Things happen...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

lenna

Every word is 'truth '
Well obviously you have missed the point . Even though I put it on the lower shelf by using ' obvious and clear examples, slightly tongue in cheek to make the point . Hopefully it will become clearer the more we go on ...
no I understood your point very well

if you don't have to build an ark, then you don't have to listen to Jesus either

too bad you miss the metaphor with the ark and Jesus

this is not said tongue in cheek nor in jest

you are very clear but you assume others do not understand you because they do not believe your doctrine of hit and miss with Jesus is correct. interestingly, people who have a divergent view of long and well established doctrine, seem to often assume such things

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
no I understood your point very well

if you don't have to build an ark, then you don't have to listen to Jesus either

too bad you miss the metaphor with the ark and Jesus

this is not said tongue in cheek nor in jest

you are very clear but you assume others do not understand you because they do not believe your doctrine of hit and miss with Jesus is correct. interestingly, people who have a divergent view of long and well established doctrine, seem to often assume such things
I've no idea what your saying ,but I.ll say this . Of course we look back with 2020 vision and see the types and shadows ect .

Apr 2, 2020
Of course . Just like Genesis 6.14 but we don't follow that command to " go build an Ark ' . We taken many things from the true account of Noah and the world wide flood ,but we don't follow the command given specifically Noah .This same principle should be used as we read other passages. Thats my point .Same here luke 17 .And when he saw them, he said unto them, Go shew yourselves unto the priests. And it came to pass, that, as they went, they were cleansed. And here . mat 10.5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not. These are not directions for us to follow today. Jesus is not speaking to us here . We read WHO he's speaking to and what THEY had to do .
This is absolutely silly, but it speaks to an incorrect manner of reading the Bible to begin with since it seems to treat it as a series of disconnected thoughts.

The statements you speak of are quite understandably not commands for all time considering they take place within narratives and all of the narrative clues tell us the commands are forwarding the narrative. The context of the passages makes it clear these are specific commands.

Yet you use the existence of narrative commands to justify ignoring moral lessons which the context does not imply are limited in scope. You wouldn't read any other book like this, would you? Ignoring the literary context and instead reading it as a series of disjointed thoughts.

Yet in order to avoid the weightier parts of the gospel you create a bizarre method of reading that defies all standard practices, that way you can write off Jesus' words as meant for another. No, every word of the Bible is for today we simply have to read it for what it is and understand the literal and historic context of the passages.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
This is absolutely silly, but it speaks to an incorrect manner of reading the Bible to begin with since it seems to treat it as a series of disconnected thoughts.

The statements you speak of are quite understandably not commands for all time considering they take place within narratives and all of the narrative clues tell us the commands are forwarding the narrative. The context of the passages makes it clear these are specific commands.

Yet you use the existence of narrative commands to justify ignoring moral lessons which the context does not imply are limited in scope. You wouldn't read any other book like this, would you? Ignoring the literary context and instead reading it as a series of disjointed thoughts.

Yet in order to avoid the weightier parts of the gospel you create a bizarre method of reading that defies all standard practices, that way you can write off Jesus' words as meant for another. No, every word of the Bible is for today we simply have to read it for what it is and understand the literal and historic context of the passages.
You may have to give some examples as to what you see im doing ?

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020

Every word is for us not every word is to us . Thats all I'm saying and I offered those verses as they demonstrate my point . For example the Disciples are preaching the Gospel prior to the death of Christ, but they are not preaching the Gospel we preach today . ( Gospel = good news of course ) . Now this is where legalists and the sanctimonious will start stripping their gears . The good news the diciples was not the same good news we preach . Evidenced by what Jesus says after they have been preaching 'good news ' . Luke 18 .

31¶Then he took unto him the twelve, and said unto them, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem, and all things that are written by the prophets concerning the Son of man shall be accomplished.
32For he shall be delivered unto the Gentiles, and shall be mocked, and spitefully entreated, and spitted on:
33And they shall scourge him, and put him to death: and the third day he shall rise again.
34¶And THEY UNDERSTOOD NONE OF THESE THINGS : and this saying was hid from them, neither knew they the things which were spoken.
Had they been preaching the Gospel we preach today Jesus would not have needed to explain to them over and over . And them not understanding any of it . Peter would not have tried to chop a man's ear off to prevent the only thing that can redeem him if he understood . And Jesus would not have been crucified by the ' rulers ' had they known and understood.

