The wife of a California megachurch pastor tragically took her own life last weekend, leaving behind her husband and five kids under the age of 6.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Socreta93

Jul 28, 2015
In a sermon message preached to the congregation this past Sunday, North Coast Church Pastor Larry Osborne told congregants about the death of 28-year-old Paige Hilken, the wife of one of North Coast’s teaching pastors, Christopher Hilken. Christopher Hilken is also the leader of the church’s young adult program called “The Jordan.”

Osborne revealed that Hilken had taken her life after suffering from mental health troubles. A staff member from the Vista-based North Coast Church, who preferred to remain anonymous, recently told The Christian Post that a letter was sent through email to all the church congregants to inform them about Hilken’s death.

Advertisement

However, the source said, “there are still many details that remain a mystery about Paige’s death.” According to Christianity Today, Pastor Larry Osborne told the church in a sermon last Sunday that Paige had been struggling for several months and had checked herself into a leading mental health clinic. “But sadly, it wasn’t enough,” Osborne said.

“It’s a broken world, but the beauty is that Paige is in the presence of the Lord right now.” He added, “The whole sense of fear and compulsiveness had just kind of taken her over, and we were praying for her, and we were counseling for her. We were doing everything we can.”

Crystal Rosenthal, head of athletics at Concordia University Irvine, where Hilken played softball, called her a “simply amazing” person. “She was brilliant, driven, kind, generous, and always rooting for others to succeed,” said Rosenthal.

“She pushed herself in everything that she did and helped bring others up along the way. She was the kind of person that would spend her time figuring out ways to inspire and motivate others, and was passionate about her love for God and her love for her family.”
Wife of California megachurch pastor, and mother of 5 takes her own life

Depression sucks we need to have the same compassion for people with depression as we do that have cancer. Mental health needs to be taken seriously. It really sucks, I know full well that people can fake being happy throughout life to avoid any judgment on you.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
How very sad and tragic. My condolences to all who loved this woman...

Icedaisey

Jul 19, 2021
I think there may eventually be more that comes to light in this sad story.

God rest her soul to peace and comfort her babies.

Five pregnancies in six years. Lord have mercy for her husband did not.

S

SophieT

I can't imagine the pressure. and yes, 5 children all under 6. some women have trouble coping with one or two

very tragic

MatthewWestfieldUK

May 13, 2021
The mega aspect sounds like pressure like a corporate ceo. Families need time, care and relaxation to flourish. The worship of money and size sounds very like a business vibe not an organic community in guidance.

Apr 12, 2021

Depression sucks we need to have the same compassion for people with depression as we do that have cancer. Mental health needs to be taken seriously. It really sucks, I know full well that people can fake being happy throughout life to avoid any judgment on you.
Prayers for dad and their five kids, and all mourning her passing: may the Lord's grace and perfect love comfort them in their grief and bring them peace. In Jesus's Holy name 🙏 Amen.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
sad
that is a lot of children but then how many in this 'megachurch' they will rally round Im sure.

I thought pastors or bishops in ministry were not meant to be too young or recent converts because they get puffed up with pride. Arent they meant to be ELDERS who have children that are also believers and have run their household well?

Not meant to judge this pastor but how old is he cant have been that old if his wife was just twenty eight and still having children. Why are many pastors these days really young? . The test comes when the children reach their teen years how do the parents handle them.

3angelsmsg

Mar 1, 2018
Wow. She is still very young. I cannot imagine ending my life so young. All of us at some point had gone through depression in our lives. Depression has it roots or cause in relationships. We all grow up with wrong way of thinking. We have desire for love and expectations from others. When we don't receive those things which we think we are entitled to receive. It cause dissatisfaction and unhappiness. It is very sad. It is understandable if you lose your purpose or have no reason to be alive for you will make an end to it.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Very true.

