. A couple of them are heavily trafficked by antitrinitarians. I noticed we have no communication when I point out obvious trinity passages and proofs. So I began offering a simple test to see if they could spot the trinity in scripture.

I ran a Logos search to list all the scriptures that mention the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit in one way or another. To my surprise, none of the antitrinitarians could see the Godhead in any of them. After several tries I realized the Spirit of Antichrist had blinded them entirely. So I realized trying to debate with them using scripture was a dead end.

Here's a sample of the test a Logos search provided if you want to check your skills.

Trinity Passages

English Standard Version 233 results in 42 verses (Partial list)

Matt 1:20

But as he considered these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary as your wife, for that which is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.

Matt 3:16

And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him;

Matt 12:18

“Behold, my servant whom I have chosen, my beloved with whom my soul is well pleased. I will put my Spirit upon him, and he will proclaim justice to the Gentiles.

Matt 12:28

But if it is by the Spirit of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.

Matt 22:43

He said to them, “How is it then that David, in the Spirit, calls him Lord, saying,

There are many. But this is a small sample of the test.

More from the entire bible if interested

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019
One of the problems is the term "Trinity." I believe the first written usage of the word is found in the works of Ignatius of Antioch around AD 110. This is, of course, why the term isn't found in the Scriptures. The authors of the Bible didn't need a name to describe what is clearly understood from the Tanakh, the fact that there is one God and Father of us all (Mal 2:10), that he has a Son, the Messiah (Ps 2; Da 7:13-14), and that His Spirit was present from the beginning (Ge 1:2).

Jan 17, 2020
One of the problems is the term "Trinity." I believe the first written usage of the word is found in the works of Ignatius of Antioch around AD 110. This is, of course, why the term isn't found in the Scriptures. The authors of the Bible didn't need a name to describe what is clearly understood from the Tanakh, the fact that there is one God and Father of us all (Mal 2:10), that he has a Son, the Messiah (Ps 2; Da 7:13-14), and that His Spirit was present from the beginning (Ge 1:2).
Many say this but look what I found.

The word Trinity not in scripture?

The corresponding word in Greek is "Τριάς" (Trias), meaning "a set of three" or "the number three." https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity

“For there are three [Τριάς] that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.” 1 John 5:7 (KJV 1900)

I also have evidence the Johannine Comma was in older manuscripts yet, still waiting to be uncovered.

Jan 17, 2020
Trinity Passages The complete list.
English Standard Version 233 results in 42 verses

But as he considered these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary as your wife, for that which is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.

And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him;

“Behold, my servant whom I have chosen, my beloved with whom my soul is well pleased. I will put my Spirit upon him, and he will proclaim justice to the Gentiles.

But if it is by the Spirit of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.

He said to them, “How is it then that David, in the Spirit, calls him Lord, saying,

Matt 28:19

Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Luke 1:35
And the angel answered her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy—the Son of God.

Luke 2:26
And it had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord’s Christ.

Luke 3:22
and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form, like a dove; and a voice came from heaven, “You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.”

Luke 10:21
In that same hour he rejoiced in the Holy Spirit and said, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will.

John 1:33
I myself did not know him, but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’

John 3:5
Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

John 3:34
For he whom God has sent utters the words of God, for he gives the Spirit without measure.

John 14:16
And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever,

John 14:26
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

John 15:26
“But when the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness about me.

John 16:15
All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.

Acts 1:4
And while staying with them he ordered them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise of the Father, which, he said, “you heard from me;

Acts 2:33
Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this that you yourselves are seeing and hearing.

Acts 7:55
But he, full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God.

Acts 10:38
how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power. He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him.

Rom 1:4
and was declared to be the Son of God in power according to the Spirit of holiness by his resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord,

Rom 8:9
You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him.

Rom 8:11
If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.

Rom 15:16
to be a minister of Christ Jesus to the Gentiles in the priestly service of the gospel of God, so that the offering of the Gentiles may be acceptable, sanctified by the Holy Spirit.

Rom 15:30
I appeal to you, brothers, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to strive together with me in your prayers to God on my behalf,

1 Cor 6:11
And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

1 Cor 12:3
Therefore I want you to understand that no one speaking in the Spirit of God ever says “Jesus is accursed!” and no one can say “Jesus is Lord” except in the Holy Spirit.

2 Cor 3:3
And you show that you are a letter from Christ delivered by us, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.

2 Cor 13:14
The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

Gal 4:6
And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!”

Eph 2:18

For through him we both have access in one Spirit to the Father.

Eph 2:22

In him you also are being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit.

Phil 3:3

For we are the circumcision, who worship by the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh—

2 Thess 2:13
But we ought always to give thanks to God for you, brothers beloved by the Lord, because God chose you as the firstfruits to be saved, through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth.

Titus 3:6

whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior,

Heb 9:14

how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to serve the living God.

Heb 10:29
How much worse punishment, do you think, will be deserved by the one who has trampled underfoot the Son of God, and has profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has outraged the Spirit of grace?

