Thief in the Night-- Pretrib or Second Coming?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
So you believe the Apostle Paul was in error when he wrote:
I'm not saying PAUL is in error, but that your definition of "the day of the Lord" is flawed.

"Now concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered together to Him, we ask you, brothers,
2not to be easily disconcerted or alarmed by any spirit or message or letter seeming to be from us, alleging that the Day of the Lord has already come."
It couldn't be present / here already, because (for one thing) it commences as the first "birth pang" (per 1Th5:1-4), which FIRST ONE is the "whose coming [/arrival / advent / presence / parousia]" (2Th2:9a) of THE MAN OF SIN (aka Seal #1, when Jesus FROM HIS POSITION UP IN HEAVEN will be "STANDING to JUDGE" [Isa3:13] BY His opening the 1st Seal at the START of that future TIME PERIOD; the thing [or rather, the PERSON: "A CERTAIN ONE [G5100 - tis]"] which Jesus spoke of in His Olivet Discourse as the FIRST ITEM referred to WITHIN "the BEGINNING of birth PANGS [plural]" which all unfold well-prior to His RETURN to the earth... indeed they begin unfolding upon the earth 7-yrs prior. The "SEALS" ARE "the BEGINNING of birth PANGS". And none of this ^ even speaks to "our Rapture"... I'm not saying that... just to be clear.)

presidente

May 29, 2013
For some reason, I keep missing seeing some of these posts...

It appears you've missed the point I'd made in that post.

...and, besides that, in my viewpoint Christ only will "RETURN" ONCE, that is "to the earth," FOR the earthly Millennial Kingdom age, which is what the two references using "return" speak of:

--Luke 12:36-37,38,40,42-44 (parallel with Matthew 24:42-51), "when he will RETURN FROM the wedding" (as an already-wed Bridegroom, not TO BE wed to those persons [saints / blessed] in that text, at that point)... THEN "the meal [G347]" (aka the earthly MK age or at least its inauguration);
If Jesus uses a wedding feast in a parable, that doesn't mean He has to be talking about the marriage supper of the Lamb. But why would you exclude his listeners, the disciples in Matthew 24, from the bride of Christ through your interpretation? And why would He want His own disciples to be prepared for a second, second coming that is supposed to be for those who miss the first load?

If 'ye' includes them and later believers they represent, as in the church, that makes sense. But having him say 'ye' for non-church people, in your theory, doesn't make much sense.

--Luke 18:12,15,17,19 (parallel Matt25:1-13) "return"... when He will deal out responsibilities having to do with, "have thou authority over 10 cities" (note: "cities" are on the earth) and "likewise... be thou also over 5 cities"
How do you think this relates to post-trib?

The texts actually say that "the meeting of the Lord IN THE AIR" and "our episynagoges UNTO HIM" indeed takes place UP OFF OF THE EARTH; and neither passage indicates that He continues coming on down to the earth at that point in time.
Pre-trib does not get to be the default. We should interpret what is actually in the Bible, not take some external theory and assume that happens.

Take a look at these passages from the same book:

I Thessalonians 3
12 And may the Lord make you increase and abound in love to one another and to all, just as we do to you, 13 so that He may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all His saints. (NKJV

Commentator say 'all his saints' includes angels, or includes angels and men. First of all, if Jesus is coming with all His saints in the pre-trib scenario, that's the second, second coming, not the first. In the first, He raptures believers in the pre-trib scenario then in the second second coming He is supposed to bring them back.

But in this verse, his immediate readers are 'church' people, and Paul expects the church to be here when He comes back with all His saints. But how is it possible for the church to be hear when He comes back with ALL his saints if these church people are saints, too? We can keep reading in this very same epistle.

I Thessalonians 4
15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. 16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore comfort one another with these words. (NKJV)

That's how! When He returns back, we go meet Him in the air. Also notice he says 'the coming of the Lord' not 'one of the comings of the Lord.' I know you want to turn terms into long time periods. Coming of the Lord means coming of the Lord. It doesn't mean 'span of time.' The preterists try to make the coming of the Son of man mean the destruction of the temple, too. It's something like allegorical interpretation. It's redefining terms, more or less.