The mega aspect sounds like pressure like a corporate ceo. Families need time, care and relaxation to flourish. The worship of money and size sounds very like a business vibe not an organic community in guidance.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Grandparents, aunties and uncles are a mothers support network I really dont think young mothers are meant to do eveything on their own but so many take it all upon themselves.

Remember how Mary was pregnant with Jesus and Elizabeth her cousin was as well she wasnt going through childbirth alone. We dont really hear about Jesus grandparents but he had elders praying for him at the temple..,Anna and Simeon. I kinda wonder what this young mum was going through that this happened. when presented with mental health troubles what happens these days is people send them to the doctor and they get prescribed drugs or a pill to take to 'control their mood' .
Many Never get the support they need or ability to take a break or go on a retreat or mental health day or anything. Just expected to soldier on or they have to wait months and months to see a health professional.

The other thing is there are so many drugs out there these days that can have suicidal side effects. Many people arent aware just what they are taking...it might be something for a headache or asthma or some other affliction or maybe even birth control pills or supplements and then suddenly you feel or rotten and decide to end it because the meds interfere with neurostransmitters to your brain and starve it of oxygen.

This is a wake up call for christians to address everyones mental wellbeing every day. To be kind and gentle to on another and not ignore the signs.

chess21

Aug 17, 2021
Please learn from the bible this. If you grew up in the 70s and 80s Queen song. “Don't try suicide” Queen - Don't Try Suicide (Official Lyric Video) - Bing video

I like the message and the sound of this song . .

God doesn't want you or anyone to give up on life. God is our creator. It's up to God to take us only. If we take our life we have judged ourselves. The devil will lie that you have no reason to live.

If you ever feel really hurt call family, friends or go to counseling for help. . Don't let taking your life be an option. Suicide can lead you to the bad place. You committed murder upon yourself. Not being able to repent of this sin . . don't ever believe this is a fast way to get to God.

I've tried this more than once. I tell you by true experience. Never ever try to take your life . . God wants you to live and to be of his purpose to use you in any condition you are in. Even if you're in bed. Witness Christ to people around you if you can.

Matthew 11:28-30 NKJV

28Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am [a]gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

God is there in all situations if you just lean upon him . Even when you think there's no hope or anything that you can do he'll be there is you just ask. There's nothing that God can't do.

Jul 28, 2021

I've never understood how it is possible for a Spirit-filled believer to be depressed or have a mental health issue. It is so in contrast to God's word. He will keep those in perfect peace whose eyes are stayed on Him.

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
I've never understood how it is possible for a Spirit-filled believer to be depressed or have a mental health issue. It is so in contrast to God's word. He will keep those in perfect peace whose eyes are stayed on Him.

The human brain is as capable of malfunctioning as any other organ in the body. What people may experience during real clinical depression can be far worse than the negative emotions of a normal healthy system. Not something you can decide to control anymore than you can decide to control arthritis or cancer.

EnglishChick

Apr 20, 2021
England UK

Obviously so someone in treatment for severe mental health issues, I must also not be a true Christian .

Oh well... (Shrugs)

MatthewWestfieldUK

May 13, 2021
I go to God because of my issues. I still need worldly support too. Food, shelter, money and medicine.

Nov 26, 2012
I know there is debates on either side of the mega church argument. The problem isn’t the size of the congregation, it’s the focus of the leadership. Within numbers there is power to make a difference. Which difference is decided by the leadership.

MatthewWestfieldUK

May 13, 2021
True. But hard to meet with leadership of a larger org. Have you had any experience?

verdant

Sep 6, 2021
I am almost certain her depression was postpartum depression--she was only 28 years old and had just given birth 3-4 months prior to her fifth child. Her husband had mentioned that the depression had 'come out of nowhere' and that she had never been depressed before. Even if she married at 20 that means bearing a child less than every 2 years. I believe many women have committed suicide as a result of unbalanced hormones and that included pms--which can be accompanied by deep depression--I'm truly surprised her doctor should have considered this since the onset was so sudden.