There was a Time

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
I have read a lot of encouragement messages on social media that talk about walking away from broken relationships, holding your head up, and going forward. When I would speak with young women and teens and hear their pain, their truth was something they couldn't bring themselves to share. They believed that only those that treated them badly, saw the real them. They couldn't let go because they thought it was their only chance of finding love. Even in the church there are many people who do not believe that they can be truly loved. They see themselves as unloveable, not enough. These women touched me deeply and this poem was inspired by them.

The was a Time

There was a time when she was enough.
It was brief,
but the light that streamed into the window of her tiny bedroom
was brilliant.
She'd dance with the dust motes, floating in the air,
flinging her arms from side to side
and feel the pain of hope.
Those days were never long but she'd turn the spines of the books
to the back of the shelves.
She refused to read the records of her past that would make short work of any of her dreams.
She lived for those moments, where again,
She was all that she needed to be,
even though,
eventually,
a new page would appear in her hand and slip to the floor.
She'd keen for the loss of the man
who rejected her over and over again.
She hoped for one more moment of being seen,
for the words that seemed to speak her true name,
and the happiness that only worked if she lied.
It wouldn't last,
but if, by sheer force of will,
she could make it happen,
she would.
Again and again she reached out in the hope
that there would be one more time,
when she was enough.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
Wow. That was beautiful and also very sad.
Not all people are strong enough to let go of the things that hurt them or brave enough to hold on to the things that heal them. In letting them know that they are seen and understood, there is the potential for an open door and communication.

M

morefaithrequired

we need sensitive people in the world like L.H.

von1

Apr 22, 2010
I usually don't come to this forums to often but I saw a couple of your poems and read them. The poem was very beautiful and you have a way with words that touch the heart.

Dec 22, 2018
She hoped for one more moment of being seen,
for the words that seemed to speak her true name,
and the happiness that only worked if she lied.
It wouldn't last,
but if, by sheer force of will,
she could make it happen,
she would.
Again and again she reached out in the hope
that there would be one more time,
when she was enough.
Sounds like shes pining for someone who has zero desire for her. Happens. Heartbreaking. Yes. But so now

instead of her strengthening herself and finding someone who would love her for her, shes just not enough??

Hm maybe I read that wrong, but definitely not advice I'd support.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
Sounds like shes pining for someone who has zero desire for her. Happens. Heartbreaking. Yes. But so now

instead of her strengthening herself and finding someone who would love her for her, shes just not enough??

Hm maybe I read that wrong, but definitely not advice I'd support.
Hi there. This was definitely not advice on how to live. It is a poem. It was a truth about how some people really live. We have all read the posts online about how we should walk away from situations that are not good for us. That is true, but not everyone makes that decision or feels strong enough to do that. This was about someone who didn't let go. We know what she should do. We know what we should do. We don't always do it. It is not about me (in case you were wondering). I have met too many women who go back, again and again, to situations where they are not loved. It is heartbreaking. The truth is that though it would be nice to believe that people go on to be strong, it isn't necessarily their reality. It would be a feel good story but my character did not believe, on her own, she was enough.
Why did I write it? First, it is some women's truth. Some women and men might read it and see themselves. They don't feel like they can talk about it as they know people will just tell them to stop. As a Christian I want people to feel that they are heard and understood. We as a church will not have real community if we all have to pretend that we don't have problems and struggles.
It is OK if my writing does not resonate with you, but please realize that this is not intended to be an example to follow, only someone's reality that we can try and understand. If we understand a little more, we can be there for people who do not believe they are enough. We do not need to lecture or teach, we are called to pray and love.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
I usually don't come to this forums to often but I saw a couple of your poems and read them. The poem was very beautiful and you have a way with words that touch the heart.
Thanks so much. I appreciate your kindness.

Dec 22, 2018
some
haven't eyes to see or ears to hear

fortunately
I'm not one of them

That poem was not written by a woman.

Dec 22, 2018
know how you get tips in the jar? Of course you do. Start the jar with a dollar fifty.

How many agreements and false adoration came from your own pocket? The whole buck fifty was it?

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
know how you get tips in the jar? Of course you do. Start the jar with a dollar fifty.

How many agreements and false adoration came from your own pocket? The whole buck fifty was it?
I am sincerely confused by your comment. If you don't like my writing then that is OK but to accuse me of writing fake responses is beyond my understanding.