And the chapter divisions were added by a monk centuries later. The letter continues.

I Thessalonians 5
1 But concerning the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need that I should write to you. 2 For you yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so comes as a thief in the night. 3 For when they say, “Peace and safety!” then sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. And they shall not escape. 4 But you, brethren, are not in darkness, so that this Day should overtake you as a thief. 5 You are all sons of light and sons of the day. We are not of the night nor of darkness. 6 Therefore let us not sleep, as others do, but let us watch and be sober. 7 For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk are drunk at night. 8 But let us who are of the day be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet the hope of salvation. 9 For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, 10 who died for us, that whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with Him.[/quote]

Notice the warning about getting drunk and being sober, and compare to the advice about the clearly post-tribulational coming of the Son of man passage Matthew 24. Notice the reference to a thief, which also shows up in the same clearly post-tribulational passage.

2Th2 especially talks about many other points in time, including the point when the man of sin will be "sitting in the temple of God, declaring..." but I think you would agree that that is not occurring at the point in time of Christ's "Second Coming to the earth"... so Paul is covering A SPANS of time...
Read the passage. The apostacy has to happen and the man of sin has to be revealed FIRST. In Matthew, the love of many grows cold, there are many false prophets that arise and deceive many. That happens before the coming of the Son of Man in the passage. The example you are using doesn't illustrate 'spans of time' here.

the disagreement comes as to what all is included in that spans of time he's covering, and as I've put in past threads, I have biblical explanation as to what spans that actually is and covers, just like all the other passages touching on this Subject do / agree.
But these arguments are just trying to figure out a way to make all the things referred to in passages refer to long time periods just so you can preserve pre-trib, in spite of the passages not looking pre-trib. But again, where is the evidence for pre-trib in the first place to justify all the unnatural interpretations of these passages? And how do you explain away the I Thessalonians 3 passage above?

yes, to commence "the TIMES OF" (which "TIMES OF" includes Israel again being called by God "My people, Israel"--which takes place BEFORE His Second Coming TO THE EARTH FOR their promised and prophesied earthly Millennial Kingdom)
Show scripture please that shows the fulness of the Gentiles coming in ending and Israel's blindness being ended during that seven year time, as opposed to right at his coming or some other time. People of many tribes come out of the great tribulation in Revelation 7.

presidente

May 29, 2013
I'm not saying PAUL is in error, but that your definition of "the day of the Lord" is flawed.

It couldn't be present / here already, because (for one thing) it commences as the first "birth pang" (per 1Th5:1-4), which FIRST ONE is the "whose coming [/arrival / advent / presence / parousia]" (2Th2:9a) of THE MAN OF SIN (aka Seal #1, when Jesus FROM HIS POSITION UP IN HEAVEN will be "STANDING to JUDGE" [Isa3:13] BY His opening the 1st Seal at the START of that future TIME PERIOD; the thing [or rather, the PERSON: "A CERTAIN ONE [G5100 - tis]"] which Jesus spoke of in His Olivet Discourse as the FIRST ITEM referred to WITHIN "the BEGINNING of birth PANGS [plural]" which all unfold well-prior to His RETURN to the earth... indeed they begin unfolding upon the earth 7-yrs prior. The "SEALS" ARE "the BEGINNING of birth PANGS". And none of this ^ even speaks to "our Rapture"... I'm not saying that... just to be clear.)
Why don't you read that sentence out loud and see if you understand what you are saying. The caps and characters make it hard to read as well.

Aug 2, 2021

It couldn't be present / here already, because (for one thing) it commences as the first "birth pang" (per 1Th5:1-4), which FIRST ONE is the "whose coming [/arrival / advent / presence / parousia]" (2Th2:9a) of THE MAN OF SIN (aka Seal #1, when Jesus FROM HIS POSITION UP IN HEAVEN will be "STANDING to JUDGE" [Isa3:13] BY His opening the 1st Seal at the START of that future TIME PERIOD; the thing Jesus spoke of in His Olivet Discourse as the FIRST ITEM referred to WITHIN "the BEGINNING of birth PANGS [plural]" which all unfold well-prior to His RETURN to the earth... indeed they begin unfolding upon the earth 7-yrs prior. The "SEALS" ARE "the BEGINNING of birth PANGS". And none of this ^ even speaks to "our Rapture"... I'm not saying that... just to be clear.)
Paul wrote to us, and all before us and all after us, so that we are not decieved by a false report of a pre-trib rapture and being 'Left Behind' to suffer the DOL.

