Things happen...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 3, 2016
The loss of property is one thing; however, the loss of one's family is something else altogether. Why did the Lord allow the latter (Job children)?
It is a sobering thought to realize that conversations may be conducted in Heaven, even by the Lord Himself, as it regards some of His children. What is He saying about me? About you?

We see this also in 1 Kings 22:20-22 - 2 Chronicles 18:19-21

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Do you think there are parts of Scripture that you can learn nothing from? All verses have one primary meaning, but many applications.
Now your taking it to extreme .
Not every verse is about ' How can I apply this to my life ' nor is every verse about us . All of the bible is for us ,not all the bible is to us . Now this is where some get all sanctimonious and start saying silly things . " Jesus is the same yesterday ,today and tom...." yes I know but the ," all scripture is God breathed and profitable for ..."" yes I know that also . But some times folks ar e reading the verse without asking to who , why ,where and what . Especially if the words are in read. These words of Jesus tend to blown out of all focus because its Jesus speaking . Most often Jesus is talking about ISRAEL to a Jew . Jesus even says at the start of his ministry He came for the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Aug 14, 2019
Jesus' teaching is to the Jews first then to the Gentiles not part to the Gentiles.
What you suggest is a Gospel for the Jews and another for the Gentiles.
A characteristic of Divine Revelation that you(throughfaith) are not acknowledging is it's universality.

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
Now your taking it to extreme .
Not every verse is about ' How can I apply this to my life ' nor is every verse about us . All of the bible is for us ,not all the bible is to us . Now this is where some get all sanctimonious and start saying silly things . " Jesus is the same yesterday ,today and tom...." yes I know but the ," all scripture is God breathed and profitable for ..."" yes I know that also . But some times folks ar e reading the verse without asking to who , why ,where and what . Especially if the words are in read. These words of Jesus tend to blown out of all focus because its Jesus speaking . Most often Jesus is talking about ISRAEL to a Jew . Jesus even says at the start of his ministry He came for the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
Extreme? To believe that God caused many men over many years to write precisely, words that you and I and the rest of the world desperately need to hear?
It is easy to become jaded with the idea that “no one” understands, everyone is confused and I need to straighten out their understanding of the Scriptures. The Gospel is quite simple, my two small grandsons have more faith than some pastors I’ve spoken to. Do children need to know about all the different covenants?

I find this sort of debate is more about affirming ones views than trying to enlighten and encourage, which should be our focus. It is not easy and that’s why I rarely insert myself into these conversations.

One must take care when we compare the message in Genesis with the writings of Moses, David, the prophets with the NT. I find the message quite consistent, though it took me about 40 years to see it. We are commanded to study, but we must be careful that our constant reading does not bring out the the religious elitism that sought to silence Jesus.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Jesus' teaching is to the Jews first then to the Gentiles not part to the Gentiles.
What you suggest is a Gospel for the Jews and another for the Gentiles.
A characteristic of Divine Revelation that you are not acknowledging is it's universality.
The good news about the Death ,burial and resurrection is good news to preach today because we understand the fullness of it. The good news for Isreak
Extreme? To believe that God caused many men over many years to write precisely, words that you and I and the rest of the world desperately need to hear?
It is easy to become jaded with the idea that “no one” understands, everyone is confused and I need to straighten out their understanding of the Scriptures. The Gospel is quite simple, my two small grandsons have more faith than some pastors I’ve spoken to. Do children need to know about all the different covenants?

I find this sort of debate is more about affirming ones views than trying to enlighten and encourage, which should be our focus. It is not easy and that’s why I rarely insert myself into these conversations.

One must take care when we compare the message in Genesis with the writings of Moses, David, the prophets with the NT. I find the message quite consistent, though it took me about 40 years to see it. We are commanded to study, but we must be careful that our constant reading does not bring out the the religious elitism that sought to silence Jesus.
Yes every word is pure. And I believe I can teach my children these simple truths as that is my Job to do so . Its so simple that some folks have to go off to seminary to undo the simplicity. We use the same application of reading that we do for any other approach to reading. The reason young children don't understand the bible is because they get taught strange methods of reading . I believe we can use the same method of reading we use for regular books . Observation being the first thing . What is the Author wanting to say ? Who is He writing to ? what's the central theme ? ect .

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I think all the verses you mention is towards Israel not gentiles in 2020
That's just nonsensical. The call to repentance is for ALL MEN EVERYWHERE.

Looks like lately you have been going off the rails. So you need to repent.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
That's just nonsensical. The call to repentance is for ALL MEN EVERYWHERE.

Looks like lately you have been going off the rails. So you need to repent.
Do THOSE verses read they are to Gentiles or speaking to Isreal / Jews / converts to . ?