Apr 2, 2020
Every word is for us not every word is to us . Thats all I'm saying and I offered those verses as they demonstrate my point . For example the Disciples are preaching the Gospel prior to the death of Christ, but they are not preaching the Gospel we preach today . ( Gospel = good news of course ) . Now this is where legalists and the sanctimonious will start stripping their gears . The good news the diciples was not the same good news we preach . Evidenced by what Jesus says after they have been preaching 'good news ' . Luke 18 .

31¶Then he took unto him the twelve, and said unto them, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem, and all things that are written by the prophets concerning the Son of man shall be accomplished.
32For he shall be delivered unto the Gentiles, and shall be mocked, and spitefully entreated, and spitted on:
33And they shall scourge him, and put him to death: and the third day he shall rise again.
34¶And THEY UNDERSTOOD NONE OF THESE THINGS : and this saying was hid from them, neither knew they the things which were spoken.
Had they been preaching the Gospel we preach today Jesus would not have needed to explain to them over and over . And them not understanding any of it . Peter would not have tried to chop a man's ear off to prevent the only thing that can redeem him if he understood . And Jesus would not have been crucified by the ' rulers ' had they known and understood.
You state that every word is for us, but in what way is the historical material for us if somehow we're under a different set of rules? There is on gospel from Genesis to Revelation and that is the gospel of faith.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
You state that every word is for us, but in what way is the historical material for us if somehow we're under a different set of rules? There is on gospel from Genesis to Revelation and that is the gospel of faith.
There is not one ' glad tidings ' or one ' good news 'Please show me where the diciples were preaching the good news of the death burial and resurrection prior to the cross . Especially in light of Luke 18.31-34 And yes salvation is always through Faith . Hence my name.

Apr 2, 2020
There is not one ' glad tidings ' or one ' good news 'Please show me where the diciples were preaching the good news of the death burial and resurrection prior to the cross . Especially in light of Luke 18.24 And yes salvation is always through Faith . Hence my name.
There is indeed only one good news, and that is the news of God's character. If there were multiple programs then God would be showing favortism and He is no respecter of persons.

To propose that God's plans have changed is to propose that God has changed.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
There is indeed only one good news, and that is the news of God's character. If there were multiple programs then God would be showing favortism and He is no respecter of persons.

Your not responding to what I'm saying . Your responding to what I'm not saying ?

Derek1955

Jul 2, 2020
...for example, consider the following:

Matthew 10 -

2 And these are the names of the twelve apostles: first Simon called Peter, and his brother Andrew; and James the son of Zebedee, and his brother John; 3 Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James the son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus; 4 Simon the Zealot, and Judas Iscariot, the one also having betrayed Him.

The Ministry of the Twelve
(Mark 6:7-13; Luke 9:1-6)

5 These twelve, Jesus sent forth, having instructed them, saying: “Do not go into the way of the Gentiles and do not enter into any city of the Samaritans. 6 But go rather to those being the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 7 And going on, proclaim, saying, ‘The kingdom of the heavens has drawn near!’ 8 Heal the ailing, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers,a cast out demons! Freely you received; freely give.

This particular "instruction/direction" was given to "the 12"... not "to all, both Jews and Gentiles," for that would not even make sense. Do you think?

We are to be "correctly apportioning the word of truth" (and all of it is indeed Truth... from Genesis through Revelation... but must be correctly "applied" [to/for/about whom or what any given context pertains], for this particular passage is not "instruction" for you and I in "this present age [singular]" ;) )
I am not so selective. When the Christ speaks I listen.

Derek1955

Jul 2, 2020
...for example, consider the following:

Matthew 10 -

2 And these are the names of the twelve apostles: first Simon called Peter, and his brother Andrew; and James the son of Zebedee, and his brother John; 3 Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James the son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus; 4 Simon the Zealot, and Judas Iscariot, the one also having betrayed Him.