presidente

May 29, 2013
You just insert a different concept into 'day of the Lord' from what Paul is talking about in the context, as if he's kind of changing the subject midstream.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
If Jesus uses a wedding feast in a parable, that doesn't mean He has to be talking about the marriage supper of the Lamb. But why would you exclude his listeners, the disciples in Matthew 24, from the bride of Christ through your interpretation? And why would He want His own disciples to be prepared for a second, second coming that is supposed to be for those who miss the first load?
The "ye / you" of the Olivet Discourse is a "proleptic 'you'" (meaning basically, "all those in the future OF THE SAME CATEGORY"), and in this context, He is speaking to them as THOSE TO WHOM the promised and prophesied earthly Millennial Kingdom WAS PROMISED (believing Israel).

Their question to Him in Matthew 24:3 (to which Jesus' response in 2 chpts follows) was BASED ON what He had ALREADY spoken to them about in Matt13:24,30,39,40,49-50 about "the end [singular] of the age [singular]" (when the angels will "REAP"--that's at His Second Coming to the earth, by the way). At that time, the angels will be instructed "gather [/collect] ye FIRST the TARES..."--this is NOT "our Rapture," and indeed occurs in the EXACT OPPSITE SEQUENCE from that of "our Rapture" event.

Tell me, if you don't mind, do you read that text in Matt13 to indeed be saying (to the angels), "gather [/collect] ye FIRST the TARES..."?

If you agree it indeed says this, how are you seeing this "fit" with what you think it is that Paul is making a point to say in 2Th2? ("first" is also used by Paul in this passage, just to point out...)

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
Paul wrote to us, and all before us and all after us
I agree that Paul's words in this text are [intended by the Holy Spirit as well as by Paul] to be understood as addressed to the entire "Church which is His body" (US INCLUDED)...

, so that we are not decieved by a false report of a pre-trib rapture and being 'Left Behind' to suffer the DOL.
... but I disagree that that was the Subject / Substance / Content of the false report in v.2 (that could ever be "purported" to them or to us).

The false claim has NOTTHING TO DO with the Subject of "RAPTURE [IN THE AIR]" event, but rather had to do with an EARTHLY-LOCATED TIME PERIOD (purporting that it "IS PRESENT"--that is, already present [started at a point of time IN PAST] and unfolding in their own [or even in our] present experience / existence. That's it. That's the content of the "false report / claim"--nothing else).

Aug 2, 2021
I agree that Paul's words in this text are [intended by the Holy Spirit as well as by Paul] to be understood as addressed to the entire "Church which is His body" (US INCLUDED)...

... but I disagree that that was the Subject / Substance / Content of the false report in v.2 (that could ever be "purported" to them or to us).

The false claim has NOTTHING TO DO with the Subject of "RAPTURE [IN THE AIR]" event, but rather had to do with an EARTHLY-LOCATED TIME PERIOD (purporting that it "IS PRESENT"--that is, already present [started at a point of time IN PAST] and unfolding in their own [or even in our] present experience / existence).
Please read again (slowly)
a.) "Now concerning the Coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered together to Him, = rapture

Peace and Good Nite Brother

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
Please read again (slowly)
a.) "Now concerning the Coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered together to Him, = rapture

Peace and Good Nite Brother
Yes, "Now concerning [that v.1 Subject]" BECAUSE (v.3) "the day of the Lord will NOT be present [as the false claim v.2 purports "IS"], if not shall have come THE DEPARTURE [Paul's v.1 Subject] *FIRST* [ONE THING FIRST!] and [distinctly] the man of sin BE REVEALED..."
(he is "REVEALED" at the START of the 7-yr period [the ARRIVAL of "the DOTL"], aka "Seal #1 / the INITIAL "birth PANG [singular; 1Th5:1-3]" of MANY MORE "birth PANGS" Jesus spoke of as occurring in the time period LEADING UP and PRIOR TO His Return to the earth! Those "BPs" aren't occurring at the END of the Trib, nor AFTER, at His Second Coming to the earth point in time Rev19... NO!)