1 Pet 1:2
according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in the sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and for sprinkling with his blood: May grace and peace be multiplied to you.

1 Pet 4:14
If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you.

1 John 4:2
By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God,

Rev 2:7
He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who conquers I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.’

UnitedWithChrist

Aug 12, 2019
It doesn't matter. The concept is clearly taught.

1. There is one God (YHVH).
2. The Father is God (YHVH).
3. The Son is God (YHVH).
4. The Holy Spirit is God (YHVH).
5. These three are distinct, coessential, coeternal Persons. They are not sock-puppets; they are distinct Persons.

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
true but do you believe the Son is just a regular guy or God in the flesh?

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
This clinches it for me...

John 5:23 (KJV) That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

coupled with...

Acts 5:3-4 (KJV) But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land? Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.

OneOfHis

Mar 24, 2019
1 John 5:7
7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
So I realized trying to debate with them using scripture was a dead end.
True. You can show then 100 Scriptures, but that makes absolutely no difference. This includes the Modalists.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
I post to several forums. A couple of them are heavily trafficked by antitrinitarians. I noticed we have no communication when I point out obvious trinity passages and proofs. So I began offering a simple test to see if they could spot the trinity in scripture.

I ran a Logos search to list all the scriptures that mention the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit in one way or another. To my surprise, none of the antitrinitarians could see the Godhead in any of them. After several tries I realized the Spirit of Antichrist had blinded them entirely. So I realized trying to debate with them using scripture was a dead end.

Here's a sample of the test a Logos search provided if you want to check your skills.

Trinity Passages

English Standard Version 233 results in 42 verses (Partial list)

There are many. But this is a small sample of the test.

More from the entire bible if interested
Trinity or Father, Son, Holy Spirit was in the beginning and will be in the end. For who denies this from plain as day scriptures isnt even worth debating. In fact much of scriptures about Jesus wouldn't make any sense if He wasn't God incarnate.

This is simple core Christian doctrine, if one was to twist or divert this, then much of core Biblical theology doesn't make any sense.

DustyRhodes

Dec 30, 2016
This might help also.

Trinity…..1 john 5
7 For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one. 8 And there are three that bear witness on earth: the Spirit, the water, and the blood; and these three agree as one.

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019
Many say this but look what I found.

The word Trinity not in scripture?

The corresponding word in Greek is "Τριάς" (Trias), meaning "a set of three" or "the number three." https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity

“For there are three [Τριάς] that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.” 1 John 5:7 (KJV 1900)

I also have evidence the Johannine Comma was in older manuscripts yet, still waiting to be uncovered.
I absolutely agree with 1 John 5:7. His understanding is exactly what appears in the Tanakh. The term "trinity" or any other word that someone may use to describe the oneness of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit is just not necessary when you understand the concept from the Jewish perspective.

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019
true but do you believe the Son is just a regular guy or God in the flesh?
John 14:8-11 (TLV)
Philip said to him, "Master, show us the Father, and it is enough for us." Yeshua said to him, "Have I been with you for so long a time, and you haven't come to know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? Don't you believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me? The words I say to you, I do not speak on My own; but the Father dwelling in Me does His works. Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me—or at least believe because of the works themselves.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
Why don't you let God be God without these limitations and quantification? God is neither one nor two nor three in quantity, He is a spirit.
One simple question for you:

Q. Is Jesus one person and one God by Himself or is He God only when He is with Father and the Holy spirit?

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
You all heard of the Jewish concept of agency?

Its related to when Jesus was doing things 'by the hand of the Father' and when He was talking about being 'one with the Father'

The concept is along the lines of the agent of someone being 'as if they are the person'

So it shows Jesus' deity.. equality with the Father

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019

5. These three are distinct, coessential, coeternal Persons. They are not sock-puppets; they are distinct Persons.
The Jewish understanding of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit is all that is required.

1 John 5:6-12 (TLV)
Messiah Yeshua is the One who came by water and blood—not by water only, but by water and blood. The Spirit is the One who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth. for there are three that testify—the Spirit, the water, and the blood—and these three are one. If we accept men's testimony, God's testimony is greater—for this it is the testimony that God has given about His Son. The one who trust in Ben-Elohim has the testimony in himself; the one who does not trust in God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed in the testimony that God has given about His Son. And the testimony is this—that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. The one who has the Son has life; the one who does not have Ben-Elohim does not have life.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Why don't you let God be God without these limitations and quantification? God is neither one nor two nor three in quantity, He is a spirit.
One simple question for you:

Q. Is Jesus one person and one God by Himself or is He God only when He is with Father and the Holy spirit?
I see it as the one being God.. manifesting Himself in three images/expressions.

There is probably problems with this view but I find it difficult using the term 'persons' because it makes me think of seperate beings. Anyway.. Jesus is God, so is the Father ..so is the Holy Spirit

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I hope you see the contradiction in your statement. (I highlighted it)

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
I hope you see the contradiction in your statement. (I highlighted it)
There's no contradiction; you can not quantify spirit, i hope you understand that.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014

Amen! There is one God in essence/nature yet distinct in three Persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.