The Ministry of the Twelve
(Mark 6:7-13; Luke 9:1-6)

5 These twelve, Jesus sent forth, having instructed them, saying: “Do not go into the way of the Gentiles and do not enter into any city of the Samaritans. 6 But go rather to those being the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 7 And going on, proclaim, saying, ‘The kingdom of the heavens has drawn near!’ 8 Heal the ailing, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers,a cast out demons! Freely you received; freely give.

This particular "instruction/direction" was given to "the 12"... not "to all, both Jews and Gentiles," for that would not even make sense. Do you think?

We are to be "correctly apportioning the word of truth" (and all of it is indeed Truth... from Genesis through Revelation... but must be correctly "applied" [to/for/about whom or what any given context pertains], for this particular passage is not "instruction" for you and I in "this present age [singular]" ;) )
To Correctly Apply meaning to Christ's saying has been a cause of contention between learned theologians for centuries. My approach is much simpler. I believe his words and trust them to be God breathed and inspired. Who am I to second guess that which Christ means by His words.

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
To Correctly Apply meaning to Christ's saying has been a cause of contention between learned theologians for centuries. My approach is much simpler. I believe his words and trust them to be God breathed and inspired. Who am I to second guess that which Christ means by His words.
I’m with you on this one Derek. Faith has been the key since the beginning. Faith in what God has said.

Jesus made a very telling statement as recorded by John. He said, ”You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me;” This was in reference to the OT. If He said He was the focus in those pages, I believe Him.

By faith Abel offered an acceptable sacrifice. By faith Enoch was translated, Abraham pleased God and on and on. By faith healing came to all that Jesus healed. By faith both Jew and Gentile are saved. Faith in what God has proclaimed.

Apr 2, 2020
Your not responding to what I'm saying . Your responding to what I'm not saying ?
I didn't respond to your statement about what they were preaching because that's not the gospel, but evidence of it. The gospel is Jesus Christ, His character, work, and person. The death, burial, and resurrection is an event that plays a significant role but the gospel itself is Jesus Himself.

It is the news that God is as as good or better than men have claimed Him to be but never really believed. To limit the gospel to an event is to miss the forest for the trees.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020

Then
I didn't respond to your statement about what they were preaching because that's not the gospel, but evidence of it. The gospel is Jesus Christ, His character, work, and person. The death, burial, and resurrection is an event that plays a significant role but the gospel itself is Jesus Himself.

It is the news that God is as as good or better than men have claimed Him to be but never really believed. To limit the gospel to an event is to miss the forest for the trees.
Well then 1 cor 15 . 1-4 is not true then?

Apr 2, 2020
Then
Well then 1 cor 15 . 1-4 is not true then?
What about the gospel being the person and character of Jesus Christ denies 1 Cor 15:1-4? Paul simply used the death and resurrection of Christ to typify what they had been taught of Jesus. The evidence that a)He is God and b)He loves His creation.

You just bizarly add a solitary quality to the verses as if Paul didn't have a complete teaching on Jesus.

L

lenna

You may have to give some examples as to what you see im doing ?
I just gotta say baloney

stop pretending you do not understand what others are saying to you. you are not dumb and you know full well what you are doing here

you seem to believe in the pop version of Jesus. the emergent version of Jesus and the hyper grace version of Jesus

those are the people that tell us we do not have to pay attention to most of what Jesus said because He said it before His crucifixion

tag you're it. actually, hide 'n seek may be more appropriate :unsure:

L

lenna

What about the gospel being the person and character of Jesus Christ denies 1 Cor 15:1-4? Paul simply used the death and resurrection of Christ to typify what they had been taught of Jesus. The evidence that a)He is God and b)He loves His creation.

You just bizarly add a solitary quality to the verses as if Paul didn't have a complete teaching on Jesus.
he is not really asking. he's playing around

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020

I'm reading what the text says . Isnt that a good idea ?

L

lenna

well I guess things happen :rolleyes:

it's a shame mr throughfaith that you took the op off course

the op is correct and you are wrong

leaving the thread now so whatever

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
I am not so selective. When the Christ speaks I listen.