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
You just insert a different concept into 'day of the Lord' from what Paul is talking about in the context, as if he's kind of changing the subject midstream.
He's not "changing subjects" midstream; Paul is telling how the one fits in relation to the other, time/sequence-wise.

Don't believe anyone telling you "that the day of the Lord IS PRESENT / ALREADY HERE [perfect indicative]". It isn't, and Paul explains WHY.

Because ONE THING must happen *FIRST* (distinct from "the man of sin be revealed); and that ONE THING is the very Subject PAUL is bringing to the fore (v.1 and even before, but esp. v.1), in view of the "false claim" of v.2 (a claim which isn't restricted to the Thessalonians' own lifetimes, but applies even now... if anyone comes "purporting that the day of the Lord IS PRESENT / IS ALREADY HERE," this passage has the corrective to such a false claim).

Verse 15 (the back end of the bookends, so to speak) is basically saying, "believe US / what WE taught you" don't believe THEM (v.2)

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
... and to be clear to the readers:

when I say, Paul is telling how the one fits in relation to the other, time/sequence-wise, I'm NOT saying "the sequence between v.1a and v.1b," no (ALL of v.1 is all at one point in time). I'm saying "[the true sequence] between the Subject of v.1 and the Subject covered by the "false claim" of verse 2"

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
OK bro. Enjoy the tribulation.
This is the epitome of pride, arrogance, ignorance, and a few other things - to believe that "anyone who does not believe in pre-trib rapture will be left behind to experience the tribulation" (or, does not believe as they do) - and then, to shove-it-in-the-face of a brother/sister in Christ... :eek: o_O :( (n) NOT :cool: SMH :rolleyes: :censored:

The Lord's love for us is not shaken by how smart or dumb we are in our knowledge of the End Times Scenario.

You should be ashamed of yourself for having that attitude and disposition.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
b.) we ask you, brothers, not to be easily disconcerted or alarmed by any spirit or message or letter seeming to be from us
c.) alleging that the Day of the Lord has already come." = SEE 1 Thessalonians 1:10
No, "the wrath coming" IS "the day of the Lord" (the thing Amos says, "Woe unto you that DESIRE the day of the Lord")

So, in 1Thessalonians 1:10, it is INSTEAD saying, "the One DELIVERING us OUT-FROM [ek] the wrath COMING" (we will not be present on the earth to experience or go through that TIME PERIOD);

Instead, you should be comparing 2Th2:2's wording (in the "false claim") with 1Th5:1-3, because THAT's where it speaks of its ARRIVAL point, and that's NOT at His Second Coming (Rev19) NOR at "our Rapture [IN THE AIR]" event--"the day of the Lord" is an EARTHLY-located time period (consisting, in part, of JUDGMENTS unfolding upon the earth over SOME TIME--something indeed to be ALARMED by, if you believed the "false claim" that it "IS PRESENT / IS ALREADY HERE"... and Paul doesn't want them to fall for that false claim and be "troubled" by such an idea)

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
And to circle back to the Subject of the OP, "the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief IN THE NIGHT" refers neither to Christ's Second Coming to the earth Rev19, nor to "our Rapture [IN THE AIR]"; "the day of the Lord" is an EARTHLY-located time period, which in part consists of judgments unfolding upon the earth OVER TIME (and yes, it goes on to include the entire MK age 1000 yrs also)

[in Rev16:14-16 (re: Rev19) He says, "Behold, I come AS A THIEF." No "IN THE NIGHT" phrase is added when speaking of Himself, His Own Personal presence returning to the earth at the Armageddon time-slot]

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
So what are we talking about here in Rev 1:1? 24 hours? The entire Church age? Or seven years? Because Rev 6 thru 19 is seven years bro. Which, by some cosmic coincidence, happens to be precisely the same time period as Daniel's 70th week. Which YOU say has already happened.
To understand the answer you seek, you must look at it from God's time frame.

Yes - Daniel's 70th week is 100% fulfilled. The 70th week ended in 34 A.D.