L

lenna

The context of all those verses are to Jews . We can't always make every verse apply as if its speaking to us . There's a context to who and what the speaker is addressing.
the whole Bible was written by Jews and mostly to Jewish converts with Gentiles coming in at the end

I guess you have the slimline version of the Bible

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
the whole Bible was written by Jews and mostly to Jewish converts with Gentiles coming in at the end

I guess you have the slimline version of the Bible
aside from the quip at the end lol I agree with you .

Aug 14, 2019
Do THOSE verses read they are to Gentiles or speaking to Isreal / Jews / converts to . ?
I think it's important to know the author's intent, audience, the environment etc. Especially if some dots connect that never did before and something new is understood that makes sense out of certain passages, knowledge of the author and intent helps keep one out of the weeds. OTOH most Christians get their fll from their Pastor who keeps a big eneogh yard well kept grass. What weeds?

Derek1955

Jul 2, 2020
Always will we have those who close their ears and eyes to the Truths contained in the words of Christ. His words apply to all, both Jews and Gentiles, no matter the context in which they are given. We choose to believe only that which suits our purpose at our peril.c

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Surely the words of God incarnate are meant for all people for all time. Who dare say otherwise.
Of course . Just like Genesis 6.14 but we don't follow that command to " go build an Ark ' . We taken many things from the true account of Noah and the world wide flood ,but we don't follow the command given specifically Noah .This same principle should be used as we read other passages. Thats my point .Same here luke 17 .And when he saw them, he said unto them, Go shew yourselves unto the priests. And it came to pass, that, as they went, they were cleansed. And here . mat 10.5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not. These are not directions for us to follow today. Jesus is not speaking to us here . We read WHO he's speaking to and what THEY had to do .

Last edited:
L

lenna

Of course . Just like Genesis 6.14 but we don't follow that command to " go build an Ark ' . We taken many things from the true account of Noah and the world wide flood ,but we don't follow the command given specifically Noah .This same principle should be used as we read other passages. Thats my point .Same here luke 17 .And when he saw them, he said unto them, Go shew yourselves unto the priests. And it came to pass, that, as they went, they were cleansed. And here . mat 10.5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not. These are not directions for us to follow today. Jesus is not speaking to us here . We read WHO he's speaking to and what THEY had to do .
are you trying to be funny here or do you think some of us are just plain dumb?

no one will follow this sort of irreverent logic you have going on...well maybe you :rolleyes:

your so called examples of proof of your ability to attempt to go down a rabbit trail that has 0 to do with this op. there is no general principal that applies to the exchange between God and Noah nor the 10 lepers. you don't have a point actually other than apparently trying to convince yourself that Jesus was pretty much redundant while on earth

more than sad

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Always will we have those who close their ears and eyes to the Truths contained in the words of Christ. His words apply to all, both Jews and Gentiles, no matter the context in which they are given. We choose to believe only that which suits our purpose at our peril.c
Every word is 'truth '
are you trying to be funny here or do you think some of us are just plain dumb?

no one will follow this sort of irreverent logic you have going on...well maybe you :rolleyes:

your so called examples of proof of your ability to attempt to go down a rabbit trail that has 0 to do with this op. there is no general principal that applies to the exchange between God and Noah nor the 10 lepers. you don't have a point actually other than apparently trying to convince yourself that Jesus was pretty much redundant while on earth

more than sad
Well obviously you have missed the point . Even though I put it on the lower shelf by using ' obvious and clear examples, slightly tongue in cheek to make the point . Hopefully it will become clearer the more we go on ...

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
[...]in the words of Christ. His words apply to all, both Jews and Gentiles, no matter the context in which they are given.
...for example, consider the following:

Matthew 10 -

2 And these are the names of the twelve apostles: first Simon called Peter, and his brother Andrew; and James the son of Zebedee, and his brother John; 3 Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James the son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus; 4 Simon the Zealot, and Judas Iscariot, the one also having betrayed Him.

The Ministry of the Twelve
(Mark 6:7-13; Luke 9:1-6)

5 These twelve, Jesus sent forth, having instructed them, saying: “Do not go into the way of the Gentiles and do not enter into any city of the Samaritans. 6 But go rather to those being the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 7 And going on, proclaim, saying, ‘The kingdom of the heavens has drawn near!’ 8 Heal the ailing, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers,a cast out demons! Freely you received; freely give.

This particular "instruction/direction" was given to "the 12"... not "to all, both Jews and Gentiles," for that would not even make sense. Do you think?

We are to be "correctly apportioning the word of truth" (and all of it is indeed Truth... from Genesis through Revelation... but must be correctly "applied" [to/for/about whom or what any given context pertains], for this particular passage is not "instruction" for you and I in "this present age [singular]" ;) )