A question that comes to mind, in view of what you've put ^ , is, do you believe Him where He had told His disciples (just before He would go to the Cross [die]), in John 16:12-15, "I have YET MANY THINGS to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when He, the Spirit of truth, is come, He will guide you into all the truth [...] and He shall shew you the things coming [etc... the rest of those verses]" [i.e. what we now have recorded in the rest of the scriptures following His death/resurrection/ascension/exaltation].

IOW, do we believe THAT is ALSO "His Word" (having the same authority, being the "word of Christ [/'the word of the Lord']," even though the words are not 'printed in red' ['verbalized by Jesus' during His earthly ministry when He walked this earth], so to speak)? For example, see what Paul had said in Colossians 1:25, "of which I [Paul] became a minister according to the administration [/stewardship] of God having been given me toward you, to complete [G4137 - plērōsai] the word of God". Do we believe He indeed had "more to say," and that this is also recorded via the NT "apostles and prophets," and having equal authority (as being FROM Christ also)??

Another example: [quoting an old post in a different convo... see if you can distinguish between the passages I present below] -

Examine carefully Matthew 24:42,43, Matthew 25:13, Mark 13:33,34,35,[36],37, Luke 12:37,39 and Luke 21:36 [re: "watch"] of the Olivet Discourse+, and compare [/contrast] with the following:

How do you believe the above ^ jives with the following passage (below: addressed TO/FOR/ABOUT "the Church WHICH IS HIS BODY," i.e. all those saved "in this present age [singular]")

1 Thessalonians 5:6-10 [blb] - [explanation in brackets--note how the SAME Grk words are in vv.6 and 10]

6 So then we should not sleep [G2518 - katheudōmen] as the others,
but we should watch [G1127 - grēgorōmen] and we should be sober.
7 For those sleeping, sleep by night; and those becoming drunk, get drunk by night.

8 But we being of the day should be sober, having put on the breastplate of faith and love,
and the helmet, the hope of salvation [an eschatalogical salvation, per context],

9 because God has not destined us for wrath,
but for obtaining salvation through [/by means of] our Lord Jesus Christ,
10 the One having died for us, so that whether we might watch [same Greek word as in verse 6! G1127 - grēgorōmen]
OR [whether] we might sleep [same Greek word as in verse 6! G2518 - katheudōmen--NOT meaning 'death' here as the OTHER Greek word (G2837 - koimaó/koimōmenōn / koimēthentas ) does in the previous chpt! vv.13,14,15--distinct!],
we may live together with [G4862 - syn - denoting 'UNION'-with/'IDENTIFICATION'-with] Him.

[note: THIS "WITH [G4862]" word being distinct from the OTHER "with [G3326]" word that is used of the "10 [or 5] Virgins [PLURAL]" who will "go in with [G3326 - accompanying] Him to the wedding FEAST/SUPPER" (i.e. the EARTHLY MK age, commencing upon His RETURN to the earth)]

IOW, this passage says, "[Who died for us] that WHETHER we might WATCH *OR* we might sleep [meaning the same as those words in verse 6] we should live together WITH [G4862 - UNITED-with/IDENTIFIED-with] Him" (and as said in relation to the previous part of the sentence/context); which wording (overall) is entirely distinct from that which we see in the gospels and in the Olivet Discourse [the Olivet Discourse covering the Subject of what takes place FOLLOWING "our Rapture" (except for about 12 verses in Lk21 re: the 70ad events, vv.12-24a+)]

--So this is my question to you, as to how you see this ^ "jiving" with what you have put [(different convo)... re: the "watch" of the Olivet Discourse passages, and related verses speaking of the same time-slot... such as the Lk12:36-37,38,40,42-44 "when he will RETURN FROM the wedding" [as an ALREADY-WED "Bridegroom," at that point]... THEN the meal [G347]... (i.e. their entrance into the promised and prophesied EARTHLY Millennial Kingdom; NOT "our Rapture" point in time)]

[end quoting that post]

Do you have any thoughts as to how you might explain these distinctions?

[illustration: atheists, in their 'ignorance' (i don't intend to be offensive here :) ) simply say that the Bible has "contradictions," and therefore is untrue and untrustworthy/unreliable, however, we know the truth and see it quite clearly... there is adequate explanation for all "seeming" discrepancies ;) (we are to be "correctly apportioning the word of truth" and are exhorted to "distinguish the things that differ" :) )]