The 'Times of the Jews' ended; the 'Times of the Gentiles' began.

Please see:

http://mywebsite.us/BibleStudy/Time_Line.html
http://mywebsite.us/BibleStudy/Seventy_Weeks.html

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
To fill out my thought from my last post:

[in Rev16:14-16 (re: Rev19) He says, "Behold, I come AS A THIEF." No "IN THE NIGHT" phrase is added when speaking of Himself, His Own Personal presence returning to the earth at the Armageddon time-slot; And recall, "Revelation" is "The Revelation of Jesus Christ WHICH GOD GAVE UNTO HIM [unto Jesus] TO SHOW UNTO..." which is further information from what He'd said PRIOR to His resurrection, when He'd said "of that day and hour knoweth no man [not even Jesus Himself]" (about that very Subject of His RETURN to the earth), not that He would NEVER know, nor that NO ONE could ever know / be "shown" (in the Revelation--that is, in the further revelation He Himself was disclosing [Rev1:1] in 95ad, well after His resurrection and ascension and exaltation)]

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
The 'Times of the Jews' ended; the 'Times of the Gentiles' began.
The phrase "the TIMES of the Gentiles" doesn't refer to something along the lines of what is commonly called "the Church age," as many suppose.

Instead, it refers to Gentile domination over Israel, which started in 606/5bc, with Neb as "head of gold" (think: Neb's "dream / statue / image"); it will not be concluded until Christ's Second Coming to the earth (see Rev11:2, for example);
[see Dan2:35c "and FILLED the whole earth" compared with both Gen9:1 "FILL the earth" and with that of Matt24:37/Lk17:26 ("days [pl]" of the Son of man, used here)...; regarding "as the days of Noah were, so shall also..."]

--"and Jerusalem shall be TRODDEN DOWN of the Gentiles UNTIL the TIMES of the Gentiles be fulfilled"

(recall Rev17:8 saying [at the time written], "...the beast that WAS and IS NOT and YET SHALL BE [future tense]")

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
Verse 3a's "that day" refers rather to the Subject that the "false claim" of verse 2 was about--which your quote reflects the fact that you've ignored v.2 because you are incorrectly equating Paul's Subject of v.1 (our Rapture event) with the Subject of the false claim in v.2--which false claim was NOT about Christ's Second Coming to the earth, when Jesus comes back to earth. "That day" (v.3a) is not referencing v.1... it's speaking of the immediately preceding verse's false claim "purporting that the day of the Lord is present" which is a specific time-period (not that Christ's Second Coming to the earth is present--they were not "claiming" or purporting that)
BZZZZZZZZZZT! Wrong!

The phrase 'that day shall not come' in verse 3 was supplied by the translators - it cannot possibly refer to an abstract concept/idea like the one you are trying to put forth. Rather, it refers back to the phrase 'as that the day of Christ is at hand' in the previous verse.

'that day' => 'day of Christ'

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
BZZZZZZZZZZT! Wrong!

The phrase 'that day shall not come' in verse 3 was supplied by the translators - it cannot possibly refer to an abstract concept/idea like the one you are trying to put forth. Rather, it refers back to the phrase 'as that the day of Christ is at hand' in the previous verse.

'that day' => 'day of Christ'
I'm saying exactly that it DOES refer back to the Subject of verse 2!!

The thing the "false claim" was purporting "IS PRESENT / IS ALREADY HERE [perfect indicative--"Action STARTED at a specific point of time in PAST and with results continuing on into the present").

It wasn't and it hadn't. And Paul explains WHY.

But the thing they claimed "IS PRESENT" (NOT "AT HAND"--that's NOT the Greek word used here!) was "the day of the Lord".

In past threads I listed some 26 versions with v.2 saying "the day of the Lord" (rather than "the day of Christ" which is distinct)... that is, most of them have it saying such.

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
my question to you (knowing your historicist viewpoint), what are you thinking my view is saying that is supposedly in conflict with what you are making a point about in that quote at top ^ ?
That is not the issue. You misunderstood.

In post #490, I was making the point that you were quick to jump-force the rapture - and, make assumptions about what I was saying - when, that was not at all what I was talking about.

No offence meant or taken. :)

Just making a point...